Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AEW stop signing wrestlers I like watching you freaking bums :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tony trying to be Dana White is really funny. My man cannot pull it off, even when it is "angry short boxercise coach who only has a gig because his mate was rich"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not a G1 head but i feel like they announce more than a quarter of the field ahead of time for that one, which puts them a leg up on tony and bryan

Can confirm, they tend to announce the field about a month in advance so you can get hype.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Purple Monkey posted:

Far too many matches end in flash pins and it's starting to become every bit as tiresome as WWE's DQ finishes

The Anarchy in the Arena matches are impossible to follow and most of the spots in them are becoming hideously overdone

They either need to tell people to stop going on lengthy excursions or just straight up release them. It's impossible to build any kind of feud or momentum when people keep buggering off for months at a time

Flash pins are great. I want more flash pins in the wrestling I watch. Genki Horiguchi often wins with a backslide. It keeps things from being predictable. Flash pins, wrestlers having a handful of finishing moves (like '90s All Japan where Kobashi will probably beat you with a lariat but sometimes if you're a touch bastard maybe he does the Orange Crush Bomb or exceptionally rarely the Burning Hammer), it all adds to the suspense of big matches

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Look on the bright side. Now you're all dropping the 18 hours a week of AEW you can make time to watch All Japan Pro Wrestling, the good wrestling company*

*caveat that you maybe either want something interesting to look at on your phone or else not watch live so you can fast forward through the opening few matches which are often instantly forgettable. Or maybe you're a big Yoshitatsu fan, IDK.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The G1's field (at least this year) is 32, though, the C1's is 12. Still, AEW's roster is deep enough that even the established midcarders are good, so I'll wait until after the reveal show tomorrow to complain.

This year's G1 was too much. 2 blocks of 10 is plenty

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

dodgeblan posted:

cody was great and he made his opponents great. Last time malakai mattered

LOL this thread has gone crazy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

also the codyverse was mostly bad but not as bad as the jerichoverse or whatever we're calling the mjf crap

Maybe the Tonyverse was always bad?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Making poo poo up

This was a joke OP.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It sucks but that's also due to New Japan being ice cold in the US and it'll probably get worse with Will going to AEW

At this point Shibata is an ROH wrestler. It's coming up on a year since his last match in Japan (the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye show at the end of the December 2022) & his last NJPW match in Japan was January 4th 2022. So I don't think you can blame no one caring about New Japan in the US for Shibata getting no reaction. But then Shibata is the antithesis of sports entertainment, extremely charismatic but in a way that's totally alien to modern US TV wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

blunt posted:

Honestly everything went to poo poo when they got rid of the STRONGHEARTS.

But we got GLEAT out of it so it's not all bad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

The first matches of the Continental Classic were pretty good but why the hell aren't they doing time-calls. You can get the crowd really into matches and thereby invested in the tournament if you start teasing the draws from the start. Crowd will be hella deflated if they just ring the bell at 20 minutes for the draw. And if they start doing time-calls all of a sudden I'll have to assume that match'll be going to a draw since they didn't do time-calls in these first three matches.

Because then you'd have to hear Justin Roberts every 5 minutes, & then multiple times in the last 5, & who really wants that?

(It's dumb that American promotions never do this. Even ROH in the days where Punk & Joe were going for an hour long draw. You'd think Tony would get it but apparently not)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sticky Nate posted:

Adam Cole has Jake Lee's body and drawing ability. He probably has the hat and coat, too.

At least Jake can work

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

On The Internet posted:

It would rule if AEW did fold because then I'd be free from watching any wrestling.

Just watch good wrestling instead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

*gestures in the direction of WW2 and various other wars throughout history, and the alt-right movement of today*

If Hitler hadn't been a child he'd never have done Anchluß

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MotU posted:

i just watch njpw/stardom/tjpw/ddt

Post in the puroresu thread my dude

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Both aew and the wwf suck, it’s sad but unfortunately true. They should make a new, good wrestling show.

Maybe now is the time for your to embrace Impact Wrestling?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

snoremac posted:

As an outsider who only ever watched AEW through YouTube clips, they have too many matches that are two indie guys I don't know with no storyline I can find in the clips. Oh finally Adam gently caress vs Yoshi Itsuki.

I only watch good wrestling so don't watch AEW but pretty sure the storyline is often "winning this match gets you closer to a championship match", why do you need more than that?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

AEW Hell --> All --> All Japan

It's right there in front of us, we should all become big Aoyagiheads.

:hai:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

i think my friend niennunb and i should give up on US wrestling and become AAAniacs and go down there to woop and holler for psycho clown

Psycho Clown was recently in NOAH & challenged for the GHC National Title. Puroresu truly has something for everyone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Someone give me an easy starting point for 2023 All Japan. Like, a match and a cool dude or two not a whole show

I'm lying bed about to nap so cannot be arsed finding my spreadsheet to link it but yeah, watch Yuma Aoyagi vs Kento, or the NOAH Kento vs Nakajima match.

There's too many cool dudes but Kento is the ace, who is probably my favourite wrestler in 2023, Yuma Aoyagi is the future ace who is so good, Katsuhiko Nakajima just arrived from NOAH & he is a violent kick boy with lovely hair.

There was a tag match on IIRC 22nd January with Kento & Takuya Nomura vs Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi which i loved, Nomura is out injured just now which sucks.

There's a whole crowd of cool young talent too, it's a fun time to get on-board. Just don't watch the undercards which are often lousy...or at least pick and choose.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

He hurt CM Punk's feelings so I'm Pro Hangman

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Why does AEW feel the need to continue booking the absurdly cooked Hardy Brothers? Especially when they have more signed wrestlers than TV time, seems a giant waste of time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

Britt would sink hard in WWE and she’d never touch the main roster. She can’t wrestle and has no defining characteristics besides being a dentist which only worked for her in AEW with it’s large british fanbase.

It's true, we love the dentists, because our dentalcare is heavily subsidised by the NHS, therefore we tend to get upsold unnecessary cosmetic dentistry much less.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

He should learn how to cut a promo first. Everyone in the C2 can do that, probably an important criteria for it since they have all those backstage promos in this.

Takeshita can't cut a promo? What is this, fed stan Twitter?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fawning deference posted:

They were really poorly handled. and there's no way to undo it, unfortunately.

They wasted their first match in AEW on a random Dynamite against Private Party instead of, you know, hyping up their return to the ring as a tag team and making people shell out for a PPV to see it against the Young Bucks. Once people saw them in the ring multiple times, there was a lost interest in their PPV match because everyone could see they were cooked, which is the second bad move:
they were completely over-exposed when it's clear both of them, especially Jeff, are way past their prime and restricted in what they can do in the ring. Not only were we seeing the Hardyz fighting against mid-carders regularly, but they also were doing violent gimmick matches, on free TV, regularly, which also didn't make sensse.

The way they have handled Sting, on the other hand, has been absolutely perfect. He's used sparingly, but when he is, it's very impactful and plays to his strengths (and protects his weaknesses as a 60 year-old in the ring). Every time Sting comes out there, the fans go nuts, still, and that's a testament to how well he's been booked in AEW. The Hardyz, on the other hand, were booked to immediately just be another mid-card tag team feuding with other mid-card tag teams doing gimmick matches and showing the entire world that they suck now.

PS. Also Jeff Hardy should not have been allowed back anyway

Unfortunately stupid stuntshow gimmick matches are all Jeff Hardy is capable of doing at this point.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I just don’t get why Toni needs the story beat. She’s over as hell. The crowd is into her matches. I also thought the match was fun. I dunno I think you guys just enjoy making GBS threads on something. Like I don’t get how the wind up is any different from most wrestling moves. Dusty Rhodes bionic elbow or the peoples elbow or whatever. Sometimes you just allow a fun silly gimmick to be over. Also how is she worst in the ring. Her timing is good she’s not botching she still hits hard.

What, in the AEW Hell Thread? Ya think?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Just because this is the be negative about AEW thread doesn’t mean there can’t be conversation.

Conversation about how AEW is very bad & you should take the time you would spend watching it to watch All Japan Pro Wrestling instead, yes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

I thought the same thing but apparently it's "top two scores fight each other after all the block matches", not "guy with the most points after all the block matches advances".

So we're probably just gonna get Swerve vs. Mox again in a couple weeks.

If you have to do a semi-final then Winner Block A vs Runner-Up Block B & vice versa. This isn't hard Tony you fool!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's not.

Last time the G1 had Semi-Finals was 2009, & you have to go back to 2004 for the last time that the 2 finalists were from the same block, Tanahashi & Tenzan. I don't recall people being mad the finals were obvious or whatever, partially because the best wrestling booking often is obvious. If your booking relies on surprises then it's Russo tier bullshit. A good story doesn't need a surprising ending, it needs a satisfying one even if that's telegraphed. And because you can do things with that. Build the match as a response to the first meeting, where guys know each other better & have counters to their go to spots & all that jazz. Obviously this won't please Fed pilled weirdos who think that if Vince didn't come up with it or buy it then it's not worth acknowledging but who cares about these deeply odd individuals who only exist on social media?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

NJPW did it so it has to be good is not a very convincing argument. It would suck to have the tournament finals be a block rematch. More than it sucks having the semis be block rematches. Also makes the block full of losers where none of them can even get into the final look bad.

No, the argument isn't NJPW did it so it's good, the argument that if your wrestling revolves solely on surprises then it's a lovely wrestling show because if results aren't frequently obvious then you're probably not applying logic to the booking, instead going for the Attitude Era constant swerves garbage. And then I pointed to an example of when it happened & it didn't end the world. It's fair to compare this to similar tournaments in the past. I could compare it to the 2014 Fire Festival or 2016 Ikkitousen Strong Climb if for some reason you are sensitive about New Japan.

The people in the losing block only look bad if it's booked poorly. Which granted, we're talking about AEW here so sure, but I'm talking more in the Platonic Ideal of the round robin tournament. People can look good in defeat in wrestling. And anything can be poo poo if it's booked poorly. Doesn't mean it has to be. Semi-Finals being A1 vs B2 & B1 vs A2 is neither better nor worse than A1 vs A2 & B1 vs B2. Well, I have a personal preference to it because I think facing someone you've already beaten to get into the final seems silly, but ultimately it's whatever. It's a devise to put good matches in your eyes & if A1 & A2 are both great then whatever. Or if it's that much of an issue then just why bother with a semi-final in the first place? All are entirely valid with their own pros & cons.

You're entirely entitled to the opinion that "it would suck" but I don't find it a very convincing argument myself. Coz y'know, it's not an argument, it's an opinion.

Unlike the fact that AEW is bad & you should spend the time watching All Japan instead :hfive:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

oh. lol

you can still do better than "cody" imo

If Cody was dedicated to his craft he'd just have legally changed his name to Cody Rhodes. But sadly he's a hack

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

Rush always does the same moves in the same order. And half of them are emotes.

Yeah, but it's cool when he does this because he has immense physical charisma.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He really shouldn't be eating pins unless it's to lose the World title or set up a World title defense but also they probably should of vacated them back when Cole got hurt instead of waiting this long

Maybe don't put the title on him then. Bold suggestion I know.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

And a lot of those trios are a tag with a third.

That's maths that is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Trios titles are cool, if you book them well. Open The Triangle Gate Titles rule. Even the mostly after-thought NEVER 6 Man Tag belts are a fun thing for guys cycled out of the main event scene to do with their friends.

Tony should really go back into his tape collection & watch classic Toryumon & DG if he insists on keeping them around, learn from CIMA & friends how to book them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

if what i’m reading about WBD is true…

congratulations jungle jackass and the dumb fucks. you killed aew

Jack Perry my new favourite wrestler

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

ROH watchers can and should be held accountable

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

I know almost nothing about Joshi

Apparently nor does Tony Khan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

I've been fast forwarding every time MJF is on screen for about a month now.
How did you last so long?