Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/WZyKBkW.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

dingo with a joint posted:

Did Thirteen get three seasons or four?

Series 11, 12, Flux, and the specials, you mean?

...Honestly I just lump the specials into the whichever Series they debuted after, so Eve/Legends/Power are all Fluxian stories

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Khanstant posted:

How is that show, with the caveat the viewer might prefer to never see disney marvel material ever again? Is it the kinda thing where it stands on its own or do you need to be all up ins marvelsphere to make sense of cross-events and cameos?

I thoroughly enjoyed S1, and the same's held true with S2, and I stopped watching/caring for Marvel movies after Endgame (with the last viewed movie being Far From Home)

Still plagued by Marvel Quip To Undercut Serious Moment, but it worked just fine for me regardless

I'd recommend it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if these posters are from Fifteen's perspective, and that's who Fourteen is reaching out for

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if with Disney money the Whoniverse could fully buy the rights to the Rani and start using her more

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

Someone with better graphics skills than I needs to edit a screenshot of the mark of the Rani to add two mouse ears to it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Abu, the Meddling Monkey

You may be on to something here...

Did the Doctor nick Abu's fez (or more likely the monkey took a liking to him over the Monk and gave it to him before leaving) and that's why he has a fondness for them?

Narsham posted:

I was thinking the actual mark, but I’ll accept this.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 8, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1720455797849940098

Star Beast airs 6:30PM Nov 25, 56 minutes

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 10, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

First two

Then three

Then four...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

But what do they get out of it?

People's gratitude, which doesn't line their pockets with money or add to their collection of stolen goods

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Explaining why there won't be Daleks in the upcoming series, perhaps?

This way they at least show up as a technicality

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

It's the one where the Doctor and Nardole quietly slip out of a room where a bunch of innocent people are about to be horribly killed, isn't it

Also happens in Smile after leaving a bunch of colonialists with the (new) native species of slightly murderous robots...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McGann posted:

All I really meant was a prestige level "serious and could run on HBO" style filming/show. Absolutely no limits on the actual premise, they just have to actually try to say something and do it with style.

I can fully get behind the Paul McGann with Jacobi showing up. The audios were fun, lets do it with higher quality VFX and get really loving weird with this time war stuff. Though as mentioned, a Skaro series could be fun - but I fear it would suffer from the same end as the BSG spin off Caprica (too far removed and not good enough to stand on its own).

Could do what Series 9 (and Andor) did, by having sets of 2-3 episodes telling a focused story, with some connecting tissue stringing the whole thing together (insomuch as one could could consider the Hybrid thing as connective tissue (see also, "Timeless Child" and "Flux")

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nah see they're called stormtroopers because they're the successors to the clone troopers, who came from Kamino

where it storms

All the time

Laugh, please

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2020 was ten years condensed into one, and having a year without Who on top of that makes it even worse

...What do you mean Jodie's run started five years ago :stare:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Daleks fly away, and Davros is just left standing there. Get him a hover chariot.

I'm thinking...a nice red sled, pulled by eight different varieties of Dalek...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

David's Birthday

RTD on Davros

"When the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ZxB_0z4X0

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I remember at the time they said it was the intention to reshoot that scene with the current Doctor, did they ever end up doing it with Capaldi or Whitaker?

You should get a dropdown menu when you play the episode if you want Smith, Gatwa, or a cardboard cutout of Tom Baker.

Just a slow rotation into view of the wax figure

With the TWAAAAAANG sting

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And Five, Six, and Seven from the Five-ish Doctors with their screen-printed outfits :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's a lot of easy outs

The Master lied (what better way to mess with the Doctor than to dump their trauma off on them?)
The Matrix is flawed (has it ever not been?)
Something something machinations by other party (CIA, Shadow Proclamation, Great Intelligence, Absorbaloff...)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The best use of the premise would be to use it as an excuse to be able to get any actor in for a single story where they get to be the Doctor, like Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne, or David Morrissey

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dunno if I'd count his total screentime equal to three movies, but that kind of energy against the Chumblies or the Meddling Monk, maybe have him team up with the Corsair for some hijinks...

Could be fun

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Ooh, what about the time lords just show up again and the Doctor says "so you survived!" and they say "yes"

Worked for Anthony Ainley.

"The Master turned us into newts."
"..."
"...We got better."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tears in my eyes and a dumb smile on my face

gently caress I've missed Doctor Who

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pocket change for bus fare, some lint, ...ooh, a stick of gum

That's enough for twenty episodes, right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

Favorite comment so far is "Of course the Doctor has a blue box and pronouns."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I am on my knees. How much lower do I need to sink before I'm in frame?"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching the Unleashed for the Star Beast and Tennant and Tate are joking that he could've done something original for Fourteen rather than play it as Ten again, like changing the accent, and now I kinda wish they'd gone with that, just to lean into that something about the whole thing is weird, like every other Doctor is Scottish for some reason

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if Tentwo's the result of Twelve borrowing from his future in Extremis

quote:

"The thing about the universe is, whatever you need, you can always borrow, as long as you pay it back. I just borrowed from my future. I get a few minutes of proper eyesight, but I lose something. Maybe all my future regenerations will be blind. Maybe I won't regenerate ever again."
Yes, yes, we know that last bit to be a big ol' lmao, but still...

I also wonder if Rose Noble's going to play another pivotal role against the Toymaker with her own crafts and plushies - the Toymaker makes all toys come alive, and suddenly Doctor and Co. have Daleks and Cybermen fighting for them

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I am positive they're not building that monster standing set and using it for three episodes. Ncuti will use the new Tardis interior for at least one season.

They did immediately set it on fire...

Burning that Disney money?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1728851112306819229

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...current Twitter trend is "rank the (revival) Doctor's opening stories now that we have a new one to add to the list"

Eleventh Hour/Deep Breath
Rose/Star Beast
Christmas Invasion/The Woman Who Fell To Earth

...Does Day of the Doctor count for War?

Could always throw the Classics in if you want as well

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So according to this Deadline article, current DW writers will basically no longer be receiving residuals from repeats of the DW episodes they wrote. Instead of receiving a smaller initial fee plus residuals for repeats, they will receive a larger fee up front (but won't get any residuals for repeats). This apparently was part of the deal the BBC and/or Bad Wolf made to get Disney+ as the international streaming partner.

Not quite sure how I feel about this, but my gut reaction is that it's not a good thing.

How would residuals even work with a streaming service?

Do you get money based on individual views of an episode? Minutes watched?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

I liked it quite a bit, but regarding the ending: "She had a kid so the power is spread out now" was a good solution, and the "binary/non-binary" thing was on the nose but sufficiently clever that I still liked it. But holy poo poo "oh you can just give the power up whenever, it's actually not a problem at all" was a cop-out. First off, why didn't Donna just do that right away then, and second, why do it at all? Donna and Rose sharing the bond and a bunch of technobabble knowledge was a cool dynamic and we got, like, five minutes of it. You could've just decided it was spread out enough to be non-fatal.

Would she have known she could back in the day?

Why did the Doctor kill himself with time vortex/radiation if he can just let it go of stored energy at any time? (Heck, doesn't he do the latter at the start of Series 3 by shaking it out of his foot or something?)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give me Silver Fox Eric Roberts Master

For...uh...no reason

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MikeJF posted:

It'll be Grand Admiral Thrawn, courtesy of the new Disney+ deal.

He can barely keep up with Anakin, Ahsoka, and Ezra's bullshit

And you want to pit him against the Doctor's nonsense?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Clipperton posted:

Just caught up with the Children in Need special with NuDavros, and while I'm not thrilled with the change, if that's what it takes to keep the Yoof engaged with the show then whatever. But - doesn't "disfigured guy in a wheelchair" also apply to the Daleks themselves? That's literally all they are, congenitally hosed-up little dudes with mobility aids. Are they all going to be normal looking and walking around too?

e: just a guy in shorts wandering around pointing his finger at passersby casually going 'Exterminate"

Could be worse