Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Watched "Dredd" again yesterday, still as good as people say. The satire of the awful justice system almost doesn't come through though.

Watched "Godzilla -1.0" tonight. Even though people have been saying it's great, I think it was even better than I thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Everyone seemed very hyped about Oppenheimer but I haven't even bothered to watch it. I don't see the big appeal.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

dreezy posted:

we need a new new hollywood era. the studio behemoths are churning out poo poo, poised to be undercut by talented filmmakers telling compelling stories that can hopefully resonate with audiences, assuming the masses arent content-brained beyond all hope

that's A24

or is that the joke?

A24 being sold to ghouls means we're going to need a new upstart

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m more interested in their movies about unstable kid!

(It’s called the Star Wars prequel trilogy)

lol, I only watched Star Wars for the first time when I was about 18, so I don't have big nostalgia for it - but the prequels really did a number on ol' Vader's character

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Presto posted:

So did the sequels. Nice job sacrificing yourself to destroy the evil emperor! Sorry it was all meaningless!

:rubby:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I put my phone on do not disturb while at Godzilla -1.0 and the loving thing still rang right in the quietest emotional breakdown scene right in the middle. I rarely even get like one phonecall a week and I thought do not disturb silenced the ringtone anyway.

I was the bad patron.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 26, 2024

starkebn
May 18, 2004

how quickly does Spiderperson web disintegrate? After they're done slinging that goopy poo poo all over the city do you just get to spend days stepping in it while walking down the sidewalk or something?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Cubone posted:

think I'm done with cervesa cristal tbh

:regd08:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I watched DUNC 2 last night and thought it was a bunch of incomprehensible hooey. Stuff just happens with barely any through line narrative or connective tissue.

Loved the first one.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Presto posted:

My encroaching elderliness was showing again because I couldn't understand a drat thing anyone in Dune 2 was saying for like 40% of the movie.

:yeah:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

It's full of the kind of nerdery that this thread seems to love.

Are you actually from here?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I prefer the Pakistan - India border military dance off they do, but a movie competition sounds like a good idea too.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That DICK! posted:

my thinking was that michelle yeoh's been in a lot of stuff lately, mostly sci fi action things. it reminded me when kristen schaal started showing up in all the comedy shows probably because producers said hey, lets just get someone wacky,. "lets get someone wacky". i like kristen schaal and its normalized by now i feel but it was a real glut at a time. i think that's happening with michelle yeoh in a sense. but maybe not really, i'm dumb. no podcast told me this, i am suggesting no greater conspiracy, in another world this would simply be an idle observation by a fool. but thanks to that big old orange cheeto bastard, ive given my friend postnoveau cause to live in fear.

Michelle Yeoh has been in action movies her entire career

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That DICK! posted:

like, am i having to debate that michelle yeoh is in more starring roles lately? is that your dumb rear end point? cause she is. i like her. its fine.

your point seemed like "hmmm, for some reason Michelle Yeoh has been type cast into scifi action roles?" excuse me if you actually had some sort of other point

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Barudak posted:

Blade Runner 2049 kind of sucked, so I expect blade runner 2099 will fully suck

There are parts of the story I thought didn't really work, like the underground resistance subplot, but the overall result is a great film. There are aspects of the original that I don't really like too, but I still think it's amazing.

Wasn't there an animated series recently? I don't think it did very well, so yeah, it's not the setting necessarily that makes it work, it's the overall level of artistry - just like every other thing that's been filmed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

I mainly know Kristen Schaal from Flight of the Conchords.

Lol

Flight of the Conchords, 30 Rock & What We Do In The Shadows are the three big ones for me. She has such a distinctive voice and those chubby cheeks make her very noticeable.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Speaking of Andy Serkis, has anyone seen Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes? I liked the first two of the newest movies, but haven't watched the third one so don't know if it starts going downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That DICK! posted:

i mean hell, to be clear. she's great. michelle yeoh's great too. im just saying she has kristen schaaled a bit and im glad more people are coming around to this

She was the lead actor of an Oscar winning film. It's not a big mystery why she is getting more roles.