Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Deathany(*from "On The Fastrack") is just goth. She also supposedly has a bunch of tattoos and piercings(that are never drawn).

She is a goth character written by someone who doesn't really know the culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So you're only allow to kill and eat people you don't know?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is why most comics with talking animals avoid the logistics of how a world with sentient animals would work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Don't worry, another one will come around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

:
The Phantom

It..it's over. :aaa:

....oh for gently caress's sake!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So they helped a dangerous criminal avoid justice because it server their financial interests. Somehow they're still the good guys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Having established that his characters lives in segregated neighborhoods it's time to imply that a literal lynch mob can show up at any time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Noor

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

Are these her children? My apologies, but it's been a while since I've seen Noor posted.

Her sisters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know that Hagar the Horrible is "it's actually just 20th century american poo poo but in viking outfits" the comic, but it's still loving wild that they're just depicting vikings happily sitting in a loving church.

In 965 the viking king Harald Bluetooth raised the so called Jelling stones where he got inscribed that he made the danes christians. So not as wild as you might think.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's not how chameleons work. They don't change color to camoflauge themselves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I knew they eventually converted to Christianity, but I understood it happened like in Finland -- with a lot of bloodshed and resistance. But I didn't know it happened that early. Thanks for educating me!

It depends on the country. Denmark became christian pretty early and mostly wihtout violence. Norway and Sweden became christian later (the swedes held on to paganism the longest) and violence was used in both countries to get rid of the paganism. The rus vikings was the first to convert to christianity and there wss no use of violence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

Have we ever seen that? That could be interesting. Much more interesting than writing out old storylines from the '50s and going "wasn't that a thing that doesn't hold up in the modern day?" while gurning at the 4th wall.

We have seen that. Both in comic strips and a "remake" in the scandinavian Phantom magazine. It's basically a revenge story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Then why not allow other electric vehicles? Or maybe install some ventilation?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s a consistent world developing now.

It's kinda funny how Smith never did explain how an apparently modern society like Boneville coexists with a medieval society complete with dragons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's gotta be a point where he realizes that he has created a racist, isolated community that execute people without trial and then mutilate their corpses.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

I honestly like that his Red Sonja character is based on the Howard the Duck version.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ardeem posted:

A lot of the the lizard people conspiracy theories floating around the internet are just antisemitism with a hasty find->replace.

Almost every conspiracy theory sooner or later boils down to "the jews did it," even the flat earth theory.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is pretty much the equivalent of giving Ted Bundy a designated place in Florida where he can roam freely.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I don't think any comic encompasses wasted potential and talent as much as the Phantom. Always competent art when a guest artist isn't phoning it in, has hung on for nearly a century despite being the textbook definition of a generic pulp hero, takes its own ironclad lore seriously, clearly overthinks the writing of the plot to the point of grave fault.

And for what? Possibly the worst pacing in the entire medium, an action serial that avoids action religiously, lore in service of the most ridiculously tame and subdued "man of danger" imaginable who will spend literal decades avoiding meaningful change and now months of The Phantom, an alter ego, sucking off his imaginary alter ego for the sake of impressing his extrajudicial private army with the knowledge that that's right, he reads philosophy!!! How worldly, there's a globe and vintage nautical maps on his wall! My God, we are in service of a man who rivals the mightiest college seniors!

I just can't believe how impossibly dense and opposed to being entertaining this legacy IP is. How many people have labored in service of preserving the legacy? Has it ever been good? We all liked it when Sarvana was headlining but poo poo, that just goes to show how suffocating Phantom usually is, that somebody with a pulse and the willingness to shoot some guns is easily the best character you can see in the strip for years.

... Yeah, this Sunday strip framed something I've thought passively for years. For Gods sake, surely there has to be something to this character to not let him die off back in the 30s? We get 90 years of the Phantom but we can't find the Scarlet O'Neil reboot in any stores? :v:

One of the writers of the scandinavian version of the Phantom, Eirik Ildahl, felt the same way. He thought the character was a boring racist and that he was selling his soul a bit writing the character.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doomykins posted:

[quote="Doomykins" post="538286780"]
Tragic. What did Lee Falk have on everyone to push this guy so much? Were the first few years of the Phantom red-hot? And I wonder if he has a different market overseas, like how Disney comics and Donald Duck(and his superhero identities most Americans couldn't name) are bigger in Europe.

Fun fact: The nais banned importing new Phantom strips during the occupation of Norway because they didn't want to "aid the enemy". This lead to norwegians risking their lives smuggling new strips into the country and the newspaper making them look old so that they could print them.

quote:

Edit: Googling a bit it seems Phantom quality rises dramatically in different formats like comic books. We're reading the worst version that lets the author drag things out, most likely.

You're definitely reading the version with the least amount of nudity:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Reminds me of the joke that Storm's real mutant power is that she always have one extra knife.
Honestly, these rabbits just becomes more and more racist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Noor

Fun fact: In Norway we have a term for people who are overly sensitive to getting their hair combed and brushed, it's "hair-sensitive".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

Translation question just because I'm curious. Was this originally the English "Mister" or the Italian equivalent.
It was originally the english "Mister".

quote:

Also thanks for the work you put into these, women's pro soccer is a fun change of pace from the usual comic strip subjects.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Selachian posted:

I assume Mr. X is a reference to the MX missile, which was pretty controversial in the early 80s.

It might also be because the MX program, in the way of most Pentagon weapons programs, kept getting more and more expensive and complicated as it went on.

I think you're reading way too much into this;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_X

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Good Listener posted:

Can't wait to see what lame stuff happens in this year's Easter Bunny storyline.

I'm just thankful that there's a pause from the fascist rabbit ethnostate plot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

For a little while classic Garfield was being posted in one of these threads. There really was a difference. We weren't all idiots when we were kids!

Oh, I assure you, all kids are idiots.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like bit of a health hazard that you can program the conveyor cables to choke someone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, we did.

But you can see that it has the date 2024-03-24 on it so it was supposed to run this week. Here's the one that was supposed to run last week:

There actually is a story about this:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here's the thing about the Phantom, his family has some connection to Malta. He became a member of the Order of St, John and actually fought in the siege of Malta;

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

For the benefit of Americans who still might not have surprise eggs, they are chocolate eggs with a small toy or some other little surprise inside.

Also, if you put water and baking powder in them they loving explode.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad this little sequence survived.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They're still bigger than a lion cub...so have fun with that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The Phantom, looting archaeological sites because he thought a skull looked cool. Also, why is he trolling Worubu exactly?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

"But you said you built this thing!"
"Yeah. I poured the concrete."

"You said you you understood theoretical physics!"
"I said I had a theoretical degree in physics."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

[
The Phantom

The Queen That Remembers Her Bikini Wax.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kinda weird how he's okay with his wife eating fellow herbivores.