Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

johnny park posted:

Man this is weird as hell lol. I almost don't want to learn how to do it because it feels like it's gonna be patched out immediately
Yeah I can't believe that's intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Fishstick posted:

On the flipside the host of a party can leave/crash mid-session and it's 100% seamless when it transitions to a different host.
I would be very surprised if the host was actually acting as server in the first place. There are a lot of good reasons not to do that in a live service game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Now that I've unlocked the RR and seen how many chargers can spawn together it feels like it should definitely be able to kill them with one good headshot (or butt shot, or whatever the devs deem appropriate) considering how unlikely it is you'll be able to reload it with multiple chargers around.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Doming hulks with the AMR is so satisfying. :synpa:

What's the best weapon for dealing with berserker packs? It's so much easier dealing with 1 hulk than 4-6 berserkers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

The breaker does OK against beserker swarms if you aim at the waist and try to cut them in half. But if all 4-6 are able to roll up at you at full health you're kind of in a bad situation no matter what.
Ah, I liked using the DMR on bots since it 1 shots little guys at long range but I just unlocked the auto shotgun and should probably try it. I need to get in the habit of emptying each weapon into their waists and then switching to the next instead of reloading once they've close.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I tried to hit my friends with snowballs and was stymied by the fact they throw like grenades, so they kept going over their heads.

Then we were rudely ambushed by robots while distracted

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yeah being able to tank more hits is always going to lose out to not getting hit in the first place. It might be more useful against bots if it lets you shrug off ranged fire though.
Give heavy armor the same debuff immunities the backpack shield grants.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The other day a small jumping bug instantly carried the gatling bombardment marker from where I threw it right into the middle of our team and I was very glad the ship targets the spot where it first lands.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Tried grenade launcher + supply pack and it's certainly fun when I remember to blow up all the bugs before they're in my face and I kill myself, which is most of the time. Not great against chargers but I notice hitting them in the butt with grenades seems to make them flinch, so I'll take it over anything else I have access to at the moment.

It is nice to be able to erase most bug patrols before they can summon a breach. Pairs great with a friend with a railgun and anti-big-stuff orbitals.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 1, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Had a drop with two people who brought mortar turrets to bug operations and it was absolutely terrifying.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man I wish the RR was an actual upgrade over the EAT.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

Honestly I don't care if they don't nerf it but would love some other guns to get some love from the devs. The other shotty feels like crap.
The pump shotgun does 10% more damage than the Breaker but has 1/3rd the ROF and ammo, it's crazy.

Mind you I'd be fine with turning it's shot into a giant death cone instead of nerfing the Breaker. The Slugger is mostly fine since it has medium pen even though it says light in its info.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Was there always a little icon telling you whether it's day or night when selecting a mission? Was I actually blind until now?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Some good moments tonight

I'm stuck in a bile titan mission with 2 low level randoms because the 4th player left and SOS doesn't work. They both bring absolutely nothing capable of hurting a titan. I cross my fingers and bring my RR. When we make it to the titan I manage to shoot it twice and die reloading for a third. The poor guys are emptying their MGs into its belly non stop accomplishing nothing.

We spend most of our reinforcements either continuing to MG the titan or picking up the RR and dying before I can reload, until finally I manage to drop my pod onto its head and kill it.

Later, in a much better group with a friend, things have gotten a bit frantic as the team is spread out. I die and get reinforced on top of two chargers while the team books it. I notice a hellbomb on the ground, lose the chargers around a corner, run past it, trigger it, and hit the dirt. The chargers and other bugs all die while I live.

Game good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.
Operations with multiple missions are (as you've probably realized) "I want to start this operation as the host." It's weird the game isn't filling if you have it set to public matchmaking in the options. Generally QP should throw people at you in the ready screen almost immediately.

Single missions are "I want to join this host's game." Quick play fills them in 2 or 3 seconds but they don't disappear for 30 or so you have to see one appear and be very fast to get in. I do this to avoid night missions.

I've never used QP but I assume it's just like option 2 but automatically places you the first available group on the current planet/difficulty.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 2, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I still am having a blast with the auto cannon. A little matador work and you can unload into a chargers back and do tons of damage. Then it’s also great against most every other enemy and even adds a bit of crowd control as you work.

The reload and shots between reloads are huge luxuries compared to the recoilless rifle and ammo boxes refill a ton of shots.

It’s also great at taking out bile spewers with two shots to the head or three to the abdomen
I have a tough time choosing between the AC and grenade launcher. They're both a ton of fun and good against roughly the same things.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

hbag posted:

whats the range on shotguns? ive been mostly avoiding them because they seem like id have to get uncomfortably close but if the spread isnt that bad i might start using them
Generally far enough since there's not much really open terrain in the game outside of beaches.

Though some of it is that the most popular support weapons are long-range ones that a good shotgun complements perfectly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

BitBasher posted:

I must be lucky, out of all my games so far the only times I have seen anything be unrecoverable it's been because a teammate (or 2 or 3) refuses to disengage and keeps shooting everything forever like some kind of demented last stand instead of hitting the bricks and breaking LOS and just getting on with life. This most often happens on bugs because someone keeps shooting patrols that are otherwise far enough away not to aggro.
If you haven't tried one yet, evac missions are uniquely difficult. They happen on small maps and bots dropship in nonstop at an insane rate no matter what you do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
People are also saying it kills chargers very quickly as long as you can hold it on the same leg for a few seconds, though sometimes it just doesn't work.

It would be funny if the flamethrower also turns out to be an anti-big-guy weapon because it has relatively low DPS but ignores armor, letting it penetrate straight to the weak points.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
B uses your equipped emote.

You definitely should be able to move your mouse and select the radial buttons when you use the Q menu. Sounds like a bug

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you want to be really cool when someone dies and you respawn them tag their stuff with Q. That way they can see it while dropping in and steer onto it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My favorite death so far: a buddy kills a charger coming at me by dropping a well-timed precision strike on its rear end. This throws the body into me, knocking me over. Then together we slide into an explosive barrel, detonating it and killing me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah very low difficulties have "kill the chargers" missions.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

kaxman posted:

Lol the slugger hits spore towers across the map
Almost any gun can kill spore towers. They don't seem to have any armor, though they may be resistant to non-explosive damage because missiles, grenades, and AC shots seem to do it fastest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Nope all together. The “breach detected” banner just never left the screen and the music was the intense fight music.

In both cases at difficulty 7 not a single bug appeared after we activated Evac for 4 minutes.
Sometimes the glitches are just in your favor.

I once had a kill mission where bugs stopped spawning the moment the mission was complete, allowing us to leisurely grab every sample on the map before leaving.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of options with bad defaults: set "remember aim mode" to "per weapon."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

my latest experiment in "is this weapon as bad as they say?" is the counter sniper. answer: yes

from the listed stats it would be a questionable sidegrade to the marksman rifle, except those stats don't list that its turn speed is literally more sluggish than an autocannon. the thing straight up can't keep up with the average bug target's lateral movement. it also loses 2 magazines and 25% magazine size for the prize of a tiny amount more damage. the marksman rifle is still my favorite weapon so far even though some people don't like it.
Something like "handling" is definitely up there with armor pen for stats that need to be visible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I missed the flamethrower order but now everyone seems to have an eagle strafing run one which sure does encourage people to aggro every single patrol they see with them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Grenade launcher feels so good against bugs once you get a feel for sliding grenades under mediums. Very satisfying to one shot the armored ones that way after they hunker down.

Also the one time per mission a grenade bounces straight back into you off the edge of their armor is funny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I saw someone bring the 120mm barrage to a game. The only time I saw them use it they threw it like it was precision bombardment and the only thing it killed was himself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Arc Thrower firing squad strategy is real. The main trick is to not aim directly at enemies on the ground, the thing has a small cone of stuff it might decide to target and you want as few rocks, sticks, and corpses in the cone as possible to force it to hit an enemy, so aim high.

Once you've mastered that and the rhythm of rapid firing it's a pretty great weapon.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 6, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Had a particularly nasty bug today where I suddenly became unable to use my primary weapon, even if I died and respawned or picked up a different one. Since I only brought the EAT as my support weapon thanks to the daily this was less than ideal.

Then near the end of the mission I picked up an autocannon from a disconnected player and that fixed it. Weird.

masteen posted:

I've played over a dozen 7+ missions over the past 3 days, and I haven't even seen the lightning butt plug. The new hotness for Rando Calrissian this week is trying to clear every minor objective VERY SLOWLY and then getting wiped on the run to the evac because no Space Gunz.
Meanwhile I keep seeing the rock in 5s and 6s and being disappointed because it gets marked with a ? but has nothing useful on those difficulties.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 6, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
EDIT: beaten

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh they made another announcement:

quote:

Alex K. has some additional numbers for you regarding weapon balancing:
Breaker: Decreased magazine capacity from 16 to 13, increased recoil from 30 to 55
Railgun: Decreased armor penetration, decreased damage against durable enemy parts
Flamethrower: Increased damage per second by 50%
Laser Cannon: Increased damage against durable enemy parts, increased armor penetration, improved ergonomics
Punisher: Increased total ammo capacity from 40 to 60, increased stagger force, increased damage from 40 per bullet to 45 per bullet
Breaker Spray & Pray: Increased armor penetration, increased fire rate from 300 to 330, increased number of pellets from 12 to 16 per shot, decreased magazine size from to 32 to 26
Energy Shield Backpack: Increased delay before recharging
380mm and 120mm Orbital Barrages: Increased duration of the bombardment, decreased spread

Curious about what exactly "damage against durable parts" means. Armor stripping?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 6, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
lol if the flamethrower becomes the new meta weapon against chargers.

I'm really curious about how the barrages feel now. Ideally they fill their area but do it slowly enough they work consistently against static targets but are still worse than eagle strikes against moving ones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I really think they had chargers vulnerable to small arms fire late in development, and only flipped on that 90% damage reduction for non-explosive weapons at the end, because if that wasn't there then the packs of 5 chargers would just be kinda annoying/tense. 10% is too low, 100% is probably too much. Maybe 50%? 70%?
I feel like they'll have to either do this eventually or introduce another big bug that shares spawns with the charger and isn't as heavily armored.

Or maybe it'll naturally become less of a problem as more explosive primary weapons are introduced. And one or two more antagonist factions, so you don't feel pigeonholed half the time.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Trying out the arc thrower now and it chips armor ok but doesn't seem to break it very reliably?

I'm not vibing with it so far. In conclusion:
The arc thrower's strength isn't breaking armor, it's that it ignores armor like the flamethrower.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

well that's lame, if i ever get good enough to do 7s it's a long, long ways away. sucks to be disadvantaged like that for being bad

i guess getting carried is an option at least, if i can swallow what little personal pride i have lol
In my experience you'll be past level 20 with all the best toys unlocked before you've collected enough common samples to need super samples to upgrade further. No need to worry about it before then.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Eradication missions were certainly too easy but I think they may have overshot a little. I started a one solo to finish the bug kill personal order and was being chased by twenty hunters by the time all my equipment landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Meteors are cool when the warning light works properly but I think it's extremely inconsistent? A lot of the time I definitely wasn't seeing blue light until an instant before they hit.

Darox posted:

It's still crazy that nursing spitters and bile spitters are conditional spawns and only appear on certain missions. Bugs are an extremely two dimensional faction without them, it's hardly a surprise that the meta devolved to a two dimensional build to deal with them. Make Bile Spitters appear on every bug mission above difficulty 4.
Hard agree.