Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

game is indeed good, like the thread shall be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i thought i was getting close to done with underdark

and then i got on the boat

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Has anyone been crashing to desktop since the latest update? I've had to re-validate 3 times now in the past 48 hours and it's getting old.

no issues, the patch actually stopped my quickload crashes

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

all this shadowheart talk reminds me of the funniest accidental event i’ve triggered so far. in grymforge, my SH accidentally triggered initial dialogue with the npc who has the runepowder vial. instead of my tav doing the talking.

anyway there’s a special dialogue option for cleric of shar replying to that npc and lol welp naturally i tried it.

SH tells the gnome to just do it. the resulting explosion nearly wiped my party.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My first Honor Mode run was RIP'd at the Zhentarim Hideout. Protip, do not get in a fight with the boss lady while you're standing below on the ground covered in oil barrels. Never even got a chance to react.

why would you fight them at all? in my non-honor run (only run, currently near end of a1) they were friendly enough that I just talked with them and then I stealthed around to steal stuff

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in honor mode if you send 3 party members to a tough fight and they die (keeping 4th away from fight):

- is there any common situation where you can totally lose the dead party member and not be able to res them?

- can you just use withers at camp without having to go to where the party member died to get their soul or stuff?

- do enemies heal before you go back to re-fight them?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I have... done it... :negative:

Once I got past the Githyanki Creche and a rather sloppy Ketheric fight, the rest was pretty easy. My team was a 6/6 Sorcadin Tav, pure Fighter Lae'zel, Tavern Brawler Karlach, and Bardstarion. Twin Haste with Aura of Protection sounds like it would be OP, and when it worked it worked, but mostly I just found it to be more trouble than it was worth. If any little thing breaks concentration or you're just dumb enough to do it yourself, that's half your party missing their turn. My smiteadin definitely felt like the weakest link, especially toward the end where several crucial fights have Radiant Retort.

Despite some unwelcome outcomes like Shadowheart just straight up dying, I think Honor Mode is the definitive way to play once you've been through the game at least once. Just having to roll with the Luck of the Dice™ injects a little chaos and uncertainty into how your story is going to play out. I got the special Githyanki Lae'zel Romance ending, and it's cool how the epilogue even accounts for this very unlikely outcome. Oh well. Nothing to do now but roll another character!

cool stuff, congrats! someday in the future I hope you write up a set of recommendations and builds (mini-guide?) for other players trying to accomplish this

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You flatter me, but my path to the golden dice was incredibly sloppy and filled with hijinks. If people saw how many times I canceled my own Twinned Haste out of carelessness for the hundreds of hours I've played this game, I'd be laughed at.

My #1 advice for anyone attempting a full run of their own would be Don't Try Anything New in Honor Mode.

hmm, that's kinda tough though. very few people will have the time for the several hundred hours you've put into the game. like I'm not even in act 2 on my first run yet. if I do honor mode it will be on my second run, with new builds for chars, and there's no doubt that with all the dice rolls I'll be encountering new stuff on a regular basis.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's an often overlooked bow sold by Dammon in the Emerald Grove that gives the wielder advantage against all monstrosity-type enemies, which comprise the majority of encounters you will face in Act 1. What they don't tell you is that it works on ALL attacks, not just ranged. Put that on Lae'zel and she will carry your istik nerds all the way to Last Light.

wtf? mind blown, I didnt even think to check it for non-ranged attacks

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

why would you attack the zhents? just xp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Deuce posted:

No, I mean when you just quit the game normally, and it's supposed to save the game.

Also after like five hundred hours in this game I just learned YOU CAN SHOP USING CASH THAT IS IN YOUR CAMP CHEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY IT WITH YOU AAAA

what?? was that patched in