Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Here's a lot of words on why PLD forced trades from both Columbus and Winnipeg:

I'm not sure this:

Is the flex the author thinks it is.

https://twitter.com/WPGMurat/status/1713909556747579788?t=pm7QHv2zOnhl6NSkXeMPcQ&s=19

E-
https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1713917785107988619?t=M1vr6rHvc9MEoqibnmpiiA&s=19

Grats on your win, Wings.

If you actually read the article, it's pretty clearly not meant as a flex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
There was a former jet who got his leg cut in a practice and almost died but another player held it closed until paramedics got there. I have in my mind that it was Mark Flood and Ben Chiarot but I can't find anything

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
How much do you think Shane Pinto and a future first round pick are to the value of an NHL franchise? Like are we talking 100 million, 200 million? Is Andlauer a huge Pinto fan

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Who is even available?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Waiting to hear how long Connor is out and how boned the Jets are. Hard to replace his goal scoring

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

He knew it would blow up virally and get clicks and ad dollars. Then he gets more mileage out of it on the follow up human interest articles and subsequent attention.

Maybe he’s genuine, I don’t know, I’m often too cynical these days.

Eh there's a difference between something blowing up on Twitter and blowing up so much it leaves Twitter. I'm sure the reporter knew it would blow up on Twitter. But who would have guessed that saying no comment would end up getting him booed. Players say similar things about recently fired coaches all the time.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Winnipeg has been great lately. 20+ games in a row allowing 3 goals or less, top line of Ehlers, Scheifele and Vilardi has been dominant. Vilardi has 13 points in 13 games. (PLD has 12 points in 29). Scheifele is playing more of a complete game. Morrissey is quietly having another great year. Hellebuyck had a streak of 12 quality starts in a row up until the last game. He's back to being one of the best in the league after a poor start.

Chevaldayof has been the GM of the team since the return in 2011 and he has definitely bought himself at least another year. The PLD Trade looks great. Scheifele and Hellebuyck signings look great. Buying out Wheeler looks great. Re-signing Namestikov and Neidereiter looks great

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Cole Perfetti is really good too, hopefully he can stay healthy all year. Gabe Vilardi rules, really nice hands he’s great at stickhandling to creating space for himself in the slot to get a shot off. They’ve got some decent prospects on the Moose too in Brad Lambert and Chaz Lucius.

Maybe Blake Wheeler was the problem all along

Yeah Perfetti is fun to watch. Always seems to find guys for an easy tap in. I'm looking forward to Heinola getting healthy and in the lineup. I think he'll be a big boost for the second PP. Him and Perfetti had great chemistry on the Moose PP.

It's kind of too bad about Wheeler. He was the best Jets player for a long time and a fan favorite. He just needed to be kept out of a leadership position. I think he'll ultimately be remembered fondly in Winnipeg though.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
True North basically owns all of downtown Winnipeg. There is no way the team is moving

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Ryan Hartmann hit Cole Perfetti in the face with his stick after a faceoff and Perfetti had to get stitches. Then Hartmann told Perfetti he did it on purpose as payback for Dillon hurting Kaprizov the game before. Dillon and Lowry both fought before this to satisfy the 'code'. Perfetti was wearing a Mic and had proof that Hartmann did it on purpose.

The NHL gave Hartmann... The maximum allowable fine

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Jhet posted:

Seems reasonable to me. Dillon didn't even have to pay a fine for injuring Kaprizov. It's not like it wasn't obvious that Dillon was targeting Kaprizov's lower back the whole game. Just more inconsistency from the NHL. So the refs weren't going to do anything, why not take some cheap shots?

Yeah I don't understand why the NHL doesn't crack down on those sorts of cross checks. They happen all the time and regularly cause injuries, and refs and the NHL don't seem to care.

But when someone who gets suspended as often as Hartmann Gets caught on Mic admitting to purposely swinging a stick at someone's head you should probably give more than a fine

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently the audio from mics worn in game can't be used in disciplinary proceedings lol

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Jhet posted:

I'd be perfectly happy for the NHL to consistently call those things. Then you could consistently also deal with Hartman and his poo poo stirring and I'd have no complaints. But you need to take care of the actions that are causing injury which they've not done. In the last two years it's those lovely cross checks that have knocked Kaprizov out for longer injury rests, and he's not the first the first player to get taken out by them. So if you're not going to take care of those as there is a risk of injury in them, then I don't mind the poo poo stirring back to also not get punished severely.

Can't wait for this to happen again in 10 days when Minnesota and Dallas play a home and away series as well. Suter is one of the old masters at those garbage cross checks.

I think Hartmann is more than just a poo poo stirrer who does things in retaliation. He is regularly the one causing injuries as well.

But yeah the NHL needs to improve the reffing and be consistent. They let things get out of hand in one game and then call a bunch of phantom penalties the next and it does nothing to keep things in control

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

A team that employs Hartmann and Foligno who have hurt Jets stars in the past...

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Either way the February 20th game is setting up to be a disaster, or maybe amazing if no one ends up hurt

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

I mean, when I'm at a job interview I always say I am genuinely excited to work at X company even though that is rarely true. What else are you going to say?

That 17 year old is a little more employable than most people

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Unless they're trying to publicly make a point that they won't throw former players under the bus.

... Except then they wouldn't be talking trash about Gauthier. So who knows

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm actually not going to let my shitpost just float, because I do actually like the blue line. I played a lot of roller hockey growing up and based on that, I think getting rid of offside would actually slow the game down quite a bit because it'd promote possession-at-all-costs play.

Yeah the 3v3 overtime has gotten worse because of this. Teams exiting the zone and resetting rather than get into a puck battle where possession could change is boring.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
How many millions have these guys made in the last 6 years?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I read on Wikipedia that they couldn’t even find a team to trade his rights to last summer, so he must be so obviously guilty in a way others are not.

That’s just me speculating, though.

I seem to remember that one of the players was texting the woman trying to get her not to go to police/ tell anyone. Maybe he's the one

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Flames had a mental health awareness night last night lol

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I hope I'm not minimizing the culpability of the rapists when I say this, but where the gently caress was Hockey Canada and adult supervision for these U20s?

I know the answer.

All the management and role models are ex-players, who played junior. The while loving organization should be liquidated and retired. This is disgusting.

Hockey Canada was amassing slush funds to pay their sexual assault settlements

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

Should the league ban Canadian players for this? And Americans for their support of Israel? And Russians for their support of Putin?

Read more in my newsletter.

Can probably skip the middle man and just ban Americans for their support of America

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Laine's video gaming has gotten out of hand.

Seriously though hope he's okay

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get that when you're having a good year you go for it and all that. But--separate from the issue that Sean Monahan is not really an impact player--for a team like the Jets, the only way they are ever going to get a star on their team is by drafting one. Trading high picks for non-stars is IMO almost always a bad idea, but for Winnipeg it's an especially bad idea.

They already have several stars. It's definitely an overpay, but the group they have now is getting old. They need to go for it now. No use saving picks.

Whether this is the move that helps them win I don't know. If it convinces Bones to play Ehlers and Perfetti more it is a win

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah if I'm Winnipeg I'm going all in this year. Those sheif and helly contracts are gonna get real bad real fast. Monahan will be fine if he's just depth.

Yeah the jets have 2 or 3 years before all their best players are past their prime. Swing for the fences now. No point in keeping a draft pick that will be in the NHL when scheifele and helle are 36

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Starsfan posted:

lol i was about to comment about how it seems like Vegas is about a week away from playing themselves right onto the playoff bubble.. they got to sort some poo poo out.. I saw reports they activated Eichel from IR today so that should help keep them in it, but who knows.. they've had late season collapses driven by injuries before..

I dont know it will be Dallas finishing 1st in the division though.. Winnipeg has 3 games in hand on us and the tie breaker. It's hard to see Dallas doing that much better than Winnipeg the rest of the year to make up that deficit.

Bowness absolutely refuses to split Connor and Scheifele despite the fact that they allow more goals at 5v5 than they score, and have for their whole career together. It doesn't make sense for a defense first team. They would be a much better team if Connor was on the second line.

The Jets would be 2 and 10 recently if they had an average goalie instead of the best goalie. They could very easily collapse like they did last year.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress the Jets but I am happy for Bowness even if I never want him anywhere near my team again

Happy for Bowness to be sent back to Winnipeg for medical procedure?? SMH, Disrespectful

When Arniel had the reins earlier in the season he gave more leeway to skill and young players. So let's see if he leaves Stanley in to fight Rempe or pulls him out in favor of better defensemen

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Eerily similar to last year, red hot start and then actively making GBS threads their pants come February, barely holding on to a wildcard spot. Is it a Rick Bowness thing?

It seems like everyone but the coaching staff has figured out that Scheifele and Connor are so bad defensively that it more than cancels out their offense. They won't even split them up for a game

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Sean Monahan will be playing his 83rd game of the season tonight. How often does that happen?

Good for him too, after so many injuries

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

grack posted:

Edmonton and Colorado are playing for home ice in the first round. Oilers need a regulation win, Avalanche just need a point

This is incorrect, Winnipeg already secured home ice in the first round against Colorado.

Vancouver vs Winnipeg tonight is for second place in the West and so would determine who would have home ice if they meet in the 3rd round.

E: maybe you meant home ice if Edmonton and Colorado meet in the 3rd round?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Cole Perfetti scored 19 goals this year and he's going to be a healthy scratch in the playoffs because Rick Bowness?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I do think Dallas is the team to beat. Jets and Canucks are frauds, Avalanche are thin with bad goalies. Oilers have bad goalies and they're the oilers. Vegas awakened Stone from his eternal slumber, but they're getting too old for this poo poo. Dubois is not actually a beast in the playoffs, he just was playing against the Leafs the one time he did good.

Nashville vs Dallas in the West finals I guess

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Koth posted:

I don't understand how the best defensive team in the league is considered a fraud.

I don't think the Jets are frauds. I think Bowness is a fraud and hope he retires after this season.

Pionk should not be playing 20 minutes a night. Appleton should not have played 60 minutes more at 5v5 than Ehlers. Connor and Scheifele should be split up much more often

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Both the Avalanche and the Jets will be missing a 19 goal scorer going into the first round. Drouin is hurt and won't be available for the Avalanche.

For the Jets, Cole Perfetti is in perfectly good health, but Bowness would rather play a 3 goal scorer who plays the right way than some 19 goal fancy boy

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It's very funny that both Stone and Hertl scored in the first game of the playoffs. And also Vegas benefited from the new worst rule (play was offside 15 seconds ago therefore no goal).

They are really embracing the villain role. It's just too bad that there is no hero team in the NHL to defeat them

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I just learned that Dallas is calling it the plAIoffs (as in A.I.), so they are definitely the villains in that series. Go Knights

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The gently caress? Who???

Their various social media channels are doing it

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

No. just the 20 skaters playing

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/what-is-the-total-cap-hit-of-vegas-game-1-lineup-vs-dallas/

Everyone essentially agrees that if a change is made for playoffs in regard to cap hit, that it would be the cap hit of the players skating that game, not anything to do with who's in the press box.

Of note, if the Leafs played Brodie and Nylander over Benoit and Robertson they'd be 2 million over this years cap.

I'm not really bothered by the cap stuff, but you can't really just calculate it differently now and say 'well actually it's Fine'. The people who are mad are mad because they wouldn't have been cap compliant if Stone and Hertl came back into the lineup two weeks ago.

But anyway Vegas are cheaters and deserve to lose, just not to the Dallas 'bow down to our robot overlords' Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

I thought Rick Bowness got pretty badly outcoached in Game 2, and Winnipeg was worried about all the wrong poo poo. I guess we'll see what adjustments they make for Game 3.

The Jets will play better in Colorado because Bowness won't be able to get the match ups he wants