Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

One thing is for sure, Boone knows when his guys are havin' a hell of a game, and he won't stand for an ump not seeing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My favorite thing about managers is the revolving door nature of the job. Every year 6ish guys all change cities as if any of them will be revelations to the team they're arriving at. They're like middling relievers and it's hilarious to me.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I just love the idea that my magic would be sated by "mid-tier FAs".

Just lol. lmao.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

x posting from cspam politoons thread

We must imagine Mr. Met happy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cubs sucks, order has been restored to the universe. Brewers should also suck, however. Let's go the Bucs bitch.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Poque posted:

I trusted you!!!

The Cubs rightful place is the same as the Twins: always good, never great, except when it comes to weird historic poo poo. Loveable players, poo poo ownership. Iconic stadiums that largely play into experience more than being good (though Target Field definitely has advantages over the Metrodome in "good" metrics.)

The Buccos are a scrappy team with one of the top 5 shittiest owners in the league and deserve it more than either of our teams. Plus I don't think their winning would unseal Horrors Beyond Comprehension like 2016 did.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'd also like to manage the Mets, so I'm telling you all, my friends. Someone get Cohen on the phone. Pretty sure I can fill out a lineup card and make the team wear silly costumes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Anyone have the old baseball gif thread?

Specifically the one where ichiro (or matsui?) blows up the moon.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rats. Thanks tho.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chief McHeath posted:

why hasn't a pitcher ever gotten a series of baseballs tattooed from the wrist to the elbow on their throwing arm?

could you imagine how much that could gently caress up a hitter

Umps would require him to cover it up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dick Bremer is hanging it up after 40 years of announcing for the Twins. Here's hoping Cory Provus gets shifted to TV. I've said it before, but Provus and Morneau or Perkins would be an incredible TV booth.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

"Opener" here has a definition as broad as "Millennial" in that it really means "anyone who starts and goes less than seven." It's also comparable because it's only something old people get mad about.

The rest of us call it a bullpen day.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

I don't think teams are building staffs around a bullpen day every four starts

Exactly. It's just Manfred tilting at old guard windmills again. The shift wasn't a thing that caused that much of an impact on the game as a whole, but when it happened, people got Very Upset because it looked weird.

Same thing with how starting pitching has been trending. Are bullpen games meaningfully impactful to anyone but the team using one to give a starter rest or stretching out the bullpen? Nah. But people sure get mad when Ol Hoss Scherzer only goes out for three innings and sits down for the night. Nolan Ryan wouldn't stand for that! Hall of Famer Jack Morris wouldn't stand for that! John Smoltz thinks curren pitchers are pussies!

It's really blatant about how disinterested the league is at the natural evolution of the game from how it was played in the 20th century, and having so many examples of that evolution in the World Series the few years has made it very easy for Manfred to take potshots.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Phillips posted:

the HOMER HANKY.

I guess we still do these, and actually have for many postseasons, but the originals were still the best. Someone posted em all on FB and all I could think was "drat we sure didn't win in most of those years."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sab0921 posted:

Are you saying you dont think Jesus Christ could hit a curve ball?

Are you kidding not even Jobu cam hit a curveball.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

I've been informed that Ohtani loves ketchup on his hot dogs

As such hot dogs with ketchup is how Chicagoans will now take their Vienna Beef dags.

They'll call it Shohei Style.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 5, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Q != E

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

It's way more than that. There's coordinated cheering for every batter. A while back I decided on the Tigers as my NPB team and started trying to learn more about them (they're one of the easiest teams to do this with as there's a well-maintained English news blog written by a Canadian expat guy about them called H-TEN). Literally every player has their own song (usually pretty simple, but still).

Like here was Kosuke Fukudome's:

American sports fans are uninteresting and, like everything else here, ridiculously individualistic. It's all about being the biggest single lout in a group of beer-swilling, bodypainted louts. In the rest of the world it's about being one massive lout such that the other team is so demoralized they just forget how to play. Fans in the US want to be on TV. Fans around the world want to destroy the stadium and/or win the game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hell yeah. This cannot possibly ever go wrong.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

Yeah most of these modern second-generation owners seem to be obsessed with holding costs down and much less interested in winning

What I wouldn't give for a Bill Veeck (Jr.) again.

quote:

As Bill Veeck related in his autobiography, Veeck as in Wreck, his father Bill Sr., who was president and general manager of the Chicago Cubs, had hired Hornsby, and soon disposed of him when the usual problems surfaced. Some years later, when the junior Veeck hired Hornsby to manage his St. Louis Browns for a time, his widowed mother wrote him a letter asking, "What makes you think you're any smarter than your Daddy was?"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Twins are the latest team to publicly announce they're slashing payroll.

This is just for dark horse Ohtani reasons.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

howe_sam posted:

remains seemingly as callow as ever.

...I thought that was a compliment.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Monathin posted:

Do you just have mcmagic on ignore or something?

I do. :shrug:

Most of the Yankees posters are cool and good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I hearby nominate the Chicagoland Baseball Oafs to the position of Cubs co-bench coaches.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Correa is only 29 and played only 135 below average games last year because of his probably terminal foot problems

The foot problem Correa had last year was plantar fasciitis. It should not be a problem going forward. After the fascia finally snapped and the swelling of that went down, he was great in the postseason.

Unless we're talking about The Worst Ankle In History, which is fine, on the other foot, and has been rocking steady for nearly a decade since its repair.

Plus he still played plus-level defense. I absolutely would not write him off yet. Especially through the duration of his guaranteed contract years.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

I love Jack Morris being in the HoF. I had a project going for years of the Hall of Better Than Jack Morris, there are no poo poo near 50 pitchers who were at least as good as Jack Morris who aren't in the Hall of Fame and almost all of them never will be.

Like just for example, take my man Orel Hershiser. He was unambiguously better than Jack Morris. He was more of a postseason hero than Jack Morris (still the only player with both an NLCS and ALCS MVP plus a WS MVP to boot). He also isn't even one of the top 5 pitchers from the 1980s who aren't in the Hall of Fame.

Jack Morris is the gift that will keep on giving forever.

Orel Hershiser is legit and I wish people gave him more credit for being great for two separate 80s powerhouses. I'll just keep using him for easy points on Immaculate Grid, I guess.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The World Series Clause is always ridiculous because Nick Punto and Drew Butera and Francisco Liriano have World Series rings, and no one would confuse any of them for good players.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

live with fruit posted:

It's amazing how everyone's just decided to never talk about what a terrible human being Kirby Puckett was.

I, an irredeemable Twins homer, think Kirby Puckett was a massive piece of poo poo. He was, unfortunately, a very good baseball player. These two things are simultaneously true and are not mutually exclusive. But I would absolutely retroactively remove him from the HoF if we could enact a morals clause.

Horrible person != Face for baseball as a sport.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

maffew buildings posted:

c) keep jazz guitar free

Excuse you competent jazz guitar is fuckin incredible as both a lead and rhythm instrument. Django Reinhardt and Les Paul would both like words with you. (Also Chet Atkins and Allan Holdsworth.)

edit: poo poo, Django was better with two working fingers than some folks are with all four (or more!)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

that just brings us back to the if you can get the correct call in realtime why bother with challenges? just have an automated zone

This is really the thing for me.

And tbh I think we're pretty close in that Statcast/Gameday processing is pretty quick and accurate. It's not even a stretch to assume that a reasonable system could be put in place in the next two or three seasons.

I mean, cricket has modernized the posts and wicket, tennis already has the ability to model every single volley, autoracing has realtime monitoring of every system in the car. It's not like this is an impossible problem. The "human element" is mostly bullshit, especially if you're making binary calls like balls/strikes or out/safe.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Speaking of Twins who have similar careers to other people and then had their careers unceremoniously derailed by injury: https://stathead.com/baseball/versu...tm_id=santajo02

That Santana is a one-and-done is probably one of the biggest Twins heartbreaks. (Also Morneau never getting a chance because he, too, was scrombled, and during an MVP caliber year.)

Those 2000s Twins teams. Still causing despair in retrospect.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Look how great the big contract Comeback Player of the Year Josh Hamilton got turned out!

Or that other Josh, Josh Donaldson!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We interrupt Ohtani Cubsposting to inform the Twins fans that Cory Provus is the new TV PbP announcer for the aforementioned Twins baseball club.

Good. Get him the gently caress away from Dan Gladden and into the booth with Morneau or Perkins or literally anyone else.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That's an absolutely bonkers payday for someone that, again, has never played at the MLB level. If he doesn't pan out, he hits free agency at 25 and probably continues making similar money. If he hits a crazy ceiling, he makes another $50 million and he's a free agent at 27 and names his price. In both cases, he's losing a bit off the back end (maybe) to make life-changing money now.

And, to be clear, this is more money than Mike Trout got while winning RotY and two MVPS (and coming in second twice.) Team control years are loving abysmal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

I was going to say, this is mostly shocking because it makes it obvious how long team control really is.

Just in farting around looking at comps, Mike Yastrzemski is 33 years old, pretty good though clearly not Generational, and is still in arb til 2026. He's 33. He still hasn't cracked $10m.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mdemone posted:

I could get this deal done for the Angels today. It's actually very simple.

Wallet?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So he's about to be My Friend, then. Neat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Phillips posted:

Dave Roberts standing there with a bowl full of brown M&Ms like a dumbass.

Thank you for saying this so I didn't have to.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, for one, recall when Aaron Judge famously did NOT sign with the Giants and everyone within BART distance of AT&T wanted the front office strung up for like a week but now we're all like "lol as if Judge would have ever gone to San Francisco when he was obviously staying put."

We wouldn't want LA's FO to get that kind of treatment when Shohei inevitably lands with the Cubs.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

When I'm kicking you that means make deals faster!