Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

killerwhat posted:

Well, warm water or screen wash, one or the other is fine. As long as I'm not standing in the cold scraping anything. I'm cautious when it's below 0 remembering an incident - probably 30 years ago now :wth: - where my mum, rushing to take me to school, poured water over the windscreen that froze into a sheet by the time we got round the corner.

Better that than thermal shock shattering the window, don't know if windows nowadays can survive thermal shock but not intending to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The two avatars are like a before and after. :rubby:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dried coriander: :kiss:

Fresh coriander: :barf:

Genetics is weird. :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Leave 'im Gary, it's not worth it!"

Thanks man, that got a genuine laugh out of me. :rubby:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I recommend "Knives Out" for some inheritance related drama. :ese:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Watch both The Wire & Breaking Bad once a year, The Wire wins every drat time.

I watched Boardwalk Empire once but even with some good acting it just didn't click at all.

My Xmas viewing this year will be Rome, seasons 1&2, RIP Ray Stevenson. :pressf:

---------

Was going through my spending for this year; heading for £6k spent overall (no mortgage on my house thank god).

My only income is Premium Bonds, for the next 14 years. :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Going to need more guillotines, one at a time is too slow. :argh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

NORMAL VIEWS

[edit] What a snipe!

25 is the average percentage DNA overlap of an individual with their half-sibling, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, identical twin cousin (offspring of identical twins), or double cousin.

Keep it in the family to get your 100% DNA bonus! :c00lbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

He's the husband of a typical middle-England complainer who probably writes to the Daily Mail

Just think of Hyacinth Bucket (that's pronounced Bouquet btw) talking to her poor husband.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A dog walked into a tavern and said, 'I can't see a thing. I'll open this one'. (c. 4500–1900 BC) Sumer

At least the dog wasn't selling substandard copper. :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complaint_tablet_to_Ea-n%C4%81%E1%B9%A3ir

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's not funny enough either, I reckon best case scenario it's a wordplay or pun thing that doesn't translate, and worst case scenario, the Sumerian equivalent of Ricky Gervais is the one who became immortal, which has dark implications for our own time.

Historians think the Sumerian joke was about brothels as they were usually in pubs.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

did a Toyota kill your parents or something

As i am slightly tipsy atm and saw a Toyota pickup run over two girls when i was a teenager; get stuffed... i'm off to bed now. :razzy:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

In NI news the Secretary of State came over today and waved a big cheque for 2 biiiiiilllion pounds under Sir Jeffrey’s nose like someone with a bone trying to teach a dog to sit. Jeffrey didn’t sit and instead shat all over the carpet

Is Jeffrey getting near the stage that if he compromises in any way the DUP looses their support base?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My RSA in typing (on a Remington manual) actually turned out to be useful, which was nice. :)

edit: page 47 :widowsnypa:

Agent 47 is the protagonist of the Hitman series of games.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 15, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

New flag just dropped

More bloody flegs. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scorchio!!! :sun:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

blunt posted:

It's because the way people truncate the quote has inverted it's meaning.

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" - The bonds you choose are more important than the bonds you're born with.

"Covenant" gives me loony christian vibes, nope.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Somali Pirates: "Looks like freighters are back on the menu boys!" :pirate:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

I had 8 bottles of olive oil left over from the Brexit stash, all gone now and we’re back on the sunflower. Should have hodl’d it, I’d be a millionaire by now. I’ve become one of those people who angrily mutters “well I’m not paying that” and deliberately puts stuff back on the shelf wrong to prove a point of some kind.

My Brexit pile has also diminished; down to my last three bottles of olive oil, still have 3-4 years worth of Gaviscon tablets (£13.50 for 24 now, definitely saved a huge amount on that one) and am slowly working my through the last of my lentil/dried beans.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jakabite posted:

My partner’s a vegan and though I know it’s the morally correct choice, I hate the guilt I feel every time I make myself a fantastically elaborate meat dish. They don’t have a go to be fair, and I do cook really nice vegan stuff sometimes too. It’s just not as fun.

I assume you've given seitan a go (don't use it if you have problems with gluten), i found it easy to make and cook if a bit time consuming.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Aren't seitans those things that Scientologists measure to get your money?

They measure Santas... an archaic measuring unit but those crazy yanks are always living in the past. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lady Demelza posted:

Richard Osman

Had to google who he was, guess i'm well out of the loop. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyone else just not really feeling it with Christmas this year? I've never been one of those "OMG the magic of Christmas!" people but this year just feels off.

it won't really be Christmas till Covid delivers its next variant. :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobstar posted:

I got a "Tineco" brand knock-off stick hoover and it's been doing us very well. Then we did some heavy DIY and supplemented it with a Henry - it's weird though, it's made in Britain and I'm a "leftard" and I still didn't burst into flames/out crying/through the wall... baffling.

Seconding the Henry for getting the job done and never stopping. :thumbsup:

Bought a Dyson DC05 back in 2002, but even with keeping the filter clean it slowly failed at its task.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Used to use a Nilfisk in a previous job, a no nonsense sucker. :lolplant:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I'm away to my sisters for few days so have a good Hogswatch everyone. :wave:

:covidtree:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Just went shop and glanced at the front pages.

Anyway, thanks to Ms Adequate I can't read words properly now

When my nephews mentioned Storm Gerrit i said: "it should be called Storm Geralt"... had them in stitches, first time i've made them laugh with a game reference, so proud. :grin:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How old are they that they're old enough to get the reference but young enough to laugh at that dogshit"joke"?

In their thirties and as the family "Weird Uncle Of Solitude" i claim my right to make esoteric gaming/scifi references in all matters. :c00lbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hmm maybe NJAN99 was on to something.

They hadn't seen me since before covid so who the gently caress knows.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

I just don't watch TV anymore. That way I don't have to pay a license fee to see some gurning MP trying to rehabilitate themselves in front of the nation.

Though again TV licensing tried to convince me I need a license to watch YouTube and Amazon prime. loving liars.

Had them visit twice, asked what they wanted through the open window and just closed it as soon as they mentioned TV... don't engage.

If a TV service streams live and you watch it, you need a licence.

You don't need one for Twitch or YT unless the streamer is viewing Live Broadcast content on their stream.

poo poo is vague: live streams that don’t come from a body that resembles a “television programme service” don't need a TV licence for them. :suicide:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

there are a lot of videos of this on youtube because the sovereign citizens really don't want to pay TV licence :/

No idea about sovereign citizens but i don't watch any tv channels or any live or recorded content by them, i'm a happy gamer and they can just bugger off. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Sorry if I started a TV license derail, I was just asking because Finland finally got rid of it and the inspector nonsense some years a decade ago :corsair: and it's just a regular tax now.

Nowt like a good session of complaining to round the year off. :thumbsup:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Wetherspoons is the engine of British industry and you all know it

Like British Leyland?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I now have my first cold since before Covid, knew it was a high chance when visiting relatives over xmas. :shrug:

:comfyoot: today :comfyoot:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Oh yeah got it back. And he skimmed the card while talking to my friend in the shop, had one behind the counter of Forbidden Planet.
It was a good 20 years ago.

Glad i never bought their B5 figures when i was last there (decades ago), a poor selection and overpriced. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nice that they are improving the railway towards Northern Ireland (never been on that section myself).

edit: 31 minutes early but happy new year everybody. :toot: :toot: :toot:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 1, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Enterprise was quite interesting but then; gently caress Riker. :ughh:

I'll stick with B5, Farscape (rewatching it atm), NuBSG and The Expanse for the time being.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Babylon 5 and they were indeed extremely poo poo. I'm told it gets better though.

Series one is quite iffy, that i won't deny but for its day it was a good groundbreaker.

----------

Only seen Foundation on YT, i think it's impressive but i worry if they will be able to carry the series through to the finish.

----------

The Expanse is great, it helps that it is based on a series of books and it also has an ending.

---------

Firefly escapist fun, series + movie was good enough for me, from what i heard series two would have been dark & shite so bullet dodged. :shrug:

---------

fuctifino posted:

I've just had a scan, and I can see at least two unsecured wireless hotspots near me. So my guess is people switch on guest wifi, which is often unsecured, or turn off the passwords due to convenience. So people are still this dumb in TYOL 2024

No wifi in my house (never plugged that bit in), only ethernet cable. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I saw an episode of that once, and it involved a monster on a secret level that turned out to be a bloke with ridiculously long fingernails silhouetted against a light. My extremely embarrassed friend muttered something about that being the worst episode, but I've avoided it since anyway.

Your friend was right. :kiddo:

edit: A clip to balance things out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8vdHx2wHAY

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Babylon 5 is like a weirder alternate version of DS9 that was made on an atari. Its about as good imo, less baseball episodes at least.

DS9 is what you get when Paramount nicks the B5 project and places it in the ST universe. :argh: