Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://x.com/mrjeffu/status/1721155616453153250?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

maffew buildings posted:

Some of the folks I deployed with said KFC was way better and actually good over there. I didn't have KFC, but McDonalds was far higher quality than it is in the US. Then again I hadn't had US fast food for over a decade at the time and I still couldn't finish a Big Mac because it tasted like chemicals and horrible, but ymmv.

much, much higher food safety standards there for both basic ingredients and the handling of them than the essentially nonexistent ones here, that makes a huge difference even before accounting for differences in seasoning etc

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves as expected are kicking Brad Hand to the curb, someone will take a flyer on him but really looked like he was toast.

More substantively, they're probably ditching Eddie Rosario, good guy but you gotta get a little bit more out of a corner OF spot. Probably will keep Charlie Morton, not like there's a ton of options out there to eat those innings.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

I think some drama happened between the Colonel and the corporate office at some point and that ended up with kinda split paths for different parts of the franchise? So yeah, sounds quite possible that Japanese KFC is different / better.

See them in here mostly in connection to baseball episodes, for obvious reasons, but the Col. Sanders episode is one of the Dollop’s absolute finest: https://youtu.be/Z5PJbEImeQQ?si=QMXWfNckvKd_aq9n

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

feel like Washington probably had his ideal role with the Braves but hard to knock him going for the bigger paycheck. he was a big part of the success of the team and in the overall clubhouse spirit, will be missed but a lot of them may not need the mentor figure type anymore

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

again i'm left to wonder why pro sports teams don't just pay someone to go through players' old social media and just slash and burn it. wouldn't even have to pay them much, a zoomer intern could do it

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

not the basketball thread

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Eric Young Sr. is following Ron Washington to the Angels.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Brewster’s Billions

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

live with fruit posted:

According to Peter Singer, any money that anyone spends on their own wants is immoral.

wild week for Peter Singer to make an appearance here

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Ignore is for cowards.

except for Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Pretty sure the Braves saw the best Lopez had to offer. Still rooting for Soroka. Glad to never see Shuster again. Shewmake is a nonentity. AA’s track record with getting relievers is fairly solid and if Bummer falls apart at least the headlines write themselves.

STAC Goat posted:

That’s like one of the trades I do in the Show where I just trade my bottom three roster guys for the best thing I can get to make room.

Yeah exactly my thought, like doing videogame trades back when that mechanic was first introduced and if you kept adding warm bodies eventually you could trade for almost anyone.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Squall posted:

Pretty wild how many people at the bottom of the Braves 40 man roster were traded away or dropped.

lotta chaff to be honest, pretty much everyone else they cut was surplus or out of options (imagine they would've kept Tonkin at least otherwise). also a lot of waiver wire pickups that didn't come into play. interesting that the one they tendered was Ynoa, who should finally be healthy and has the stuff to hang in the rotation if he can keep his head in games. still a little surprised they wouldn't at least see how Kyle Wright recovers, but there's obviously a huge need for innings this year he can't help with

elentar fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 18, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves were supposedly in on Nola but I couldn't quite wrap my head around that and apparently he couldn't either

he was about as close as you get to a sure thing in this class though for racking up a decent number of acceptable innings, probably a few seasons left on that arm

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

Orel is the anti-Smoltz. I don't care that he's not in the Hall, but he should replace Sm oltz on national broadcasts.

100% behind this specifically but also in the more general “great trade, who’d we get” sense

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

don't see why they can't just have a limited challenge system for balls and strikes specifically, seems to work all right with extremely minimal delay in tennis, cricket, etc.

but then given the circus they've created with reviews elsewhere it'd probably end up taking 2 or 3 minutes a pop

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

reminds me of the greatest moment in baseball video game history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7SfiEc-uhM

always appreciated the umpire crew Yuk / Dum / Boo / Bum

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

it’s funny if unsurprising that the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry functioned for a while as a bonding zone for the absolute bloodthirstiest imperialists https://www.espn.com/columns/mlb/story/_/id/10766849/yankees-fan-henry-kissinger-red-sox-fan-samantha-power-talk-baseball-diplomacy

elentar fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 30, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

euphronius posted:

I’d trade Turner for him

yes please do that

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

well that's left field taken care of presumably, not the biggest bat but slots into the lineup perfectly fine

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

General Bullshit posted:

Very weird Kelenic is being traded to Atlanta and their version of Kelenic, Vaughn Grissom, isn't going back to Seattle.

can’t see past Grissom getting traded this winter but I think they’re trying to make him look worthwhile in his own right, hence playing up the idea that he might compete with Kelenic for time:

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1731544094088782133?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

side question: how long will it take autocorrect to stop trying to turn Kelenic into Kleenex

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Bregor posted:

Mikolas has had a pretty good run too. Sometimes guys just figure it out. Honestly $5 million AAV for any arm that could possibly give you 100+ decent innings seems like a good gamble to take.

IP is such a wildly undervalued stat, just being there to pick up the ball and absorb whatever is so useful

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves really sweating the luxury tax apparently

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

strat-o-matic offseason

apparently Stassi is not long for the org

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 9, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Monathin posted:

lmfao, you know what, props for going "I took a huge L but it was also massively funny that I did so I wouldn't change poo poo"

how is this even a question, obviously later in life whenever Ohtani comes up, you want to be the guy boring your drinking buddies or grandchildren or whoever with the story of the time he sized you up and crushed a majestic dong off you

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mdemone posted:

I'm trying very hard. I don't know if I'm strong enough. I think I would rather just retreat into my shell and never watch baseball again.

it's genuinely not the worst thing to take a break for a season, see how you feel. i had to remove myself from interacting with soccer for a bit because it was loving up my life in more than the normal ways

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i mean this quite seriously: hats off to the dodgers for discovering the new competitive imbalance, which is to have legal counsel who says really go for it

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I should clarify: I think this may result in politicians publicly saying baseball is doing bad things and should be held accountable.

most politicians right now are too busy running cover for genocide to grandstand over baseball and by the time the pendulum swings back I doubt even one of them will be worried overmuch about one unicorn contract

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 12, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

how do you never eat an egg

like how does that happen

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

I can understand not eating a specifically prepared egg meal. Omelets, scrambles, poached, etc. But never consuming egg ever? That's fantastically unlikely, even as someone who knows several ways around using em. Unless he knows precisely where every single food product he eats (and has ever eaten!) came from, Michael Kay is, yet again, full of poo poo.

no i still don't understand it, recent price gouging aside egg is an extremely cheap, easy-to-prepare, and kid-friendly protein, how do you not just get sat down in front of a plate of scrambled eggs or a sunny side up at some point

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RCarr posted:

It’s more likely he’s just loving lying

i get that too but then again like...why? what do you actually gain from this, even the viral storm that will happen from people dealing with this stupidity will subside very quickly

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves just outrighted David Fletcher who honestly seemed like a useful enough piece if you’re gonna be spending the money anyway, maybe something else going on who knows.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

TheFlyingLlama posted:

https://twitter.com/DOBrienATL/status/1735012075028562354

Looks like it's just freeing up a 40 man slot atm unless some other team is dumb enough to take his entire salary

They had a bunch of slots already, only 35 with Fletcher. I dunno, guess the procedural stuff doesn’t have to make total sense.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/1735781184121250126?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Carpenter is not gonna be around long but Kerr should be a reasonably solid AA pickup

https://twitter.com/braves/status/1735808242129756541?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ronald seems to be enjoying himself

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves had to straight up release Carpenter, unsurprisingly no takers even with them picking up the tab.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

I am in desperate need of the Braves announcing they've also signed Giolito, it's incredibly important he and Lopez never separate.

hey, someone's gotta soak up those innings, get him on a short term contract and put him in front of the Atlanta lineup and he could win 15 before moving on to fall apart somewhere else

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Bregor posted:

Also I’m not really reading the last three pages, is it all Dodgers Discourse?

there was a little bit about whether or not Verdugo is a bitch, also highly skippable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

anakha posted:

Ohtani and Yamamoto installing a Bat-signal on top of Dodger Stadium as we speak.

https://twitter.com/ndrewfleeceman/status/1738272470610948428

should be asked why the Angels didn't turn themselves into the destination for top-flight Japanese talent while they had Ohtani right there.

just an impossible level of incompetence, every dollar you put into salary and tax for that you're gonna get back so much more. you got the golden goose and then just waited for him to waddle off elsewhere instead