Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I wouldn't go so far to say Lawrence has been "mediocre" but I feel like if he switched draft positions with Purdy we'd be talking about the two QBs very differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think you're underselling Purdy's decision making and accuracy.

I think you interpreted my point backwards. If Purdy was drafted in the first round, there'd be way more fanfare about him winning every game he's played and having no turnovers this season. There wouldn't be nearly as many dismissive "yeah but he's driving a Ferrari" comments.

People would be thrilled with TLaw in the 7th but no one would place him in the Allen/Burrow/Herbert tier.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you look at just stats Jimmy G looks like one of the best quarterbacks to ever play.

Supporting context is important to consider.

Purdy has incredible supporting talent on both sides of the ball and one of the very best offensive coaches in football. No poo poo he’s producing.

If you out Lawrence in that situation then he does better than Purdy.

I mean just compare Jimmy to Purdy then. Purdy—as a rookie and second-year player—is dramatically outperforming Garoppolo. Higher completion percentage, higher Y/A, higher TD%, lower INT%, lower sack %, etc etc.

And hey, Lance couldn't produce in this offense. I don't think things are quite as plug and play as you're making it out to be.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Beginning to regret my Purdy take.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Man Bryce sucks.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd bet a sizable sum on him being a bust at this point. Rookies that look this bad have low success rates.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

As someone that admittedly hasn't followed the Panthers at all, I have some skepticism that Reich and his staff are as garbage as advertised. He has a proper coaching pedigree and some legitimate good years in Indy. It's not an Urban Meyer situation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Whoever wins it'll be kind of unimpressive for an MVP campaign. Like Lamar is a fine candidate this year but it doesn't feel like it nearly compares to his existing MVP season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mr. Irrelevant isn't the one reason people keep doubting Purdy—it's also his name. "Brock Purdy" isn't a proper MVP quarterback name. It doesn't even sound like the type of name you give to a child on purpose.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Doltos posted:

I think my biggest problem with advanced stats is they're just all weighted formulas that are no poo poo things. Like of course if you get a lot of yards on a play you're going to have a higher EPA, which could easily just be measured by looking at the yards. It still says nothing about how those yards were gained.

Yeah.

I also detest the black box-ness of it all. No one takes quarterback rating as an unassailable metric because its formula is easy and laid bare for the world to see.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Man I was amenable to Lamar as MVP but he really doesn't have the numbers for it. He's not top 5 in any QB metric except for Y/A (#4 at 7.7) but he's still way behind Purdy (9.7), Tua (8.5), and Stroud (8.2) there. He leads QBs in rush yards, but is still only #6 in total yards. He only has 5 rushing TDs—WAY behind Hurts (15), Allen (13), and even Dobbs (6).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Then again he is the winningest QB in the league (with a schedule that includes 12 games against likely playoff teams) and transparently the best player on the field in every game he plays. Dude is the MVP. All the arguments against are cope.

It's fine with me. I like Lamar and would rather he win it than a Dolphin. It's just that his case is really bad.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I'm loath to admit it but I think it has to be Tua at this point. He's actually having a special season and he's looked good even with an absent or hobbled Hill.

I still think Purdy was unfairly maligned and his numbers are the most obscene, but you can't give the MVP to a guy that gets benched on Christmas for Sam Darnold on principle

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So yeah obviously now just give Lamar the MVP. I've been sated.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cards cut Rosen. Hard to move on from a guy when he's still on your team. Ask the Jets.

The Cards traded Rosen to Miami and got a decent return for him. They got like a second-rounder and change.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you can wrangle a Day Two or better pick from another team for Young, you take it in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, yeah, might as well keep him on the roster and let him compete with Dalton for a starting job. Just don't do what the Jets did and force the team to roll with an-almost-certain bust with no viable escape hatch.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Doltos posted:

Plenty of QBs bounce back from terrible rookie seasons.

I guess it depends on how you define "bounce back," but there really aren't many QBs with terrible rookie seasons that become solid starters or better. This comes up every offseason and you can't get through one hand until you're starting to count QBs that were drafted nearly two decades ago.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

wandler20 posted:

C'mon, Flacco and Tannehill? Geno is borderline. So basically a handful and a bunch of old guys like the post said.

Nevermind, like, including Jalen Hurts's four-game rookie season or trying to pass off 2023 stats as comparable to 2009 stats.

It's fine, every year in perpetuity we'll convince ourselves that draft prospects that were never meaningfully billed as "projects" actually were and then insist the Zach Wilson's of the world get second and third seasons because they might reach the lofty heights of Geno Smith one day.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

2009 QB stats are actually pretty comparable to 2023 stats. In 2009 Brees led the league with 34 TDs vs Dak’s 36. Schaub had 4770 yards vs 4624 for Tua. And that’s with the 2023 seasons including an extra game. It was probably a little harder to play QB this year than in 2009.

They're not comparable. You just took the top performers from each year and arbitrarily chose just two of their numbers.

Interceptions for the median quarterback were way higher back then and completion percentage way lower. Matthew Stafford's rookie stat line was not nearly as ghastly by 2009 standards as it is by 2023 standards.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Looking at the the guy ranked 16th in each year they’re comparable on TDs, TD%, Y/G, Y/A. Sack rates are higher in 2023. Completion percentage and INT% are lower, which is probable related to the above in addition to modern schemes simply focusing more on intermediate stuff and high probability passing.

2009 wasn’t exactly the bad old days for QBs, you had some of the most prolific QB seasons ever in that era.

Yes, they're comparable in passing yards and passing touchdowns. They're not comparable in completion percentage or interceptions.

Matthew Stafford's rookie year stat line looks hideous in 2023 because he has a low completion percentage and a bad TD:INT ratio. His yards per game and TD% were fine.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not arguing that Stafford didn’t have a better rookie season than Bryce, he clearly did, I just think the idea that 2009 was basically like 1985 and that it was so much harder to play QB then is silly. Whatever rule changes have come out to benefit QBs have been offset by the fact that offensive lines simply can’t protect QBs consistently anymore. 2009 is the modern passing era. Drew Brees wouldn’t throw for 6000 yards if he was playing today.

Man what on earth? How are you contorting "Matthew Stafford's 2009 stat line looks worse by 2023 standards" to "Drew Brees would pass for 6000 yards today?"

I feel like you just made a weird contrarian post without thinking too much about it and now you're tripling down in an incredibly esoteric way.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your being unfair his point is that the entire argument is 2009 was harder. It really isn’t if it was easier then Brees could throw for 6k

I made the original argument! I said you can't pass off 2023 stats as comparable to 2009 stats. I didn't think that was controversial.

fsif posted:

Nevermind, like, including Jalen Hurts's four-game rookie season or trying to pass off 2023 stats as comparable to 2009 stats.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If it was so much harder to play QB in 2009 then surely all of the top QBs from that era would easily outperform their 2009 numbers right? Why wouldn’t the numbers go up? It’s easier to get completions and throw fewer ints, that’s got to translate into more yards, TDs, etc.

No. Not at all. What? It's not a matter of debate; literally, completion percentages were lower and interception numbers were higher in 2009. It didn't translate to dramatically more TDs or yards.

I mean, sort these by INT and completion % if you don't believe me (2023 & 2009), but…

QB16 in INTs, 2009: Carson Palmer with 13 INTs, 2.8 INT%
QB16 in INTs, 2023: Dak Prescott with 9 INTs, Jordan Love with a 1.9 INT%
QB16 in completion %, 2009: Chad Henne with 60.8%
QB16 in completion %, 2023: Justin Herbert with 65.1%

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Does anyone think the Panthers drafted Bryce #1 overall to be the next Goff or Geno?

I think anyone would be thrilled to draft league median QBs that peak six or seven seasons in on entirely different teams.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

On every chart in existence that has a line like that, above the line = good and below the line = bad

That is a trend line and that is not at all what it means.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Then what does it mean?

It's just showing a positive correlation between the two goofy made up stats. An inverse relationship between the two would show a line traveling from the top left to the bottom right.

In the Mullins case specifically, his EPA/play is a bit lower than one would expect given his CPOE. However, his dot is still squarely in the upper right quadrant, both above and to the right of the red grid lines that represent an average. He's above average in both stats but exceptional in CPOE.

So it's a pretty dumbass chart, is the short of it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Legitimately think this is the best rookie QB I've ever seen.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you treated the NFL like a Madden simulation, Stroud would be the single most valuable player. The Bills would probably be better with Stroud and Tee Higgins and tons of money over the next three years than they will be with Allen and his contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Very much in favor of transforming MVP into a backhanded compliment award, given to the league's most underpaid player.