Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1720820719255158982?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

Lol. This is going to be such a stupid off-season for the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I thought Stro might opt out. The market is right this off-season for him to get a good contract. Noping on $21 million after spending the end of the season injured is pretty ballsy, though.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Counsell is coming to Chicago. It’s the funniest possibility.

EDIt: I was just joking but it’s true.

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1721595011270365220?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

:lmao:

DeepDickPizza fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 6, 2023

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I like Counsell. I think the team will be dogshit, but I like Counsell.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

live with fruit posted:

You don't sign a guy like Counsell to manage if you're not prepared to do something reckless with the team.

Oh, they’re doing something reckless alright.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Jed has found the new market inefficiency.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Saw on Twitter that Brewers were prepared to offer him $5.5mm a year, Mets were expected to be in at $7mm, so the Cubs probably just won a very goofy bidding war.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The White Sox letting Benetti get away (to the Tigers!) is honestly so hosed up. What a dogshit organization.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm so fuckin bummed about benetti not just because i feel bad for sox fans who have had one of the most promising teams in the majors turned into complete poo poo through blatant mismanagement from a garbage owner who is also ruining my favorite basketball team, but because as a Certified Baseball Sicko I watch a bunch of Sox games because they're just on here and because the White Sox were extraordinarily funny this year, and Benetti and Stone made those awful games a lot of fun.

:same:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
A very strange mix, but I’m lollin’ at the Padres one

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
l, and I can’t emphasize this enough, mao

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://twitter.com/foolishbb/status/1733585817371615658?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Well, at least now the Cubs have the money to overpay Cody Bellinger before he reverts to being a 1.7 WAR player.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Most non-freaks will learn to love the Dodgers because, come on, look at those guys.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Tatsuta Age posted:

:wrong: all normal human beings simply hate the dodgers even more today than yesterday

Sounds like a freak thing to say.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Craptacular! posted:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he went Dodgers over some other crazy offer because of what it means for his following (the writers from Japan, fans who want to travel across the world, etc). LA and OC are pretty much the same place if your perspective is someone coming from as far away as Japan, since you're arriving at LAX either way.

We’ll see what comes out, but I doubt anyone else was trying to throw that much at him. I do think him going to the Dodgers is mutually beneficial. Being in that prime West Coast location and just being LA will give them a lot of opportunity to capitalize on marketing and merch that somewhere like Atlanta wouldn’t be able to capitalize on to the same extent. Anyone could make money off him, but I do think the Dodgers are uniquely positioned to really make a killing.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Popete posted:

Christopher Morel is hug king

Unfortunately Christopher Morel will not be on the Cubs by opening day.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Amazing. It’s going to piss so many people off.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the funniest thing that could possibly happen this offseason is for the cubs to re-sign hosmer

Don’t you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby!

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I thought the Cubs would probably be worse next year because they were obscenely lucky last year and have a lot of holes to fill losing Belli/Stro. They’re clearly content with fielding an average team as long as the division is poo poo and the bar for playoff entry is low. They seem fine kicking the can another year while they see if guys like PCA pan out. I still expect they’ll make a couple moves but I can’t really envision any big splashes out there that they’d jump at.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Jeter overrated, so what

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Montgomery’s the only big ticket guy out there I’d actually like the Cubs to sign. Not that they’re going to do anything close to that.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's not even going to be that expensive

Are they talking about bringing Stroman back?

There’s honestly been so little chatter in the Cubs media sphere…on anything. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Stroman is back.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

I've never heard of this man in my life, but I already can't stand to look at his dumb face

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Maybe I’m too optimistic, but even if Bauer could come back and be decent for dirt cheap, it does seem like he has enough stink on him that even the grossest owners won’t want any part of him. He legitimately has a reputation that will cause a certain portion of fans to get turned off the product. The trade off doesn’t seem worth it to win a few more games for cheap but have a ton of people stop coming to games.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I don’t think it will “tank” any team’s attendance. Not even like 10% or anything. But at that scale, 1 or 2% is still huge and not really offset by the couple extra wins. Especially when paired with such fans being vocal in their disapproval.

And I dunno what casual fans you’re talking to that have adapted to a gold digger narrative. Most people I talk to are pretty checked out on the details and just know the initial story and maybe that he’s been banished to Japan for it. People don’t pay close attention to this stuff but the know the broad strokes are gross. It’s not like he’s a likeable guy otherwise.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Legitimately shocked the Cubs did something.

Shota seems cool, although I expect a lot of mid-summer dingers will piss people off. Having the Professor and The Throwing Philosopher on the same team is cool, though. Hopefully someone makes a shirt I can buy.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Insane deal.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
What the gently caress are you doing, Jed? You didn’t have to make a move there.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I mean, whatever, a high-A prospect is a high-A prospect, but I do think Ferris is going to be very good. Busch seems like another mediocre putz to throw on the pile with guys like Madrigal, Mastrobuoni and Mervis. There are major league players on the free agent market. You don’t need to trade a good prospect for another AAAA guy. Ugh.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Having six 1 WAR infielders rotating in your corner spots is the new market inefficiency.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Intruder posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but man ya'll are being hard on mcmagic, he's allowed to not like a player

Sure, but he’s being very stupid about it.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Bauer's interview tour was Fox News and Outkick (apparently with former WWE interviewer Charly). If he gets interviews with any reputable outlets then we can talk. I mean, we still can't talk, but we haven't even met that bare minimum of mattering.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The stupid Cubs Con poster mostly listed current players in bigger text aside from a few guys. Like absolutely anybody is more hyped by Miles Mastrobuoni than Kerry Wood.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
God drat, that Hader contract seems bad.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Was going through some stuff this afternoon and found my youth glove: Spalding Frank Viola model.

It was the only glove for lefties at the Pic-N-Save, so that's what my parents bought.

:lol:ing at this avatar in light of the recent convo

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Bah. I really wanted Hoskins on the Cubs. Trading for that AAAA guy made it clear it wasn't going to happen, but I'm annoyed he went to Milwaukee, either way.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Bregor posted:

I very much did not want Hoskins on the Cubs. 2022 had some worrying Statcast or xStat numbers IIRC and now he’s coming off a lost season. Busch and/or Mervis will be fine.

Most projections have Hoskins around 2 WAR and 30 HR. And he seems cool.

Mervis can’t hack it. Busch seems cool but he ain’t gonna do poo poo. He’s another filler bat.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

zoux posted:

Hey man there's just liek certain things you can't say around here

I’d be happy to eat my words, but I don’t see it. The addition of more mediocre guys to play the same positions is just going to lead to all of them getting inconsistent at bats or riding the bus. If he had any outside chance to get better it would be through playing everyday at the major league level and it doesn’t look like that’s happening. The dream is over.

In good news, Trey Mancini signed…a minor league deal with the Marlins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Matt Mervis should go crush some dingers for the YOKOHAMA BAYSTARS. It would be nice. His cool dad would like to do all the fun chants and stuff.