Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife and I watched the reboot of @midnight, After Midnight and it was rough to say the least. Taylor Tomlinson was ok, its very clear this is her first hosting gig of any kind so I am not judging her for the first episode and I hope (and believe) she will grow into it. The biggest issue out the gate is that its an hour long, its basically doing what @midnight did but just doing a lot more of it so it gets stale and spins its wheels pretty fast. They would be better off doing two episodes a night with different contestants, or do a Jeopardy like thing where the winner stays on to the next episode. Between that and the editing, it felt like a slog. I showed my wife an old clip on Youtube of the OG @midnight (it had Ron Funchess, Nikki Glaser, and Doug Benson so it was sort of a stacked lineup) and the difference was clear in pacing and punchiness. I bet a competent editor could make what they put out into a solid half hour that was pretty close to the old version.

I will watch this week, but after that I don't think I will be watching again unless someone I really want to seeis on it. But I hope when that happens they have the pacing and editing figured out by then, because the concept is great and is a really great way to showcase up and coming talent and stand ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Kinda cruel

Assisted living is the god drat dream, I am guessing you have no idea what it actually is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My biggest memory from that was all the Youtube fan edits that popped up for a few weeks, but quickly went away because Youtube started caring about copyright and DMCA stuff. The "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" Looney Tunes edit with song mixed over it was just perfect. I was also partial to one with a long food fight scene from Step by Step.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Have they said how much it is supposed to cover? Because I don't trust Netflix to not drag this out.

See, I was thinking the opposite in that they only have so much time until Aang looks grossly older.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I've been watching After Midnight, and it's getting better every night. Taylor Tomlinson is getting more comfortable, and they're figuring out what the show is, the comedians included. I'm not gonna say it's quite there yet, but I'm laughing.

Yean, I give it a month or so to actually find its way. The best epsiode so far was with Paul F Thompkins, but that was him with Aparna Nancharla and Carl Tartt. That lineup could make anything funny. Pacing is definitely an issue, and the CBS censor is pretty heavy handed. Going to watch the Doug Benson episode later today, which is pretty likely to be good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I also assume that, after the Max Greenfield episode, they'll hesitate to get non-comedian actors on again. He seemed so lost, and genuinely happy when he was cut. Like, the guy had no idea what he was doing, and his funniest bits were when he leaned in on ruining the segment.

My theory is that he showed up thinking it was just the late night talk show and not an improv game show and just rolled with it as well as he could.

Like his agent told him he was on after Colbert to plug his new show, and that was it.

Also, it was deffo last minute, the clip they used to promote his shown didn't even have him in it!!

swickles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 24, 2024

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am going to guess its a dump truck full of money that goes for exactly one year to cover the election.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

If I set the over/under for "Jon Stewart is now the full time host of the Daily Show again" at four months, what do you take

I think that is up to Jon, and I doubt he wants the full time schedule.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Here's my prediction on how the Daily Show stuff is going to pan out.

Monday ratings are going to be a ton higher than the other 3 days.

They end up renaming the show "The Daily Show: Weekly Edition with John Stewart" and that's the only version that airs on Comedy Central. Otherwise the correspondents do a half dozen or so 10 minute segments that they release throughout the week on Paramount+.

This presumes something else worthwhile to put on Comedy Central in its place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Reruns of South Park are cheaper than producing 3 nights of extra shows that have no ratings draw due to a lack of host.

If you are producing it anyways for Paramount+, just put it on, its probably no better or worse ratings wise than South Park.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

jesus christ

I really want to know what impact the NFL wild card game being Peacock only had on both its ratings and Peacock subscriptions, and how many zombie subs remain 6 months from now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dev Patel as Indian John Wick, count me the gently caress in.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Truspeaker posted:

Does Lance not get the first one??

I have some bad news for you about how most honorary awards get their name...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Fifteen minutes ago I asked my chef pal if he watches The Bear or Boiling Point. He gave a fairly emphatic no.

I lived with two other chefs in my time and they didn't watch these types of shows. And I don't talk to a third but I doubt he would.

Makes sense. Doctors don't watch medical fiction (key word). Do lawyers watch Suits or Rake?

What? Doctors absolutely watch medical shows. At least good ones. I don't know a single doctor who hasn't watched Scrubs at least once. In medical school, we would have House watch parties. Gray's Anatomy was the heavy favorite among women in our school. I don't think there is a standout medical show currently aside from first reaponder based ones to be fair.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

As a history professor, I honestly can't think of a single fictional depiction of my profession at all, accurate or not.

In terms of professors in general I heard from a few people that the Netflix show with Sandra Oh from a few years ago was accurate, but I never watched it.

I will say that in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy being behind on grading term papers is also pretty spot on. And the importance of archive work that he mentions once at the start. But being mobbed by students in office hours? I think I had two students total come to office hours in all of last year.

God its like National Treasure doesn't exist to you people...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Of the Jacks I think Skellington is still the most powerful.

Its clearly Donaghy. Are we doing this? Are we having a good old fashioned Jack Off right now?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1752951011487199672?t=4d8IBOrc3ZGTFyV-9O1Zcw&s=19

This is the first time I have felt like it might actually happen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I’m still super annoyed that Hulu doesn’t have playlist functionality.

I would often have FXX on as I work in the afternoon since it’s just KOTH, Simpsons, and Bob’s Burgers. All of that stuff and more is on Hulu.

I just wish I could dump all the Archer, American Dad, Bob’s Burgers, KOTH, select seasons of the Simpsons into a massive playlist and hit shuffle. That would be peak background TV for me.

I have been complaining about this forever, especially because I wan't holiday playlists. Throw on all the Bob's Thanksgiving episodes while I cook, or all the Treehouse of Horror's during Halloween. Then they went and did exactly that, except when you play an episode, it doesn't play the next one on the list, it just plays the next one in the series. So if you want to watch say all the Bob's Burgers Christmas episodes from that list, when you play Season 2, Episode 12 the next one to play isn't Season 3, Episode 11, its Season 2 Episode 13. To actually use the "playlist" you have to back out and manually select the next one. Like, they got exactly halfway to a good idea.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

mystes posted:

Is the harry potter show just going to be an adaptation of the books again? that kind of seems like a dumb idea

Its supposed to be that plus some of the other lore Rowling has written after the fact, like making Dumbledore more gay, establishing some parental relationships, and removing any references to Transfigurations class.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I don't. The job of the comedian is to be funny. If they have to be offensive to marginalized groups of people, laughing at not with them, so be it. I can definitely absolutely 100% see why someone would not find this funny just because it is offensive. Personally I can usually laugh even if I'm not proud of it.

If it's not funny, what's left? A form of self expression? Sure. But we're then able to say he's being a lovely person (if you're forgiving like me and don't outright label most lovely people period). Just like music can be self expression even if it's bad but we can still say it's bad. Unfunny comedy is bad comedy even if it lets the comedian let off steam.

I think it doesn't necessarily have to be funny, but it does have to be entertaining and compelling. Nanette is a great stand-up special because it's so earnest and heartfelt, but it is also punctuated by jokes that actually land. I think Patton Oswalt's Annihilation is similar. A large chunk of it is sad and depressing, but also very cathartic and when he delivers a joke, it hits naturally. More and more comedians are doing that type of tightrope act and when they do its clear who the real talented ones are.

What you can't do is deliver a rant or story that noone can connect to and then try deliver a joke that thuds.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

This was the exact same attitude people had in 2016.

Whats even funnier is Che wrote the sketch about black people not being surprised at all at the Trump win while white libs cried asking how in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Speaking ofnalt historyz did that poorly concieved show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War by the GOT ever get anywhere?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Speaking of Halo, they didn't learn any lessons from season 1, did they? This Dracula won't surf goddammit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of Halo season 2, does it do a good job of recapping what happened in season 1?

I have some older family members who enjoyed season 1 but I doubt they remember what the hell happened at this point.

It does not. There isn't even a "previously on", it just goes as if you just finished the season moments before.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Medullah posted:

I didn't get that at all. The impression I got was "The democrats should have picked someone better than Biden in 2020 and they're now stuck with him, but he's better than Trump"

Yeah, people are freaking out at the "both sides" thing when it was the gentlest and most objective criticism one could level. The fact that these are the oldest people to run, and are breaking the record set by themselves 4 years ago is something to be angry/frustrated by. People thought it was going to be 30 minutes of Trump jokes, which at this point is neither funny nor clever and certainly not fresh. Not saying anything they did was particularly fresh (Dulce Sloan was the best part).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

PND is, imo, the worst of the on-line comic groups they've brought in because almost all their sketches are "us in the writing room having a weird interaction with this week's host". Lonely Island and Good Neighbor (Mooney & Beckett) did like actual sketches and stuff.

This was actually the first thing I saw them do which is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBpgqRbEFVg

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

As someone who grew up in the evangelical Rapture-any-day-now tradition*: that whole poo poo is crazy as hell. And stressful, certain strains of Christian take great joy in explaining, in detail, what punishments the forces of the Beast will visit upon the faithful - my older cousin told me that the anti-christ would have all Christians executed by guillotine, but facing up so they could see the blade...

*There are three main views of the tribulation vis a vis the rapture: that it happens before the tribulations and it is only the wicked that suffer, that it happens midway through the tribulations, or that it only happens after.

I know this is the TV thread, but if you like reading I highly recommend Hell is a World Without You by Jason Kirk who grew up in that tradition and is now a college football journalist. As a bonus all the proceeds until 2/17 are donated to the Trevor Project.

quote:

Rarely has an Evangelical upbringing been depicted with the relentless honesty, wide-ranging empathy, and Superbad-meets-Siddhartha playfulness of HELL IS A WORLD WITHOUT YOU.

“During the time of Pizza Hut buffets, 9/11, and all-night Mario Kart parties, a grieving teenager faces a mortal crossroads: fire-and-brimstone certainty vs. forbidden love. And whether or not you’ve ever begged God to delay the Rapture (so you could have time to lose your virginity), that kid’s story is about you.”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Glad to see that dude from Game of Thrones getting some work too!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It truly makes me sad to think of the amount of money wasted on branding shenanigans.

Fandango Media (jointly owned by NBCU (75%) and Warner Bros Discovery (25%)) bought Vudu in 2020 and shuttered FandangoNOW.

Today, they announced, Vudu will be renamed Fandango at Home.

So, you killed one brand name and then turned around and named it something else. They say libraries are staying the same as always, but they are also talking about this being a “one stop shop for Movie Tickets and OnDemand”. To me, that feels like they are going to lessen the emphasis on ownership and put more on trying to get that sweet money for temporary viewing of first run content.

I honestly wonder how much money was spent going from HBO Now, to HBO Max, to Max.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s an extraordinarily dumb take because the entire point of the show is to show how he got to that point.

What did you want, a “wacky client of the week”?

I agree that's a bad example, but drat if the original tweet isn't right. Halo looks like they are finally doing Halo stuff halfway through the 2nd season. We saw a glimpse of the actual Halo ring in the last few seconds on the final episode of the 1st season.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way they get to Halo before the final seconds of Season Two, especially seeing as leaked episode titles make it seems like we are making a detour to loving Onyx of all places.

God dammit. It at least looks like they are doing Fall of Reach, which is a pretty established and detailed piece of Halo lore. I had assumed the season would at least end with the Master Chief landing on Halo and teasing the Flood.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Did they? I thought the general reaction was that it was surprisingly decent.

My impression from those that watched it was that the first 2 or 3 episodes were really bad but the rest was decent.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, Halo finally had some some stuff happen and it was fun watching Master Chief and marines fight aliens!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

In a similar vane, I only have a very casual knowledge of D&D but really liked Vox Machina on Amazon.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

X-O posted:

In the live action show Sokka is much more 'You need to do what I say because I'm in charge' instead of 'You need to dowhat I say because girls are weak and have no place doing boy things' like in the original. And honestly Sokka is pretty unlikable at the beginning of the cartoon. So I think the toning down of that has more to do with maybe not making the audience completely hate a main character right off the bat than not wanting to show sexism at all. Especially since in the live action show they kept the sexism angle completely intact in regards to the Northern Water Tribe.

I just started it and that was my immediate thought too. Like the biggest part of Sokka's character is that his dad left to fight and so he thinks he has to be the man of the village and is striving to show he is a great leader and protector. That comes across really well in the first episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just saw Family Guy is moving to Wednesday night. When was the last time an animated network show was on an actual weekday (not Friday) in prime time? The Simpsons I remember being on during the week until eventually settling with what would become Fox's animation block with King of the Hill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Extraordinary is back. The first episode was the same old good (so, you know, good) but the second episode is really, really funny.

Yes!! Looking forward to this!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Upload renewed for fourth and final season. I thought it was done, good for it.

Great, that would have been one hell of a cliff hanger to end on.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Goggins, Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Emerson. At the very least its gonna be fun to watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dude should do masked singer and have everyone guessing football players.