Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I was cooling off AEW already for a while but with news like this it it'd just be too depressing to even watch anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

I always thought the pillars thing was silly because they were always pegged as future stars. To me the pillars of AEW at the beginning were the elite, jericho and Mox.

Wasn't the whole point of the Four Pillars concept that it's about the future stars cause it's referencing the original Four Pillars of All Japan or some such?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Honestly AEW's gonna have a hard enough time keeping literally any of the existing women they have let alone finding new ones to sign.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Cavauro posted:

AEW did not make a serious play to retain Lexis King.

Why?

His mind was too SICK and TWISTED to keep around

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I'm on the "Just cut the loving losers who showed up and spend their entire contracts sitting at home bitching on Twitter because they think being in WWE means they should just get handed world titles for walking in the door and will never have to do a job to anyone ever again" team at this point cause they seem to be the source of every single drama in this cursed-rear end company.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

anything ment for america has to be dumbed down to a ridiculous degree

I can't remember if it was Osprey or someone else but they once said something like "Wrestling has to be presented to Americans at a third grade level" and every day the IWC proves it right

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

have to imagine vince and dunn both being gone has definitely made wwe look way more attractive to many that previously wouldn't have jumped

Eh I thought WWE was completely unwatchable with Vince and Dunn but I still have zero interest in watching the bland-rear end slow motion matches they put on between 25 minute commercial breaks.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Corzaa posted:

Vince did that too. How many guys came out and said “Vince loved me.” after they got their walking papers?

I feel like 90% of the wrestlers WWE's ever fired declared Vince loved them and it was definitely Jim Ross/HHH/Laurentius/Whoever that had it out for them

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

WWE Continues To Influence The World

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm sure that contract is as legit as the AEW invoice

They'll add what he was getting paid to the paychecks they're mailing to Dusty Rhodes' grave

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Tony doing mindgames to push Seth into having a classic 2.5 star banger and destroy his legs during Wrestlemania season

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Well they did just get rid of whoever it was that was in charge of live events so maybe things will get better

Then again I've been saying that for like 2 years now and every week it feels like everything with this company just gets worse and worse and I'm dreading having to just give up entirely on wrestling again.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Tato posted:

I'm in favor of wrestlers acknowledging the rankings but only if they go 110%. I need to see guys shoving print-outs of the rankings in other guys faces or whipping out PWI 500 rankings and complaining about stuff

To be fair Jon Gresham tried that and ended up out of a job

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Regularly defended on AEW TV:

AEW World Men's
World Women's
TNT
TBS
International
Continental
Tag
Trios
FTW
ROH World
NJPW STRONG Men's
NJPW STRONG Women's
ROH Tag
ROH Pure
ROH 6 Man
ROH Women's
IWGP US
AAA Mega
Impact/TNA World

The TNA title hasn't appeared in AEW in 3 years, the NJPW Strong Women's title appeared literally once ever, the Strong Men's title only appeared when Eddie was having continental classic matches and the AAA Mega title appeared like 3 times in the past year

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Also the WCW Women's Cruiserweight title was only defended on tv once (and even then it was relegated to a recap show) and was then sent off to Japan never to be seen again.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Peanut President posted:

didn't some promotion have a similar gimmick? I wanna say Lucha Underground

Lucha Underground had the Gift of the Gods championship which was a belt made of 7 medallions that could be won as prizes in certain matches and once all the medallions were handed out those 7 wrestlers would have a winner-take-all match for the actual championship. At that point it acts like a normal title that the champion has to defend and such, except they can also trade it in for a shot at the main Lucha Underground title.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Didn't Mark say he never wanted to be in a tag team again?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I know there's a lot of problems with rankings in pro wrestling but I think some of these podcasters go out of their way to not understand how they work. Like, they're mad because they don't understand by the Young Bucks aren't in the rankings despite the fact that the Bucks hadn't wrestled a single match in 2024 until literally yesterday. Why is that hard to understand?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Also I think they established the last time they used Rankings that sometimes they'll just have the #1 and #2 ranked guys fight for a title shot.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I mean I know it's Hell Thread but I'm pretty sure if you put the shittiest fighter in the history of UFC against a tiny nerd who looks like he's never lifted anything heavier than a laptop in his life, I'm pretty sure the UFC fighter would loving destroy him.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Billy Mitchell showing up to tease something with Miro that then never happened is up there with Shaq in the Lost AEW Plot Threads

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

They should do video packages on guys before they debut in a match because it gets them over and there’s no downside and it’s fairly easy to do (i edit video professionally). There’s never a reason to not try to get someone over as much as possible if they’re wrestling a top guy and have a history somewhere.

But they do that and people bitch about it and pretend they didn't do it anyway

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Isn't there the problem that like, venues are probably booked months in advance and you can't just call them up the week of and go "NVM we changed our mind" without paying massive fines?

Also there's basically a minimum venue size they can do given all the equipment/staff/etc needed for a live production that size?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Complaining about a wrestling show you don't like and don't watch is a time honored tradition going back as long as the internet has existed.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Something Something Heatless Dream Matches or whatever catchphrase the internet has latched on to this month

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Didn't WCW have a "no moves over the top rope" rule basically right up until the NWO happened?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Probably cause Julia has one of the two womens titles and the other one is tied up?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Sometimes I wish this company could have one good week so it wasn't embarrassing being a fan

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

that good week will come when they go out of business

Honestly if/when that happens I'll finally be free of wrestling forever and maybe that's for the best

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

It's just depressing at this point cause it feels like no matter what they do the ratings just get worse and worse and there's nowhere you can have any actual discussion about AEW cause it's just people screaming endlessly about how poo poo it is and how stupid you are for liking it and I dunno man maybe it should just loving die already so we can move on.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Sorry for freaking out last night I have had a real poo poo week and reading the internet on ratings day is always a terrible idea

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

My doomerism for this company has hit a point part of me kinda wants the ratings to just keep getting worse and worse in hopes it eventually forces them to actually try and make things better but I guess that's too much ask anymore.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

You hoping it dies because it makes you upset that it's not as good as you want it to be is unhealthy.

I don't hope it dies I've just hit a point where it doesn't feel like there's any way to turn it around and even if it doesn't go out of business it'll just sorta fade into obscurity like TNA where even if they do good stuff just, nobody notices or cares and WWE gets to continue having complete dominance over professional wrestling...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

On the one hand it would be very funny to see the footage of Punk going apeshit because he can't handle someone young enough to be his son showing him any sort of attitude that isn't blindly worshiping the ground he walks on.

On the other hand it's not helping to beat the WCW 2000 Allegations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Pylons posted:

What does this even mean, who is he supposed to book for

People that want wrestling to be 40 minutes of cutscenes and then the slowest boringest matches you've ever seen in your life

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I was watching Star Wars but turned it off in disgust when Darth Vader appeared and they just expected me to know who he was without 6 months of vignettes leading up to the debut

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Whelp the WCW 2000 label is permanently stuck in now, the only thing this accomplished is ensuring nobody will ever see this company as anything but a joke ever again so I guess I'll just hope they get in a few more good PPVs before it burns to ground cause at least they do that right

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gonna be great waking up to the ratings discourse tomorrow

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Tony's already proven that WWE gets under his skin extremely easy and they're gonna keep poking at it cause they know it'll make him do the dumbest poo poo possible every week til the companies dead and buried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I can't loving stand watching WWE shows which is why I'm annoyed at Tony Khan for being so easily gotten to that he's devoting TV time on "I'm not mad don't put in the paper I'm mad" segments instead of fixing his wrestling companies very glaring problems.