Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Finally caught a chance to watch it. It's good. I'm really curious where the season will land but don't want to speculate for spoilers =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Ghosthotel posted:

Most of the story is the traveling / reflecting on connections + bonds, etc but there are arcs where combat is a focus.

Even the sections where combat is front and center are still very much about the characters. It's good writing that happens to have good combat.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Maybe it's just me, but Frieren being doomguy for demon killing makes me less interested in her character, not more. This plot beat reminds me of Goblin Slayer more than anything, really, with her being the only one to understand the full extent of the threat posed by demons. I hope it's going somewhere interesting with it.

Also, the thing about demons being straight up sociopathic human hunting monsters is that they make for really dull villains.

For what it's worth, I think this was the weakest arc in the whole of the comic but it does a abit of needed world establishment. Spanning 2 episodes is pretty reasonably. I also think you are reading a bit to much into what other people are posting. Frieren doesn't have much combat in it and when it does it's primarily character or story driven.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say that Stark is the more extreme case. Fern seems to recognize she's an above average mage with great casting speed. Sure, she underrates herself, but not on a level that's notable day-to-day.

Stark, meanwhile, thinks of himself as a cowardly hoax who can barely keep up on a good day, unaware that his master hit him that one time on reflex because Stark's raw combat power was the scariest thing that he'd ever seen. This episode, it was demonstrated in him steeling his nerves to accept a mutual kill... and then only getting chip damage as he one-shot the demon.

Should probably keep up the spoiler tags since the episode is only a day old but I do love at the end that they animated Linnie starting to run away but Stark's swing comes in way to fast for her to do anything but get cut in half

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Wonder if since Fern learned the “ordinary offensive magic (laced with anti-magic demon)” it just turns demons to dust very easily, but against humans the same blast just knocks them out.

It be neat to have a scenario where a not so strong demon takes someone hostage like the one Himmel killed in the flashback.

And Fern just blasts both the hostage and the demon with a mild blast, and the demon just disintegrates, and the hostage just gets knocked back into a tree and is a little stunned.

It also punches holes in rocks so I don't think it quiet works like that.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Our wonderful running track of Eisen, as the member of the party who is not the Hero *and* has no magic:
-Runs on water
-Tanks poisoned arrows with ease and no ill effect
-Jumps off cliffs for zero fall damage.

Dude's the best.

It also puts things a bit in perspective when he told Frieren that he was genuinely afraid of getting hit by Stark.

I love this episode because of all the little things.
Stark and Fern just talking it out after getting genuinely good relationship advice instead of the typical anime trope. Frieren's brief look when she realizes that Himmel knew exactly what the ring meant
Sein and Frieren interacting, Fern going to Sein for advice because he reminds her of Heiter. And of course the the Heiter and Himmel flashbacks are like a sledgehammer to your emotions in a good way.

Plus

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

And most other demons just delay so they can kill more humans. But the bluff fools people on this side of the screen too because they're pretty.

Smarter monsters are still monsters.

It's the marshmallow test but for demons. Younger demons have more trouble with it.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Fern getting slapped when going for the donut was the highlight of this one. The dance was just the animators showing off.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
It's never spelled out but it's implied that Frieren is 2 or 3 thousand years old tops. Kraft is fuckin oooooooolllllllldddddd but we don't know how much.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
The whole point of Flamme's flashback wasn't that you could trick demons by hiding your mana, it was that you could manipulate your enemies by understanding their cultural and societal norms. Girl was very much into full spectrum warfare.

You also get a nice callback, the spell Frieren uses to decorate Himmel's grave earlier wasn't just some folk magic she had been hunting. It was the favorite spell of Flamme, passed down from her parents and probably the last spell she taught to Frieren, which also just happened to be folk magic. There's lots of little things in these flashbacks that help to inform Frieren's character.

But it is a jarring change of pace and these demons are some of the weakest characters in the show so I can understand not digging these episodes especially if you are afraid it's a turning point in how the story is told. These fights in the comics were like 3 panels each, so no one knew if the anime was going to build them out or offscreen them. They chose to build them out and showed off some gorgeous animation chops.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I kind of figured elves were Tolkienesque in that their lifespan was indefinite and their apparent age was a reflection of their mental age.

Frieren is minimum a thousand years old since she was an accomplished mage who could beat a demon general when she met Flamme a thousand years ago.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I feel like the comic did a better job of showing poor Ehre curling up into a ball to reduce the surface area she had to protect as Fern overwhelmed her. It just felt more explicit.

All in all, I really enjoyed this one.

Sindai posted:

Everyone is so cool

Except that guy who wants to murder Frieren's new friends

Sorry, everyone in Frieren is cool. You could pick any character in the show and make a new show just about them and it would be great.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Frieren should use her potions to dissolve her opponents clothing as a way to non-lethally incapacitate them

No way, that potions valuable you know!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah that makes the most sense I think, calling someone the "last great mage [generic]" would be a weird thing to say when Serie is still kicking, but not if the Great Mages [specific] were an actual, storied enclave* from a bygone era.

* buncha upstarts Serie didn't deign to join

She could also be the last in the sense that she is the only one unaccounted for or she was the last to join their ranks or some similar meaning.

edit: grammar

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Perfect Ending

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Jerkface posted:

If that guy didn't wanna get killed he probably should have worn a stronger coat

Honestly he practically killed himself coming up with that plan.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I think from Serie's point of view this whole association thing was started by Flamme as a way to eradicate the demons. That's part of why she's not a mage for an era of peace and it's a lot of why the organization is so combat focused.

Of course Flamme's greatest accomplishments were all social in spite of her being basically the greatest super mage ever and I suspect in the long run it's really a ploy to make Serie more outwardly empathetic much like how she effectively set up Frieren's journey to reunite with dead Himmel from roughly a thousands years ago.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Frieren not holding a giant hamburg steak or a plushy treasure chest is fail.

Also, what?! I want a giant chibi Frieren thingy. :stare:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Sydin posted:

And yeah Fern is hella talented: we've been told many times that mana suppression is supposed to take decades if not centuries to master, with the only exceptions being Flamme (arguably the greatest human mage in history) having it mastered by adulthood, and Fern having it mastered by like, age 16.

Fern has also been learning to suppress her mana since she was like 6. Heiter was training her based on what he knew from Frieren before she became Frieren's apprentice so mana suppression is just a natural part of being a mage for her instead of a learned skill like everyone else most of whom picked it up hundreds or thousands of years into their lives.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Übel doesn'y actually kill anyone, she just slays them with her hot goth chic fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Well, that might not be the best anime of all time but it's probably the best Manga adaptation I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning work by the studio to elevate an already stellar source material. Here's hoping for 5 seasons of the same quality.