Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

41 with three grown stepkids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

Is 50k what they're making before or after they move?

It's an average of one Bay Area transplant, 10 new college grads cramming into one $10k per month house in Austin, and 150 Venezuelans.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

I'm going to give myself an extremely negative self-review at work this year, just to see if anybody's actually reading it.

I strongly advise against this. Those do get read because those self-reviews are tied to your boss's review. You can mess around and gently caress up some undeserving middle manager's life as well as your own.

You're gonna expose yourself to one or all of a few outcomes depending on the size of your company - 1. you gently caress yourself out of a raise or a bonus, 2. HR singles you out and puts you on a probation or "performance improvement plan" aka you're now a risky employee and you rocket to the top of the poo poo list, or 3. in a large organization you might get yourself ranked at or towards the bottom of your department and risk being automatically laid off by ATS or AI with no path to appeal to a human.

These are all things happening at Geico right now by the way.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kalli posted:

Yeah, SI hasn't really had a place for a long while as a magazine, but you'd think like... writers, reporters and photographers should be the kind of thing that should seamlessly transfer to the internet, but we utterly failed at it, just completely gutted journalism and entire industries instead.

It’s not the content that has killed journalism, it’s management getting MBA Brain and ripping out brand cachet and future earnings for profits this quarter. Same as just about every other business that’s not a Wall Street bank or Walmart.

With a little vision SI could have become what The Athletic is now. Or at least it could have lived a little longer until the illiterate percentage of the population hits critical mass and kills all journalism.

Edit: or as it turns out, tl;dr what Glumslinger said

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

There are good magazines that still exist now, but they rely on great photography and feature stories that don't require "scoop" mentality.

Sad thing was, that was SI once upon a time. It was The Sports Magazine. Spun off of Time. That cover used to be a highlight of a photographer’s career - get a great shot and a few days later it’s in ten million mailboxes in full color. Launched a bunch of writers’ careers too. It’s just something that doesn’t happen in mass media anymore.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

Apologies if I already made this joke, or someone else did and I'm just repeating it, but, since Brett Favre said it would be Taylor Swift's fault if the Chiefs didn't win the Superbowl, does she get her own championship ship ring if they do win?

She’s going to get one from CBS no matter who wins

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Shrimpy posted:

Kansas Swifty Chiefs

The Fightin' Swifties

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

So their view that they're underdogs against an overwhelming tide of "people ruining the country" is correct, except for you know the whole notion that respecting people's identity and bodily autonomy, trying not to roast the planet, being humane toward immigrants, and taxing the rich would ruin the country.

A lot of conservatives fear not only the country being destroyed, but that when minorities get the reins of power the current dynamic will just reverse and whites will be either repressed or straight-up ethnically cleansed.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Stephen Bochco sighting there. Strange seeing his name on something that's not a police procedural.

And yeah NBC in the late 70s flailed hard. They had SNL and that was about it. They lost a bunch of affiliates to ABC and then when the US pulled out of the 1980 Olympics they nearly went under. They got saved when they pulled in a bunch of folks from Mary Tyler Moore's studio, including Stephen Bochco.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 30, 2024

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

And even as famous as Swift is now, and I believe she's the most famous person under God's sky right now, she's not going to get close to the likes of MJ or Elvis. Just not possible without the monoculture they thrived in, and even less possible than that as politicized as everything is now.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Pain of Mind posted:

When you are 14 and making a crappy punk band and your mom forces you to let your little brother join and he can only play a trumpet.

I'm pretty sure that's how Lou Bega came to be, so we definitely don't want that again

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Now that Bluesky is open to filthy casuals I created an account. Don't know what to do from here.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Braksgirl posted:

No, they're not. The high heat is bad for them and I have found that the pans don't last as long if you machine wash them.

Seconding that. I burned through a decent set of Calphalon cookware doing that. I handwash the hard anodized set I replaced it with using a scrubbing dish rag and Dawn, and that works a lot better. The pans themselves are alright, we mostly just use the pots, and for the pans we've reverted back to cast iron.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Happy Lunar New Year! I’m celebrating today by sitting in Discount Tire about to come up off $1500 for new tires for the truck. Old ones started separating. Maybe pho later before starting to prep for the Super Bowl.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 10, 2024

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Nervous posted:

A Constantinople presence in your mind?

It's Instanbul...

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My wife and I are watching Queen of the South on Netflix and they seem to do this too. They talk in Spanish with subtitles at times, other times they switch to all English. No consistency however and apparently this was a USA show at one point so it might not even be a Netflix standard thing.

I don't recommend it personally. This is clearly a show written for three seasons that got two extra seasons and you can tell the writers had to pull a story out of their asses.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

harperdc posted:

My gut says you’ll get people to pay that once - if they see it’s a huge markup, they’ll likely avoid that chain in the future.

MBA Brain says that once is all you need. Losing goodwill with your customers after that is a problem for another quarter.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I got a Haier (cosplaying as GE) bottom drawer French door fridge last year. All the water internals are inside the fridge so no cold parts exposed to warm. Solid fridge so far.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wow Mitch McConnell stepping down. Thought for sure he’d die in office.

Wonder what psycho is gonna replace him

The Republican whip and thus most likely person is John Thune of South Dakota. Garden variety shithead, a bad copy of Mitt Romney. He weakly called for Trump to let the election go after January 6th so he currently fails the MAGA purity test.

If Thune is a no, then it could be John Barasso of Wyoming or Rick Scott of Florida. All three are the same person in different suits.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

300 mile range is poo poo for shipping. I have a daily trip we call the Portland trip because it comes from Portland, but it actually starts in SLC.

300 mile range will be plenty for the medium duty guys - like school buses and delivery vans - and even day cabs. Two big questions though - can it recharge enough overnight to be serviceable the next day, and what's the battery's lifespan and replacement cost versus buying a replacement ICE truck?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

swickles posted:

Its been 30 years since British tabloids feasted on Princess Di and they are getting hungry for blood again.

Is it really feasting when the royal family constantly chums the water?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

As if there aren't 800,000 of those sites

Greg Abbott forgot one truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8N0MdaALQ&t=1524s

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Throw in a provision to ban Teemu and you've got my vote brandon

Just outlaw dropshipping altogether

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

If he is dead, then it confirms my theory that when he said he was going to treat his cancer with poultices and leeches or whatever, he’d been told it was terminal.

The rumor is being pushed by Russian Twitter bots. There’s nothing to gain from suppressing the news. There’s a line of succession and it’s not like the royal family has actual power.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 18, 2024

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wife and I watched Poor Things this evening. Had its moments and Emma Stone did a great job, but could not get past the graphic sex scenes involving a woman with developmental issues due to having a baby brain which for me rang some consent alarm bells . Plus well deserved Oscar for turning one of the most beautiful women in America into a zombie.

Two and a half stars.

kiimo posted:

strong opinions on the Houston Texans uniform redesign

Speaking of gross things…

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 19, 2024

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

For car buying I'll just throw in that you can avoid all that negotiation bullshit by using one of the online companies like carvana... but don't, at least until those companies get a lot better at "not selling cars that they don't actually own because they never got the title" and "registering your car in a timely manner".

Never make a major purchase sight unseen.

Beyond that, Carvana also sells cars in practically any state of repair and may or may not inspect or repair the cars that do come through their facility. They're owned by the same shady guy that owns Drivetime, another large shady used car company that preys on poor people with lovely cars and subprime loans.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Your Toyota likely is fine with non-synthetic or with a blend because that's how they build their engines.

Any Toyota before 2009 came from the factory with conventional oil. After that, refer to the manual I guess.

And then there's stuff like my 18 Camry that takes 0w16, so I'm stuck with full synthetic. No dino juice came that thin. And these new Crowns and Corollas take 0w8 which seems like a violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Has anyone used that Brave browser? Is that a viable alternative?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kalli posted:

She got spayed last week, was supposed to be in the cone for 10 days, but beat the hell out of it and turned it into a floppy collar and proceeded to... not care about her incision at all and just wanted to clean her fur, so after 5 days we've just taken the cone off and have been watching her.

I took my new boys last month for neutering and those little bastards sprang their e-collars off the day after. At least I had all weekend to watch them and they left their stitches alone, but that was kinda touch and go that weekend.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I lol'd recently at an Amazon recruiter that tried to get me to apply to a PM position for a set of warehouses in Germany, Poland, and Czechia. Requires EU citizenship.

Sure Hamit, I mean as an American whose only German vocabulary is Rammstein lyrics and the only Czech I know is from casting couch videos, let me get on that

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Ty for tolerating me over the years friends

You're not going anywhere are you?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMOlos4kVg

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Biden just called for a ceasefire.

He also announced Ukraine’s going to join NATO so he might just be having a bad dementia day

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I’m dead on the center line for this eclipse. Hopefully the weather stays partly cloudy.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Gonna replay the Modern Warfare 2 campaign in solidarity with Ukraine :911:

https://youtu.be/8mwAntNGz9k?si=kZokyx3sQi7j6m_Y

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The clouds held back. That was a loving amazing eclipse.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Might not be protesting anything at all. Could be a very public suicide attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I see that TikTok ban doesn’t take effect until January 19th. Plenty of time to rescind that ban in court and not have TikTok-less teenagers becoming single issue Trump voters.