Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Here's to another 5000 pages of milk derails.

Actually does milk ruin a magnet? It's mostly water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I know it's a couple pages back now but is the mother in law also going to be buried in the corner of a golf course as a tax cheat or does she not even rate that highly?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't it turn out a bunch of secret service people were like full-throated Trump cultists?

There was a story a while back that I'm not gonna bother to track back down, but yeah apparently Biden only picked agents he had a relationship with from when he was VP for his personal squad because there were enough chud Secret Service agents floating around

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
The animal control thing for furries is just outrage bait because local R officials reflect the base's priority, making the shitlibs upset. Except in Florida where they don't get the joke and actually keep passing stuff and having to push the limits further and further.

The E Jean Carrol questioning stuff is pretty clearly because Trump wants his lawyers to try to relitigate the case he's already lost. It all reads like they are treating it like an appeal instead of finding further damages which I guess I can at least understand unlike most of his dumb publicity stunts in court.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Sorry if this has been posted already but holy poo poo lol

Lazyfire posted:

There's a chance that his campaign finances were just so busted he couldn't continue on. His strategy of having the Super PAC be the main support structure using unlimited dark money and the actual campaign being relatively small and low cost was the same strategy JEB! used and was part of the reason he didn't make it too far in 2016. The only way that sort of plan would function is if you break the law on not coordinating with the Super PAC or get momentum in early states so you can turn those wins into donations from the usual sources looking to get in good with the eventual nominee.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he basically had to do it that way since FL law prevented him from running for President right after Governor because reasons. He skipped around it by never doing a formal declaration that he was running despite appearing on one miserably failed ballot at least. If I'm not having my own Trump brain moment here I wouldn't be shocked if the lols continue and he eats a lawsuit on finance/campaign stuff as a cherry on top.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Mr. Nice! posted:

How many tens of millions to hundreds of millions were wasted on jeb and desantis?

Opensecrets has Jeb! at another 150 mil so that's 300 MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS give or take between tweedle dee and tweedle dipshit

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
If elected, I promise to only be a dedicated server mod for a day. I will ban all the hackers and give their Vintage Towering Pillars of Hats to real god (me!) fearing patriots.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Honestly incredible that the GOP couldn't find a single candidate that could get more than 20% of the vote against this level of mental acuity.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Yeah I've been in tech now for the last three years and if there are any MAGA morons, they are smart enough to not talk about it. I'm also the only white person on my current team of five and my previous team was also from all over the world so I'm probably not the best anecdotal evidence.

I went back to finish college around 2015-18 at a public university in a red state, there was a pretty high percentage of self identified libertarians in my classes but again, I only ever had one express outright chud views. Most of them were just kids with unexamined world views from their parents who didn't want to pay taxes on their future computer toucher incomes. I only had one incidence of chud behavior happen, at the time everyone sort of froze up like a deer in the headlights when some new guy on a project started telling his ~hilarious~ transphobe stories because they are all conflict averse nerds, but once they regrouped he was very firmly and politely told to not bother coming back

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Is this in addition to what was already in the reserve whatsit or just how much he's getting out of it?

Either way :lol:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There are, very likely, some very difficult challenges in polling this early in the election with an electorate that is this partisan, even intra-partisan within a party. And every election since 2020 has shown weakness in the GOP's position rather than strength. But I get more than a little motivated-reasoning-vibe from the immediate dismissal of polls when they look good for Trump, particularly when I don't see the same being applied to polls that look good for Biden.

There are a lot of bullshit pollsters that sprung up in 2022. GOP Operatives smartly realized that most people were looking to aggregator sites like 538 and RealClearPolitics so they started spewing out shoddy polls that they could use to build a narrative off of. It's one of the many reasons that the ~red wave~ of the midterms turned out to be a wet fart.

Doing it legit and non-maliciously is also hard and only getting harder as others have pointed out. You end up in positions where you have to weight low response groups super heavily and have nothing to really base if off of, which is how you get stuff like 30% of zoomers like your favorite president (TRUMP!!!). If it cut both ways right now I'd say so but its a lot of practical and partisan challenges all tipping it one direction.

As for how off they are, we won't know until after elections happen and the only way to calibrate them is to look at how off the last cycle was.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I clicked through to the X (the everything app!) post that was posted here and it says the state polls were done by Morning Consult, which I believe is a legitimate polling firm.

Morning Consult is legit*

but still subject to a lot of the structural response and weighting problems. I haven't bothered to check in this cycle in detail but even previously great pollsters have been stumbling to one degree or another.

e: to expand on this a little, the oldest Zoomers are in their early to mid 20s. This is going to be the first or second presidential cycle for the cohort so there's not really a sound history to calibrate from. You have to do a lot of guesswork and previous conventional wisdom about turnout and partisanship is changing.

ragnarokette fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2024

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Lord Packinham posted:

I dunno about the doomering as the election is about the handful of battleground states and many GOP parties are going bankrupt in them, MI is basically blue now and unless trump can get more electoral votes from some other state I don’t see how he can get enough to win.

I guess there is always a chance that something goes wrong but I don’t see it happening. TRUMP can’t even sell out his big rallies anymore, I usually agree with the idea of not dismissing polls but the midterms showed polling very off with trump and maga having wayyy less impact than people thought.

E: Hunter’s hogs!

yeah many goons ITT are also failing to account for the fact that state level parties are verging on bankrupt and all but admitting they can't win a fair election. Like Mississippi is trying to ban ballot measures that protect abortion access because they don't think they can win that fairly. It's loving Mississippi!

Never say it's a done deal though because poo poo changes and at the end of the day we are effectively staking hopes on the health of an elderly man in the highest stress job we've eve been able to dream up.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Aramis posted:

I'd imagine that Biden being incapacitated and replaced with a younger candidate is seen as likely, and since his age seems to be the main line of attack the GOP is going for, it makes a modicum of sense.

The 53/49 spread having overlap is what weirds me out, shouldn't that get almost immediately traded into a non-overlapping state? Maybe I just don't get predictive markets...

Because it's not a bunch of rational actors making maximally informed decisions, it's just a vibes check from gambling and politics addicts

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm glad that the underlying problems with polling and the lack of proper context for poll respondents that made polls laughably inexcusable yesterday have all been resolved

but this one says your favorite president (trump!) is in the gutter with the piss tape so therefore it must be sound and good

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Celexi posted:

bloomberg doesn't own the app that most americans have installed

yeah he owns these things called newspapers and cable channels which are sort of like apps for people who actually turn out to vote

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

dochermes posted:

You're in to be real disappointed by the new generation. Microplastics tangling in the brain tissue, believing TikTok, don't expect a new Golden Age

Sometimes I wonder what we would be like as a species if we could just go a single generation without some kind of new and interesting self inflicted generational damage and decent nutrition.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

RocketRaygun posted:

I mean, Steve Bannon ran off with the "Build the Wall" money. Just stealing from the rubes is not uncommon for this crowd.

He also ate a wire fraud charge for it, which lol

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

redshirt posted:

Is not the very core of MAGA, the beating heart of the hate and delusion, the small business owner? The roofer, the trucker, the electrician with 2 employees? The Self Made Man who needs no one and hates taxes (and other things)?

This Hunter S Thompson quote is something I keep coming back to for this exact reason

Hunter S Thompson posted:

This maybe the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it—that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Hello I am Nikki Haley and I'm here to announce I'm such a sack of poo poo that I am effectively a poo poo Midas and everything I touch turns to poo?

Seriously though imagine what a loving failure you have to be to lose to someone who just got found liable for sexual abuse and fraud with felonies incoming.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

Tuberville can't tell you what entity of American government he is currently a part of, or how it functions

Holy poo poo, how are him and Vance able to run so far off the rails and be this insane? I thought the GOP Senate was locked down by Mitch's Vecna like grip.

The joke here is that Mitch has always been a mediocre leader who's basically indistinguishable from your neighborhood hustler that knows how to capitalize on a lucky break

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

You know, it hadn't occurred to me that Mitch just doesn't have the skills to pay the bills when it comes to these particular loud morons

He's only had coward morons before, and these dipshits are personally empowered by dipshit Mcfuckface himself

He's a great fundraiser and that's why he's had the position he's had for so long, but the total failure to repeal the ACA in 16-17 with a trifecta should have been the nail in the coffin on his ability to lead.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Interested to see what the final vote counts will be at whenever things are fully counted tomorrow. The last I heard was protest organizers were hoping for like 10k votes because of 2016 margins even though 2020 was like a 150k vote margin so they've both already smashed their goals but have a ways to go before alarm bells really start to go off.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Oscar Wild posted:

Trump is r president

no no Trump was r president, Brandon is d president

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Scags McDouglas posted:

That 29% is a hard floor, diamond plated, that could never be cracked with the finest of drills. Trump will carry that 29% base with him to his grave and, I would argue, they could be buried with him like King Tut.

Honestly would be a vast improvement on the body politic if they were

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Rescue Toaster posted:

I wonder at what point his defense can just be that nobody believes him anyway so she can't prove damages.

We seem to have some holes in our legal system with defamation around people who either A) Have no money or B) Have effectively infinite money vastly in excess of any provable damages.

I used to agree with the US generally needing stronger defamation laws to deal with poo poo like this and Elon calling random people pedos just because they do a job instead of his dumb loving toys. The flipside though is that in places like Britain where they have really strong defamation law, the rich weaponize it to silence anyone critical of them. There was a case not that long ago where a trans person had to apologize to J.K. Rowling for calling her transphobic or risk a legal battle that they would almost certainly lose.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Stoatbringer posted:

Imagine being so insecure you have to have “President” and “45” embroidered on everything you wear all the time.

even worse, he has 47 on there because he's a Power of Positive thinking guy and in his mind it's already won I guess. Honestly I think that also explains all the childish loser behavior too. If that's one of like ten books he's ever read and it's a big chunk of his world view in his formative years then I'm guessing the temper tantrums are a result of Losing Even Though He Believed Real Hard.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Post ITT every time you LOL that Trump is so broke the state of NY repossessed his name.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
WaPo rated this lie 4 out of 4 Joe Rogan nips

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Black88GTA posted:

I kind of wonder how many people are turned off of sporadic / onetime donations for this exact reason. It's like feeding the seagulls. Ignore them, they eventually go away, or maintain a low level "got a cracker for me? no? ok cool, gobbless" and move on, but you give them one cracker, one time, and they're up your rear end 24/7 for the rest of your life "GIMME A CRACKER MOTHERFUCKER I KNOW YOU GOT ONE IN THERE WHY DO YOU HATE THE SEAGULLS YOU CHEAP PIECE OF poo poo" it's like...dude my $25 one time donation is not loving worth a lifetime of daily political spam, sorry

This is from like ten pages ago so sorry but there's actually a reason that they spam so hard. Basically donation numbers bear out that the more you bug your most enfranchised parts of your base, the more likely they are to donate and even eventually max out. In practice it's basically the same thing as the way video games tend to milk whales.

If you are one of the dozen people ITT who chipped in 25 dollars or whatever but got so annoyed you wont donate anymore, there's no real attribution or logging of people you've run off so it never registers on a spreadsheet for some Metrics Pervert to point out. It's basically a self fulfilling prophecy at this point, bother the people who respond more and more because It Works and conveniently ignore opportunity costs you can't quantify.

Also if you ask to be taken off the list it sucks for like a badrillion reasons. First off you are assuming the poor dumbass phone banking even knows how. If you've used Votebuilder as a volunteer phone banker you know it's kinda clunky. Now imagine your 70 year aunt trying to call people and do basic data entry in it. Also campaigns can and do trade lists of contact info around to each other so sometimes you might actually get removed from the list only be added back in later when Senator John Q Chucklefuck imports his brand new list of people who responded to a call in 2018.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

madmatt112 posted:

I kinda get the feeling that a good chunk of the establishment Democratic structure finally realizes that regardless of any politics, Trump and his ilk represent a clear and imminent threat to their country’s stability - and they’re taking the threat much more seriously this time around. Maybe that’s wishful thinking and they’re simply following the polling and focus groups as they are wont to do, but it smells different these days. It doesn’t feel like the libs are treating this like a rousing game of political jousting.

Pretty much. There are still some holdouts who are haunted by Reagan's ghost and want to act like its the 90s but they are a small and shrinking minority. Campaigns are figuring out that it's ok to be aggressive when the opposition has managed to replace empty suits with vapid, detestable empty suits. That said I don't think it's carried over into messaging on a lot of the big progressive causes yet. Those are mostly underwater on name recognition but the actual proposals poll well so I'm hoping someone starts to figure it out.

Also I legit thought that Guilfoyle(?) picture was a photoshop at first. I've been bamboozled too many times by this thread :argh:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I don’t know. Clinton ran on the whole “look at what a monster this man is, your kids are watching don’t gently caress this up” thing and it didn’t work, but I chalk that up to Dems in swing states not turning out for that election because they just had 8 years of Obama and incumbent parties just…don’t usually turn out. Also swing voters, whose number one reason for voting is usually “to give the other party a chance.”

I do think things will be different this time, but how and how much is…up in the air still? Either way, at least they look like they’re taking it seriously, which is a relief.

For the record I was referring to Bill here, not Hillary. Sorry for all the posting that happened overnight. If you understand 90s campaign staff mindset a lot of weird decisions start to make sense.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They touched the hot stove in Dobbs. I guess they honestly thought it’d be celebrated and electorally rewarded. :lmao:

Now it’s Operation: Save the Republican Party. Too little, too late in my opinion, but we’ll see.

Yeah, I also wonder if they want to give Kacsmaryk a polite rebuke because they are worried about having a bunch of judicial reforms jammed down their throats. Marbury v Madison was a mistake.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Philthy posted:

I heard Obamna voted in 2020.

Looking into this

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Infinitum posted:

The full pics are even funnier.

Tiny desk in a room not designed for it.

Man they really ran out of acts for Tiny Desk Concert didn't they?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Ghostlight posted:

if you squint the chandelier looks a bit like a gold ring

patiently waiting for someone to shop this

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

lol thank you for this gift, I almost missed it

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
the correct response to "based" btw is asking if it's a flared based

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

e: also isnt the previous FL governor, Rick Scott (Scott Rick??) in charge of another R Dark Money pile(one that Tortoise made) and currently burning through it himself?

Rick Scott actually set it all on fire two years ago yes

Every level of the GOP is borderline broke. Mike Johnson raised ~a third of what McCarty did in his first quarter as Speaker and a big chunk of that was transfers from other R members of the house. State parties are going broke because whatever small dollar volunteers Trump doesn't hoover up he's exhausted. In fact his presidential is effectively double dipping on any money the RNC raises. The Trump campaign, the Trump PAC and then the RNC are the priority order on RNC donations which is a huge lol.

I think its an open question how much outside PACs will throw at him this cycle but I'm guessing its won't actually be that much. From their position they are throwing good money after bad just to catch him up to the start line after all his legal fees and there's the nonzero chance he might just be in jail on election day anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

kazil posted:

He has not been to Michigan Pennsylvania or Ohio

Did he have something scheduled for last Wednesday and had to cancel last minute because of the gag order hearing? I might be having a brain fart, much like "TRUMP" farts in court.