Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
PC uh, wins this one time and probably not again!(?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who is just letting the story kind of wash over them, I'll say that on the mechanical side this game is honestly pretty good. Very satisfying combat even with just the starting crew.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Joink posted:

How's this game feel with keyboard and mouse? Want to give it a shot but K+M is my only option.

It’s resoundingly fine on kbm. It does that thing where it’s clearly a secondary concern, so instead of a smooth camera control you get that kind of wobbly/swimmy orbit camera and you’ll need to crank the sensitivity all the way up. The default keys are also a bit ??? but fully rebindable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:staredog: Chapter 6

Hey what if your really generic anime game was just Revengeance for a minute?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I didn't notice until now but everyone's eyelashes using the same materials as their eyebrows is really weird looking.

That said, game has some really impressive art all over the place.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Id has left your party" is maybe the funniest understated pop-up of all time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's 5 from the story and at least 5 from quests before any requirement for MP.

E: Crew cards that is.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 3, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume this woman in Seedhallow that's constantly asking for pieces of elemental creatures is up to some poo poo but I guess it's not my problem for now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Countblanc posted:

are unlocked character's starting levels based on your level, or is it just the highest difficulty you've unlocked? i've heard both.

It’s quest difficulty unlocked. 60/Maniac is the highest, 45 before that but I’m not sure what the unlock point for 45 is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Countblanc posted:

any idea what this red icon means?

That person is in a menu or otherwise unable to respond, though I think the only thing that causes it other than menus is traveling between Folca and Seedhallow.

Orv
May 4, 2011
‘Fastest’ I’ve found is to go down each branch’s bottom node on auto, doesn’t seem to be a quicker way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gorgonzola is a character I want to really like but nearly every boss seems designed to make it an absolute chore to get his Big Fist off reliably, though it's probably just coincidental to the designs. It's a bummer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The really important thing to know as ghandagoza is that dodge rolling or link attacking in the middle of his perfect-timing combo chain maintains the combo and he can do another perfect punch afterwards instead of restarting from the beginning. That's pretty much essential to building his stacks up reliably without getting owned. If a boss moves slightly out of range before you get to the finisher you can even double or triple roll to close the distance and still hit it, it's not only for avoiding attacks. The buff skill that gives him Stout Heart (super armor so he can't be interrupted) also helps a lot when it's up since otherwise getting hit interrupts his combo and really ruins his day.

After that it's just trying to line up stuff that gives eternal rage bar. Like the ground combo gives 2/3rds of the gauge if perfect timed so instead of using two ground combos you can charge up a punch with one ground combo plus something that gives 1/3 of the gauge like a link attack (pay attention to the stun bar so you know when you can do this), Avidya, or his faster 3 hit air combo.

Oh I know all of that it’s more just that the gameplay loop for him feels, maybe not bad but just kinda clunky with how much bosses move around or do significant pushback or PBAoE. It’s a feel thing rather than objectively bad but I’m just not into it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the story is solidly not my thing either but the combat is very fun and the environment and monster designs are impressive such that I’ve gotten a bunch of time out of it and will get more.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It did strike me as a bit odd to call them beasts when some if not all of them are clearly some level of sentient? At least I’m assuming since they have mind control gadgets for them and Rosetta exists.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rascyc posted:

There's at least one part in the plot where someone in the crew is like "Are primal beasts just primals?" so I think they did try to make a distinction but I lost the thread on why it was important enough to have such a distinction. I just chalked it up to the dub-translation at the time.

The people from Zegegrande Skydom call primal beasts primal gods. My very limited understanding was that Granblue world is a post-hegemonic society after the ruling Astral empire was destroyed (self-destructed?) and the reason places like Zegegrande are listed as ‘unexplored’ wherever the main Granblue crew comes from is because they’re still rediscovering the world.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YES bread posted:

it's kinda this, the Astrals created the Grim Basin which is basically a giant stormwall that divides the skyrealm into various areas and impedes movement between them unless youre an insane badass/can hire insane badasses to get you through. so there is limited exchange of goods and info but the skydoms are mostly isolated

Ah okay. It’s a neat enough setup that I tried to learn more but wasn’t able to find any major out of game lore wikis or anything, seems like most of the gacha stuff is just mechanical.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

like the summer event with the shark arm lesbian

Come again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay yeah I was hoping it was “arm is a shark,” that’s great.