Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

So is this gonna be a thing where four episodes all release at once and then nothing for the next month?

Nope. Episode 5 next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

All the alcohol killed every germ that tried to get him.

As a faithful priest, the Goddess would have to take his soul into heaven for eternity, but since he's Heiter, she kept putting it off as long as possible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ccs posted:

Two episodes into this. I like how its an actual fantasy and not isekai. I'm not thrilled at how much it still borrows the aesthetics of jrpgs though. I wish fantasy would spread itself a bit further, though I suppose that's baked into this setting on purpose with the defeat of the demon lord thing. But it makes me care less about these characters that they seem like stock tropes (i'm sure there's an argument to be made that they only seem like stock tropes because we don't have much time to get to know them, and that can thematically link to how Frieren traveled with them but didn't bother to get know them that well, etc.)

It's at least a somewhat unique premise.

The standout aspect is the production, i was surprised to see Mad House credited for the animation because while they were once a powerhouse of animation they'd kind of vanished from peak animation territory in recent years. The last really impressive thing I saw from them was One Punch Man's original season, and that was apparently because of a confluence of impressive freelancers as opposed to the studio itself. Maybe that's also the case this time, but it does work to put the studio back on the map.

A Place Further than the Universe was in 2018, and that was a real looker. Great show in general, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

The Standard Fantasy Setting it's riffing on is 200% Dragon Quest, both for the Hero class and the quest to defeat some generic Demon King. It's all Dragon Quest and it always has been.

It's true.

Konosuba? Dragon Quest.
Frieren? Dragon Quest.

The epic of Gilgamesh, dating back to the ancient Mesopotamians? Believe it or not, Dragon Quest.

(To be fair, Chargeman Ken, The Wire, Better Call Saul, and Neon Genesis Evangelion are more likely to have been based on Donkey Kong Jr. Math according to current scholars, but the studies are still somewhat controversial, so I don't want to commit too hard. I think most of us remember all too well the high profile claims that To Have and Have Not was based on Gyromite before the discovery of the legendary Hemingway and Bogart "Elevator Action" letter exchange.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Frankly idk why there's even manga spoilers being posted lol

Because later developments in the manga provide a lot more context for the current events in the anime that are being discussed.

It's basically "Yeah, the manga does something cool and interesting with this".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

the fact that it's so much easier to just suggest that they're "like X predator species but genetically adapted to utilize human speech" but ppl have instead sprung to compare them to an AI program is very goon

Because it's a simple example of something that mimics human speech with no real understanding that's been all over the news for the last couple years.

It even has people ascribing human motives to it when they don't exist, for further overlap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

They also basically just Don't breed in captivity, so while actually relatively easy to tame individually (which we've been doing for a very long time), a domestic population isn't doable.

But they ARE big cats who need their therapy dogs so you know, that's neat

That's less true in recent years, fortunately. Zoos had to really rework their methodology to get anything done, but there's been a lot of progress. Dozens of cubs are born in zoos every year now, and about 14 percent of all living cheetahs were born in captivity.

Still well below wild reproduction rates, made worse by the low genetic diversity to start with, but from what I've been able to find, keeping a captive population alive has moved from a pipe dream to a practical fact.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I figure this is something more interesting to me than to most people on this forum, but I figured it was only fair to share the information now that I found it.

Frieren's anime is getting amazing ratings.

(Good streaming numbers, too, but those get messier, since the site supplying them recently changed its methodology)

Now, that's just for the two hour pilot, and ratings have naturally declined for the regular week-to-week, but we're still looking at much better live ratings than JJK or Spy X Family, two established megahits returning for a second season.

Thought this was good from when the manga started, but I never expected it would go this far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Frieren is cool and good, and I'm happy it is getting pretty popular.

Looking at more details, it seems the show inherited a timeslot that used to belong to weekly movies, which gave it a strong start, but it does seem to have kept momentum reasonably well.

That also means, by extension, that it's probably getting a lot of family viewing, not just "anime fans", which is more likely to help the manga sales (since a lot of people who've never heard of the manga will now be interested in the story) but also less likely to get JJK style blu-ray numbers (since it's not the obsessives willing to drop hundreds of bucks on DVDs who make up the bulk of the viewing numbers).

Could turn out I'm wrong on that count, but either way it seems even more like this was planned as a prestige show from the jump.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The thing about Stark and Fern is that they both have incredibly warped senses of power (both their own and that of those around them) due to them being the apprentices of the strongest warrior/mage in living memory, beings who have literally transcended into legendary status due to their prowess. They're constantly comparing themselves to the biggest possible measuring stick and by doing so (as this episode shows) are seriously underestimating themselves. Even when their masters have acknowledged the ways in which their students surpass them (Stark's strength and Fern's speed), because of that warped perspective they view those things as their only strengths compared to others, despite the fact that no, they're both insanely talented in every other aspect of their "class," just not quite on the level of a hero of legend. It's super interesting and another really cool aspect of how this series is illustrating how society moves on and grows so rapidly in the era of relative peace brought about by the defeat of the demon king.

I love this show and these characters so much, y'all.

I'd say that Stark is the more extreme case. Fern seems to recognize she's an above average mage with great casting speed. Sure, she underrates herself, but not on a level that's notable day-to-day.

Stark, meanwhile, thinks of himself as a cowardly hoax who can barely keep up on a good day, unaware that his master hit him that one time on reflex because Stark's raw combat power was the scariest thing that he'd ever seen. This episode, it was demonstrated in him steeling his nerves to accept a mutual kill... and then only getting chip damage as he one-shot the demon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

As we all know from the non-fiction anime JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the last vampire died in the 80s

Then what did they fight in the great Castle War of 1999?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

I think people say that because frieren and fern usually have poker faces during fight scenes. But that's clearly a choice on the part of the animators given how much they emote otherwise.

It's also a thing with people thinking of the manga, where everyone is even more poker faced.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

It isn't just appearance. Qual seems to kill humans on sight, so there's nothing abhorrent about killing him.

And most other demons just delay so they can kill more humans. But the bluff fools people on this side of the screen too because they're pretty.

Smarter monsters are still monsters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

I think he's about 2000-3000

kraft has had a hard life of adventure and ceaseless travel i'm assuming compared to frieren who just lived in the forest alone chilling for 1000 years, now she's about 1500

Sounds pretty short a lifespan for someone who was already forgotten when Frieren was young.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

People know who Frieren is if they care. She's part of history, but she's a B-tier part of history, so people only really know who she is if they're personally connected to her or they're students of history.

How many generals who served under George Washington can you name?

Lafayette, Arnold, and Lee off the top of my head.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

there's no way monocle knows who frieren is if he's willing to pick a fight with her

Maybe he's just willing to throw down with anyone, any time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

To put it in terms you’ll understand,

Frieren doesn’t have instagram. She doesn’t have tiktok or a Facebook, not tumblr before nor after the yahoo purchase. She never had a MySpace or even an ICQ number. Frieren posted a few choice comments on a Usenet threat once about an obscure topic, and the nerds there took it from there and invented a whole field of murder and defense-against-murder magic.

The last time Frieren posted on social media was to complain about Ghengis Khans invasion, and that involved scrolls.

Meanwhile Kraft made a fortune off of Ea-Nasir’s copper

Of course nobody knows who these people are, they’re characters in stories.

If a guy showed up and told you he was Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin you’d have a similar response.

The thing of that is, Frieren is a well documented historical figure. People are still alive who spent time with her during the quest to kill the demon king, even if most of them are very, very old by now.

She's not like King Arthur, even, where there's debate if she even existed. She's more like someone who worked on the Manhattan Project. Sure, most folks wouldn't recognize Richard Feynman at a glance, let alone the members of the project who weren't constantly breaking into locked desks for the fun of it, but if you study the era, you'd be able to recognize people involved.

It's just most people don't care enough to do that research.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, top-tier warriors like Eisen, Himmel, Kraft and Stark (If he gathered his courage and confidence) could probably handle a first-class mage, but it's not like there is a lot of warriors of that caliber hanging around either.

Stark would freak out, then not be cut in two, would blink in surprise, and then he'd bring Ubel in with no real difficulties.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

For anyone wondering, Serie is voiced by Mariya Ise, who you've probably totally heard before and not realized.

Oh, she was Himeno in Chainsaw Man and Inamoto in Dynazenon. Explains why I recognized the name.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I really like how well the "video-gamey" influences are integrated in Frieren. Like rather than throwing up a stats screen, it's stuff like "yeah every single player of courses doubles back each junction to explore every path like duh".

It's fun!

And there's even the casual mention of a "sidequest" where someone is collecting medals. It's just a thing in the world that someone with resources wants that kind of item, and adventurers are aware of it.

Frieren and Delicious in Dungeon approach their RPG worlds from different angles, but they're both very good at building them into believable worlds.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quinton posted:

I got the impression Bocchi also was a pretty big hit.

In both cases, they're good enough that I'm reading the manga while waiting for the more anime.

Frieren has been fun to experience initially via the anime and then follow up with the manga, but there's no way I'll be able to wait until a second season to keep following the story once this one wraps up in two weeks...

Bocchi was a pretty big hit, yeah, but not in the same way.

Bocchi's numbers were biggest with hardcore anime fans. It wasn't only watched by them (the streaming numbers by the end were respectable enough) but it didn't get any kind of numbers on TV, and didn't make the top five for viewing later. Basically, it was a huge hit among the sort of people who'd drop thousands of dollars on merch, but for more "normal" people it was just another seasonal. (Also, it apparently was seen as one of the most male-skewing shows of the year in terms of audience in Japan according to some recent polls, which is interesting given the original author and all.)

Frieren, meanwhile, is a mainstream hit. Sells less blu-rays, sure, but you can get random children to do their chores by asking them what the Hero Himmel would do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quinton posted:

I loved the Ubel bits in this one... her absolute confidence that she'd be able to handle Sense's clone, the flashback to the exam involving her killing the proctor, and the discussion with Sense after the incident where she tells a little story about watching her older sister sew that pretty much reads as a death threat. Her atypical outlook and magic-by-empathy approach fits with the impression she consistently gives of someone quite dangerous and unpredictable.

I also liked the little "Oops" look she gave on realizing she killed the previous proctor. Like "I did not intend to commit a murder, but... eh. Happens."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's probably a decent statement of the priorities of this show that, in this episode, the conclusion of the test that determines whether the protagonists get to continue their journey or have to wait for three years is given roughly the same amount of time as the story about a lady getting mad because her surrogate mom didn't understand her.

(This is why I like the show.)

I mean, it's just three years. What can you do with that, buy a banana?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

also like mana is just a reflection of how long a mage spent training. she was already a powerful mage when Frieren started training 1000 years ago, it would be nonsensical for her to have less mana then Frieren

That doesn't seem to be how mana works. If it was, then demon heirarchies would be pretty much "the oldest one". Further, we see a number of characters assume Frieren's low results from hiding her mana are reasonable-if-low, despite her being thousands of years old.

It seems mana is a mix of training and innate capability, like a lot of other things. If it wasn't, then no human could ever get close to even a hobbyist elf in the field, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I love that Wirbel's whole schtick boils down to "I'm a nice guy, I just look and dress like a shonen villain"

Well, he is a professional killer, but even then he's doing it within a socially approved context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

if I never actually watch the final episode then is the series really over?

Then how will you be ready when it starts up again?