Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Paracausal posted:

thanks for the new op!
still crawling through my durge run and gee, they're not holding back huh

My durge run was immaculate OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Shard posted:

lol on my Galethrough Astarian tries to drink my blood but apparently I taste like poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bardarian

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Forsythia posted:

I'll respec Shadowheart into something more offensively oriented. Thank you for the specific tips on how to build her, The Lord Bude!

I'm not very married to being a crossbow ranger, and if people say sword bard is versatile and competent, I want to give it a shot. I have no idea where to begin with it though, as I have never touched the bard class. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what exactly I should be doing with it?

I'm grateful for all the advice for the combat side of BG3. I really like everything else about it, so this will help me enjoy the game a lot more as a whole.

Bards are fantastic talkers out of combat and they can use BARDIC INSPIRATION to give themselves or any allies more favorable probabilities. They also learn an assload of spells from all other classes. Depending on the subclass the BARDIC INSPIRATION points can also be used passively/automatically to degrade enemy accuracy on otherwise successful attacks, making it more likely your buddies will also dodge. They're a jack-of-all-trades support otherwise, including sneaking and lockpicking/stealing poo poo. They should probably be in the back lines though, leave your fighter/monk/barbarian in the front to soak up poo poo.

Bards with enough levels also give your entire party one extra short rest heal, including any ability refreshing before you turn into the night. And they can also learn semi-permanent spells like LONGSTRIDER that gives everybody +3 meters of movement in combat. LONGSTRIDER is also a RITUAL spell, which means you can cast it infinitely out of combat without any resource cost, and you can put it on everybody for more mobility.

They also gain access to VICIOUS MOCKERY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8OP_gMPrUQ

And yes, you can respec anybody into anything for a small fee at camp, encouraging experimentation.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Black Noise posted:

You took a path they didn’t account for it seems like. I have a glitch with the Gur in act 3 that makes a goofy end for Astarions quest.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh....how do you win the Jackpot?
I just got it on my first run and I don't remember doing anything special for it. Now on my second run, I'm just not getting any option to do that no matter how many times I spin.

Is it some kind of passive check or something?

Make sure you have a high perception/wisdom Bard when you talk to Akabi

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

goons.txt

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

ChronoReverse posted:

Use the halfling for transmutation so that the 1's are rerolled for the medicine checks.

I just leave Gale as my half wizard/half bard camp nerd who does all my concocting and longstrider spells in Tactician and roll with Astarion in the field instead who can attack at least four times in Act One being half rogue/half fighter, that nerd prefers reading poo poo nobody cares about anyway :colbert:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:smugbert:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also having a bunch of level 3 spells wasted by a mega racist dwarf slaver spamming Counterspell only to shove his dumb rear end off a rickety makeshift platform and plummet to the bottom of a lake, killing him instantly, makes me :gizz:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

What I mean is, I failed the DC check to persuade Shadowheart out of killing Lae’zel because I wasted all my inspiration on the triple history check in Grymforge and long resting immediately afterwards. Shadowheart had all my scrolls but Lae’zel is my main bitch so the istik tasted steel.
Lend a hand, don't take one.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Don't gently caress with paladins. Especially oathbreakers who have no fucks left to give.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I'd rather hang out with the Githyanki than the Duegar any day of the week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Toadsmash posted:

:eng99: gently caress off, game

Lore accurate for an origins Astarion playthrough

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I love multiclassing wizards and barbarians for optimal synergy

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that there's no useful feats that give Int or Wis is loving stupid.

Int in general is an incredibly garbage stat in D&D because it does nothing but scale Wizards and any other bonuses are completely reliant on the DM.

Something something INT being bad and D&D fans.

More interesting options don't have to be more powerful.

INT probably should dictate casting for more than wizards(maybe sorcerers?) and also have more substats associated with it like Medicine instead of having WIS and CHA be the most important magic and skillcheck stats

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

feller posted:

Halfling barbarian

Fixed.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

[BARD] dialogue options are often being catty or bullshitting someone so if you like being the clever mischievous bard archetype it fits well for that.

Bards make a good PC because they get a ton of skill bonuses for dialogue and other checks, they have good utility spells (speak with animals and the dead, longstrider, disguise, feather fall, detect thoughts etc) and if you go College of Swords they're also one of the best martial fighty-type dudes.

Bard spells are pretty mediocre in combat. They have some good ones but their spellbook is overall pretty lackluster for combat, imo. If you want to lean into spellcasting then you want Lore college for more Magical Secrets to add some better spells to your repertoire, but even with that you're still fairly limited.

anyway it's great for your first/only playthrough mainly for the dialogue and skill checks. it also happens to be good at fighting

edit: somewhat related but I find it pretty easy to keep the Diadem of Arcane Synergy buff up pretty consistently, even after they fixed it. Tons of things still count as conditions. What this means is I should be able to get 2x Charisma damage bonus as a 5 swords bard / 7 oathbreaker paladin or up to 3x as a 5 blade warlock / 7 oathbreaker paladin. +18 damage is pretty baller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8OP_gMPrUQ

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

George Sex - REAL posted:

Speaking of races with mechanical advantages, the best in my mind is far and away Halfling.

Tired of rolling 1s? Get a halfling.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

AgentHaiTo posted:

I had the same experience with Minthara. I even tried to give her some rags to wear, but she didn't put them on in Moonrise. I also got the armor missing glitch, but it went away after awhile.

Also, in Act 3 now, and she comes on to you hard, even though I'm already in a relationship with Shart. I thought about it for a second, cause just like Lae'zel, she is very intense in her emotions.

Minthara is the funniest person I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nyX1SprQgg&t=122s

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

How are you gonna roleplay as a barbarian thief…??

The same way you roleplay as a barbarian wizard OP

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udk0zSCi8mA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've heard magic missile is real good but it seems like I'm missing something because it's kind of bad on my sorcerer. Maybe there's a wizard ability to improve it?

Magic Missile never misses (unless the enemy uses a Shield spell which is also rare), uses Force as an element which means not many things resist it anyway, can be divided against multiple targets to finish off more than one dumbass stubbornly clinging on to 2HP, and each hit also procs lightning charges if you have The Spellsparkler for extra damage and charges to compound the damage even more. And it can also chunk through Unstoppable barrier charges. It is an extremely good and cool spell.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 29, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

[in gale voice] Tormented.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, all those self-help Shar books are really expensive too. I didn't add them up, but they brought in tons of gold. I usually ignore books too when looking for loot to sell.

Even sick lore on Dribbles The Clown????????????????????????

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

I had to read this twice to realize you meant a throwing build karlach

Not if Tav is also a Barbarian

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Snake Maze posted:

But then how does - you know what, never mind

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

It's hard for me to enjoy the Githyanki in general because they are such assholes and the character design somehow makes each and every one of them look punchably smug. And then it doesn't help when the monks are just complete motherfuckers and pulling monk bullshit. Monk bullshit for me, not for thee!

Voss, Lae'zel, and Orpheus are cool though.

The duegar are even worse

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

Lollin at the idea of a scatterbrained protagonist getting distracted halfway into a fire rescue by some unchecked box on a cart across the map as the victims burn to death

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My preferred tactic of playing through Tactician is twincasting Haste with my sorcerer hiding in a corner and then letting everybody else run up to all the nefarious villains and beat the everloving poo poo out of them.

Also:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Then you get to act 3 and realise that 2 levels of spore Druid will let you give your entire party haste as a bonus action.

Yeah but then I'd have to play as a stupid smelly druid and the last thing I want is any more association with Halsin.

Unless it is Vinesauce Vinny's character:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I read about 5 pages but missed any discussion on the topic so sorry if this has been repeated a lot.

I just bought BG3 and I'm wondering what a good first character would be. I usually go Paladin for DnD games but since this game is very very story heavy I've heard that could really limit me. A bard would be good for that but from what I remember they're pretty weak. I find fighters pretty boring and pure casters too difficult. Cleric is good but I don't know if they have the dialog issues that Paladins have. I don't like multiclassing. I've been out of the DnD game thing for a few years.

Any ideas for a character for simple first time playthrough?

Half-Orc or Halfling Barbarian. You don't have to worry about magic or spells whatsoever, just pop Rage and run in front of people and cut them down with big axes. Also don't need to worry about armor that much.

Also Barbarians get the best dialogue of any class.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 31, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also the only appropriate way to play Paladin is to go Oathbreaker(kill the first innocent/nonthreatening people you encounter ASAP) while you're the Dark Urge origin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You've piqued my interest. I'll look into that.

It's still downloading.
Also there are options for mutton chops.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Can I get a big Punisher skull on my breastplate?

Not by default. Also I *think* you can't go Oathbreaker by going Vengeance Paladin and murdering innocent people. You can for Ancients/Devotion. Vengeance will go Oathbreaker if you show mercy or get bought off by villains instead of executing them.

I know for a fact that one of the main antagonists you eventually confront drops some badass skull armor but that is much later in the game. Not sure about any earlier instances.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Durge run, I presume :hmmyes:

You know it bay bee. Harry DUrge Bois is 100% lore accurate.

Can I be a communist?

Yes, actually. You need to speak to animals to do so.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 31, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Unlike the other Paladin subclasses, the Oathbreaker subclass is not available during Character Creation. Once you have taken an action that breaks your Oath, the Oathbreaker Knight will appear before you and let you know he will be waiting in your Camp. Speak with him to learn about Oathbreaking and, if you so desire, unlock the Oathbreaker subclass. This replaces the Channel Oath abilities and Spells from your previous Oath with new abilities and Spells available only to Oathbreaker.

Oathbreaking:

Oath of the Ancients: Killing a non-aggressive animal, raising the dead, or choosing an "Attack" dialogue option when more peaceful options are available.
code:
Kindle the Light. Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.

Shelter the Light. Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. 
Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.

Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can’t preserve it in the world.

Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.
Oath of Devotion: Attacking a non-hostile creature, refusing to defend someone who is obviously in need of aid, or deceiving your enemies (e.g. negotiating a peaceful resolution and then attacking anyway).
code:
    Honesty. Don’t lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise.

Courage. Never fear to act, though caution is wise.

Compassion. Aid others, protect the weak, and punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your foes, but temper it with wisdom.

Honor. Treat others with fairness, and let your honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as much good as possible while causing the least amount of harm.

Duty. Be responsible for your actions and their consequences, protect those entrusted to your care, and obey those who have just authority over you.
Oath of Vengeance: Convincing someone not to take their revenge on their transgressor, letting the guilty go without punishment, betraying those who were in need of vengeance and siding with their oppressor.
code:
    Fight the Greater Evil. Exerting your wisdom, identify the higher morality in any given instance, and fight for it.

No Mercy for the Wicked. Chasten those who dole out their villainy by wiping their blight from the world forever.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

AgentHaiTo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMLWGnA6qPM

I think for my next full on evil durge run, I'm gonna play Patrick Bateman. Human obviously, but what class should I go? Human Battlemaster who only uses axes?

Rock Dwarf Monk with no hair whatsoever

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

This is from a few pages ago but I have not found these gloves yet and am still getting Reverb stacks from Magic Missile. At first I thought it might be Phalar Aluve applying the condition but I will even get Reverb stacks from targets outside shriek range. So either it's bugged to work with anything, or it counts Lightning stacks as a condition. I suspect it might be the latter because the Reverberation count always seems to line up with how many lightning charges my Wizard has.

I have the lightning charge staff and the reverb gloves with the extra missile necklace and I'm getting a bunch of reverb and lightning stacks for more damage and the chance to knock something down on my sorcerer. Great combo, and since everything has higher AC on Tactician anything that has higher accuracy is more valuable.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I never stole much during my first runs so I don't have a good feel for the mechanics and now on HM I'm too chicken to try it much. Last time I tried was with the Bonecloak lady in the underdark because it seemed pretty safe place to try and I failed over and over again. I just wanted that loving caustic ring without paying a ridiculous amount for it. I tried just stealing the ring, tried breaking up the gold into smaller amounts, just couldn't ever steal a single thing. Only thing I've successfully stole on this run is the ring from the Djinni.

Why steal from the Djinni when you can just fart on his dumb loving face OP?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

CobiWann posted:

Just found out that you can talk Yurgir to death, so why do I feel sad that he put down the displacer beast?

Because if you get on his good side enough to talk to it and later him again, you realize he put the succubus spit on the dead spider and is drugging the displacer beast to be more obedient, because he views it as nothing more than a disposable tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Tactician with greater chances to miss on everything taught me to love magic missile and blunt weapons with tenacity more than anything