Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

I still am having a blast with the auto cannon. A little matador work and you can unload into a chargers back and do tons of damage. Then it’s also great against most every other enemy and even adds a bit of crowd control as you work.

The reload and shots between reloads are huge luxuries compared to the recoilless rifle and ammo boxes refill a ton of shots.

It’s also great at taking out bile spewers with two shots to the head or three to the abdomen

I'm also in love with the AC, especially on bot missions. It's just so versatile, I can snipe hulks and devastators from miles away, blow up fabs and cannon towers without getting near the base, take out three striders in the time it takes a railgun to kill one. The lack of a backpack feels worse on bug missions where you can get swarmed by hunters so easily, but it also means you can take 3 orbitals/eagles so you have enough space for single target and crowd control. If you get good at charger kiting you can sometimes take them out in two hits the back leg joint. I don't think I'll ever give it up for the railgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I just discovered that if you start a campaign on a planet which then gets fully liberated, it will let you finish that whole campaign, meaning you can play on planets that are technically inaccessible to other players. It explains the small amount of player activity on non accessible planets on helldivers.io.

also figured out that your ship log will tell you the planet type of the campaign you're on. The moon one said 'Sandy', which is the same as the desert planet, so I think the type is more to do with the terrain features, like how there are 3 or 4 different coloured jungle planets which presumably all share the same type.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm also fully sluggerpilled now, it's so nice to have a brood commander charging at you and give it one shot that sends it reeling back. Great for chainsaw boys as well. You can even one shot devastators if you hit them in the head. I can't wait to try out the plasma shotgun, I'm hoping it'll be great for bugs.

Also hoping they don't fix supercredit farming on trivial missions. If they're gonna release a thousand cred warbond every month, it's nice to have the option to spend a bit of tedium farming rather than the cash. I'm sure with the success of the game they'll have enough whales to subsidize the rest of us.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
People tend to think that devs are making secret tweaks all the time when things seem slightly different than they were before. It's almost always just that there's such a massive amount of variables and you're such a tiny sample size that it's natural you'll get streaks of various behaviours all the time. Unless you see it in patch notes I wouldn't assume they've changed anything.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Sure, although those were eventually listed. It's just that some people see any little thing that doesn't match with the pattern they've been seeing for the last while and immediately jump to thinking the devs are messing with stuff, when 90% of the time it's not the case.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
If you care about the galactic war, the most efficient thing to do is to choose the planet with the most players. Me, I wish I could sabotage the liberation so I get to see new biomes.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Qubee posted:

I wish there was an option to bypass the returning to your own ship / flying to someone else's ship and instead just have a galactic map screen on the main menu for quicker lobby switching. Far too often I've joined lobbies where the players are just AFK in the bridge or purposefully loving about. So I've sat through the animation and loading to teleport to their ship, then when I choose to join a different lobby, I have to exit, go through the animations again, find another lobby in the galactic map, and then teleport again. It is tedious!

I always just start my own missions, they fill up plenty quick and you don't have to worry about being kicked or the host leaving before the operation is complete.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I really hope they manage to make the illuminate as unique to play against as the bots and bugs are. It's almost like two separate games at the moment, makes it not get boring when you can just switch from the one you're sick of.

I'm kind of amazed no big popular multiplayer game has done anything like the galactic war before, it's such a good way to keep things fresh and add new content, makes me want to keep up with what's going on even when I'm not playing.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I thought I'd figured out a medal farming method, and it works, but not as well as I'd hoped. You pick the command bunker bot mission, drop directly onto the bunker and chuck down a laser, then grenade yourself until you're out of reinforcement. Easy 6 medals, but unfortunately you can't do it on helldive difficulty because then it's 3 command bunkers.

Regardless, dropping directly onto the bunker is definitely the best way to start those missions.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I can't give up the slugger because I'm so used to the stagger and rounds reload. It's so nice to be able to one shot brood commanders and two shot berserkers.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
AC can snipe cannon towers and fabs from halfway across the map, the range is what makes it so good for bots. I don't bring it on bugs much because I love having the laser dog. That with the slugger plus EAT and maybe mech on certain missions, fill in with whatever eagle stuff you feel like. It's a very versatile loadout with an answer for everything.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Bots can be harder in the sense that if you get piled by too many patrols at once, you've just got no shot at hanging around, and if you're on an objective it can be a run ender. However their bases and heavies are much easier to kill, and from much longer ranges. Bots really reward playing more cautiously and I find them really fun.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

The Lib Pen has a niche right now, but it's really niche - it's legitimately good vs. brood commanders and hive guards in a way no other primary is; but it could probably stand to get some more damage to be worth using vs. bots.

Slugger can one shot brood commanders and two shot hive guardians, plus it staggers them.

As for grenades, I always take stuns on bots because I have the AC for everything else, and I take impacts on bugs because I can't give up the laser dog, so I need them for spitters. Grenade pistol would probably be an always take on bugs if they release it.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

Where the hell do you aim to one shot a brood commander

It doesn't happen every time, but more often than not if you hit the right spot on the head it'll take it clean off, the brood commander will keep coming at you for a bit, but you can easily sidestep it and start shooting other stuff and it'll die in a few seconds.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's interesting having all these leaks and not knowing when you'll see any of this stuff, especially with the way they seem to test stuff out in public games. The whole galactic war thing works really well to keep the game interesting, everything feels connected instead of a whole bunch of separate groups of players that have no influence on anything larger. It's a great way to tease stuff in game and make new content fit in seamlessly. I wonder if more live service games will try something similar in the future.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So I've now identified every biome from their planet model, and what I can tell there are only 2 we haven't seen before. Zagon Prime is the same as Drugen, which was a very early bot planet, so that biome has been playable before. The 2 we haven't seen are that Nivel planet between Hellmire and Zagon, and an acid green looking planet model we haven't been on yet.

That makes 16 different planet models and biomes total in the current galactic map, 2 we haven't played on yet. However, looking at the leaked planet banners, there are about 30 more in addition to this that we haven't seen. I'm not sure how they're gonna introduce these, I have a feeling the planet models are gonna change around at some point. Some of these unseen biomes look awesome.

Don't ask me why I tried to figure all this out, I'm a sucker for environments in games.

Edit: to add to this, biomes come under various planet Types. They used to show the planet type of the last planet visited under the ship log screen, but they seem to have taken that out. For example, all 4 jungle biomes seem to come under the Primordial type, Draupnir, Crimsica and Angel's Venture were the Moor type, Fenrir and Errata Prime were the Sandy type, and Vandalon was Arctic. I think the types govern basic terrain generation rules, and it looks like we've only seen about 4 or 5 types at the moment.

A bunch of the other type names were leaked, my speculation is that they're still testing all the other types which those other 30 biomes come under, and will introduce them later.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 22, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
As they release more weapons, loadouts will get a lot more flexible. If you have options for primary, secondary and support that can all take on each of the major roles you need them to, you can mix and match much better. Right now I can't see giving up the slugger as primary.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've been running with the breaker for a good while now, do people suggest something different now after we've had a few balance patches or are there any solid alternatives otherwise worth checking out?

Slugger, slugger and more slugger. You need to pair it with the laser dog for bugs or you'll get swarmed by hunters, but it handles brood commanders and hive guards very well, and it can stop a spitter from vomiting if you hit it in the face. It's an excellent all rounder for bots. There's no other primary that can completely shut down six chainsaw boys running at you, as well as snipe the little guys at a pretty good range.

As for eagle stuff, airstrike is a great swiss army knife against bots. Plenty of uses, kills tanks, fabs and turrets and a pretty good AoE. For bugs, napalm and cluster bomb are better. Napalm can shut down an entire bug breach if you time it right, it's not good for much else though. Cluster bomb has great area and will kill anything smaller than a charger.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think my main problem with everything that's not the slugger is it's got so much ammo and the rounds reload feels so good. Whenever I use another primary and have to clip reload in the middle of a swarm it feels bad. Some primaries definitely need an ammo bump.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think I'm gonna bring the EMS mortar basically all the time now, it's so good for getting the heat off of you in almost any situation, and the cooldown is really short. Trying to get better with the 500kg for bile titans, as it's the only thing that can one shot them reliably if you position it properly. Railcannon is just too much of a gamble for how large the cooldown is.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 24, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah I find that I still need impact grenades in case of bile spitters though, and being able to close holes if I need to. Once they release the grenade pistol I should be able to switch to stuns for bugs

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Baby T. Love posted:

Orbital Precision Strike kills them very reliably too, but I'd say perfect execution with your kiting and Stun Grenade timing is necessary for that.

Hopefully they fix the bug where red beam strategems will come down on the first point it hits the ground even if it sticks to a bug, and then I can practice hoofing the precision strike onto a BT.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So right now the way it works is if you for example throw a blue beam strategem like a supply beacon onto a charger and it sticks to him, when the pod comes down it'll hit him. If you throw a red beam strategem like an orbital precision strike and it sticks to him, if he moves around the strike will just hit where you first threw it, it won't track the charger. This is listed as a known issue, so they're going to fix it at some point. Once that happens, you'll be able to throw a precision strike onto a Titan and if it sticks to him, even if he moves away it'll come right down on him. If they consistently one shot that'll make it a better pick than the railcannon strike as long as you can consistently get it to stick.

Edit: beaten like a Helldiver in a pack of hunters

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I find bots more fun and more manageable than bugs now. The key is autocannon, EMS mortar, stun grenades, airstrike and slugger. You can handle pretty much anything with that setup. I hardly ever get clipped by rockets because I immediately prioritize rocket guys, and AC takes them out fast. One thing that probably takes some getting used to coming from bugs is always being either in cover, or aware of where the nearest cover is. Also never be afraid to go prone, it makes you much harder to hit. My deaths on bots are mostly from the jumppack guys, if you let them get up in your face there's little you can do to not get set on fire.

Can't wait until we get the illuminate and there's a whole new level of bullshit for people to complain about.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I had a pub group on bugs yesterday, had a really rough start and then a couple of them just chewed through the rest of our reinforcements just hanging out at a completed objective, I had to solo the rest of it pretty much, but we got out in the end. Hopefully people start realising that they actually need to focus on completing objectives instead of banging their heads against the bug wall as they get higher level.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Don't sleep on the muscle booster, took it on the snow planet and it's night and day, you can stride over that snow like it's nothing, the extra mobility really helps when running away from bots. I think I'll take it on any planet that restricts movement from now on.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's got infinite range though so you can take stuff out much further away than an EAT can, and it can two shot bile titans. I think I'm gonna run it for bugs for the foreseeable future. Bots I find it less good, but that's mainly because it's not the autocannon.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Been trying Quasar against bots and I'm definitely not a fan. It's my new #1 for bugs but against bots it's just a flat-out worse lascannon with better range.

For example it takes 2 quasar shots (~10ish seconds) to kill a turret but a lascannon can do it in under 3 seconds:
https://i.imgur.com/jzYRExm.mp4
Tanks have pretty much the exact same killspeed as turrets.

Same with Striders, they're ~2.5 seconds with lascannon and you can easily do 5+ in a row without having to cooldown. Quasar is around 8 seconds per strider.
https://i.imgur.com/gArrk4E.mp4

The only benefits Quasar has over lascannon for bots are shooting down dropships (admittedly a good benefit) and killing hulks from the front. And killing fabricators but those are easy as hell to kill with orbitals/eagles.

The thing about the Quasar though is that you don't have to hit the vents, it can two shot turrets and tanks from the front. Having played with it a bit more I like it a lot. Definitely need something else for striders though, I take the scorcher, which I wish had just a bit more ammo.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

FunkyFjord posted:

I almost always ADS with the slugger specifically because it has a pretty good sight that lets you get a more precise idea of where the shot is going, both by letting you know when its aim sway from pumping it has actually ended and giving you a much tighter red dot than the third person reticle. I also feel like it's projectile is faster than the scorcher and travel speed and ammo are the only things I don't like about the scorcher. You really only have to lead targets at a decent distance with the slugger, I felt like I had to lead everything with the scorcher. Of course the scorcher gets a couple more easy kills than the slugger because of its small explosion trait.

Also been think about going back to the breaker and punisher for bugs because a decent spread probably trivializes shriekers, but the liberator and sickle are also pretty good here so I haven't gone back to them yet. I bet the punisher also feels pretty good against basic bots at range.

Scorcher is great for walkers and bad for devastators, slugger is the other way around. I find walkers more annoying so I usually take scorcher, I do always feel short on ammo though. Not sure which one I'd take solo.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's actually more fun being level 50 and capped out on everything because it means there's no stakes and you can just have fun with it. Pubbies gently caress around at extract not getting into the shuttle and lose the super samples? Lol, that's fun.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
There are only 2 biomes most players haven't seen yet, one is an arid western style desert, one is an acid planet with canyons like Fori. There are about 30 more biomes they haven't implemented yet, hopefully they'll be coming when the third faction is introduced, some of them look really cool

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I kind of find the opposite, the shared galactic war keeps me coming back, and the rotating planets give me a reason to check out one I haven't played in a while. There are 15 biomes in game right now, you currently have access to almost half of those. I think it's better to be somewhat limited, makes it last longer. Once the third faction is in play and they start implementing the next 30 or so biomes, you'll be spoilt for choice.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 30, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's really funny reading the galactic war channel on the official discord, people are so salty about the player base splitting and not all doing the most efficient way to complete the order. Don't think they realise that the vast majority of players aren't on Reddit or discord and are just playing whatever feels fun. Can't wait to see what happens when we've got 3 fronts and potentially multiple major orders at the same time.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Quasar is the thing that finally got me to stop taking autocannon for bots. It can do almost everything the AC can, and some things better. Lets me take the shield which prevents a lot of deaths. It's made bot 7s feel pretty breezy if you've got a good team.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

space uncle posted:

I tried this but then couldn’t do jack poo poo against Striders. I know you can flank them, but that’s not always easy. I need to unlock the Scorcher I think.

Yeah I use scorcher for that reason. Also take the senator for headshotting devastators

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
The untextured ships are definitely automaton, you can sometimes see them shooting red lasers. I still don't know what to think about the blue lasers. Seems like they're finally pushing the narrative that leads up to the 3rd faction, I think server stability issues delayed it by a month. This whole bit is basically a prologue to the real war, can't wait for what comes next.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
There's obviously some outliers, but I think the majority of the stratagems and guns are in a pretty good place right now. It doesn't feel like there's one best loadout for anything. Like if I get bored of Quasar, shield and scorcher, taking autocannon, sickle and more big bombs feels just as good in a different way. They have a very solid base game now, I can't wait to see what it's gonna be like in 6 months. I can see myself playing this for a long time.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Just cleared a bot blitz on difficulty 8 solo, no deaths, every base destroyed. Extracted after the mission timer had ended in the middle of a sandstorm, surrounded by bots. Felt great. Never taking off the stealth armour.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Does the stealth armor help you lose bits that already activated or just passive patrols?

They seem to lose track of you much more easily and get distracted by any other explosions or noises, so it's really easy to give them the slip. Once in another mission I stumbled on two patrols and just immediately went prone and slithered between them, like 5 metres away, they never noticed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Saw my first factory strider waiting at extraction, we agreed to leave it and come back at the end, when we came back it was gone. I hope it's safe out there somewhere, wandering the sands.