Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Steam update post with a bunch of gifs of the new content: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3883856311462064032?l=english

I deleted my save file and achievements and will be beginning fresh with this new update :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, the update is out. And... I'm rusty after not having played for months. Yeah, let's go with that excuse, it's me being rusty...

Best tip I can give to new/returning players is to prioritize evade, block, stamina, armor, and soul hearts (in roughly that order).

Also hold onto your dashes until you absolutely need to use them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jusupov posted:

I started at paragon 43, idk what it counted from before since now its boss kills for xp

There was a rough conversion from your total souls accumulated. I wouldn't worry about it.

Speaking of paragon levels, I really recommend turning on the Luck upgrade for the first 3 floors. It's immediately accessible with your first mastery point, first node left from the center. Makes a huge difference in getting your power curve rolling forward.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Okay, I think I got it.

Also, do you need to be pure good/evil to get to level 12? In other words, will going to a law/chaos shop and buying things gently caress up your run?

Nah, the two axes are independent of each other. You can qualify for two gates if you like.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why put an ichor bowl here? :nallears: I think this is just trolling from the dev for people not paying attention and thinking this is the end before heading up the divine throne.

:cawg: Try it and see.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some of the mastery perks help quite a lot with survival. Lucky Start (+1 luck on first 3 floors) and Call to Adventure (suppression hearts on first 3 bosses) are immediately accessible from the start, cost 2 points total, and can easily make the difference between a run that snowballs and a run that gets killed via attrition. In the Eleventh Hour (more healing) and Rebirth (1 respawn) are also 2 points, as are First Aid (+1 flask) and Hope (+1 soul heart). After these 6, which I consider essential, you can just specialize in whichever you like.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The new version felt extremely difficult at first playing it on the beta, but by the time you get a grip on how to make overpowered builds it gets a lot easier.

Extremely broadly speaking, Strength focuses on getting their numbers as big as possible (crushing blow, ruthless hit), Dexterity wants to attack as fast as possible with flat +damage boosts (infusions, lucky hits, trigger hits, tallies), and Intelligence tries to compound different types of power boosts to get multiplicative scaling.

And always take the starting Dice gift and prioritize dice reward rooms. Using dice well makes the game a whooole lot easier.

Yep, dice are a godsend. Especially golden dice are much more useful now that boss rewards come in threes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This was fun. Crushing Blow (guaranteed max roll on damage) & Ruthless Hit (damage range is doubled) & Fighter's Reward (50% boost to top-end damage) plus extreme scaling from S strength, S str->dex and S dexterity for 13377 damage per vegetable.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1025090099714732143/1188184460315873290/bomby.webm

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For people who are struggling to find additional survivability: are you finding the secret rooms and locked cellars? Across a full run that's about an entire floor's worth of pickups.

Blood chests also have a high chance of giving you an extra heart.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seconding Paladin as easy-mode. But of the base classes I think Mystic, Knight, and Wizard are the strongest and simplest to actually rack wins with.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Time was, they were great value to unlock the hard way. But now that things have changed, it feels like both their value has gone down and the cost has gotten more terrifying, making them seem useless. (Do they even have max hearts any more?!?!) So I have largely avoided those rooms.

Yes, that's what I meant earlier when I said blood chests can give hearts. Even if they don't give hearts they usually give you something else really valuable, like vitamins.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's worth noting that if you stock up a lot of blue dice and use them all at the same levelup the talents all only appear once each and eventually you'll start being offered the superhero and esper talents on any class [...]

Similarly, like 4-5 red dice on bosses from Floor 8 or higher will eventually roll a guaranteed Legendary payout.

Dice are really, really good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

How on earth do you even get 14 blue dice :stare: I rarely seem to see more than 3 or 4 dice rewards offered per run, even with the +1 ethereal dice per pack meta ability and the starter pack that's unlikely to get you past 10.

Try bombing arcade machines before they break.

Luck will also give you bonus dice if they proc on rewards.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

e: Any idea how many tries at the slot machine it takes before it breaks? I feel like I get a ton of great loot out of it each time, so I don't want to bomb it too early.

More than 15, fewer than 30. I usually bomb it once I score several rewards rather than relying on a specific count of coins fed into it. You gotta develop a feel for it I think.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two-fer:

https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1739357999490039998

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All good changes:

https://twitter.com/tiny_rogues/status/1739605739868488109

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

This seems even more important, a place where you get a heart / stamina / mana. I wonder if it will be in a fixed place, instead of being rng dependent.

Looks like it'll be a "every 3rd floor" deal or something along these lines.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

More patch 0.2.1 previewing... Ruby has heard your pleads for survivability.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patch notes, not too much different from what Turin Turambar posted above: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3883856311482028274

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Captain Flame Guy posted:

I think when it explicitly says "X% more" it's multiplicative.

To expand on this, because this is a very important part of the game's power scaling and terminology:

"% increased damage" is very distinct from "% more damage". They are two separate types of damage increases! So having 100% increased damage and 100% more damage is not the same as having 200% increased damage and 0% more damage. The former will give you 4x damage altogether, the latter will give you 3x.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That, plus the room RNG needs a bit tweaking. There's literally no loving point in giving me a "recharge a flask" as one of my first two doors. I just landed in the dungeon, there's no way for me to have lost any health yet!

One of the Cinder difficulty modifiers has you start at 1 health with no flask charges or soul hearts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What exactly are you using that you're swapping equipment for the boss room? I pretty much never touch attunement unless I have Tyler's Robe.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It just occurred to me that the locked Abyss portion will likely be the Chaos alignment route whenever it releases. It also makes sense that Hell/Heaven doors are positioned left to right while Shadow Realm/Abyss are positioned up and down.

The Abyssal Charm also gives +1 Chaos when you take it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Something I just realized: If you have a companion with Companion Weight lower than your maximum companions you can use the item multiple times to summon multiple of the same companion :doh:

This makes every source of +companions insanely good, lmao

I figured this out on my own recently as well too. Blew my mind because for so many runs prior to that I'd get +1 companions and spend the rest of the run trying to find a second companion drop so I could summon an extra one.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

To add to this, some companions have lower weight than others, for no particular reason. Like this:
has 0.5 weighting, which means you can summon 2 of them for each companion slot you have.

Yep, the way I figured it out was accidentally double-clicking on the Fetish Doll companion item and summoning two of them. Prior to that I'd figured that the 0.25 companion weight meant you could summon one, and still have a slot for another companion entirely :rolleye:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RoboCicero posted:

Is there a way to detect secret rooms without taking the perk? I'm too scatterbrained to remember unique decals or anything.

X marks the spot

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Your Computer posted:

on an unrelated note i thought "bet this would be great to play in bed on my steam deck" but then i realized i have no idea how anyone manages to play this with a controller. long range weapons like bows are fine with the auto-aim but everything else i struggle with using

You should be able to crank up (or down) the autoaim in the settings, that should help a little.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FZeroRacer posted:

im not a fan of the current iteration of mana, since it doesn't make much intuitive sense and it feels more like it's there to punish magic rather than be a powerful or meaningful resource. i was doing sorcerer runs and they felt like one of the weakest starters in the game, and most of the mana perks felt fairly bad.

I think that's more Sorcerer having a bad starting weapon and mediocre trait, since Pyromancer is among the strongest starts in the entire game.

As for mana recharge, just have a decent weapon on swap and press right click whenever your blue bar goes to 0. Right click again after 1-2 seconds.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have it at like 35%. I like it but the full effect is way too much.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gunslinger (repeat attacks on lucky hit) gets really wacky if you get Hunter's Mark (hugely boosted lucky hit) and then lean heavily into Marks and tallies:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1025655068520894514/1191127739554615396/green_buffs_Y.webm

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Infinity Gaia posted:

I personally consider those two well worth losing 6 early game rooms. Getting a guaranteed secret room every floor is a LOT of bonus resources and can get you really strong stuff early if you get lucky.

Not to mention that the guaranteed secret room doesn't supersede the regular chance to roll a secret room, so you can get 2 secret rooms per floor. You're also usually drowning in bombs, and you can bomb the secret rooms during a fight to speed it up if you can double-tap enemies at the same time too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

re: alignment, one thing that virtually everyone overlooks is that Floor 11 will have a soul shop and you can top off your alignment before the soul weighting test. Lately I'll often go into F11 with +2/+3 and just finish my requirement in the soul shop there.

You do need to have a decent amount of stock saved up though, and it also helps a lot if you actively path for soul rewards as well.

I also take the mastery perk that increases gold prices but decreases soul prices. I'm usually drowning in gold anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

Oh hell, I never knew that the floor 11 shop gave alignment rewards, I thought it was just another generic soul shop.

In the beta it originally didn't give an alignment bonus (branch-appropriate) until I suggested it :shobon:

Though I think you're right, the soul shop in F11 should say e.g., "Good Shop" instead of "Soul Shop"

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 3, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm certain that alignment will get several more passes throughout the development lifetime of this game. It's pretty barebones right now and not a lot of stuff interacts with it (nor is there stuff to interact with).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you guys get a chance, please report the lasers you've had hitbox issues with to either the discord's bug-reporting channel or the Steam discussion page. I've already reported a few of these and seen them get fixed but there's a lot of lasers in the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doomed to Fail is muuuuuch more manageable nowadays that it actually gives you a real trait instead of either locking out that level completely or giving you a permanent malus. Especially with the increased abundance of obsidian dice and the new Trait Knowledge books.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/tiny_rogues/status/1743727869337997705

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

There's a red trait that gives +1 companion limit at the cost of making your attacks do minimum damage only, which is probably not worth it but is good for gimmick runs. (Also it's not clear how it interacts with crushing blows, if you have 100% crushing blow it might negate the downside?) Also a charm that gives +1, and I'd swear that there's at least one other +1 equipment item available?

There's also something that gives you +50% to minimum damage rolls. As for equipment I know of at least two that give you extra companion slots, the Sheep Costume and the Safari Hat.

You can also get companions through traits (Ancestral Spirit, Arcane Familiar) or gear (Hydra Wand, Beetle Armor). They don't give you stats (directly) but the extra source of damage is great for aura builds.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IMO giving players the advice of "here's how to build better" is kinda missing the point if they find the game too hard. Yes, it'll help them kill bosses faster. That's not the hard part.

The hard part is surviving the attacks and being able to reliably dodge through the patterns. That's what kills players, not the part of not having enough damage. That part just means fights take longer (which can be cool sometimes: I didn't know Amon had a powerup form until recently).

As to that, my advice is to 1. Always be moving, ideally circling around the room if you don't 2. Watch the bullets and be where the bullets won't be in the future 3. Only dash if you absolutely must to dodge an attack.

The other half of this is just simple familiarity with the game. After enough runs you'll just unconsciously dodge, for example, the homing attacks from the poison mosquitoes on Floor 5 without thinking about it. (The dodge pattern is simple: wait until they're about to hit you then step forward and past them. These bullets can't curve fast enough to keep chasing you.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just built out my masteries to give me as much loot as possible. I can ignore/mitigate RNG if I'm drowning in gold, souls, and loot.

Top branch: Smash & Grab, Trust Issues, Secret Service, Window Shopper, Supply & Demand (gold up, souls down)
Left branch: Lucky Start, Left to Fate, Compromised Loot, Thief in the Shadows, Spoiled for Choice.
Bottom branch: Drinking on the Dot, Smuggler's Nook.

The remaining points I just use on QoL stuff.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Beta testing for next update has begun: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3984063305573313446

tldr:
  • A lot of bugfixes
  • 2 new postgame room rewards
  • New damage type: Nature
  • Mana rebalance/refactor, including items and consumables
  • Companion buffs
  • 3 new resins
  • Massive Soul Scarf nerf
  • Reworks to several starting gifts
  • New magic-find mastery along with balance changes to masteries

This is supposedly 50% of what will become the 2.2 patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Isn't Nature already an explicit damage type? There are weapons that deal nature damage and talents that trigger based on dealing nature damage.

There are incredibly few of them though so expanding it to more weapons/talents would be cool.

I think the change is now that it counts as an explicit elemental damage type which matters for a few items and perks.