Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tedsville posted:

Had to spend a full 10 minutes defrosting the car this morning.

I'd like to introduce you to the wonders of a block heater.... combined with a cabin heater, such luxury!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We also have a plastic tree, made from recycled materials. I go into the woods with a small axe and cut off some branches, keep them in vases for the smell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's not good for cars to be started cold, also bad for fuel economy and the environment to leave them running while cold.

A block heater is an electric heater, perhaps with a pump, that heats the engines coolant. I'm always surprised at how rare they seem to be outside Norway-Sweden-Finland where it's standard equipment unless the car has it's own webasto.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but the same is true but worse for most other forms too.

There might not be one big scary incident to point to, but the long term deaths and destruction from going drill baby drill in the north sea will be a few chernobyls at least.

It's going to be soo many chernobyls.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BalloonFish posted:

E: The article seems to mostly focus on his vintage car, and more power to him for that. As someone who owns one car that's 63 years old and one that's 35 years old I absolutely get the fun in having an old car. But I don't dress like Anthony Eden or fill my house with 1988-era merch as a result.

Never too late to start fellow old car owner (33 year old car).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's odd that people'll get all squeamish about eating crickets or whatever but show them e.g. a southern Italian seafood dish with absolutely enormous shrimp that are all legs and wriggly antennae and they'll be delighted.

Nah I get really grossed out by shrimp

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Runcible Cat posted:

I prefer -ize anyway; z should get more use.

Re moths; I've had them in a bag of flour and they make it taste vile. We may be doomed to a bug-eating future but I'll avoid those thanks.

There's a particular kind of moth that was hell to get rid of. We had to seal away all food items like flour, crisp bread and such or they would lay eggs in there. Took a year of consistent killing to get rid of them. They got into the house via some birdseed. So we don't bring that in anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

sebzilla posted:

Crisp chat, motherfuckers (courtesy of my friend Andy)

I've never had these (don't think they are sold in Finland) but if we take flamin hot cheetos as a benchmark, how do these rank in comparison?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Convex posted:

starmer's labour are tories though

it's like the different types of cultist in BLOOD: they're all out to get you, just with slightly different approaches

Keir Starmer is the 16th incarnation of Tchernobog? Makes sense.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rise of the Triad I believe, one of my favorite games. might have the original box left.

Also Terra Nova. That game ruled.

e: yes I do have the box

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tigey posted:

I had all of these and wish I'd kept the boxes. Ah well.

They actually released a remastered version of Rise of the Triad a few months ago, with a bunch of improvements including cut content (like enemies cut from the release version).

What really sucks is that its just the boxes. Not the manuals or the CDs (or diskettes in some cases) :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Warcraft II manual was cool as hell, had lots of interesting stories about characters and the world in it. I liked reading it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sanford posted:

I had 8 bottles of olive oil left over from the Brexit stash, all gone now and we’re back on the sunflower. Should have hodl’d it, I’d be a millionaire by now. I’ve become one of those people who angrily mutters “well I’m not paying that” and deliberately puts stuff back on the shelf wrong to prove a point of some kind.

Been on this path a long while...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Best chili nuts around my parts are these:

I like them because they aren't sweet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ALL COPS GO HOME

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gotta say I really dislike battery powered stuff and except for a drill and impact driver all I got are corded or pneumatic tools and I prefer to deal with a cord than batteries. Makes me feel weird.

In the house we got a central vac, which I really like, no bags and no filters (the air is blown outside).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Belated happy new years, back at work after the christmas weekend and shitposting on SA. Have -28C here today and it's gonna drop to -33 they say.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

Insane that the crew never mutinies at her repeated attempts to get them all killed or sabotage their journey home.

And yeah BSG is clearly Ronald D Moore going "now this is how you show a loose alliance of misfits on a Star Trek"

I've internalized Sfdebris portrayal of Janeway as canon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

fuctifino posted:

We can all agree that Rebel Moon is totally poo poo, right?

I cannot agree for I have never seen it and I never will.

e: Well I guess that's a bit like claiming I will never be in a traffic accident.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Marmaduke! posted:

Watching teevee is so passé, I much prefer watching people watch TV. A hyper emotional pair that have been watching red dwarf have now started with BSG, good viewing. Sometimes I even try and watch the shows myself

Edit this is not Gogglebox, this is a much classier youtube

Sorta the same, I watch the RLM guys talk about movies and shows I will never watch.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Threshold review
https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v832.php

e: Ohh I this is ooold, some aughts era internet slurs.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 3, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What, the Idirans?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't think I take that great care of my teeth (floss, lol) but I never have tooth issues (except a tendency for calculus). Just got a checkup and after some cleaning it was fine. I do have the one habit that I tend to brush my teeth for like 10-20 minutes in the mornings, well I don't actively brush my teeth for that long. But mostly I just get to brushing then due to ADHD or something I walk around the house doing other stuff with the toothbrush in my mouth. Just getting ready for work, packing my lunch, might even sit down and read SA, so every morning my teeth get a good long soak in fluoride.

Maybe it helps, my dentist claims it does.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yes it absolutely has to

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The 200,000 pound teenager

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

Certainly something to ponder…

Just wait till the other one drops

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

kecske posted:

hell yeah just dump more poo poo onto teachers, I'm sure they'll love the transition into care staff

This reminds that when I was in school they'd have people come to class and teach us how to brush our teeth, think it happened multiples times somewhere around grades 1-4. I remember we all got our own toothbrushes and a lady would stand with a pair of huge dentures and a huge brush and show us how to go about brush our teeth, even how to hold the brush.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, there were quite a few suicides and otherwise deaths of despair caused by this scandal. Heads really should roll for this but even that won't bring back the dead.

This is like the plot of Brazil

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Opposite experience re: older cars for me. Older car is way cheaper to own. Insurance is way cheaper, most old cars I've driven have tended to be reliable and can be taken to the local shop instead of expensive brand maintenance. Tax is more or less the same unless getting an electric car. Not having to make loan payments for a car is great too, and no real value deprecation to take into consideration.

Granted I am more comfortable than most in working on my car(s) and I have worked a long time to get more handy and get the space and equipment to do more and more myself all the time. Been a decades long bootstrapping process honestly.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My favorite car is the oldest one.

Note the berry harvesters on spoiler, from last years berry harvest (bilberries), this was taken somewhere deep on a forest road meant for tractors

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

His father was truly a toolmaker.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Move back to the old British System for that imo.

Ship them to australia?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

fuctifino posted:

Three days.

Three loving days ago he dropped it as official Labour policy

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1747317846105899336

When you think about it, he really announced his intention to drop it when he announced the policy in the first place. There's no policy made by man that keir can not, will not, drop.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I hear you're an idiot now father!
Should we all be idiots now? What's the Church's position? I'm so busy down on the farm I won't have much time for the ol' idiocy.

(sorry it was bad)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Over here in foreignland they basically refer to everyone on the british isles as english.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Microplastics posted:

Not me. I'm angry about that post

Guess one could say you're... salty???

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've used one of these for my whole adult life:

Simply because they do big stuff and fine stuff, and are handy for transferring whatever you've chopped.

I got one of these 14" butchers knives, it's like a machete. But it's real nice when cutting slabs of meat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

When I was a kid my dad who was a metalworker by trade, welded me a sword. Looked like a huge gladius and heavy as hell. Just mild steel though, still in a barn somewhere at my parents. Not very sharp but a dangerous blunt instrument, man the 80s.

My mom told me recently she had a dream where she used it to decapitate 30+ russians invading.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I have over a hundred donald duck pocket books at my parents place, including the first pocketbook released in 1968.

Must be worth something by now. I also have two B5 trilogies, including the psi-cop trilogy which is apparently worth money nowadays.

I've tried to get my kids interested in reading but all they want is watch obnoxious people on youtube who scream and act like the worst idiot scum of humankind. Makes me wish for an EMP sometimes.

At my place it seems I mostly got technical books and a set of natural encyclopedias and some fantasy/scifi novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

frytechnician posted:

Good god, did I ever love Marlboro reds in my 20s. Absolutely brutal cigarette and the thought of having them now makes my stomach turn but for that window of time where I gunned it, they were just the best with a pint. Hindsight makes this all look mental now.

Replace Marlboros with Nortti for me. I quit cold turkey in 2008 and still think about them now and then.

Why do you have to be so bad for me?