Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1712162416807858439

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

ooh I love trivia like this which lead me to find:
there's only one player since the year 2000 to score 40+ goals with a <60 point season

here are some hints in increasing order of helpfulness
He played over 1000 games

He was a former star player than ended up the Rangers but didn't live up to his contract

He accomplished this feat playing for the Blue Jackets

He was selected 1st overall
Nash in 03-04. He won the Rocket Richard trophy that year (it was a 3 way tie with Iginla and Kovalchuk) in maybe the worst scoring environment in memory. Compare to last year where 19 players hit 40 goals.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Weird how everyone seemed to know he sucked other than Pierre Dorion. This is his eighth year on the job and he's still coasting on Karlsson carrying a team he had nothing to do with building to the ECF. They haven't made the playoffs since. When is it the end of the line for him?
I couldn't tell you what Andlauer thinks but as a new owner he really has no reason to be beholden to Dorion and he did hire Staios who wouldn't have any affinity towards him either.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1717559251877470421

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bub spank posted:

Apparently Pierre Dorion is about to get fired, too. Which would be great! Except he’s rumoured to be replaced by Chiarelli. Which is bad!
Good loving god

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Jfresh posted: "Did not have them pegged for powerplay merchant"

Uh... The gently caress did you think was going to be the case?
The Devils? Why would you expect that? They had the best even strength offense and an average powerplay with below average opportunities last year and none of the changes they've made should move the needle in the other direction

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Backstrom should and I am pretty certain will be in. 1000 points in a low scoring era and a Cup has mostly been enough to get in and I think it helps that he was only a single team that was pretty successful for his tenure. Twice in the top 5 in scoring, 5 times in the top 10. I think he'll wait to get in but I don't think the HHOF is going to be super strict on him in particular.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Thankfully, Staios is the interim GM.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Give him the job, imo:

• Great record managing junior
  • No expectations for the sens right now
  • He's new and would take a cheap deal
  • Isn't Peter Chiarelli

What's the downside?
For him, he's already the President of Hockey Ops so he's either doing two jobs or getting a demotion.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The Sens were a rebuilding team and shouldn't have been expected to perform better than they have up to this season. But now it's time to shut the gently caress up and win some games. What loser energy all around
I think they expected to be better last year.

I also can't imagine that ownership/management have any investment in DJ Smith besides not wanting to pay 2 coaches. He's now one of the longest tenured coaches in the league with 0 results to show for it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AntiDepressor posted:

Every team he goes to seems to hate him despite his production being decent
He's had a lot of down years mixed with the good ones and had a really bad contract. It was still probably a bad idea to buy him out but in the end Ottawa, Columbus and Nashville really regret getting him in the first place.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mennoknight posted:

I don't care what numbers you throw at me. Curtis Lazar is many things (a cool guy, a guy with a cool name, a lover) but he is not 'good'
Seconding this

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

What was the knock on this kid again? Because, just a quick look at Hockeydb shows he has been destroying OHL after he got drafted, and is now doing well in the AHL.
ThinkTank had some effort posts about him earlier in the year.

ThinkTank posted:

I live near Barrie and have seen Clarke play in person many times. The reason we haven't seen this production from a defenceman before is, aside from the fact he is listed as a defenceman, he has nothing in common with a defenceman. He makes Karlsson look like a committed defensive stalwart. He'll put up points in the NHL but "high risk high reward" does not begin to summarize his play. He'll likely bounce around teams because he is so absurdly maddening for coaches. He can put up points but oh my god he just invents new places on the ice to be to make that possible. Ever seen a defenceman set up in front of the net off the rush? Leave the attacking zone to skate around centre ice for no reason? Brandt Clarke'll do that.

ThinkTank posted:

His partners serve almost no purpose. They are there to delude the opposition into thinking Brandt plays a conventional style of hockey. Defensive side isn't so much an afterthought as an inconvience to Clarke. He'll play both sides on any given shift and his partner just has to accommodate (usually with a look of panic on their face as they scramble across the ice). Where Gretzky played with the mindset of going where the puck will be, Clarke instead focuses on being anywhere he wants and then using magic to draw the puck to him. Quite often he'll set up in a shooting position in a place that, to the outside observer, makes no sense. Like in the middle of the ice while the puck is being held halfway up the far boards. He'll stand there waiting for a one timer and you'll wonder what in God's name he's doing and yet the puck will pop off the boards horizontally on his stick at the exact velocity and position for him to snipe an unscreened wristshot instead of being kicked up or down the boards like it would in 99.9% of other cases.

I don't even want to use someone like DeAngelo as a comparator. He's just your conventional high risk defencemen cranked up to the max, you know what you're getting there. Clarke is just so unlike any other defencemen. I wouldn't even say he's bad defensively really, he's good at angling guys off the rush, just wholly unconventional as to how he gets to be there to do so. I feel like I'm overstating this, but then I think about some of the insane things I've seen him do and I just can't describe him any other way.

Like, he's the only defenceman I've ever heard of trying the Michigan and he pulled it off during a playoff game last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocxyMH7PrE

Twin Cinema posted:

What ever do you mean? The Leafs just have really bad luck.

Speaking of defensemen, we are very close to having Quinn Hughes and Makar leading the league in points. Not only am sure that I have never seen this before, I am not sure if it's ever happened in the NHL before.
If you mean be 1-2 in scoring than definitely not. Orr only led twice and in those years the next defensemen were 56th and 27th in scoring.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Rex lol come on man. I get he has a thing with Pittsburgh but he’s built a solid contender everywhere except Vancouver. which doesn’t count because it’s Canada. i still laugh though about him being so American that he lived in Point Roberts and commuted that insane drive
Columbus wasn't a solid contender and I'd say the Rangers were good before he came and after he left.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Does anyone if the leafs organization stop to wonder if it's something they're doing to the goalies that's making them all bad as soon as they get them?
They;ve gotten good seasons out of Samsonov, Campbell and Andersen. Regular season wise it hasnt been their issue.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://x.com/Senators/status/1741519599797936195

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Why are the numbers on the right for '22-'24 instead of '23-'24?? :psyduck:
Bacon, the guy who produces those numbers, doesn't have the separate numbers for this year until about the halfway point of the season (a combination of low sample size and it being too much effort to update them all constantly) so it's the combined numbers for the past 2 years in the right column (which is why it's 114 games). In the case of big changes like Marner's EV Defense it means that it going down nearly 30% is actually a much bigger drop than to just "slightly above league average".

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bub spank posted:

https://x.com/darrendreger/status/1743772358744141983?s=46&t=JGipJoH3wkxHlVpI9Q8vww

All due respect to Staios, but I don’t get what he’d be doing here. The only non-young talent on the Sens is Giroux (arguably their best player), Chychrun/Chabot/Zub (good defensemen who would be tough to replace), Tarasenko (free agent who will be traded at the deadline), and Kubalik and Hamonic (awful players who nobody in their right mind would trade for).
Seems like they'd be doing a move just to do a move, which is what you always want to see. I don't know what trading a depth player or even someone like Tarasenko would do to change "the makeup of the team".

I do think Chychrun won't be a Senator super long since he's a UFA after next year and I'm really doubting that he extends.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

It’s amazing that when you look at Lou Lam’s career and people asking what makes him so good it’s just “drafted Martin Brodeur” and “has a dedication to winning.”
He was objectively great for a long time in New Jersey, it's just that we're talking about poo poo that happened 2 or 3 decades ago.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Senators are unwatchable.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Simplex posted:

Who watched an Oilers game when they were coached by Woodcroft and thought he was doing a good job? That dude was obviously a bad coach.
He seemed fine, and when he was first hired the Oilers had a good bump in play.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Levitate posted:

Dude has a disorder
Yeah, and one of the symptoms is he can't stop scoring

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They should give the Sens their 1st rounder back for not just rostering Formenton the whole time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I am surprised McDavid hasn't hit 90 before, but I guess he did balance out his assist total last year with 60+ goals.

90 assists has only been achieve 30 times, and Gretzky accounts for 13 of those times.

Thornton was the only player to do it this century.
McDavid also had 72 assists in 58 games in one of the Covid shortened years.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Beer Gay So What posted:

Lying about height in hockey I thought was just a known thing, my juniors coach listed me at 5'11 and 215 pounds when I was 5'8 and like 165 soaking wet
I'm sure it happens but there's also a lot of internet people that guess heights and come up with insane conclusions.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Those are two really stupid ideas.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Return seems fine to me.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The couple kissing in the middle of the street with riot police

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1768262286244790701

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah that was definitely one of the years that people started engagement farming by putting the #2 player over the long-term consensus #1, gotta get people to click somehow. maybe they were right

Tavares definitely has managed to maintain his productivity, but back then there was a lot less emphasis on skating too. Hal Gill and Mike Komisarek were not only still in the league but signing big contracts, and while speed was obviously on the radar I don’t think anyone could accurately predict just how much more important skating has become every year since then.
The Islanders were also a part of the equation since they were not openly committing to picking Tavares in the way most teams picking 1st do.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Spezza was another player who went from being the next Gretzky/Lemieux to regular top of the draft prospect because of skating concerns. And he would've been an easy Hall of Famer if his back hadn't exploded several times.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Tavares was a Hart trophy finalist twice. He had the misfortune of peaking during a period when scoring was down. He easily has a better career than Marleau and Spezza.

But he’s still only a possible HOF candidate, I think, rather than a slam dunk.
Unless he breaks down immediately (which is a possibility) he's getting in. In general all these guys we think are borderline are going in and you have to worry about them inducting Rick Nash.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

My first thought was Tavares doesn't get in without individual hardware, but there's a lot more guys in without them than I realized. My favorite so far is Bernie Federko playing in two all star games and being player of the week once.
Yeah, no hardware describes a lot of very high level players. Like Gretzky alone blocks just about every other forward from winning one of the big awards in the 80's.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Kucherov with another 4 point night. He's on pace for over 140. Remember when no one broke 90 points

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Wait, why are we all changing opinions on Ovechkin now? Because he has recently put up numbers akin to Drake Batherson?
It's opinions relating to his chances of breaking the goals record. If he had a 15 goal year (which was his pace) it'd be pretty reasonable to think he's fully cooked and would retire before breaking the record. If he's still a 30+ goal scorer than he'd break it within 2 seasons.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Habibi posted:

Speaking of depth, I had not realized that Dallas is on the verge of having 8 20-goal scorers this season. Would that be a record?
No. Off the top of my dome the 93 Capitals had 9 and I doubt they're the all time leader.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

I was on the Stars bandwagon weeks ago.

The Oilers must not win. They cannot be rewarded for a decade of tanking.
They didn't tank, they just sucked total poo poo and were run by morons. I don't think they did any "intentionally lose" moves the way that the Sabres just traded all their goalies in the McDavid year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

th3t00t posted:

Kind of shocked that Ovi is 63 assists ahead of Matthews in this timeframe.
Ovechkin was top 10 in assists for 3 years in this period. It took a while before he started putting up twice as many goals as assists.

The Dirty Burger posted:

In hindsight, post-lockout hockey was a kickass time to be a fan. Dead Puck Era over, Crosby vs Ovi calder race and then all the playoff matchups they had that lived up to the hype. gently caress that whiny fat bastard Brodeur forever for getting rid of Ovis tinted visor
It was just a completely unpredictable year. If you looked at the preseason predictions that year there were a fair amount of people expecting the Bruins or the Penguins to be major contenders, the Flyers were the overall favourites, Carolina and Buffalo had the second worst odds...

The double rookie class was wild. Lundqvist was nominated for the Vezina but not the Calder.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Powershift posted:

is there a single player who finished every season in the +
Yeah. Larry Robinson did, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Forsberg would've done it if not for his 2 game comeback in 2010-11 where he finished -4.