Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOBXh02rVc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We love terrible CGI in our movies don't we folks.

edit: lol the library ghost is back jesus christ

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

colonelwest posted:

gently caress no. I made it about 30 seconds in and they’re already beating the soft-reboot nostalgia drum; like the last one didn’t count and this is the for real nostalgia bait we promise guys!

You missed out on all the terrible CGI.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

No joke, if Ghostbusters really wanted to mine people's nostalgia, go all out and have all of the effects be practical. Puppets, models, sets, stop motion, all of the stuff from the original. I'd actually be kind of interested with that particular gimmick.

I know CGI even bad CGI takes a ton of work but using it instead of practical effects just comes off as laziness on top of the laziness of all the "remember this poo poo".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The boys were correct in their Ghostbusters 2 commentary that the only way a sequel could've worked is if it was a decade or two later. GB2 was too soon and these movies are way too late especially since one of them has been dead for a decade.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I still think the best idea for a sequel is that it takes place at a Ghostbusters franchise location. The only time you see any of the old guys is Bill Murray in an anti-union video they have to watch as part of employee training.

As they also point out the first movie works because of the chemistry between the leads. The movie is them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2 is the worst one and 1 is the best sorry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I watched mission impossible 2 recently and thought 'oh wow this is a fun breezy movie, starts in-media res in a heist like normal MI movies, doesn't overexplain things, really short runtime, I wonder why it has such negative reviews?'

turns out several years back I had previously watched it partway through, abandoned it for being bad, but amazon remembered where I left off

lol that owns

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's crazy they got such big names for the Borderlands movie. It would've been bizarre at the height of its popularity but it's years late now. I didn't even know it was being made until I saw the trailer on YouTube.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

I saw uncut gems on a whim sight unseen with my mother and younger brother and it was the most stressful experience in a theatre I've ever had

The opening minutes of that movie with Sandler feel like an anxiety attack.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

tenet is back in theaters from last week till wednesday. remember tenet? chris nolan sure hopes so

I'm the one fan of TENET. Partly because I'm a sucker for him coming up with a great justification for why the bad future people are doing what they're doing. I also watched it at home with headphones so the sound issues didn't manifest for me. I don't believe for a second he spent a decade on the script or whatever he claimed because most of the criticisms of it are accurate and could've been fixed with another pass over the script.

I'm rewatching re:View and it's funny that Mike's idea for how he would've preferred The Blair Witch Project to go is pretty much the twist of The Last Broadcast.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not trolled not crying posted:

Just got back from Dunc part 2 and it was alright. At times it felt like nothing much was happening, then it felt like months have suddenly gone by and then they were speedrunning through the third act. Of course it looks and sounds massive and epic, and it's always nice to see a good scifi moopie of this scale on the big screen. I haven't read the book(s) so some of it was a little confusing to my already stupid brain but still, I enjoyed it, especially the underlying sinister vibe running through it.

The book is the same way most of the good stuff happens before Paul and his mom get stuck in the desert.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

How about a sci fi channel miniseries?

The biggest issue with DUNC before it even came out is the Sci-Fi series had already cast the perfect actor for the Baron. It didn't help that Denis's take on the Harkonnens is extremely bad and dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlVEJ3Z8UMQ

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

That's the town crier from HBO's Rome, isn't it?

It is indeed. True Roman bread for true Romans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

dunc portrayal is better op. visual design and expression of skarsgard baron evokes a mood that is closer to the themes in the novel. the haughty delusions of grandeur comes through much more elegantly in the 2021 film. in fairness the scifi series worked with what they had and I feel like the kind of portrayal denis went with lends itself better to higher production values, without which it would be too comically self-serious.

I like Skarsgard's portrayal but making them look like aliens was stupid and bad. Also saying the name wrong. If McNeice hadn't been in the Sci-Fi series he still would've been the first name that popped in my head for a Dune adaptation.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

drat, the comparison to Command & Conquer cutscenes was really spot on

Yeah it rules.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

hot take: Jodorowsky's Dune would have sucked, just an egomaniac trying to cram every dumb idea he had without restraint

Yeah it would've been terrible the documentary was funny because I had no idea he wasn't actually adapting Dune just using it as dressing for his own insane story.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

reading Dune 2 "spoilers" and don't know what most of it means, I saw the Lynch one and I feel like they stuffed the Part 2 material into the last 45min?

Correct though in the Lynch Dune he turned the Weirding Way (super martial arts) into a goofy sonic weapon because I guess Lynch didn't want to put in kung fu fighting.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 28, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kingo Ligma posted:

As opposed to how it's pronounced in the book?

Pretty much everyone else said it the other way until DUNC came out.

trilobite terror posted:

It reminded him too much of the Force and the Jedi, and it was already public knowledge that he’d turned down Lucas’ offer to work on the Star Wars sequels. By 1983/84 the industry was drowning in Star Wars knockoffs

That makes sense - not like Denis did anything interesting with it in part one which was my other complaint about the movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kingo Ligma posted:

What does this even mean????

Lynch and the miniseries?

Audio books, adaptations, general readership. There were a bunch of posts on this forum when the first trailer dropped and Brolin said it that way. What the gently caress do you mean "what does this even mean" lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Making my way through a re-watch/listen of re:View and it's still weird Jay doesn't think Freddy Got Fingered was on purpose. He seems like the one that would get that more than anyone in the crew.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last time I went to the nickelodeon was for Uncut Gems.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Buying concessions is hosed up in general.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

imagine watching a movie while munching on hot, buttery popcorn and watching it down with an ice cold fountain drink. Incredibly hosed up behavior. I cannot countenance such a thing

I don't think I've gone to the concession stand since my dad bought me something decades ago.

This trivia bit is so funny because I was a big Bloodhound Gang fan in high school so I'm yelling at my computer screen like when I'm watching Jeopardy! and there's a sports category.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

:wrong: this is the Bloodhound Gang trivia thread

I can't imagine being a Bloodhound Gang fan to the level that all the boys seems to be. Like, I know that one song, the famous one. It's not even that good.

I was pretty much the perfect age to get into them so I'd crush it at these quizzes. Bad Touch was one of their lesser songs so it's weird that was their one hit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny Out Least Viewed Episode Ever has more views than almost all of the re:Views.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is one of the most well known things about Star Wars. The Darth Maul thing is wrong though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's so good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goggins is the only promising bit they even do the cliche slowed down epic remix of a song thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Speaking of shows that are going to be bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvzhCL7vIA

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They understood fallout 4. Fallout 1 was the first game I bought with my own money. Motherfucking Disney is better at star wars than bethesda is at fallout

Yeah seeing the Brotherhood helicarrier was so funny. Don't put the poo poo from the bad games in!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It took me awhile to even tackle the other books to get to that stuff because the last bit of the first book when it revealed the aliens felt like I was getting punked. A guy who writes extraterrestrials at the level of a 50s pulp author won a Hugo.

Was also funny finding out the way it was written wasn't some artifact of translation but how the original book was written and structured.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 7, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khanstant posted:

If only we could get a sandworm as beautifully costumes as her. Also I hope we get to see someone animorph into a sandworm or trout in 3 whether or not it happens in the books at that point.

The person that turns into a sandworm isn't even born until the end of the second book/third movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sorry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LerJSJ6s-v8

So very very sorry.

Don't click on it.

I warned you.

Ray Parker Jr is rolling in his grave.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

Trailer for the 2024 Crow just dropped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSKp_pwmOA

It's interesting, but I don't see any looks in this that are anywhere near as iconic as the original.

Congress needs to forget about TikTok and make CGI squibs illegal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rageaholic posted:

Speaking of Rebel Moon, I watched that last night because We Hate Movies did a commentary track for it. Holy moly, what absolute dogshit that was!

Snyder bragged more people watched it than Barbie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

its all nice on rice posted:

DUNC 2: Bucket Fuckers was a good imax experience. Zendaya does a convincing job of looking disappointed. Those worms go hard. Wanted to see a CGI, toddler, Anya Taylor-Joy stab the Baron like in the book but that's fine. Wondering how much liver Austin Butler ate for his method acting.

Never much cared for the DUNC sand worm design. Partly because beaks look cooler (though I can imagine they might've changed it due to graboids or other properties stealing the look) partly because I saw fan art some years back where the sand worms had the look of cooled/cooling magma so they bridged the gap between organism and terrain due to their sheer mass.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's a combo I think - some of the old art had beaks with the teeth as a sort of baleen inside which is what that seems to be aping. The magma fan art I posted about has a tri-part beak with teeth inside as well.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 16, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spielberg has never given a poo poo about continuity and there's a far more glaring example earlier when there's a robot arm rotating the raptor eggs and holding the one they're watching hatch and after one cut it's rotated away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLz5Api676Y&t=24s

It even rotates back in to grab the empty shell from Grant's hands.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Hot take, Crichton was a lot like Stephen King in that he was a popular, pulpy writer where the adaptations of his work were frequently better than the original.

Also, he turned into such a loving prick with his crank opinions on global warming by the end of his life in his capacity as a guy who read articles in Scientific American and based a book off of them.

I would say King has few adaptations better than the original work - with Crichton most adaptations are better. Timeline is probably worse as a movie but the book is also a lot goofier than Crichton's seriousness suggests. State of Fear (the global warming denial book) was stupid even at the time but dear lord does it look insanely stupid now. He also put a guy who criticized that book in a later book as a microdicked pedophile.

khwarezm posted:

Curiously these animals are still around, kind of, Chimaera like ratfish are part of this subgroup in the Cartilaginous fish and the last remaining remnant of the Holocephali group that people tend to be talking about here when they talk about ultra ancient "sharks". The most famous of these is Helicoprion, which had a massive sawblade built into its face instead of normal teeth and was bigger than a Killer whale.

As with many prehistoric animals these guys looked less cool as we discovered more about them. Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus are some of the few I think ended up looking better/more interesting in the modern era (apart from the weirdos who cling to the absurd delusion that rex had feathers). Woulda been great seeing a JP with the modern Spinosaurus but with it changing every other week whatever they put in would age poorly. I guess with sharks megalodon got more interesting with it not being a carbon copy of great white anymore.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm just so tired of all these star wars.