Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the correct way to do it is to chug a jump potion or cast enhance leap on a high strength character, turn on turn based mode, jump to the husband's bag, give him a misty step scroll, jump to the noblestalk, jump to the little cave with llolth candles, then jump back to origin and talk to the husband again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

superhero jumping is almost as universal a solution to problems as pushing people off a cliff in this game

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think there's actually a different dialogue depending on which you eat. durge just has one for both.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

OzFactor posted:

Controversial Elixirchat: I think the game would be significantly more balanced if elixirs didn't last until long rest. Even if they weren't round-based like potions but cleared with short rests. You really shouldn't be able to totally dump your primary stat as a martial class. Maybe instead of changing elixirs they should bring back stat requirements for classes, is that one of those things that does exist in 5E but not in the game? Anyway I fully realize I am being the fun police here.

unquestionably. was also thinking it's time for a new House Rule at the end of my last run.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I mean, you might as well role play in a role playing game, right? Besides the Blood Lady thing, I've just had Astarion (and maybe Minthara now) using brain worms, simply because I don't like the idea of my character using them, let alone pressuring other people to use them. It's maybe not something you could get away with on Honor or whatever, but I'm playing on normal loser mode so no worries :toot:

Okay, they were very close runners-up because seeing them reunite was adorable, plus Bex gives you cookies. They're all good though.

the bex and danis reunion scene, and a scene i won’t spoil for you, is so good and basically all that gets me through an otherwise dreary act 2, and why I will never be able to complete a truly evil run.

fwiw you can easily get away with not using worms on hm. I didn’t use them on my non solo party run and I wouldn’t say they were essential to the solo run. screw em.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if you do everything, you can actually hit level 10 before going down the final act 2 area and be halfway through by the end :smugdog:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wizard2 posted:

a big bag of assorted rings and necklaces is a pro strat. weighs almost nothing, you can swap them out on the fly as the need arises.

highly recommended

yup. never sell rings or amulets, just shove them in the magic stuff bag.

OzFactor posted:

I have let her choose and she chose violence on a play through where I just didn’t talk to her much. If you don’t have a definitely positive relationship with her then you should give her a nudge just in case. She just needs to feel like she has something (or someone) else to believe in, even just a little bit.

Must be hard to keep worshippers as the Goddess of Nihilism. Someone make the guy turning around meme with the woman walking to the camera labeled “Not Being Miserable”

"not being miserable" is shar though. her whole thing is appealing to miserable people and replacing the misery, and everything, else with nothing.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

On Reddit I found these instructions. I'm trying to follow along and if you respec to get the medicine skill and boost Wisdom it takes you back to L1 bard. So I do that , get medicine and pump Wisdom to 16, and confirm, now it's ready for my L2 choices, where I think I choose Wizard and the transmutation school from the multiclass button. I had another level ready so I switch back to Bard and pick College of Lore and click the little check box to boost Medicine, and at that point I'm out of stored levels. The hireling is an L3 bard L2 wizard (transmutation). So... as I level my regular party I should level this camp hireling in Wizard exclusively? Do I have to wait until they reach L3 Bard L6 Wizard to start making potions?

for your alchemist, you want Brinna because halflings reroll on a 1. you want her to have two levels in transmutation wizard, because they make double potions on a successful medicine roll. you want her to have max wisdom, because medicine is a wisdom roll. you want her to have levels in lore bard because you want proficiency and expertise in medicine, and bards get that early. the final thing you want is the enhance ability spell so you get advantage on wisdom rolls. this will succeed nearly every medicine check. have someone toss guidance on her too.

how you put that together isn't really important. I generally just soak up ingredients until level 8 or so for double wisdom ASI feats and make a big batch, then another big batch in act 3.

edit: you can get a ton of bang for your buck if you remember to check vendors for ingredients like hyena ears and cloud giant fingers. potion ingredients show up before the potions themselves for an easy power boost, and there's a neat weapon coating that doesn't drop organically made from frost salamander tongues.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 5, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Well that's a huge load off. Honor mode done :slick: Feels very good man

Massive caveat that I did the bare minimum in act 3 to get over the finish line but it felt almost inevitable once I got past that rear end in a top hat act 2 end boss. At no time was I seriously worried about wiping whereas I spent most of acts 1 and 2 in low key terror. By the time level 10 hits you're extremely powerful and the game starts showering you in OP loot and infinite money and it all snowballs. I was nervous about the 2 murder god bosses but lol they both died before getting a turn.

The ending was... odd with so many plot threads left unresolved. Brutal but understandable was Shadowheart leaving me after our post-Netherbrain gently caress to go figure her poo poo out because we didn't do House of Grief :smith:. Lae'zel was also extremely mad at me in the moment but weirdly sentimental in the epilogue.

REALLY wish I hadn't hosed up the Tiefling achievement because that and "evilest possible Durge choices" are about all I have left and I think those are incompatible.

Need to take a breather but I look forward to a completionist HM run at some point to see all the optional bosses. Not sure if I will do "real" HM again or just run the mod that's HM but no save limitations.

edit: hmm some time on google makes me think I can thread the needle of getting all my remaining achievements in one more run if I cheese just right. Maybe when the next patch drops.

hell yeah. grats

also yeah, most "skill" at bg3 comes down to knowing each individual encounter much more than knowing the game systems and mechanics in general. if you know the encounter there are 500 ways to solve it and you only need one, if you know the game systems but not the encounter there are instead 500 ways to gently caress it up and you also only need one.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 6, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I just started playing this game with my wife. We're both new to the game. I'm vaguely familiar with DnD and my wife knows fantasy's stuff. We're playing on the lowest difficulty, so we can't multiclass. I read the first post. Anything else we should look out for?

I'm realizing my wife and I have drastically different play styles.

Me: can we talk to these goblins?
wife: Karlach yeets goblin

And

Wife: why are they attacking me?
Me: you committed murder in front of them

if you post your class we can give you a build that'll carry for murderhobo wife, but on the lowest difficulty you can really just kick back and enjoy the story.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

F4rt5 posted:

Anyone have tips for not exploding or gassing yourself all the time on the way down, if you haven’t enough crap to throw on the gas outlets? I hate that section more than anything!

you can superhero jump down, but it's a good idea to keep a stack of items for vent traps. bones and skulls are plentiful and have negligible weight, so that's what I use.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there isn't really a good reason to stay with dual xbows on sword bard once you get titanstring bow or the deadshot, so it's basically for throwbarbs and OH monks.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sword bard wants high per-shot main hand damage because of flourishes, so you generally only want to run xbows in the early game. not to say that you can't run it to end of game if you like the pistols at dawn aesthetic, though.

edit: though i feel you must then run Marksmanship Hat.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

What do you do late game in that case? I just got to Act III, and the flourishes were still pretty handy taking out Myrkul. I managed to kill him in just 3 turns, and the first turn was just getting people in place to takeout the mindflayer, and freeing Aydin, with Tav as an open handed monk, Astarion as dual crossbow bard, La'zael as a straight up fighter, and Shadowheart as a straight up cleric.

to be clear, xbows are more than good enough to finish the game with. titanstring/deadshot are just better, so if you're going to be doing optimized multiclassing, you might as well do that.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Gotcha, thanks. So you just use 1 crossbow or regular bow with that? I'll have to look into that.

i use titanstring bow (zhent vendor in act 1) with giant strength elixirs. it adds your strength bonus to damage so you're getting +10 flat per flourish, which is very nice in early, and stays solid through the whole game since you get cloud giant elixirs later. deadshot with bloodlust elixirs is also an option in act 3.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

look, dick trauma, i adore your game journals, but i'm starting to get really triggered by you referring to lae'zel as "the gith" :mad:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can kill all the guards before you do the assault and literally just walk in.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

no, I mean you can do it before you even go to shadowfell. it can be the first thing you do in act 2 if you want.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

really need a mod that turns me into a wheel of cheese for next run

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Leal posted:

I'm getting up to that point and I'm considering going through and killing everyone in Moonrise before reaching the attack on Moonrise.

you should. going agent 47 on them is fun and good xp and I do it every time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Definitely do that that but also buy out + rob all the vendors first.

just don't kill the vendors. nobody will notice that 80% of the people are gone if you silent assassin it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like I want to wipe out all these dark dwarfs but for my PC thematically it wouldn't make sense. But some of them back you into a corner during conversations so your choice is to either be terrible or fight, so...

they are carrying loot and experience points that rightfully belong to you, and for that they must die

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I like when there's an evil option so I can not choose that

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Myrkul's another absolute dogshit encounter that will shred through most party compositions on tactician. No melee fighters can stand in front of him because they can never heal. The necromites are annoying as gently caress and you need to have a way to kill the eggs at all times. You need static long duration spells like wall of fire and the like, basically a tailored party and some luck to beat him. Which means a reload and a considerable waste of your time is what ultimately beats Myrkul.

i killed him on honor mode with one guy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I have never attacked the lava elemental, as far as I know it doesn’t even drop anything good.

it drops Experience Points.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Black Noise posted:

Sounds like a bunch of missed xp to me :colbert: but I’m not here to yuk your yum

it is a bunch of missed xp, and i am here to yuk your yum

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

those drunk kobolds give like 75 xp each and basically kill themselves!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's very funny. and those barrels only weigh 10kg.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

looks fun. might try this next run.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

oddly enough, the bhaal ending was the only one I was really satisfied with, even though it's like two ominous shots of you just sitting down looking sinister.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

break in and kill his rear end

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's slightly more metagamey to take Raphael's deal then break in later, since you get the Hammer right away (a decent 1h mace in its own right) and don't have to pass the DC30 check to get Lae'zel's big gamer girl weapon.

i don't remember any dc 30 checks. i usually tell raphael to beat it, tell lae'zel we're gonna get the hammer the hard way, tell voss we're gonna bust in and steal the hammer, and then he gives her the silver sword when you present the hammer in the sewers.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

aha.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

D&D is such a stupid system. The game gives me an insanely high level spell, Power Word Kill, and limits it to one use ever because it's supposed to be such a big deal, and the spell is still a worse use of a single action than spending it on just me whacking a dude with a sword.

EDIT: Also it's an INT spell? When basically every class will have INT as a dump stat?

you always have to keep in mind the subtext of all three games that the dead three are dumb as poo poo and not very powerful, e.g., the slayer also sucks. i think it's a funny running joke.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bg1 has the chosen of bhaal defeated by a guy who's like level 8 and has never set foot outside the monastery

and also, a bg1 level 8 is like a level 5 in bg3 terms

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

skill issue. I loot everything, toss it in one of the many backpacks I looted, and send it to camp if I run out of carry capacity. when it's time to do a sell run I go to the vendor, go to camp, dump all the items in one backpack and then on my face guy (the game will let you go massively overweight like this), then mass add them to wares and sell them. takes no time at all. path of exile dump tab technique ftw.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

crepeface posted:

the BOOOAL's benediction that you get from sacrificing a companion seems like it sucks. advantage on attack rolls on bleeding enemies is a pretty bad reward for losing a companion, if i'm not planning on using karlach at all this playthrough.

i'm trying to do an evil run but it doesn't feel like it's fun to be evil so far. seems like the rewards are crap/worse than otherwise and there's often not even a good RP reason to do it.

if you switch to a pickpocketing companion during the dialogue and steal the sickle from the fish priest, you get the benediction without sacrificing a companion if you follow the dialogue tree that would normally give you the sickle.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah the evil path is basically there so you can not take it, and that's fine.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wizard2 posted:

explosives in this game rule and I wish there were a way to mass produce them more easily (Baneite moment)

vendors sell everything except barrels and runepowder i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I did the same but by flying up to the roof next door. It was very satisfying

the best way to do it is to jump up on the roof and abuse the z-axis bugs to throw people off through floors. apparently I do not have a screenshot of this however. but you can just pick them up and throw them while they're a floor down, with no apparent line of sight.