Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

The front office needs to "Carlos Pena" some veterans, if you know what I mean.

add them to the TV network so they can yell their catchphrases?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Our season being bookended by a 4-0 victory over the Brewers in our only March game and an 0-4 loss to the Brewers in our only October game feels appropriate

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bench coach is most like an assistant coach. It's generally who steps in when the manager's rear end is in the jackpot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was going through old pics last night and found another one that the same guy sent us regarding uniforms in 2018.

Bawfuls how does this fit into your Uniform Theory??

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1709225321386414143

Cubs fans should be furious Kyle is not in Chicago

Bauer's "explanation" reads like a Trump rant, if that helps.

lord I was scrolling down and thought the first line of that tweet was gonna be about Bauer lmao

I miss Schwarbs so much.

Defector had a very funny and very detailed article about the Phillies' unbuttoned jerseys today, it's a very enjoyable read from start to finish.
https://defector.com/is-the-phillies-good-luck-charm-a-dedication-to-himbo-culture-and-showing-clavicle

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mcmagic posted:

I shouldn't have even posted the bauer poo poo. It's a waste of time. Sorry thread.

it's unfortunate timing for hard-to-avoid baseball news. Fortunately we have a playoff game in five minutes so we can let the news cycle move on!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Sign Cody instead

I think the hope would be both, since Pete wouldn't be too cash-heavy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

I'm pretty convinced at this point Cody is gone. Both Jed and Ricketts fielded questions about re-signing him in very neutral terms, pretty much "yeah he was really good for us but we'll see what happens in FA." Compare to Hendricks, who both not only showered praise on but all but said at a minimum they'd pick his option up but would preferably try to work out a longer extension.

I don't think any of this is unreasonable, Kyle is a decision that is ours alone to make if we want it and Cody is not.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if we stop Cubsposting the forums will literally die.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Means the Brewers are going to be the 2036 World Series champions

NO!!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Yes or no: The Cubs win the next 5 WS in a row, but then the Brewers win a single one after that

Yes without question

rickiep00h posted:

Cubs sucks, order has been restored to the universe. Brewers should also suck, however. Let's go the Bucs bitch.

I trusted you!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Yes without question

I almost want to take this back because the Brewers just hit 54 years without a world series and I would love for them to go 54 more, just out of petty spite that is deeply funny to only me (and also all other Cubspilled lunatics)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Wait what, why wouldn't he be draft eligible until 2024? It sounds like he'll be living in the US and going to a US university, wouldn't this make him eligible like any other "normal" prospect?

It depends on the type of college. If it's JuCo or Community College you can declare at any time, if it's a four-year school you can't declare until after three years. It's why you see teams draft HS players in late rounds to lure them away from college, cuz otherwise they're gone for three seasons.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

You may be on to something. I don't necessairly mind the Wildcard series being BO3 as a reward to teams that win their division (thus bypassing the more "random" round), but at minimum the Division Series should be BO7 like subsequent rounds. Virtually a rounding error of all players in the league play north of 155 games per year, so just bag a few and save the pitching.

After we inevitably expand to 32 teams, I would like to see geographic alignment of two 16-team conferences, each with two 8-team divisions. You play the seven teams in your division in 4 three-game series, the other division in your conference in two 3-game series (one home and one away for each opponent), and one of the divisions in the other conference in one 3-game series (half the teams home, half away). This would total 156 games, giving us the extra week we want for slightly expanded playoffs. Obviously you would rotate the nonconference opponent division and sites, so each team would play in each stadium on a 4-year cycle. Baseball is a regional sport; the amount I care about an opponent franchise strictly decreases with how far they are from my team. I imagine the majority of fans are like this.

The four division winners would then qualify directly into the divisional series and host a BO7. Second place in each division would host a BO3 wildcard series. The next two highest-placed teams in each conference would face the division runners up in the wildcard round, with seeding according to regular season records. This allows for 4 teams to qualify from a single division if it is much stronger than the other. Reseeding after the wildcard round would then ensure that the team with the best record in each conference would face the weakest remaining opponent in the division series. I think those couple of changes plus maybe the idea of starting the division series the day after game 3's of the wildcard round to reduce the lower seeded team's ability to line up their pitching would do a better job of rewarding regular-season play.

Right now a large issue with the Manfred playoff system is that the incentives to continually finish higher in the standings don't always line up. For example, it is almost always preferable to be a 6 seed over a 5. The 3 seed being the weakest division winner will usually have a worse record than the number 1 wildcard and there is no gurantee that they are better than the number 2 wildcard. The other issue is comparing the two best division winners. Without reseeding, any time the 6 beats the 3, then the 1 is getting a more difficult opponent than the 2 in the division series. A hypothetical home field advantage (contingent on the 1 and 2 seeds both qualifying) in the championship series isn't enough of an advantage to offset this.

I agree with pretty much this entire post.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Marlins should not exist.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/TylerKepner/status/1713913280144548114

"Last week, Bruce (Sherman) and I discussed his plan to reshape the Baseball Operations department. In our discussions, it became apparent that we were not completely aligned on what that should look like and I felt it best to step away. I wish to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to the Marlins family and its fans for my time in South Florida. This year was a great step forward for the organization, and I will miss working with Skip and his coaches as well as all of the dedicated staff in baseball operations and throughout the front office. They are a very talented group and I wish them great success in the future."

His vision is definitely "we need to spend less"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Someone should hire him to manage imo.

for the amount of raging about David Ross here, the monkey's paw is just quivering in quiet anticipation.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

live with fruit posted:

That they fired Ng because they wanted to hire a PBO over her sounds like they already know who they want.

I hope that person spurns them based on managing to lose one of the better GMs in the league.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Red posted:

How did the Royals win a ring?

Ben Zobrist fuckin' rules

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Get her OUTTA HERE!!!!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
She is BANNED from Wrigley Field.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

more falafel please posted:

so you're saying that now it's clear, she can't go back again?

I will ban you too if you don't watch it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

I am being severely wooshed by this and google isn't helping

I thought it might be related to the bennie and the jets post but it doesn't resemble the lyrics at all

it's from her song "Alive" which was Zobrist's walk-up song for all of 2016 IIRC

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I was talking about my wood elf, Eric Bosmer

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I lost my dad about 15 years ago and very suddenly, too young to process it properly. A lot of my fondest memories are sports and baseball-related. I would have loved for him to have been here in 2016, he probably would have ended up living with us for the entire month of October heh.

Kevlar's dad has really been like a second dad to me, a truly incredible man and I love him a ton. gently caress ALS.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

noooooo stay the gently caress away

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

I learned first hand what the Giants rivalry means

this must have been traumatic as a child.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Can’t imagine why Mookie’s experience might have been different

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

I’m feeling pretty lousy but I just felt a lot better randomly remembering that John Rocker once went on Survivor, his his identity by saying he was John Wetteland, was quickly called out as a bigot and threatened to hurt people, somehow blamed Obama for him getting voted out or something, and then his girlfriend quit after she was caught stealing food and said it was because people judge her for being hot.

That gave me a laugh.

Jeff Kent was the one who yelled about Obama after being voted out lol. But John Rocker exposed himself as a huge coward and it was hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQGWY0woy0

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
IP/start has been dropping steadily since like 2014, we were only slightly above 5.0 in 2023 alone. Not sure this MATTERS enough to warrant a rule change, but I would imagine that's the reason behind this rumbling

This is also going to include openers who are only intended to go 1-2 innings, so the data is gonna be skewed for however many of those there are (not many)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Edit: nice plot Poque but I do think the full history provides relevant context here

Fangraphs didn't go beyond 2000 for those aggregate stats :)

Cackling at the early seasons when the average was above 9. It's like Wilt Chamberlain averaging over 48 minutes per game in 1961-62.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Get rid of strikezone outline in broadcasts and people will stop obsessing over every single missed strike/ball call. Robo umps belong in the trash.

Get a partnership with umpscorecards and gradually morph the on-air outline into the crazy jellybeans as the game goes along.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The 2024 Chicago Cubs open at Texas and get to watch the Rangers raise a flag and get their rings. Here's hoping that this experience imparts The Will To Win in our fresh young hungry rookies freshly-signed and overpaid clubhouse cancer vets

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Has Kyle Schwarber ever made Madison Bumgarner so mad it spawned a meme??

Can Jake Peavy count?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
so much cope in here, it rules

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol they'd never let him into Canada

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=