Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I could respect the soylent-and-vanlife hustle if you were a 20-nothing programmer trying to stack bills on your own before settling down. But going off your regdate you're twice that age and left your depandapotamus back home to raise the kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Vim Fuego posted:

Sexual health is health. Our algorithm does automatically recognize those uses of the product, but recording and retention of that data subset is an optional user setting.

"Smart Mattress Inc. is a Registered Sex Offender"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Snoozero

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

You could do that, make it like the IOT vibrators and revolutionize teledildonics.

"Teledildonics" was coined in 1991. I remember teaching my friends the word in middle school so we could giggle about it. Can we all take a moment to appreciate that it came true?

hbag posted:

i think he said earlier it's because the management don't want people not connecting their mattress to the wifi (lol)

the bed has loving drm

R.E.M. DRM

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait a minute. We haven't asked OP if he's using the mattress that is company sells inside of car

Dogfooding the company product while you sleep in your car, and probably eat dog food in it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

yoloer420 posted:

It's really not immature at all, it's a reasonable question of logistics for your situation.

Didn't Trump literally try to remove all the RVs parked on El Camino because rich people said they were tossing their poo poo and piss everywhere?

OP you should get an RV and live on El Camino though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Charles Bukowski posted:

Are econoline vans a rare commodity these days? Maybe a little truck with a camper on it, you got a place to lay down and a place to sit upright with a light and window to see.

Truck-top campers suck rear end and are super-obvious.

If you wanna do proper vanlife get a used Sprinter, those are professionally converted into B-Class RVs all the time. They're like a mansion inside and no one will blink twice at them from the outside.

Not to encourage the OP, but I did see this startup that lets you frame the inside of your car with a VR headset then order the beams cut to size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq22Apbchdw

At least that looks like it could be legitimately useful, unlike OP's startup lol

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I still don't understand why the OP does not sleep on the company IoT mattress. Does it not fit his race car bed?

No phone reception in the parking garage:

https://www.businessinsider.com/always-sunny-actor-locked-out-tesla-stuck-broken-key-fob-2022-10?op=1

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Imagine bragging about paying $4000 for a mattress and driving a BMW, the official car of "Worst Human Beings In Existence"

the holy poopacy posted:

new goal op: hack into sleep number beds and gently caress up three olives' back. you are no longer a silicon valley hobo, you are now a badass cyberpunk commando. godspeed

This really puts the anal in Competitor Analysis

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

I sold my BMW and bought something more understated and practical.

Oh right, then you were dumb enough to swap to a(nother) compliance car. Hopefully you ditch that thing before Ford disowns it and the few dealer mechanics who know how to work on it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

i drive a compliance car that i bought new 4 years ago and it still sells used for more than i paid if you include the fed tax credit. it got discontinued but apparently has an obsessive enthusiast community keeping demand up. i bet a lot of low volume compliance cars are like that.

Used prices are crazy for all cars because of covid loving the global economy, has nothing to do with being electric. That value isn't sticking around when it dawns on people that it's a black box and X car maker decides they don't want to pay one dork per dealership who only knows how to work on those.

I love EVs but it's a catch-22 because the consumer-friendly thing to do would be to fully document and standardize the high voltage systems, but no manufacturer wants to do that because they don't want to get sued when someone fries themselves, even a 3rd party mechanic.

If it's discontinued or about to be out-of-warranty, you either have to ditch it like a time bomb or wake up every day praying that the car doesn't brick itself from:

- solar flare flipping a 1 to a 0 and now the charger won't handshake

- battery self-discharging to permanent-damage levels when you went on vacation

- hell even a few posts above I linked a Tesla that bricked itself because it couldn't get data reception. If that's Tesla with supposedly the best and brightest engineers in the industry, what hope does an Obsessive Enthusiast Community have for an abandoned EV?

Smart and IOT tech has been ruining petrol cars for decades too, but it's extra pronounced for short-run EVs. There's no reason they can't be about as simple as a 1986 Power Wheels or any DIY electric bike, but tech bros ruin everything on production cars.

edit: and back on topic, the one nice thing with EVs is that if you sleep in them you're not gonna wake up dead like the OP is gonna do when he leaves the AC running and some teenagers plug his tailpipe

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 11, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Now you gotta say what it is. And don't tell me it's a Toyota PHEV please.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

Nah, even though they managed to fix all those Leafs and Prius, basically every new Audi e-tron is going to be scrap in 8 years.

I fully admit to living and working in wealthier than average neighborhoods but they are crawling with EVs of every brand, in 5 years good luck unloading a used Ford Edge on a 22 year old college graduate in a large city.

Leafs and Prius aren't abandoned compliance cars, one's an O.G. purpose-built all-in EV and one's the most popular Hybrid in the world with a mini-economy around maintaining them. That Audi might not be scrap when it's out of warranty but the dealer is gonna absolutely turbofuck you once the EV equivalent of the check engine light comes on.

Young people in large cities live in apartment buildings often with only street parking and/or lovely electrical grids, meaning they have no place to plug in at night. Go tell me how many public charging stations you can find in, oh, say, Lynn Massachusetts. They can gas up the Ford Edge or they can yell at the Tesla hogging the only charger in 20 miles. One well-off gay to another, you have a serious case of D.I.N.K. brain.

Yeah that didn't hold value on merit, it's because it's the only non-lease fuel cell passenger car in the United States and there's maybe 1000 still kicking around. It's a collector's item for Fool Cell Perverts. Congrats you're still in the black on it, but when you get to like a year left on the warranty you better be running to find a buyer.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 11, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

one upshot of plugin hybrids is that you can charge them from a normal outlet overnight, don’t really need to worry about dedicated charging infrastructure

doesn’t help for street parking or an apartment complex unless you get lucky and find a nearby outlet, but when i’ve stayed with family or at an airbnb with a driveway and stuff like that, i can always charge. and of course i can always just drive it like it’s a slightly less efficient prius if need be.

It would be sweet if every parking garage space had a 120 outlet. EV users could get some modest charge, and OP could plug in a desk fan, I'm sure he could use it.

OP: I know you said your work has showers but I promise your coworkers can smell the sedanlife stink permeating your clothes. All that ramen residue reek really starts to saturate the car after a while. Unless you keep each change in like a clothing vacuum ziplock, and bring them into the work shower, coworkers are gonna know you're homeless after a good whiff.

Three Olives posted:

every new luxury apartment development being built in Dallas

Can you hear your inner monologue before your fingers type it out? No normal loving person lives in those. It's some elaborate tax scam. They're populated entirely by Roombas. gently caress's sake.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Can I link my credit card to the AI bed to unlock pay-per-minute Magic Fingers Vibrating Bed mode?

Triikan posted:

You realize that the Honda Clarity isn't only available as a FCV, right?

Yeah but the PHEV model has piles of them selling for $15k so that doesn't add up so what they were saying. More that it backs up what I was saying that no one wants to be left holding the bag, as the prices fall sharply when they get near 100k miles. Way more sharply than you'd see on a typical Honda.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Where's the lols, thread?

OP banned potty humor. We must grow up and mind our etiquette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

"Deepest Coolest (Sharks Fin)"

Deepest Bluest damnit, did you even listen to Samuel L Jackson's rousing speech?