Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

master and commander the far side of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Vakal posted:

Can anyone even remember the last time an actor was in a movie so bad that it actually ruined their career?

I feel that hasn't been a thing since the pre-80's and when actors quit the business now it's mostly due to them just being tired with all the poo poo.

Ruined? idk. I can think of more recent instances of performers trying to make the jump to film from stand-up or tv and getting bounced out of Hollywood after their first mainstream lead role — Tom Green, Elizabeth Berkley, Tupac, etc.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Kingo Ligma posted:

I got some real bad news about what year it is, how old you are, the location of your hairline, who was US President from 2016-2020, exactly how stupid most people are when there is an international medical emergency that mildly inconveniences them, Star Wars, Cinema in general, and the Weinstein company.

Very happy you have awoken safely from your coma though.

1996 isn't more recent than 'pre-80s'?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What in the gently caress is the movie poor things? It looks insane.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

justice for giamatti

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

You figure it has to be tough for ansel elgort to have his white guy in japan moment upstaged so dramatically. And by mom: we have tom hardy at home, at that

ansel elgort should be used to being upstaged, it happens in every scene he's ever been in

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc

Looks like more "shot on the volume" slop.

the bad guy is wearing an N95 mask... subtle

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

oh, honey, they weren't talking about the movie

even worse!

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

I enjoyed both Prometheus and Rogue One.

I avoided Rogue One for a long time but it turned out to be the only Star Wars movie since ROTJ that I liked (still haven't seen Solo or ep 9 and never will, God willing), and I'd rank it right after Empire and A New Hope. Although they were brief, the very worst parts were all the bits with Vader, including the final sequence — Final Fantasy Peter Cushing was tasteless and bad, but at least his character had a reason to be there, and Ben Mendelsohn jockeying with him for power was a great subplot culminating in, for me, one of the most memorable effects shots of the last decade

All this is to say that, compared with Prometheus, Rogue One is Citizen Kane

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

no one ever dared to criticise the Watchmen comic's issues with representation before Lindelof made a TV series where silk spectre carries a 20-inch blue dildo around in a special suitcase

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Cubone posted:

I bet that's a great article. probably makes some salient points, etc.

it's not long

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

I guess this is where the posters watching it congregate, so how has the tokyo vice been turning out? I sort of lost track of it, I guess because of shogun and the arc with the white lady trying to get the blueprints from the architect yada yada being a bit stale

It's okay. Maybe a bit better than the first season but still dragged down by a lot of goofy acting (Ansel Elgort and whoever plays Tozawa are both mediocre in their roles, and the talent drops off steeply outside the central characters) and a utilitarian script with zero surprises. It doesn't measure up to two other bilingual shows I've watched recently, Giri/Haji and Shogun

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

looking forward to watching this tonight. I hope they're either right so I get to lord it over all the Andor haters, or wrong so I get to argue with the cretinous RLM stans who haven't had an original opinion in their lives

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

i would rather rewatch Popeye than one episode of a star wars tv show

this is the one contrary opinion on Andor I could ever respect

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lol Mike "I had to check in depth whether these two names which contain less than half the same letters are an anagram".

struggling through the entire length of an hour-long conversation to pronounce the name 'Cyril'

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 29, 2024

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the actual logistics of a galactic empire as determined by some guy getting voted as emperor on the big city planet would be too nonsensical to seriously discuss. you need some amount of public buyin if you're going to enact fascism, which you could never achieve over a thousand planets of aliens

sounding a little defensive there. what is your nationality btw

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Does anyone on SA ever talk about oney plays or is that too much of a zoomer thing. I feel like they're sort of like the boys in some ways but less far along in the brain into soup progression

never heard of it

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

their idea for making cyril switch sides is just so strange I don't know how to criticise it. 'he loves justice' did we watch the same show?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

kalel posted:

I googled oney plays and the thumbnails make me want to shove no mods no masters into a locker

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

You know how you can enjoy movies? Call real movie movies, call Disney franchises stuff movie-like and series-like. They are not real movies, they are just synthetic poo poo that takes up 80% of the market.

I don't have a problem enjoying movies

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Bottoms didn't seem that funny in the first half. But then as it went on, it kept taking a standard raunchy high school comedy and deliberately pushing it to surprising/uncomfortable points. All the stock characters who would ordinarily be revealed to be likeable/sympathetic or to have surprising depth just don't, and then it turns into this carnival of violence. Good poo poo

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Cubone posted:

dude 1999 was bullshit you literally could get arrested for sucking dick

Paradise.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

kalel posted:

what the gently caress dude

You're right. 'Paradise' is too far. But it is a necessary step toward universal celibacy.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

acting as a middleman in a purchase between two people? isn't that immoral?

Absolutely.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

"Luke Skywalker does not gently caress" seems to be a Disney mandate.

No, it's what George Lucas wrote, and it's because the Jedi Order is a celibate priesthood.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Mara Jade is just as boneheaded as Reylo fanfic

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Lister posted:

I thought a big part of the prequels is how the jedi are wrong about them not having relationships. Like it was the a big example of the jedi order's extreme rigidity. If they'd been cool with him loving, he would have never needed to start breaking rules.

Anakin did a one-man ethnic cleansing of Tusken raiders because the Jedi's rules on relationships were too strict? The prequels were silly but they weren't that silly.

Plus the wisdom of prohibiting sexual relationships was proven when Anakin's first sexual relationship was exploited by a Sith lord to blackmail him into destroying the Jedi. Every exception the Council made for Anakin — letting Qui Gon train him even though he was too old, allowing him to openly flout their authority by allying with secular power, overlooking his relationship with Padme — came back to bite the Republic in the rear end. If you think the Jedi's main problem was being too strict with Anakin, you're probably 15 years old.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They were ok with loving, they had a problem with close emotional bonds and emotional interdepency, exactly the opposite of actual monastic orders.

That's just George Lucas opining, like J.K. Rowling saying Dumbledore was gay: not supported in the text. In fact it's implicitly contradicted by the Jedi's clear separation from society at large, their attitude toward romantic attachment, their literal monk's robes, etc. If forming attachments is frowned upon, why would sex be OK? Who isn't at risk of forming attachments from sex? In what context would they even have the opportunity to have an attachment-free sexual liaison? They throw on some jeans and hit a bar when they clock out? It's almost unimaginable.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

I think people would like that to be what the prequels are saying because it makes sense to a human. But really how it goes down with anakin makes the love ban look 100% logical, merited, and correct. Attachment absolutely did make him wildly susceptible to the monster mash/graveyard smash. The jedi's problem was they didn't actually bother enforcing that rule at all. They need to be more trad if anything.

yep

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If Lucas says they gently caress then they gently caress, and the alternatives to hoes/one-night-stands are all unthinkable.

Catholic priests also gently caress, but it's against the rules. The argument is whether the Jedi Order condones loving. I really don't think so. It doesn't make sense to prohibit romantic attachment but permit loving, which is perhaps the single mostly likely thing to give rise to romantic attachment.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I know it doesn’t make sense, it doesn’t make sense and would be stupid, the Jedi are stupid and if the people knew what was good for them they woulda done order 66 hundreds of years ago.

I have this problem a lot, but I can't tell if you're coming to this conclusion from a Protestant angle or a Nazi angle

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is one of the most insane things I’ve ever seen in this thread.

There is a lot of corny writing in Oppenheimer, mostly in the congressional hearing frame narrative. Nolan obviously didn't trust the audience to understand what was going on, so he had Robert Downey Jr. be theatrically mincing and smug and secret service agent Hobie Doyle be all like 'gee mister I don't think that's what America is all about' at intervals

I still thought the movie was great but if you have a low tolerance for that kind of thing I can see why it would sour you on it overall

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Florence Pugh stopping mid-loving to make him say the “I am become death” line was so funny

oh gently caress I forgot about that

jesus christ

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

6 of the 9 Star Wars movies have been very talented people being trapped by a very incompetent script

and the other 3 were the prequels

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

sure okay posted:

someone explain to me how looking down on someone for grammar mistakes is any different than some rich snob looking down on someone at a dinner party for using the salad fork on the baked potato

idgi, do you think good writers are rich? or that you're born into the class of people who crack a book once in a while?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Zack Snyder wants a chance to "fix" Sucker Punch.

"It never really got finished correctly i have the footage already shot: they just have to let me put it together."

lmao

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Listened to the audiobook of the first "Master and Commander" and it's quite good once you get past the first 3 hours, which are entirely about the various kinds of ropes and masts and how many barrels of salt a ship needs.

actually they're about stephen being a sad sack and jack cuckolding his superior officer

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

I hope that vile piece of poo poo bombs (both for the hypernormalisation it encourages and because it's A24 trying to destroy itself by entering its blockbuster era).

yes, everything everywhere all at once was criminally dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

should i watch The Gentlemen?

The movie's fine. I just finished the show yesterday and wouldn't recommend it. I have a high tolerance for Guy Ritchie's bullshit but it was really tedious