Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I do wonder who the heck is setting up those illegal broadcasts on bug worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I've honestly had it the way around. I've had my support weapon or backpack come off cooldown so I drop a second one for my teammates, especially when they don't have anything equipped, only to find that they absolutely refuse to pick it up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Booty Pageant posted:

oh i guess mashing E on pick ups breaks things, i thought it was just a graphical thing til my samples didn't count

Don't mash E, hold down E and walk around what you want to pick up. I think other stuff that uses the interact button, like 3rd party reloads and resupplies work the same way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I was playing with pubbies on Malevon Creek when a guy joined blasting Fortunate Son on their voice chat. Good work dude, you are my hero.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

Higher difficulties also spawn additional sub objectives that either root you in one place for too long to be worth clearing (SEAF artillery, Radar tower, SEAF AA) or are must-clears to prevent deaths or failure cascades (Stalker nests, Spore Tower, Mortar Bunker, Anti-Air, Strategem Scrambler, Eye of loving Sauron). I clear the ones I have to clear, and I ignore the ones I don't.

I usually find trying to clear the Eye of loving Sauron *is* the failure cascade. The hellbomb won't land properly, and people keep dropping orbitals on it despite it not doing anything, and piles of enemies land and kill you over and over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The thing I'd note is that while it's PvE there's also friendly fire, so cheating does open up griefing potential. Also if there's a lot of cheaters it will make players who don't cheat feel their contribution to battles is worthless unless they cheat as well, and that will probably made everyone have less fun. If half my matches get interrupted by a godmode player joining and oneshotting every enemy before I can even aim with infinite ammo, that would get old fast.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm seriously tempted to start team killing pubbie mortar turrets. Seeing someone put one down when we have chargers coming in is just a recipe for a dozen dead Helldivers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the marksman armour feels quite good now, at least. I think the smaller bugs probably can't hit your head and you now take minimal damage from them. It's nice to be able to use the autocannon on closer enemies.

I suspect that versus bugs, you can probably avoid crits by moving away from them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Generally I don't think the highest difficulty in a game should be balanced to allow a team of pubbies to expect to kill everything.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jolo posted:

Had a mission where the hellbomb didn't become available to take out the research station. Seemed like the radar building is stronger than the others and nothing we had on us could blow it up. We were hoping that landing a hellpod into it would do it but it just deployed him next to the building. Is this a common thing? There's not something you have to do before the hellbomb becomes available aside from entering the area is there?

If you leave the area and go back to it sometimes it resets mission specific strategems. At least it seemed like that to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

really loving gets my goat when our team spends 70 percent of our reinforcements just doing sub objectives. finish the main poo poo first! medals are what matters!

What annoys me is less losing medals but the squads that exhaust all their reinforcements combing the map for samples and then fail the objective, meaning nothing is extracted at all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It would be nice if the post game stats tracked mission progress somehow, so I don't feel bad about going for the objective while pubbies insist on fighting and killing every thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They really need to let you team reload without having the backpack yourself, who out there playing difficulty 9's is bringing recoilless without the ability to reload themselves and relying on that one teammate sacrificing their backpack to help you out specifically while poo poo is going sideways and people are getting ragdolled by enemies and allies to death.

The only situation I can see it is two people bringing the same weapon and just helping eachother out when poo poo gets hairy with a half dozen bile titans crawling around.

You can have one person bring the weapon and then drop a second one in later ahead of a big battle, once the cooldown has elapsed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

That doesn't matter at all. It's purely time and distance from the objective.

What? I'm pretty sure that interacting with an objective at least draws patrols, even if it doesn't spawn them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

Being in proximity to any sub objective increases the spawn rate of patrols while you're within, iirc, 150m until that objective is completed. Maybe the reason people feel like the SEAF artillery in particular draws patrols to you is that it occupies a large section of relatively flat ground so the pathing is simpler. Patrols around other objectives can get caught up wiggling around, or have to path past them rather than over them (like in the case of the data upload towers or radar towers) Interacting with consoles etc. has been proven to do nothing to spawns.

The issue isn't spawns, the issue is pathing. Interacting with objectives gives patrols a waypoint to come over to investigate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pro-tip: Use the HMG at 450 rpm. It's a reasonably effective weapon at that, and the ammo will last you a decent while.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just put the HMG on 450rpm and aim a little bit high. And tap fire.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The quasar definitely does less damage than the EATs/recoilless. Those can oneshot a bot turret vent. With the quasar it takes one shot and 1 hit from a HMG.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I absolutely hate the mortar and will destroy it. It's just not worth it. Even vs bots. It might be okay if you are completely in control of the situation, but the moment you find yourself in a running battle, when you are trying to push to an objective, when you are trying to reclaim gear or samples, it will kill you over and over and over.

Bring the AC sentry. Or the EMS. It's far far better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

I do that every time it crashes and it always finds at least one corrupted file. Doesn't do anything to alleviate the crashes. My drivers are up to date. Lots of people had problems with crashes at launch, I didn't until they started patching. It's also stopped showing the crash report thing a few patches back.

If you are constantly getting corrupted files your hard drive might be dying.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darox posted:

Needing line of sight is a massive downside.

It's an upside because it means you can control what it's engaging. You can set it up so it's exchanging shots with distant enemies across an empty plain, for example, while your squad is dealing with the group that dropped behind you.

Meanwhile the mortar will ignore those distant enemies to paste your squad as you are trying to fight.

A huge bunch of builds do in fact require you to go close to the enemy.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 2, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

And like what's going on with these civilians only costing 25 credits when they're killed but somehow it's worth losing 15 helldivers to extract them??

What do you think a Helldiver is worth

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Everything has their own upsides and downsides. Like I love the AC, but the long and frequent reload plus the need for a backpack slot is a real pain. If I was bringing it I really want other squad mates to bring other stuff to kill smaller targets.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

If they just liked using X, they wouldn't be posting about how X is good due to Y scenario. That's an argument for usefulness, not fun.

Quasars are good vs bots, by the way. It's just nonsense to list striders and devastators as things it's good against.

The only bots that are too small for AC to be good against are things best handled with an accurate primary or an AoE stratagem. Unless you're talking bugs, in which case I'm running GL/machinegun.

The point isn't that the AC isn't good against them, the point is that I have to stand still to reload every five shots, and I want to focus on shooting worthwhile targets. This is a large downside you can't just ignore.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

No hulk is going to let you stand in view and charge a quasar without delivering a rocket to your face.

You charge while you are in cover and aim as you come out of it. Or stun it or have your team distract it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jeremor posted:

At what difficulty do the automaton gunships start showing up?

I just had a game where they appeared on Hard.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The laser dog is boring though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The railgun just seems like a fundamentally boring weapon to me so I don't really mind it getting nerfed, or even just removed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Splitting up is mostly a matter of how good you are at running away/evading patrols.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Assuming this works for the supply pack, this is going to lead to some very fun times with the grenade launcher.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Given you have to unlock every difficulty level one by one for public matchmaking, a low level pubbie that appears in a high difficulty match probably knows what they are doing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dyz posted:

you can bring your friends to higher difficulty levels

That's why I specified pubbie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Finicky guns are good actually because it feels great when you finally get good with them and can nail your targets every time. If every gun lets you twitch aim hitscan headshots with ease it would suck.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

autocannon sentry will just sit there and waste all its ammo trying to destroy fabricators and it makes me mad

I've actually seen it destroy a fab once. Used all the ammo though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think conceptually the current railgun is just bad because it doesn't come with the teamplay complications that the other guns do. The quasar is more interesting because it has the "put it away and wait for it to cool down" mechanic, the AC is interesting for the explosions and the weird reload management, EATs is interesting because everyone can use it. The AMR forces you to ADS. With the railgun once you master the charge it's just a pinpoint accurate kill button with no downsides apart from pure stats. If the railgun is good, then it's boring good, so it being good directly harms the game. Every player that switches away from the quasar or the EATs to a railgun is reducing the dynamism and visual flair of the game. Boring-but-effective is actually worse for the game than "useless".

If they want to unnerf the railgun they need a pretty radical rethink. Like, I dunno, make it only strip armour without doing damage, so you need someone else to attack. Make it throw the shooter off their feet. Or make it the ammo hoggiest of ammo hogs. Stuff like that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 20, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your support weapon doesn't have to be anti-heavy. Stalwart pairs decently with something like the eruptor, or the AC sentry, or if you want to run and gun and focus purely on dealing with hunters etc.

The laser cannon is a shoot-robots-in-the-eye tool.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The problem is on bugs you really need either the quasar, EAT, or recoilless to take out chargers and BTs, there's nothing else that can do it fast and reliably with more or less constant uptime. It limits your options a lot, I can just never see being able to take something like the stalwart unless I had as primary that could take out heavy armour. Same with bots in that the AC is just head and shoulders the most efficient unless you really need a backpack.

You have the rest of your squad.

You don't need *everyone* on anti-heavy. That's a recipe for a buttfucking by hunters, berserkers, or jetpack assault raiders. If you have a stalwart you can always grab an EATs dropped by someone else, anyway.

Also if I am going off on my own to stealth an objective, heavy enemies are usually less of a threat than light enemies that can keep up with me.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 20, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you use your mechs judiciously, by the time they run out of ammo your buddies' support weapon call ins will be off cooldown so you can get alternative gear.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's a thing because one player can lock down half the map, shooting drop ships, dropping orbitals, or hitting stuff in the back, all in almost complete safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Apparently the striders can hit the generators without anyone on the helipad, so maybe the answer is actually that you want someone on the helipad to take out their top turret asap, or to drop smoke, or something like that.