Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

More cost cutting at Castle Zaslav. Ten episode seasons are becoming eight (The Last Of Us, House Of The Dragon), and eight episode seasons are now becoming six.

British TV fans eating good for once in their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have to give Curb another chance. Fiance and I started watching it during the COVID two week lockdown and that was not a good time to watch a show seemingly all about being neurotic in public.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Seinfeld is still great, y'all are weird. Just like any older media, it helps to consider the context of its moment in understanding its perspective, but an occasional dated joke doesn't invalidate good writing.

People who talk about Seinfeld not being funny always mention things like how cellphones would invalidate every situation. Like they're incapable of remembering anything before a few years ago. You're posting on the SA forums, you were alive back then! Don't tell me you don't remember not being able to pinpoint the exact GPS coordinates of your car or someone you were looking for.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I genuinely hope it never dies, I want Simpsons to drag itself along history and be one of the things to outlive the USA. I want future cultures to look back once it finally ends to think of it like they were our Greek mythos.

There's a couch gag where The Simpsons lives on and on and on and eventually becomes this bizarre far future thing. It was kind of crazy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Reacher finale was a big wet fart on a big wet turd of a season. Just a ton of murder and sadist acts from "the good guys".

I knew it was a fluke that I liked season 1 of a show my dad loves

Everything about that show screamed Boomer Bait and I don't know how goons got themselves into it. Is it because man comically big?

On the other hand I just watched episode 1 of Hazbin Hotel because Amazon Prime suggested it and there's a TV-IV thread, and it made me scream "What the gently caress did I just watch?" in my head, so maybe I'm the old-rear end?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Dave Attell just showing up as a one scene barely any lines character.

That's the second time I've heard Dave Attell mentioned today. The first was while watching an old Carl Weathers clip from Arrested Development.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_Rxvg8vdo

Yeah I hadn't even had a thought about her in years but she killed it on SNL. The Roast video above made me laugh harder than I'd laughed in years at SNL.

Those guys are funny, too. I've always said this, but SNL's prerecorded sketches are usually miles above anything else on the show, some top tier sketch comedy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I watched "Boy Swallows Universe" over the past few days and was surprised no one talked about it here. It was pretty good, with some strong character growth. It made it really feel like time was passing realistically, with things like the alcoholic dad struggling to overcome alcoholism and being quite stunted socially in a way that I couldn't tell if it was because of or masked by the drinking and the mute brother eventually talking, also the philosophical/fantasy-lite "future memories" thing. I didn't like the very bizarre ending with the mad scientist mutant lab; felt like the guy being a drug kingpin with an underground drug manufacturing lab like Breaking Bad would have been more realistic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ucGt_Xp14
Trailer for Apple TV's adaption of the Blake Crouch novel, Dark Matter. While this is a multiverse story if it follows the book it'll tackle some interesting consequences of infinite universes.

I just finished the book less than a half hour ago, and this looks great. Got some exposition-giving characters to tell the streaming audiences what was in Jason's thoughts, and there are a lot of flashes of scenes straight from the book. The major difference seems to be giving Daniela her own agency and story while Jason's doing his thing. Really, really curious how they're going to do the third act.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was ready to give up on The Good Place season 1 because I thought they were spinning their tires and repeating the same joke over and over. I'm so glad I stuck it through.

After season 2 began, we were talking to my parents and recommended it. In some weird Boomer logic, they started with the premiere episode of season 2 and were very confused. Had to wait until years later for them to try again, once they forgot what they had watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

There is a lot of novel content being pushed out and it's obviously unsustainable, but my main gripe-comparison-with-00s is the production schedules. I know covid hosed a lot of poo poo up (and ended plenty of good shows for good!), but it feels dumb that we still have to wait what, 2-ish years for a new season of Incest and Dragons show, or The Boys, or almost anything. I'm OK with the fact that I can't consume everything that comes out because I only have so many hours for teevee in a day, and frankly that's fine since a lot of the novel content isn't stuff that'd necessarily even interest me, but god damnit it sucks waiting for stuff to pick up where we left off :argh:

I'm starting to enjoy one-and-done shows a lot more. Back in the day we'd call them "mini-series" but no one seems to use that term anymore. I think it's because the streaming services always want to leave open the possibility they can squeeze another season out of it somehow or turn it into a franchise with spin-offs and reuse the name.