Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kingcobweb posted:

MIP campaign from Bol Bol before he got put back on the bench, then removed from the rotation entirely, then waived.

My favorite part of this was people posting clips of him going coast to coast with #all-star tags but those games he was like 3-9 and -17 with like 4 rebounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Hornets say anything about what they're doing with Bridges?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

An open letter to one (1) Chris Finch:

I cannot stress enough how much I need you to put the following lineup on the floor this season, with enough minutes to give it some form of statistical significance in grading it:

Anthony Edwards
Kyle Anderson/Jaden McDaniels
Naz Reid (Naz Reid)
Karl-Anthony Towns
Rudy Gobert

Thanks in advance
-IcePhoenix

You just monkey pawed a rash of injuries into existence.

Also I see what you're doing but any lineup of death really needs NAW.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh hey it looks like you're right. So yeah if Wemby keeps putting up highlights at the rate he did in the preseason I think he'll win it even with somewhat of a lighter schedule than Scoot

It'll depend on how much he plays. Originally I would have bet he played under 42 games but he looks more adept at the NBA game than one would have thought watching his FIBA games, so maybe he will play a solid majority of the season. If he plays like 30-40 games I think it'll be hard to give him ROTY unless he puts up absolutely stupid numbers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

30-40? He played every game for Mets 92 last year, didn't miss a single regular season or playoff game, averaging 32mpg. This is in a league where every team had a 280lb center trying to bully him all game.

Scoot by comparison missed a bunch of games for ignite with ankle injuries and a nose fracture.

I think the risk for Wemby is obviously a major knee or foot injury. But that's the kind of thing that would make the Spurs sit him all season. He's not going to sit half the games because he's getting knicked up, the Spurs want him to play so he can learn. He'll definitely play 60+ this season short of an ACL or foot fracture or something like that.

The paris team only played 34 games last year. He played more games in FIBA too but nothing even close to the NBA grind of 82 games in ~7 months. I'd also assume the Spurs will play things way safer than usual with him. NBA players who play 82 games almost always do so playing through a host of little aches and ailments, but the Spurs will almost certainly try to take things easy on him. Like I said, his pre-season performance has me doubting my earlier thoughts but I still think he'll be close to 40 games played than 70.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hifi posted:

the suns looked ok

I was just replying to this comment but I am giving my quick hit hot takes on the 4 teams that played.

Suns: Disjointed and out of Sync but I sorta expected that and I think they will get better as the season goes on. Overall I think it was promising and I think they are/will end up the 2nd best West team.

GSW: Small and Slow. No Draymond so maybe that will help but I think this team has problems. Klay looked pretty good but I also know he frequently doesn't so that might be a problem. Wiggins seems really important for some transition opportunities and defense but you can't really build a team that relies on Wiggins every night.

Denver: Look great. They own the West if they stay healthy.

Lakers: Looked pretty good, Denver is just a great team. They'll need to stay healthy because missing a lot of time from AD or Lebron will quickly make this a sub-500 team. Christian Wood looks like a great pickup.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

And all plays in the NBA are like that. Some out-of-timeout plays will be "Pass to person X who will pass to Y who will shoot" but most NBA plays are react-type things where there are tons of permutations and adlibbing based on what the defense does. And the Lakers did a decent job. The first Murray 3 was partially covered, so thats ok. The long 2 by KCP was open but only because he was run off the 3pt line and had no driving lane. That's a low value shot. And DLO's foul was a pretty good foul, he got beat but recovered and used his long arms to stop a shot.

What was noteable was that a relatively simple play like that can be turned into so many deadly weapons by this team and by how versatile Jokic was. No other NBA player has been able to be a threat like that so many ways out of a really simple action.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That was cool. I like stories of Jamal Crawford roasting guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I asked for Patrick Beverly kicking Benny The Bull in the crotch enjoy

It's full of stars

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Stagger_Lee posted:

is drew eubanks a basketball player

He sells property insurance in the rust belt.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Although that's current lead leader in blocks Drew Eubanks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Boo. Hiss. The schoolyard draft was amazing, why get rid of it?

I think guys getting frozen out was kind of a bad look. Jokic just picking himself so he didn't get picked last of the starters was pretty bad.

It's not like it helped the game at all. I guess I don't care but trying things for a while and going back seems fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lively out-playing Wemby is funny and I don't think anyone thinks he'll have a better career, but so far in pre-season and in game 1 Lively looks pretty good! Like right now he's probably more of an x factor off the bench as I am not sure I'd trust 30 minutes of defense every single game, but he's got energy and not afraid of doing things and doesn't seem bothered by NBA speed and athleticism which are all the most important things you reasonably can hope for out of a 19 year old center.

Be optimistic about him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Harden: "hey yo Adam I tried to play but they wouldn't let me on the plane therefore I'm owed all my money"

I mean, unironically yes.

This is an absolutely a healthy scratch of a "star" player (by NBA definition). 76ers should be fined or the new rule is toothless.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Nurkic whiplash over the last 48 hours ITT

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

surf rock posted:

I'm a glutton for dumb lists so I like this top 100 players article from The Ringer.

Where do you think the best player outside of the United States would rank? So, nobody in the NBA or American collegiate qualifies. Would the best non-domestic player crack the top 20? The top 50? The top 75?

Very frequently the best player in the 2nd best league (FIBA) has been players who were borderline rotation guys in the NBA. So since Wemby was drafted already the next best would probably be somewhere in the 200s or so.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I want 200m and I'd have trouble putting up that statline.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

We have Steven Adams at home?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1718461483418345633

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LaVine would be great on the mavericks and also the Mavericks should abandon defense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I definitely support the flopping time being used to fine guys who get roasted

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For the warriors, you typically only get to small or slow and the warriors are mostly both. They are good at everything else but I think that's going to be an Achilles heel.

For the Bucks yeah their backcourt is bad defensively but they'll round out better over time. (Don't give in to October haterisms)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He's probably right and also it might kill Chet's career. Wemby needs to stay in slim reaper mode.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

uggy posted:

Boozer is the 2025 draft class, Flagg is now 2024 draft class

Flagg seems like one of the best hs us prospects in a bit unfortunately

No he's not. 2024 is the next draft class. Flag is in HS right now and won't qualify for the 2024 draft. College bball already started so he's at Duke next year.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Coo...mobile&ie=UTF-8

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Where are the clippers getting that extra first?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Presti is ending up down picks on this!!! :monocle:

Probably a really good pick swap though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Harden is way better than he's given credit for. He was a 20/6/10 guy last season on 60% TS and he wasn't dominating the ball to do it. That's really really good. He wasn't as good in the playoffs but the whole team stunk (except Tobias, he was good). Harden was better than Maxey and (arguably but it's close) Embiid.

He's a total locker room cancer and can't stay on a team but on the court he's still really good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think this is a good enough package all things considering, so what did Daryl want?

Morey is only interested in trades that he definitely wins at the time of the trade. This was ok (that OKC pick is basically a 2nd rounder) but after Portland held it and got a very good total return you know Morey would have happily held on longer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Looking at the first 4 games for the wolves I woulda predicted 2-2 but each game the other way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OzFactor posted:

I know I'm being annoying here, and rule of cool and all, but I legitimately don't get why this isn't a foul?

It's a foul because he crashed into LaVine's back but that's very rarely called especially when it's a smaller guy doing the fouling.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Dude who stops mid double bird flip to clap to hype himself up before going back to double bird flip
The dude who yanks his hat off because he’s so angry
Old white dude who has had too much of this tomfoolery
Guy who electric slides into frame with double bird flips
Baked dude in the orange creeping in the back

Girl on the left who looks like an extra who never should have been in the frame

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

nikosoft posted:

I feel like my contrarian pick of Chet for ROY in Zogo's poll is not going to age well. Hmmm.

Chet is putting up better stats right now for sure, but I think it's going to be REAL hard to get out from under the Wemby narrative.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nick Young will always be in our hearts

https://twitter.com/lidolmix/status/1720077897023754452

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Plexiglass around the court and no out-of-bounds rules.

Passing to yourself is legal and resets your dribble

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Some stats that totally matter

https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1720460322366980119

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hifi posted:

The in season tournament takes place every friday? who cares about this...

Just group play. The actual tournament/elimination part happens later and happens all at once.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

General Dog posted:

If teams advance past group stage, do any wins/losses in the tournament itself count towards regular season standings?

Yes, teams that don't make the knockout (or get knocked out earlier) basically play flex games during the season to make it up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So....games today have been really good. Maybe it's an extra 10% but it's seemed like teams were playing things a bit more seriously than normal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

well the bulls more seriously sucked rear end

It's them shining in the ideal state

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls court did actual psychic damage to me, i felt like i was losing my mind

That's a normal reaction to watching the 2023 Bulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006