Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Congrats Michigan!

https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1052178368072945668?t=O5jjoqzJGcbwgxb_57w-vg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao at getting hit with bag man penalties at a time when it is legal to pay players

I mean, it's the same school that has no idea what they actually agreed to when signing billion dollar contracts with the ACC.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not fighting. It’s hilarious that FSU got busted when ‘crime’ is legal in the game.

FSU manages to get arrested during The Purge.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU NIL people say Alabama functionally doesnt have one, and retained talent almost solely on the back of Saban coaching chops and putting them into the NFL.

Daboer the fall could be really fast if portal moves are any indication

I think I will trust Alabama over FSU when it comes to NIL stuff. I think they are fine.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I would have bet the Cowboys

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Harbaugh wasn't fired either. He had beef with the front office, and they struggled for power, so he just left for Michigan. Him going to college was the big shock, because he easily could have stayed in the NFL.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

post hole digger posted:

as a niners fan who was very upset about harbaugh leaving, it was announced by york as a 'mutual parting' but he was absolutely fired.

Right, but he wasn't "fired" for being a bad coach, he was fired for the power struggle. When you look at the 49ers after he left its pretty clear who was right.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

predicto posted:

If you are talking George Mason, there is also a huge amount of money from far-right billionaires and foundations financing that growth.

Show me a school with prisitine funding, please.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I absolutely do not want to be on FSU's side here, but confidentiality agreements of this sort just set off alarm bells in my head. WTF are you hiding here? Why do you need to hide it? If it gets out how does it hurt you? Why would you be worried about it hurting you if there was no wrongdoing?

Same, also saying the loving Board of Trustees can't know the details of the contract of a public institution seems like it would violate all sorts of laws.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I’m still just giggling over here thinking about Florida vacating a total of like 12-14 Napier wins over three years.

Apparently Sasse hasn't been on campus since April, so lol if this is the first he is hearing about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I’m still just giggling over here thinking about Florida vacating a total of like 12-14 Napier wins over three years.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1748477936439611694?t=MRcbCnn8nTxTmiJTw0VzOA&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

We know what UF did was wrong and stupid. FSU fans think FSU is the smartest most precious baby and its the Anti-FSU Tard Brigade out to get them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is extremely weird

Is there a way to mesh triple option and air raid together

RIP Mike Leach

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Saban already down here in Jupiter living the life

Where's he hanging out?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is maybe the worst idea ive ever heard. Belicheck would be an awful college coach, dude does not play nice with folks there is no way he'd mesh with ego inflated selfish teens and young adults. The recruiting would drive him insane I bet. I think there are dudes that could go down to college and do it well (John Harbaugh, I bet Tomlin could crush it), but not Belicheck.

Tomlin would crush it as a college coach for sure, but I think the constant recruitment is what really prevents that direction since salaries are about equal at the top ends of each.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

When NFL players do it its called "meeting contract incentives" but when he does it its "illegal gambling." I thought this was America.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think the implication is that he has a lot still in the account.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Or well he did. I am sure the good people at [ONLINE SPORTS GAMBLING SITE].com took that money and locked out the account for terms of use violations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

While it owns that athletes are rightfully getting paid, it was funny reading about the states of some of the buildings on campus

This version of college athletics was completely preventable as early as like five years ago, although maybe you need like a good 15 to really solidify it. The NIL thing was a direct response to college athletics (specifically football and basketball, but more so football) not being "amateur" anymore. Coaching salaries are now commensurate with NFL HC salaries, and probably more given the various perks and bonuses from the God-adjacent like worship by the fans. The whole idea was that NCAA was a professional league in every aspect except for the players getting paid. The end result of that was to open up NIL and the transfer portal. I think if the NCAA (or really state legislatures and BoT/G's of various schools) started addressing coaching salaries 10 or so years ago, and if the NCAA wasn't so heavy handed on things like the transfer portal and arcane eligibility rules, you would see a version of college sports that most people would like to see. I think the mistake was rolling forward into full on professional sports and not trying to rollback into amateurism (obviously with improvements to the student side of things like aforementioned transfer rules and such).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Is this good

He is a top tier S&C coach which is probably good. S&C coaches are infinitely more valuable at the college level due to their ability to recruit and are not bound by the same hour restrictions with players as other coaching staff. Its a bigger loss to Michigan than it is a gain to the Chargers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, and I am.ok not counting him, Aaron Hernandez has a Super Bowl touchdown which isn't counted on there. Are they only counting graduates or something?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bring back the Fulmer Cup but for NIL violations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea its real dumb. Finished school is what they are going by, which is so loaded and dumb.

Ok its not graduates either, Florida has Emmitt Smith who left early. This is dumb.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Everyone in south Florida says “95”

Yeah, 95 or the Turnpike. It gets confusing in Miami though when people use the numbers and names interchangably, and rarely both. "Take the Dolphin to 826", or " The Palmetto is closed, so take the turnpike to 836". To add another layer of fun, 2 or 3 of the most popular radio stations give the traffic reports in spanglish. Like you have to know both english and spanish to get the full report.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

A 6'5", 298 lineman hitting a 4.78 is just nuts.

Kenneth Grant, the Michigan DT that chased down an RB to prevent a touchdown last year, apparently has run a 4.95 at 6'3", 339. Freak poo poo.

There is obviously a big difference between running that and running in pads, but I have always wondered if some people and some positions (body types) have different degrees of difference. Like do WRs drop by 10% while DL only drops by 5% or whatever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, the school was so small that now 1/3 the student body is on the baseball team.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

What the actual gently caress Aggies

https://twitter.com/notbigracks/status/1765046023745945730?t=Z_46k_IES1UbLuOwJBmPoA&s=19

Ban their asses to Div 2, or just straight up death penalty.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Bama ending college football at the end of Saban’s regime was entirely predictable. Poetic even.

“Actually, college football is immoral and illegal”

If there was one issue to get the state of Alabama to go blue its the Republicans axing college football. Hell, you may see a full blown insurrection if that happened.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

harperdc posted:

the center cannot hold, etc. etc.

Can't hold, can't snap, when will Bama catch a break?!?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

Architectural boat tour (cue goon legend DMB story here)
Field history and Museum of science & industry are world class, as is the Art institute

Come to the chicago thread too for food, there's so many great options that it's overwhelming. One nice thing is that Chicago has quality at all price points.

Wait, a goon was involved in the DMB poo poo dumping incident?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

They should change the format every year and make it its own thing, like the Selection Sunday show. Just make it Calvinball.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Rather than decide on a "permanent" conference schedule as had been planned for after this coming season, the SEC is making 2025 another ad hoc schedule without a set plan in place.

tl;dr: 8 games, same schedule as 2024 but opposite venues. Gonna do whatever I can to go to Knoxville in '25.

Dunno if one should read too much into this:

Oh cool so Florida always gonna be #1 in SoS.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Looked like a catch to me.

Also the Travis Stephens game made up for that.

03 or 04 when the clock operater gave Tennessee as long as they wanted with less than a minute left on the gameclock. Motherfucker let 3 game minutes pass in "10 seconds".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Honest question, is there something prohibiting them from using the Bears stadium for a few years? That seems like such an obvious solution.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No, I want my weird shirts and giant rear end signs that look like the Zodiac Killer designed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh yeah, Abdul Carter beat up a tow truck driver

:negative:

Tow truck driver is one profession where I automatically side with the other guy until we get more details