Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Grats Ranger fans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yay for every Ranger except Aroldis Chapman :toot:

Who?

I have to pretend he doesn’t exist so I can feel better about the Cubs 2016 win

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Intruder posted:

Hard to pull that one off when he was the most instrumental part of it

As much for almost causing them to lose as he was helpful though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

You all need to up your game if you’re going to do cubsposting

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

triple sulk posted:

phoenix is a monument to man's arrogance

drat straight! :smug:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

lifelong diamondback fan here

They were the final home for one M. Grace!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i hope y'all don't hate me if i go to sleep. i really think this is just bad for my health and mental state

Oh for fucks sakes, lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

yes, but baseball is monumentally more stressful because of the pace of the game, IMO

personally, i have doomposted in every sports thread on these very forums

Peak NFL Doomposting was the Bears having a <6 point lead with at least 30 seconds left against the Packers, knowing that Rodgers was going to get the ball back. one. last. time.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

are the forums even searchable enough to do that easily

Yes, and it was a fully calm, friendly, civilized environment.

No cubsposting whatsoever.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

pre-world series anxiety cubsposting is a different animal

I remember being terrified going into Game 7 of the NLCS against Kershaw, then going down 3-1 to the Indians Guardians; after that, each game was just an excitement life extension until Game 7.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

There's still 1/3rd of the game left!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Sydin posted:

I thought for sure Kipnis had walked it off the following inning until they turned to show it was foul.

Same!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MrMidnight posted:

Condolences Phillie fans. I thought your team was gonna win it all

They don’t deserve it with their 1st inning doomerism!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

gartz snek fans, your team wasn't better

but they were the ones who actually felt like playing baseball, and that counts more

Lol get hosed Phillies!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

canyoneer posted:

The only time they are guaranteed to fill the stadium is in playoffs and Dodgers games

and Cubs games

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

simble posted:

FYI: Phoenix is landlocked

Based on all the above reasoning, it isn't! It sits on the (now-mostly/typically dry) Salt River, which is a tributary to the (also now mostly/typically dry) Gila River, that is itself a tributary to the Colorado River that still (barely) flows into the Gulf of California.

In the old'n days before Arizona when crazy daming up the various rivers, you could technically go from Phoenix to the Gulf of California if you really wanted to, via boat, though it wasn't really done. All of these flowed perennially, and at a decent rate all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

I don't think I'd consider this as the lower Colorado River, even before the ridiculous amount of damming and diversions, was historically difficult to navigate from season to season, let alone year to year. Even so, the size of a boat that you could get from the mouth of the Colorado all the way to Phoenix would be very small. You'd have been far more likely NOT to make it.

So, like... occasionally not landlocked?

Hey, I never said the size of the boat! :colbert: Though up until the late 19th century, they were using steamboats to go from the Gulf of California to Yuma, and then further up from Yuma via the Gila River.

The Gila enters the Colorado River basically at Yuma, and Yuma itself is only about 90 miles north "as the river flows" from the Gulf of California. It's pretty much at the end of the Lower Colorado River, where the river flow, while heavy and heavily variable pre-dams, was much less violent than you see further up the river, whether the "upper" Lower Colorado River or the Upper Colorado River itself.

Floating down the Salt->Gila->Colorado at this time would have been relatively easy, all things considered. But reversing this course would have been difficult if not using a shallow draft steamboat, etc., and ultimately wasn't really done a whole lot once the railroads showed up.