Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
yeah i don't see the point of an mg that has less ammo and is harder to aim than the medium mg but doesn't have much more noticeable armor penetration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

It does have more armor pen. If its like the HMG emplacement then it has AMR pen. It can red pen devastators, white pen scout striders from the front, kill hulks in their eye, etc.

(Don't shoot striders in the top, shoot them in the waist or legs...)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Ems is god tier

I love it

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

the dmr needs to either have medium pen or do literally twice as much damage. that's just the regular one, the countersniper one can just go in the garbage if they aren't gonna fix the tracking speed on it

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

yeah i don't see the point of an mg that has less ammo and is harder to aim than the medium mg but doesn't have much more noticeable armor penetration

It is pretty funny that you can set this new HMG to 1200rpm, in case you thought the Stalwart's max rof was too slow?? I guess sometimes you just need burst damage NOW but that's a good way to fart away the entire mag in the blink of an eye.

Of course you can also dial it all the way down to 450rpm which at least makes being efficient with your ammo easier, I guess.

sushibandit posted:

... they shouldh ave either doubled the rounds-in-mag count or given you an extra mag or two.

Considering how absurdly gigantic the drum magazine/ammo box is, you'd think it'd fit a little more ammo than that.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 28, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

HMG is underwhelming. I'm fine with it not having a reticle in 3rd person since it's clearly intended to be used stationary, but the heavy recoil even prone with recoil-spec armor is not great, and its ammo situation is pathetic they shouldh ave either doubled the rounds-in-mag count or given you an extra mag or two.

Granted I've only tried it against bost so far, maybe it will feel better against bugs. Being able to reasonably fire on the move is pretty important for bugs though.

Quasar is pretty neat. I could see it being a viable replacement for EATs/RR. Still gotta test it against bugs to see how it handles chargers.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

(Don't shoot striders in the top, shoot them in the waist or legs...)

Dick shots wins fights.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Quasar is weird, I think its more suited to bots given the firing cadence.

Two hits to a hulk anywhere kills it, two hits to the tank, direct hits to the shield of devastators does nothing. Front turret hits to the annihilator does nothing. You can still snipe the vents of fabricators with them, it damages the rear of base turrets like you'd expect. Explosion radius is kind of small if you were trying to use it to AOE some bots.

Ravenfood posted:

You can still move or aim with the Quasar charging up to fire, right? If so even with the aim lag it feels like it'll be an EAT that's better against bile titans/hulks/tanks/shrieker nests and worse against chargers.

More useful on very mobile maps where you're not coming back for already dropped EATs but less useful for areas you know you will be at for a few minutes so can drop some spares.

Neat, I'm excited to try it.

You functionally want to charge it behind cover and peak to shoot against bots. Against bugs I personally feel you can use other weapons that unload dps when you need to.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 28, 2024

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I've got a buddy who is addicted to throwing EATs at drop ships and he's gonna love this new gun

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Quasar is OK, I tried it against bots. It’s surprisingly inaccurate even while crouched, the weapon has a ton of sway while charging. I whiffed a bunch of shots and you absolutely can’t snipe towers or fabricators past 100m reliably. I’m used to the EAT projectile drop which is pretty consistent.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Quasar owns vs bots, very good at shooting down bot drops. Very good for people with "I can't use potions because I might need them later" syndrome

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 28, 2024

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The new M-206 HMG is quite literally just half of the manned HMG emplacement, if you've ever used that. It can theoretically kill a hulk or whatever by shooting the eye or cutting off its limbs but in reality it is not very good for reasons others have stated. (Must ADS, recoil very big, mag small). It is very funny that it can go to 1200 RPM though.

The quasar is I think one of those weapons that some people will swear by and others will hate. Basically an alternate EAT for people who don't die.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

G

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man that guy hated microtransactions, huh

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
the splaser has returned

:hellyeah:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also re: the quasar while you can't snipe bot fabricators from halfway across the map like you can with the autocannon you can still easily do it from outside the reaction range

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Pro-tip: Use the HMG at 450 rpm. It's a reasonably effective weapon at that, and the ammo will last you a decent while.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Quasar makes me feel kinda sad for the railgun. Infinite ammo EAT-like gun requiring no backpack slot, with a safe spool time, downs dropships, closes factories and bug holes, one-shots chargers and hulks. I wasn't one of the people who was super irate about the rail nerfs at the time but in light of the changes to heavy spawns on bugs and the efficacy of stuff like AMR and now Quasar it seems in retrospect like they overreacted to me. Maybe if they made it semi-auto, reduced the charge time, gave some more ammo or something it'd feel a bit better again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tommy the Newt posted:

Quasar makes me feel kinda sad for the railgun. Infinite ammo EAT-like gun with a safe spool time, downs dropships, closes factories and bug holes, one-shots chargers and hulks. I wasn't one of the people who was super irate about the rail nerfs at the time but in light of the changes to heavy spawns on bugs and the efficacy of stuff like AMR and now Quasar it seems in retrospect like they overreacted to me. Maybe if they made it semi-auto, reduced the charge time, gave some more ammo or something it'd feel a bit better again.

Friend of mine still brings the railgun along sometimes and honestly it's still really useful when charged in unsafe mode if you aim at the head of a Hulk. I think there's still a use for it it's just not the kind of thing that everybody in the group should be bringing anymore.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Tommy the Newt posted:

Quasar makes me feel kinda sad for the railgun. Infinite ammo EAT-like gun requiring no backpack slot, with a safe spool time, downs dropships, closes factories and bug holes, one-shots chargers and hulks. I wasn't one of the people who was super irate about the rail nerfs at the time but in light of the changes to heavy spawns on bugs and the efficacy of stuff like AMR and now Quasar it seems in retrospect like they overreacted to me. Maybe if they made it semi-auto, reduced the charge time, gave some more ammo or something it'd feel a bit better again.

Railgun should be a primary

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am a LAS bazooka lover already.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

explosivo posted:

Friend of mine still brings the railgun along sometimes and honestly it's still really useful when charged in unsafe mode if you aim at the head of a Hulk. I think there's still a use for it it's just not the kind of thing that everybody in the group should be bringing anymore.

It's still usable, you can still two-shot charger legs, three-shot charger heads and down hulks and striders pretty well with it. It's just it's not doing bots better than the AMR while having less ammo and carrying more risk (requires almost the full 3 seconds of charge to hit those breakpoints), and it's not doing bugs as well as EATs / Quasar. It seems to be geared to be a medium-enemy killer more than a heavy killer but with the sheer volume of mid-sized enemies 20 ammo is kinda low.

Piell posted:

Railgun should be a primary

I seem to remember someone said it was in the first game, which would make sense.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yeah I mostly enjoy fighting bots and like how they play, but I do agree with the people saying that the sound design could use a lot of work.

There'd be a lot less bullshit deaths if chargers, bile titans, rockets, etc. weren't all so loving silent.

Oh yeah, totally agreed.

I can usually hear chargers if they're charging, and all manner of bot talk around corners and through hils, rocks, and trees, but there are plenty of things that could use better sound design. And thats not even bringing up Sickle talk.

There's been plenty of times I've been completely blindsided by a tank, hulk, or bile titan because I was running from something else and those monstrosities were completely silent. Even idling tanks and hulks should probably be fairly loud. Rockets firing could be louder.

Like someone said multiple pages ago it's a little odd that this game looks so good while it's sound design is a little odd. Most guns sound somewhere between pretty good and great, but even a few of those or distant fire fights could sound better. Hellbombs and 500kg strats sound great though, hell basically all the strat call ins sound really satisfying. I'm a big fan of how chunky the orbital airburst sounds.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Fangz posted:

Pro-tip: Use the HMG at 450 rpm. It's a reasonably effective weapon at that, and the ammo will last you a decent while.

This is what i tried. It's okay, it feels to me a lot like the sniper rifle which i was already using. I dive into the floor and point it at some robot's head. It doesn't take many shots to kill devastators, and if I'm firing at a hulk it's pretty easy since I'm always using stun grenades now anyway. I won't be able to shoot hulks from far away but i was pretty bad at that anyway. Devastators at range feel about the same if i fire in bursts. I feel if I'm careful, I'll be able to kill more devastators before reloading than the sniper rifle, but the reload takes so long and there's only two reloads in it compared to six for the rifle

I don't use it on walkers because i have my plasma punisher for that. It's nicer than the sniper to pick off the odd raider, which can be awkward with the plasma punisher. I haven't tried it on berserkers yet but that sounds like a good use case for the high rate of fire mode

I'm unsure if i like it as much as the sniper rifle in the end. The low number of reloads and the long animation are nasty. I'm willing to keep at it, though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tommy the Newt posted:

Heavy Machinegun is the second support weapon after the AMR that has no shoulder-aim, it's also one of the ones with the most infuriatingly misaligned sights. Just testing it now but it seems like the bullets hit the centre of the scope circle but the red dot is high. Really hope they sort this poo poo out, because it kinda ruins the experience of both guns.

gently caress if its ADS only then im never using it lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hate the Heavy MG, it is just worse in every way to any other weapon that does it's job.

The Quasar I like, however I think I would still bring EATs.

Because to me the Quasar is not something I want to carry all the time and EATs are ready for you whenever you roll up to an objective.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

explosivo posted:

I've been experimenting with the railgun these past few days to see how well it still stacks up and I think it's fine damage wise if you can nail that 90%+ overcharge, but it's a very uncomfortable weapon to use because if you're a fraction too slow you die, and a fraction too fast means you do notably less damage. The general-purpose medium and heavy killing potential is nice but the risk/failure potential is too high for me personally. Your mileage may vary though, especially if you can be consistent with hitting that overcharge.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Man it sounds like they really missed an opportunity with the HMG. Having a machine gun that could chunk chargers/hulks etc through their armor would have been really fun and the small mag, limited ammo, recoil, and need to ADS would have been good tradeoffs.

But if it can't do that then yeah, I don't see why it's worth bringing. Bummer!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i run the railgun (in unsafe) against the bots, and it's really effective against devastators, hulks and striders. I'm pretty stymied with it by tanks and turrets, but :shrug:

I never bring it against bugs though

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Hakarne posted:

Man it sounds like they really missed an opportunity with the HMG. Having a machine gun that could chunk chargers/hulks etc through their armor would have been really fun and the small mag, limited ammo, recoil, and need to ADS would have been good tradeoffs.

But if it can't do that then yeah, I don't see why it's worth bringing. Bummer!

Yeah this is where I'm at. Even if it took a full mag to the face to down a charger it would still probably not be as good as the EAT but it would be viable.

As it is it's just not very useful as part of a full kit.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well one bonus about the new machine gun is a supply pack restore 2 clips. Pretty sure the MMG only restores one clip with a supply pack. So you get the same amount of bullet efficiency.

The Railgun is very good against bots, I pair it with the Scorcher and the bots are not difficult with that setup. Throw in the jump pack and getting behind tanks to scorcher down or nade their weakspot isn't a big deal.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 28, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

BadLlama posted:

Well one bonus about the new machine gun is a supply pack restore 2 clips. Pretty sure the HMG only restores one clip with a supply pack. So you get the same amount of bullet efficieny.

The new machine gun is the HMG. The one that refills 1 clip is an MMG.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

They fixed the PS5 loadout bug!

New lazer gun keeps blasting me through the ground.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

magiccarpet posted:

They fixed the PS5 loadout bug!

New lazer gun keeps blasting me through the ground.

A sand planet that when hit by meteors now reflects lasers for additional potential bullshit kills.

Did you call an orbital laser on the glass crater?

Good luck everyone else! You also get 5 max fps with this mechanic.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
HMG seems kind of underwhelming. I’m not sure why they feel the need to stack on so many negatives (unwieldy recoil, slow turn rate, low ammo, no 3rd person aiming) for what is already kind of a niche stratagem. The recoil and turn rate make perfect sense, don’t make me waste a second slot on a supply pack for a weapon that should have one of its strengths be “look you can still wear a different backpack.” All of the issues with the gun CAN be played around with positioning and stratagems, but at that point why not just bring a stalwart or arc thrower that does most of the role better without any of the headaches.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The HMG is great if you've ever thought to yourself 'Boy, I am carrying way too many bullets!' and you want to get rid of them extremely quickly.

1200 RPM is just funny.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Darox posted:

This is just straight up not true. A cannon turret can tank 4 spear shots to the front.
"But what if they're turned away" then just shoot them with the autocannon and kill it faster while using less ammo and having an actually good weapon in your hands.

My spears hit them on the top of the head and get them in one. Are you shooting up at them from below? I don't mean that dismissively, I'd just posted that after clearing a whole map of turrets and am curious how yours are hitting the front.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Reiley posted:

My spears hit them on the top of the head and get them in one. Are you shooting up at them from below? I don't mean that dismissively, I'd just posted that after clearing a whole map of turrets and am curious how yours are hitting the front.

Yeah I find the spear to be pretty consistently higher damage than the recoilless.i 2 shot hulks easy and from the front plus there is a sweet spot at close range where the top attack will hit the weak spot and one shot them.

However, lockon error.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Quasar really exposes how the RR is undertuned, its just so much better. Cool down time on the Quasar is similar to the unassisted reload time of the RR and isn't limited by ammo or needs to use a backpack slot

I can still see reasons to use the EAT over the quasar, but I don't see any reason to go with the RR anymore

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fix the Spear lockon, cowards!!!