Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thermos H Christ posted:

So do we think Arch hops in the portal or trusts that Quinn will get hurt as usual?

I think he’ll stay. Nobody should be surprised by Evers staying. Wasn’t it heavily hinted at before the playoffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane may be having their best offseason ever. Jon Sumrall owns.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wild they have two G5s. I wish that could happen.

Also, Tulane is winning the AAC next season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wondering how much commentary they are recording for the new NCAA game. It'd be awesome if they'd mention things like players making first team all sun belt in the previous season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 17, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Truther Vandross posted:

These schools are eventually going to establish separate for-profit subsidiaries for football to get around Title IX and academics where the program is basically just leasing out space for practice and games from the university. They'll keep the college brands but it'll otherwise having nothing to do with traditional college athletics.

After this happens, one day a college football player will be traded.

pillsburysoldier posted:

The further blackpilling on cfb fandom because transfer/NIL rules on Alabama being pantsed funny.

Current transfer/NIL rules are great and allow Tulane to be competitive.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 18, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

predicto posted:

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

"Now, 58 percent of undergraduates come from outside Alabama, paying more than $30,000 in tuition to learn, tailgate, and go to fraternity parties at a school they may not have considered if Saban hadn’t drastically bolstered its public standing."
"The truism holds at Alabama, though, as evidenced by the continued growth of the enrollment boom. In 2013, the university’s chancellor told 60 Minutes, 'Nick Saban is the best financial investment this university has ever made.'"

https://www.theringer.com/college-football/2024/1/12/24035493/nick-saban-retired-legacy-alabama-college-football

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

predicto posted:

you guys are all sleeping on Michigan next year

they very well could be a .500 or below team given their graduation and portal losses, coaching uncertainty, and lack of recruiting

and maybe NCAA sanctions lol

And I'll be fine with that because Natty, baby, but I really don't think Texas has much to worry about in Week 2

Sumrall Tulane would whoop their rear end, be glad they aren't on the schedule.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mike_V posted:

How funny would it be if Brian Kelly jumped to Michigan?

Would love for mass transfers out of LSU to happen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

We had our Ed O moment a couple of years back already.

Did the portal even exist then? Losing your coach this late in the offseason seems like death now.

Overvaluing this kind of poo poo too much is going to kill cfb.

Everything being money driven by “brands” will lead to cutting out too many schools and then half the viewers being gone.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 24, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Honestly placement on terrestrial network TV is the bigger advantage than time slot. The built in ratings hierarchy is typically:

Network TV: ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/CW(lol)
Basic Cable: ESPN/ESPN2/FS1
Regional/Package Paywalled Cable: BTN/SECN/ACCN/ESPNU/CBSSN/Legacy RSNs
May or May not Actually Exist: ESPN+/Facebook Live/Peacock/Pac-12 Network/Stadium

100% agree.

Who had a game on Facebook this past season?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1753470349637812343?s=46

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

The predicted doomsday scenario has happened so quickly. I knew that realistically the people saying megaconference is the endgame of college football were right, but I thought it would be like 30 years from now, and I wouldn't have to deal with the consequences.

College football is climate change, basically.

It is sad to see the P2 emerge just as we get a 12 team playoff. Can’t wait for the playoff to turn into 6 teams from each P2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

Ucla please hire Chadwell

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Really hope they put them OTA and not on some random cable channels.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I wonder if coaching a G5 in dynasty mode will be realistically futile. Essentially impossible to land a top-45 recruiting class and any 2 star you manage to get to an 80 rating or better transfers out at first opportunity.

Just pay 5.99 for 50,000 in game NIL dollars.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The problem with the new 5 + 7 format is two G5s like Tulane and Boise could go undefeated (with Tulane beating KState and OU, and Boise beating Oregon, Oregon State, and Washington State) and only 1 would make the playoff.

In theory they could both make it if they were both ranked well enough, but that basically can’t happen unless one of the teams won a big bowl the prior season.

It is a shame they didn’t let in at least two G5 champs on auto bid but guess we gotta see 3 third place teams instead.

Before anyone makes a dumb comment about G5s not being good anyway, I’d like to point out the Big 12 runner up was destroyed at home by the 7th best Sun Belt team this past season. The season before that, the Big 12 champ lost at home to the AAC champ.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 21, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dirac Fourier posted:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1760331734271324641

Welp, this would suck for the Big 12 and ACC, and I'm not sure if a G5 school would ever get in.

In that scenario they are part of the G7.

General Dog posted:

Let's be honest, the Big Ten and SEC are going to occupy at least 8 of the 12 spots nearly every year under the current rules (that would be the two champs and 6 of the 7 at-large bids).

Can't wait to watch bad 4th place teams because they are from one of the two most famous conferences.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

American schedule dropped today.

https://twitter.com/american_conf/status/1763262628644737410
Do not like the Conference Championship being moved to Friday. Memphis at Tulane on Thanksgiving day is a wild choice. Going for those viewer eyeballs may lead to a partially empty stadium. Too many fans will be out of town or unwilling to go to a game on Thanksgiving.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I haven’t anticipated a game published by EA this much since Mass Effect Andromeda. Lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

lame. I hope this doesn't become more common.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lol at Mexican food in the US outside of Texas or California.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Maed posted:

colorado and new mexico have better Mexican food than both and there's more types of mexican cuisine than just northern ones, expand your minds people

I lived in Colorado, absolutely not. lmao

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

My wife grew up in Colorado and shows me the good Mexican places every time I visit- this is absolutely wrong, lmao. Where in Colorado are you basing this on?

Primarily Denver. The best Mexican food in Colorado pales in comparison to something one could find in Metairie, Louisiana. There just isn't enough spice or flavor.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SEC hockey sounds like madness and should happen. If it happened pre-ww2, a (previously) live mascot’s head would end up on the ice.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I want a random mid major super fan to win the lotto and proceed to pay their team more than any P5.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU is gonna win the lawsuit, sorry nerds

Good, Tulane might make it to the ACC then.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If you could determine permanent OOC games for your favorite team/school, what would they be? In an ideal world Tulane would always play LSU, USM (Southern Mississippi), Ole Miss, and ULL. Auburn, GA Tech, and LA Tech just missed the list.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

So they're just gonna roll with this, huh? Do they still have a contract with the Rose Bowl? Are they gonna play each other for a championship game?

I suspect the plan is to do this until the MWC’s current deal is up in the near future, then expand.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I hope this idea dies like the attempted European soccer Super League.

"The 70 permanent teams would never be in danger of moving down, while the second division would have the incentive of promotion and relegation." This is stupid, either go all the way with promotion relegation or don't try it. There is no reason schools like SMU or Baylor should be permanent super league members while USF, Memphis, and Tulane have to be promoted with threat of relegation. It'd be hilarious to see schools like Texas or Penn State get relegated.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 4, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Gonz posted:

A side effect of this happening is that everybody, everywhere, will finally stop pretending all 134 FBS teams are legitimately competing for the same Championship.

They’re not. It’s not an opinion or anything. It’s reality.

At least half of every conference is pretending at that point. They all have a chance at making the playoff now.

Really should be more G5 spots but we have to pretend teams who will place 3rd and 4th in their conference belong. Since the NY6 was started, G5 teams win their NY6 game more often than Eastern Conference teams win the NBA Finals. In that same time, the NFC's Super Bowl win rate is equal to the G5's NY6 win rate.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 4, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'd even be happy for conferences just to look like they did in 2014.

It is going to be so sad to watch bowl season die over the course of the next few playoffs. I'm already missing the days of simply making a bowl being a good season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder if the new CFB video game will have Pac 12 graphics in it for people to rebuild the conference.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lame about the 2 minute warning. Not having one makes late desperate comebacks better.

Edit: lol, this is going to be a new way to rig ooc matchups.

“The communication will shut off with 15 seconds left on the play clock or when the ball is snapped, whichever is first. The cutoff operator will be hired, assigned and managed by the conference. If one team’s operations go down, both teams will cease using the communication.“

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 19, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

sad

they do have a two year grace period to get back up to 8 members, in theory, but they're not going to get 6 members that move the needle

Isn't the plan pretty clearly wait until the MWC rights agreement runs out so they can poach most but not all of the conference?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

drunk leprechaun posted:

I could've sworn the deal they signed with the MWC there is an explicit penalty if they do this. But I can't find mention of it, so I must've made that up.

I think the more likely thing to happen is that the MWC and P12 merge and use P12 branding and what not. Even now I think it's a strong brand than the wmc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual reformed PAC drops a few MWC schools and tries to get a few AAC schools to join.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If Mega Conferences is the future, I wish the Pac 12 would reform, only FL State + Clemson leave ACC for SEC or B1G, the American would get raided by the PAC and ACC, Tulane/Memphis/USF go to the ACC, and UTSA/Tulsa to NUPAC. Then what's left of the American, merges with Sun Belt and CUSA to form a Mega Conference. After this happens, the playoff should then have auto bids for champs of Big 12, B1G, SEC, ACC, NUPAC, and Sun American USA (name in progress.) The rest of the 6-8 bids would be wild cards.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

If there's ever a "mega conference" system, it's inconceivable to me that it would be more than 40 teams.

I think we have different ideas on what exactly a mega conference is. I feel like anything beyond 12 is the beginnings of a mega conference. The closer a conference gets to 20 teams, the closer they are to being a mega conference.

I hate conferences getting bigger, the slow death of regionalism, and tradition in the sport. Really, I just don't want to see my favorite team left out (yet).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Ah yeah sorry, I was mistakenly conflating what you were talking about with the wildly implausible 80-team super league model that was being posed a few weeks backs.

I'm not sure what to make of the AAC going forward. I get that there weren't really any good moves on the table with Houston and UCF departing, but it seems that inviting half of C-USA diluted their product in a way that was maybe unnecessary. But I guess if the none of the top of the Sun Belt were going to break ranks then there wasn't much else they could do. In any event, seems like the MWC plus Wazzu and Oregon State (whatever shape and name that conference ends up taking) probably gets the benefit of the doubt as the best G5 going forward; and I don't think the Sun Belt is far behind the AAC in reality.

The entire Sun Belt media payout is about what an individual AAC school gets paid on their deal. None of this is really about quality of on the field product, it’s about money. Sure Tulane will lose their coach if they have a good season or two but at least it would be to a program on a P5 budget. Two of the last 4 sun belt coaches of the year left to other G5s.

I think the American will likely collapse if the ACC or NuPac poach a few schools before their next tv deal. I’d assume most schools in the American would leave for either of those options. It is hard to predict what happens to anyone outside of the P2 right now. Essentially all schools not in the SEC or B1G would burn every bridge with their current conference if it got them an invite.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Not a football school but bring back Denver Boone.
"In 2018, the unofficial Boone mascot costume was banned from DU campus under a "no mask" policy, enacted by the DU Board of Trustees as "protection from terrorism." "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Boone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Gonz posted:

Cade McNamara losing the starting job to JJ McCarthy in 2022 and then being like “I’ll show you, Michigan! I’ll show you what you’re missing!”, then going to Iowa and throwing 4 touchdowns in 5 games on a 50% completion percentage was certainly a decision.

Even if he hadn’t been injured, dude would’ve had perhaps 10 touchdown passes total on the season.

Of all the places he could’ve gone to put up the kind of stats that he wanted, and he chose…..Iowa.

It’s like complaining about how badly you want to test out a sports car, and then driving 25 MPH in the right lane with your emergency blinkers on.

Maybe he got the best NIL offer from Iowa.