Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

M_Gargantua posted:

The manga tends to show the fights as like a two page tableau, and the animators seem to be having fun turning them into actual fights.

Yeah, the contrast between the in-manga action scenes and the anime versions is wild. For anyone who hasn't read it, that ridiculously pretty wizard fight between lugner and fern took up all of two pages in the manga:

this is a really good adaptation, yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Haystack posted:

It's a small thing, but the action in this sequence generally line ups with Lugner's internal monologue a bit better than the anime. In the anime, Fern was zooming around, perfectly countering everything being thrown at her and carefully picking Lugner defenses apart. She just generally came across as a better mage, in all regards. By contrast, in the manga Fern stands her ground and just barely keeps Lugner on his back foot via a brutal frontal barrage. It generally fits the idea that she's only beating him thanks to her casting speed.

Doesn't really matter, just thought it was interesting how the anime took it a slightly different direction.

I think they tried to cover this part with the bit where it shows alternating close ups of the characters' poker faces as they do basically a beam struggle offscreen

but yes it is funny that lugner is monologuing about how he's way better at magic while clearly getting loving wrecked. it can just be ascribed to arrogance in the context of the anime though

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

GateOfD posted:

I never thought much of the flashbacks in the manga on the hero's party. like a 'oh thats neat i guess'
but the anime treats every flashback with such fondness, i actually care about it a lot now

Yeah, the show did a much better job showing just how much frieren was affected by that. Something else I got from this that don't remember the manga touching on here: frieren's sadness that himmel as he's remembered is not himmel as he was. Since his death, the hero who was strong enough to forge his own destiny has been replaced by the hero who was always destined to succeed.

Himmel was able to make his mark on history, but even so, the actual person frieren knew is fading away.

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 25, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I think people say that because frieren and fern usually have poker faces during fight scenes. But that's clearly a choice on the part of the animators given how much they emote otherwise.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My assumption is that since demons use emotions as weaknesses to be exploited then Frieren realised at some point that if you show any genuine emotion during a fight you're just handing them ammo

Yeah that and it's pretty bad rear end

not usually how people act in anime fights but there's something to be said for it

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah i know if i looked for fanart of this show i would 100% end up seeing some poo poo i really don't want to see

its a shame

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 27, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah man, i guess i can understand people who don't like shonen fights feeling like that arc was a waste of time but both modes of the show seem great to me

frieren can be a kindly old granny, and a useless lazy bum, and the only thing they fear without compromising any of those

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

her suitcase can hold as much useless crap as she wants, she's a wizard

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I don't think it's ever been explicitly explained, even in the manga, but all mages seem to be able to do the trick where they summon their wizard staff into their hand at will

so yeah probably something like that, since the staff is a physical object

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Frieren works on timescales such that she could help with zoltraak research or take a holiday to kill a couple hundred demons as a treat and still have spent most of her time putzing around by herself and falling out of touch

its easy to forget because frieren kind of forces the viewer into her unique frame of reference but fifty years is a pretty long time

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah frieren wasn't just going to let sein die in a swamp when she had the power to save him. she was just messing with him, and obviously fern was not into 'messing with a dude who thinks you might leave him to die for kicks'

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I know this is the Ring Episode but I also appreciate how the anime showed eisen's immunity to fall damage

just dive off the cliff and get up, 100% deadpan

i suspect he was doing that poo poo on purpose just to freak out heiter

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 9, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Nebrilos posted:

Don't you think it's kind of fascist that demons are a race of sapient humanoids that are portrayed as just always evil? Like, if demons are coming to negotiate with you, it's a trick and they want you dead and you should just ignore what they say and kill them or if you see a demon child you should kill it immediately because the only good demon is a dead demon and even demon children are evil.

So, I do empathize with people who were put off by the demons' depiction in that arc, and by frieren's doomslayer-esque mindset. It doesn't bother me personally, but I could see why members of marginalized groups might see parallels to real-life dehumanization and its use to justify atrocities. There's also a lot more I could say about the demons' later depictions, but all of it would be a spoiler, so that's a no-go here.

But I gotta tell you, you aren't setting up a constructive discussion by bursting into the thread and beginning your question with "don't you think it's kind of fascist that..."

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 10, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

It's fine, I mostly thought it was funny.

You aren't alone in not liking that arc for that reason. As alluded to, this discussion has happened many times. Personally I see the demons as a version of the 'always-chaotic-evil race' fantasy trope, although demons aren't 'evil' per se and their psychology is quite a bit more interesting than tolkien orcs or whatever. Still, that's not a great trope! It's ultimately up to you whether or not that being an aspect of the show means you can't enjoy all the things that make it great.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

It's magic

also there was no way stark, at least, was dying from that fall. a couple weeks ago he had a monster the size of a house land on his head and he was totally fine. he just thinks that he would have died because he sees himself as a normal person

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The way frieren's demeanor is presented and the anime's choice of voice actor for her suggests that we're supposed to see her as an adult, albeit kind of a disaster adult. I think that's just how she looks

That said, kraft is still way older than her. Frierens apparent age changed only slightly over an entire millennium so for kraft to actually look like he's in his forties he's gotta be old.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I don't think its explicitly been said whether they're actually immortal or just have really, really long lives. I was assuming the latter, they dont seem as explicitly mystical or 'closer to god' as they are in tolkien.

Kraft seemed sure that he was going to die someday but that could just mean he's sure he's eventually going to fall off a ladder or something

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

The goddess, as depicted in episode 11, looks elivish to me.

https://twitter.com/Anime_Frieren/status/1725535372539736471

Sure, but does the fact that the goddess sort of looks like an elf mean that elves are the first children of eru illuvatar, gifted with eternity yet cursed to be bound to the circles of the world? Are they to come to envy men, who live short, unsatisfied lives but in death leave the world for a fate unknowable? Certainly there's some shared themes there, but all that poo poo seems a little too explicitly theological and destiny-ish for this world. Elves seem more like just another kind of person, with no ordained fate other than circumstance, and no purpose other than the one they choose for themselves.

Of course, we don't really know much of anything about the theology of this setting so it's hard to say for sure.

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 18, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Doodles posted:

The series soundtrack is being released for download on the 22nd (Fri), but I don't see a listing for the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8W3vXlFbys

It definitely feels like there's been way more than 13 songs in the anime even so far

has it been said how many are going to be in that soundtrack release overall

e; never mind, it says 12 in the description. likely all the stuff used in the early episodes

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 20, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah it wouldn't be very clear to a person that hasn't read the manga what's going on there, particularly if you can't understand japanese

Biggest takeaway for me is I think I heard at least one new evan call song in there that sounds pretty sick. also the new OP which is still a bit of a mismatch with the rest of the show but that's fine

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

extremely minor spoilers (nothing about what actually happens): The upcoming arc is very similar to demon arc in that that it's far more actiony and less slice-of-life, so people who enjoy frieren primary for the latter tend to dislike it, but, unlike demon arc, I enjoyed it a whole lot. It introduces a lot of interesting characters that will continue to pop up once in a while afterwards and significantly expands magic, both in terms of mechanics and in terms of culture and history which I always thought was neat.

e; okay fine GEEZ

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 23, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

There's a 'cour break' but its literally just a week, next week

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

AlternateNu posted:

I'm anime only. And I'm still waiting for other tiny elf with creepy smile sitting on the (Demon Lord's?) throne to pop up. :colbert:

The final boss is obviously going to be an elf that went Drow-evil on us.

The twist is that character never shows up and nobody has any idea who they are. It was a practical joke by the animators

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Dub's fine, generally. I agree that frieren sounds older in the dub than she does in the sub, but sub frieren already has a deeper voice than her appearance might suggest, and i think this was an intentional choice. Better she sound too old than too young

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Personally I'd say the aura episode is mostly about frieren's motivations and backstory as well as her relationship with her master. Flamme was the first human she formed a strong bond with so it's definitely important. The power level thing was mostly incidental since, yes, it was obvious for quite a while what was going to happen

That said, if he didn't like the episode he didn't like the episode. It doesn't mean he's media illiterate

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 4, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I guess I just didn't find the demons all that interesting as enemies and I didn't feel that the show needed four episodes to tell this particular storyline.

I mean I definitely agree that the demons in that arc aren't that interesting as characters. I found that some of the other things that arc was saying kept my attention and of course I'm always a sucker for a well-animated fight scene. frieren basically has two 'modes' and I like both of them but I know that's not the case for everyone

fortunately you've got a bunch of episodes coming that are more the kind of thing you like

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

That OP sucks, series ruined

The stop-motion in the ED is delightful though, and glad they kept the song.

I mean its not as good as the first one but some of the animation on display there was rad as hell, i'll take it

episode's good and I think the bit with frieren holding fern's hand while she's sick is one of the most touching parts of the story

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Anyway, talking plot, I don't really understand what Sein was doing in the story except as someone for Freiren to 'do what Himmel would have done' and encourage him to travel, which makes him feel like less of a character and more like a story tool, someone who exists to push Freiren's character development further. He felt redundant - a redux of Heiter but plused up. Gorilla and Sein's story is pretty much exactly the same as Himmel and Heiter, growing up together around the orphanage and then setting out on an adventure together, just with the change of 'what if Heiter hadn't followed him'.

I'd say that sein fills the role of being someone frieren can talk to on a more even footing. Frieren is basically fern's parental figure slash mentor, so although they have a good relationship they don't interact in that way, precisely. She's not as close to stark but she's definitely taken up his mentoring from eisen in a similar way. With sein its not so familial and is just a regular friendship. Frieren's conversations with him are more banter-y.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I mean i'm pretty sure this arc will be more fun with frieren doing stuff in it than not

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ubell's VA is pretty much perfect. That's exactly how I imagined she would sound. Also, I think the anime made Kanna and Lawine even more blatant than they were in the manga. Good.

Well, the main ships in this story are alarmingly heterosexual so it was good to balance things out a little with some characters that are just so, so gay

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yes the elf in op2 also showed up in op1 which was an interesting choice given we saw neither hide nor hair of her in the first cour

notably re: her, the sequence about her in the second opening gives the impression of a great deal of time passing, and yet she looks identical other than changing her clothes. gives credence to the idea that elves get to a certain apparent age and then look that age for most of their lives

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Well, for one thing, are you absolutely sure that nobody involved with the test knows who frieren is? I don't think we've really seen enough from the magic association to actually say that. A couple of the test proctors don't know, and frieren's teammates (who are teenagers) don't seem to either. None of the other test-takers would necessarily have looked at her closely or heard her name.

On the other hand, the old mage who saw frieren's necklace definitely knew something. It's unclear at this time whether he figured out who frieren was after seeing the necklace, or just recognized the necklace.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Kind of a setup episode today, although the sequence of frieren quietly waiting for the bird by the pool was very good

Either way i think there's potential for more episode 9 caliber animation coming up

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Tbh i'm not convinced that a spell that fires a literal magic laser beam takes less mana than a spell that throws rocks (admittedly a lot of them, and very fast).

But yeah fern has far more mana than she seems to and we know that using defense magic in particular takes a lot of mana. So how casually she's just throwing out tons of zoltraaks and defense spells given how much mana she appears to have is probably making her opponent uneasy

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Nebrilos posted:

If demons have existed in this world for hundreds of years and humans have been at war with them for at least a hundred years, wouldn't you think that most people would already know what demons are like by now? For us readers, who are outsiders to this fictional world, we need it to be demonstrated what demons are like (ie, utterly amoral killers who use the fact that humans have empathy against them, but don't feel empathy themselves). But for characters who have been living in this world that has demons in it and were probably told all kinds of folktales as children about how demons trick people by acting like people, but they can literally never be trusted, shouldn't they know by now what demons are like? How are demons still tricking people, like those diplomat demons and that child demon? Or the fact that no one notices that the geas placed on Macht is meaningless against a demon.

Oh man the frieren manga thread loves arguing endlessly about demons, so please do bring this up there. especially if you're going to mention a manga-only character

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ironically, there was a rock throwing skill which felt ever so slightly better. But I think that needed special equipment.
But honestly that magic system felt kind of bad in the way you described. Exploring an obscure path leading to a boss only to find a spell which was objectively worse than the starting one felt like bullshit.

stone of gurranq is arguably one of the best spells in the game yeah

I used it on my dex/faith melee build as a 'thing to throw at rear end in a top hat imps hanging on the wall/other miscellaneous purposes' spell. definitely more 'low level/workmanlike' than 'super flashy' though

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Tabletops posted:

Y’all talking about the natural/elemental magic being inefficient is interesting. I was assuming that imbuing something physical with magic and manipulating that magic would be a shortcut and more mana efficient than giving pure mana shape and form like zoltraak.

I don't think we have any confirmation on that either way, so i guess we'll see

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Huh, seeing this arc animated is interesting because I've always thought of it as 'the shonen arc' but there's a whole lot of chill/quiet moments

It's no demon slayer style 9-episode exhausting nonstop fight

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

This series is gonna end up with a weird number of episodes for a two cours I think. It's episode 20 now and there's still about 9 weeks left in the cour so I guess It'll be anywhere between 28 to 30 eps unless it ends early. That should be just enough for gold demon.

it's already been confirmed as 28 episodes

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

So this is ep 20 and there's 8 more to go and two more exams? This is gonna be the rest if the season or are there anymore adventure of the week interludes before the cour ends?

There's likely to be a couple more interlude type episodes/episode segments before the end

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 27, 2024