Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

At the garden centre I used to work at we had a lot of rich idiots as customers. One who lived abroad and had a second home in the area once phoned us and asked if we could put together a rural styled Christmas centrepiece, and have it delivered urgently. After spending a while trying to work out what they actually wanted and that it wasn't something we sold, we went and grabbed some sticks from the hedgerow at the back of the property, put some little shiny bits and baubles in it, and charged them £40 with an additional £40 delivery charge. They sent us a message after saying they were delighted and they would tell all their friends about us.

Can't quite believe the economic system we live in sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I frequently wish for bad drivers in posh cars who cut me up to be involved in a crash that kills them and only them. That's called road rage, I don't mean it and you shouldn't listen to me when I say it.

The real solution is guillotine for all posh car drivers an impartial justice system that focuses on harm reduction and rehabilitation while providing emotional support for the victim
Proportional fines would be pretty good too

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just checked and my frenulum doesn't look anywhere near as happy as that

You need to treat it better then!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Since this is basically the Train Thread with some slight derails, how you can drive a train wrong and damage the cables? I'm curious because it sounds like a very narrow line between "cables being stretched out of place" and "oops train fell on the ground".

Scab driver leaves the station with the pantograph elevated incorrectly, notices during travel, tries to put it into the correct position while the train is in motion, pantograph goes "what the gently caress" and breaks.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

While you're here, MI5, who do you think would win in a fight between James Bond and Duško Popov?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

You can signal your answer in morse code at my bedroom window early tomorrow morning, ta

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

chestnut santabag posted:

He doesn't need to call a vote for an election, he just needs to tell Charlie to prorogue parliament.

Ideally by bursting in and attempting to arrest 6 MPs then getting owned by the speaker

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

do you think yvette cooper reads this thread

do you think yvette cooper posts among us?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

josh04 posted:

Love Gojira, 'ate nuclear power, simple as.

Don't like it, ごめんなさい

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Ding ding merrily on high

forkboy84 posted:

the offset star is honking

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Whenever I feel like I'm getting on really well with someone I've met recently, I invite them to perform the ritual and enter the covenant

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

happyhippy posted:

No 'holding pint of beer' option.
Sad.

Well, that's implied, surely

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Both of them are still coming for a pint though yeah?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

My dad and I had a big argument about trans rights and now he's watching the Abigail Thorn video I sent him. I'm trying to counteract the poo poo he gets fed daily by his Facebook and Youtube algorithms. He backed down about an argument over the Tavistock Clinic when I showed him he'd been lied to about why it closed down.

He told me he liked Douglas Murray because he was good at putting forward an argument. I told him it didn't matter, if the premises are wrong then the argument is invalid, and Douglas Murray's premises are wrong. He disagreed, apparently it doesn't matter if the premises are wrong :ughh:

With a lot of things over the many years I've argued with my dad, I think he is (and a lot of others like him are) a good person submerged under a torrent of right wing poo poo from social media, and a life spent voting Tory because he decided that's what would make him the most money, to provide for us. If you internalise the first thing you hear about a topic (usually a lie) and get frustrated when you get into an argument about it, it is inevitably very difficult to come to the truth when you're dug into that position.

I did have to tell him to stop sending me links about the IDF killing people in Gaza, he is completely on the side of the Palestinians and we don't argue about it much but the constant barrage of "look what new poo poo thing happened!" was getting me down!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You've all got it wrong. She left the chocolates in the street so the peasantry can fight over them.

A Tory...giving something to the poor? Are you sure about that?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

The tories don't give a solitary gently caress about immigrants, they just want to show humber going down so they can temporarily appease their voters.

The rest of east Yorkshire too, I reckon.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Evolution doesn't have a logic, it doesn't decide things. Its answer to tooth pain is ":shrug: better luck next generation"

My answer to tooth pain is guillotine the rich and nationalise the dentists

kecske posted:

because it's a kluge (a word I learned today), mammals having permanent teeth is a side effect of the evolutionary path from placoderms

Ihr sieht nicht kluge aus, did you mean kludge?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Both spellings are acceptable apparently, since it derives from the German word, although adddmittedly the extra D (heh) helps with English pronunciation expectations

Then I would like to apologise to kecske, er sieht wirklich kluge aus

Over the last 24 hours all three UK threads have talked about the darts, truly we are united as a nation

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Long ago we replaced clipping candles to the branches with electric tree lights, to reduce the considerable fire risk. I think this is nanny state oppression. Furthermore baubles should be explosive

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I am the fox, and I'll tell you true
Getting plastered on a horse is bad to do
When you fall, and get a brain injury
The hound will slip his rope and we will brothers be

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

And don't get me started on Georgia, or Iberia

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe the people whose job involves spending a lot of time reading tabloid newspapers and talking with other people who also read tabloid newspapers* will end up with opinions not broadly representative of the general populace.

*in my uninformed conception of a taxi driver's working day anyway

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

One thing I'll never understand is footage I keep seeing on social media of normal members of the public fully going out of their way to apprehend people they've caught shoplifting, informing the staff and calling the police etc. Sometimes even risking their own health by fully tackling people. Just your average people, but completely unaffiliated and maybe out for milk. There's always people cheering them on the comments as well. If I see someone stealing I just laugh to myself and think good on them.

Like, thanks lads, Mr Tescos appreciates your hard unpaid work protecting his shareholder profits, nice one. Have a pat on the heat. Mind boggling.

I remember when I was 18 and in my first year of uni, my then girlfriend shocked me by saying she didn't have any problem with shoplifting. I was properly unseated by this, couldn't get my head round someone thinking like that. Even at that stage in my life, with that worldview, I wouldn't have confronted a shoplifter.

When you have people with a idea about morality (stealing is wrong), a lack of political consciousness (Tesco looks after my best interests), and an impulse towards outrage (and maybe wanting to be seen as a hero), I can absolutely see how they would apprehend a shoplifter, no matter how wrongheaded it is.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

the rozzers are barreling after the trolley bandit

This sounds like a sentence from a tabloid from an alternate universe where tabloids have good politics

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Blackpool is a place where a lot of punks (mostly old) congregate occasionally to get drunk and fight each other. Key locations include the Winter Gardens (where all the punk happens), the railway station, and a small club near the railway station where you can go when your train is cancelled.

I don't think there's anything else there. Maybe a tram? idk

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

UKMT Winterval: Don’t Go After the Tool

UKMT Winterval: Don’t Go After the Tool, Go After The Son Of A Toolmaker

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

10 grand!?

Not that I'd expected them to accomplish much with their plans, but you'd sell out for 10 loving grand?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Oh my god, no, not smart devices and the internet of things! We must stop this communist UN initiative, our electronics would never spy on us under capitalism

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

Although if Edward loses his battle to smoking too much and George falls off a horse, we may be left with another king Edward, the 40 year old Nazi.

Maybe that would be enough for this country to wake up to how ridiculous having a monarchy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, what's the difference between Sharia law and the desires of most Conservatives for how the country should be run?

Something to do with melanin I believe.