Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
QT Marshall quit? what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MJeff posted:

Shun Skywalker is a crazy person, please don't indulge his degraded mental state by loudly hooting and hollering for him.

I've heard this name and I have zero idea who this person is I just assumed she's Anakin's mom or maybe Rey.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

apophenium posted:

He's the coolest guy in Dragongate, no relation to Luke

It's a dude? my mind.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Hobbs and Wardlow both suck and the experiments should be ended.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Also, honestly Hangman too.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

gently caress you

:(

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

gently caress you

No, gently caress YOU. Hangman has done poo poo.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I like having a place to talk about AEW being garbage.

But that was the best episode of wrestling I've ever seen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MJeff posted:

Not that I wanted to see MJF and Joe do a Can They Coexist match against Jungle Boy and Wardlow desperately trying to hide their movesets or whatever, but it's kinda hosed up that they advertised it and then just didn't do it. One of the pillars of AEW's booking used to be, if a match is advertised, you're gonna get it and you're gonna get a finish.

Really annoying, cause it was a pretty good little Dynamite besides all of the MJFverse stuff, which between MJF, the Devil and Roddy, continues to just be an anchor around this promotion's neck.

I didn't really expect a Can They Coexist match because especially by the promo earlier in the night it was clear they could. I wanted an interesting match with intrigue, maybe the henchmen teasing by using moves or mannerisms from other wrestlers, and then progression on the story. The bait and switch was a bit of a bitch move.

Also, gotta question the WWE booking of what should be a giant match between Christian and Adam Copeland in Canada ending with interference from another wrestler's mom. I mean, come on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MJeff posted:

So you don't book the finals to be a block rematch.

That's impossible, tho.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Is everyone excite for face Beth Phoenix vs heel Nick Wayne's Mom

Once Christian makes out with Nick Wayne's mom next week? Yeah probably.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think the trios belts were a cool idea in early 2022 when Death Triangle and House of Black were putting on absolute bangers and you had like 8 different teams that could compete for them. But then most of those teams broke up and now they're just low card filler belts that don't even get onto the PPVs, so I guess it's just another thing that used to be cool that became shitified in 2023, like the world title.

Yeah there was that point like around when reDRagon showed up when the tag team scene was so insanely stacked it looked like there would be a wildly competitive tag and trios scene and it's just been loving decimated.

The trios belts have been dead from the start due to Punk and the tag titles have devolved to Big Bill having one.

Crazy fall.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Sticky Nate posted:

I hope the devil stuff is resolved quickly and never brought up again.

I like the devil stuff because it's the only actual story line in AEW.

Everything else is just the tournament and "I want your belt!/You can't have my belt!"

Toni Storm is doing funny stuff but there's no angle. Maybe there will be with Mariah May some day but now it's just "Riho wants belt".

Julia and Abadon are just "Hey we got two spooky girls on our roster!" but not really a story line.

There's intrigue over the tournament and if Eddie is going to kill himself or if Bryan's eyeball is going to fall out, but that's not really a story line.

Hangman and Swerve is over, I guess.

The devil stuff is the only thing they got going on!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MJeff posted:

If AEW loses Turner, somebody else will pay for them. As per usual, ignore everything out of CJ2's mouth.

In theory, sure. But who? There's not a ton of options if WWE has NBCU and WBD all tied up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The way they've told the devil story the only logical person it could be is MJF and that's also the crappiest and most boring option.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I think it'd be cool if two masked guys beat Joe and MJF for the tag titles and we don't know who they are for awhile. If it's not obvious.

But next week could be a bait and switch like the last time they advertised the match, so...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I've never understood why Sting doesn't do the face paint to his hairline instead of just doing the face paint to where his hairline was 20 years ago.

One time in AEW he did have black paint go all the way to his hairline and it looked so much better.

Thanks, love the thread, I'll take my answer off the air.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Eat My Fuc posted:

laughing out loud also

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I've had a theory about the devil that started with me joking around and coming up with the worst possible reveal for this angle, but I've slowly started coming around to the idea that my stupidest idea possible might actually be where they're going.

The devil is Tony Khan.

Let me show my work on this theory:

MJF debuted The Devil gimmick when he came back from his worked shoot contract tantrum with Tony. Now Tony has decided to commandeer the persona for his revenge.

Tony's goal is to get MJF to lose the championship before The Bidding War of 2024 so MJF can't hold the title hostage. Joe is his chosen corporate champion. Joe relinquished the ROH TV title to prove his loyalty to Tony Khan and because Khan promised him the biggest prize in return. Tony as the Devil has psychologically worn MJF down by attacking both his enemies and friends, thus isolating him. Now he's physically worn down and can be more easily destroyed by Joe.

This also explains why the Devil would help soften up MJF for Joe. Why would another wrestler do all this to MJF just to let Joe reap the rewards? Because it's not a wrestler. It's Tony Khan.

Remember that Dynamite where Tony dragged Cole and MJF into his office and screamed at them, but was all nice in front of the camera? That was the planting the seeds.

Also, Tony grew up on 90s wrestling. How long could he possibly resist doing his own heel turn and living out a Bischoff/Mr. McMahon/Higher Power angle.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Chris James 2 posted:

The Player's Tribune essay does kinda feel like what someone would do and say if their deal was actually basically done and this was their last show, but at the same time a) they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt and b) it may actually make it worse if they knew he was gone (with or without his injury status, with or without it being what he wanted/booked) and this/the Devil stuff was the best they could do, or wanted to do, to fill the time for his farewell

I'm assuming MJF secretly re-signed before he came back from his tantrum. If Tony really didn't get him to extend his contract before giving him this giant push and focus then he is a much bigger idiot than I thought.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

UnleashedDad posted:

The Devil thing being MJF's thing makes more and more sense cause the guy is just protecting himself. The Devil's crew feels non-threatening as a whole, I'm not even sure what they are scared or worried about. A lot of stuff is just off screen and you have to make assumptions. If you saw these people running roughshod through the company and MJF it might mean something but otherwise who care.

Aside from my dumb idea of it being Tony Khan no one else really makes sense. Why would they soften up MJF for Joe and not themselves? They've attacked MJF's enemies, friends, and sometimes just people tangentially related to MJF like Hangman. I think we're supposed to forget that this started with them beating up Jay White. but yeah, no one would really make sense. The person who made the most sense after Tony was MJF himself, but that's out now.

I doubt they knew who it was when they started the angle.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Shard posted:

Imagine if mox was the devil

I'd be happy if it's Britt leading a new main event level stable of surprising people.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Hirez posted:

Tony told me that the devil reveal is going to "Shock" the world, re-doing the full stumble and afterwards will never be heard from again

You even have Sting there to watch it unfold!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Im excited for whoever the devil is in the hopes that might make the angle stop at some point

I read a report that Tony has privately said they're only in the 3rd inning of the Devil storyline.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

JUNGLE BOY posted:

no one can cool off the hype for a PPV like the AEW roster can. it’s really astounding and should be studied

It has really been a sight to behold.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

dromal phrenia posted:

refuse to buy a ppv where everyone has booboo faces and booboo tweets and booboo articles. you're supposed to yell and rip your shirts and say cool poo poo you idiots!!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The pape is about to start and I hear Tony just got the roster's tests back for liver enzymes. I hope everything is okay!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Codependent Poster posted:

AEW just put on one of the worst battle royales in recent memory

who won?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Luchasaurus

Then there was a loud train horn for a while

Huh. Well Luchasaurus winning is a good way to not spoil the TNT match.

Sad to hear Braun Strowman is coming in, tho.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I choose to believe the reason the Keith Lee/Swerve match has been delayed over a year is because Keith Lee kept refusing to do the job. That would be very funny.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Kevin Dunn is out of WWE and I'm scared Tony Khan is gonna hire him.

I can't do anymore zoom shakes. i can't. I WON'T

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

What would TK even hire Kevin Dunn for? They're losing TV next week or whatever, remember

Honor Club + Elite Club for one low price of 19.99 a month on your computer!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

lol. Cole as the devil doesn't make sense, but really at this point no one would have made sense.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Crapple! posted:

I'm going to ask this here. What did the "devil"/Adam Cole accomplish exactly?

Softened up MJF for Joe, a man unrelated to their devil faction.

And helped their leader Adam Cole lose a championship.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

JUNGLE BOY posted:

whats the worst?

im here to watch the scrum and maybe see jericho get fired live

I couldn't see the ppv, but I'm ALL IN for the scrum. I hope Tony is on the good stuff tonight.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What was he even implying? This stuff confuses me.

Sounds to me he's doing the "Tony isn't treating me like the best very special boy that he should because I was a midcarder in WWE" act that Andrade, Miro, and Malakai are always pulling. See it's not being constantly injured that is keeping him off tv, it's that darned Tony Khan. But also, he had to be pulled from the ppv because he's injured.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There seems to be a consistent issue where people are being worked by the Hell Thread. Don't get worked by the Hell Thread.

And, y'know, don't generalize in general...

Thank you for stepping in and calming everything down.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1741962268433084823

Can't wait to see Master Negotiator Paul whiff on Okada too.

Mone coming in, Rosa back, Hayter coming soon, Jesus, maybe this division will finally be watchable.

Oh great, I was hoping we'd have another malcontent who wants to go back to WWE one day.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SIOG was a fantastic tag team which featured the amazing Swerve and a fat tree Swerve jumped off of sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Haven't checked to see what's booked tonight but I hope it involves Swerve, Julia Hart, Jay White, Eddie Kingston, and bring back the Young Bucks and Jack Perry.

Less of the things that aren't those people.