Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

megane posted:

Chargers are just way too numerous for what they are. You don't put 3 of the same puzzle miniboss in every fight. The necessity to fit massive amounts of anti-armor into every single build, always, to the point where anything that doesn't punch through the heaviest armor in the game feels like a waste of a slot, was a big annoyance in HD1, and it seems like HD2 is the same way.

You could also just make them charge through a minefield - it's one of the cheapest strategems and can be bought at a very low level. As it turns out, chargers are not terribly well-armored on their underside!

Although in my experience with public players, minefields are often much more dangerous to the team than to the enemy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Eschatos posted:

Is it not just like the recoilless where you can absolutely run it solo, but it's much faster to reload with a buddy? Seems like a less big deal when the weapon has a magazine.

I mean, you can run recoilless solo - but it's definitely a weapon that wants a team loader. The reload time is very, very long and doesn't make it terribly suited to landing killshots on big targets or dealing with multiple targets. I'd even go so far as to say if you won't have a buddy help you reload, you might as well take the single-shot anti-tank launcher instead - each drop contains two of them so you can fire one off, pick up the other, and fire that off much faster than you'd be able to fire the recoilless twice.

By comparison, while the autocannon doesn't have the same levels of armor penetration as the recoilless it is much, much easier to run solo.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 13, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Back Hack posted:

Another thing mobility > armor protection. Light is the way to go.

All depends on what you're fighting, too. Mobility is king against Terminids, since they do most of their carnage in melee and the few ranged attacks they have can be dodged pretty handily.

By comparison, Automatons deal most of their damage at range (although they do have a few melee blendy boys) so mobility is a little less useful and the ability to endure shots makes the difference between being able to heal and stay in the fight or mashing the reinforcement button and hoping a teammate's able to deploy a beacon before they get murderized.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gosh, I forgot how lovely pubbie players are. Just ran a set of two standard missions on normal with a group of randos, and on the second defense blitz mission I collected some samples as we walked around trivializing the mission with sentries. But then when evac came I apparently made the stupid mistake of going straight for it instead of collecting the last common samples.

Host decided to shoot me in the head when I was in the Pelican, so that also meant I dropped my samples and they got all of one. That also means they denied themselves the extra XP and money for having Helldivers alive on evac.

They then kicked me before I could even see the results screen.

Nice tantrum, I guess? I mean, I still got XP, money, and medals for completing the mission so it's not like they did any active harm to me. Just disappointing to see people be manbabies over a handful of samples (that they denied themselves because they did the real manly thing and shot me).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nuebot posted:

Finally played last night, fun game. It really does play like the first one but with a different point of view. My daily challenge thing was to kill 20 scouts and I didn't manage a single one, is there any easy way to find out what you're looking for, for that kind of thing? Also; any pro-tips for earning SC? I managed to nab an extra 20 out of nowhere during one of the missions but didn't see how while running around in all the chaos.

Scouts Walkers spawn with a decent amount of frequency even on Normal difficultly Automaton missions, and they will die to a single Autocannon round to the cupola regardless of angle. With this strat, I easily farmed 20 in the course of a single mission (being able to insta-gib them from a vast distance before the rest of your teammates can blink does allow you to hog a lot of kills).

If you don't have access to the autocannon yet, three to the cupola with the anti-material rifle will work regardless of angle, but one to the rear will also do the trick.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 14, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sometimes. I had one for kill 3 chargers yesterday and only my kills counted.

Also worth noting that it only counts random charger spawns and not the scripted chargers for the "Kill Chargers" objectives.

skaianDestiny posted:

Has anyone used the HMG emplacement?

Bandire posted:

I gave the HMG emplacement a shot too, and it doesn't feel like it does more damage than the starter LMG. Also the turning speed is just painful. You'd be better off with the chaingun turret or several other options that don't tie you down.

It does A LOT more damage than the starter LMG and is a very stable firing platform - it will absolutely shred through light to medium chaff enemies and will put the hurt on larger enemies if you hit exposed/weak spots. The trick is placing it properly, though and that is a real challenge. Once you get a feel for that, a well-placed HMG Emplacement is worth its weight in gold. I imagine that it synergizes very well with the deployed shield bubble...

(One lesson I've learned - when you're extracting, wait after starting the extraction to see where the spawns are coming from, then place accordingly. On lower difficulties, enemies will generally only come at you from that direction. Pick a spot that has a good field of view with relatively few obstructions, and get to shreddin').

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I kick people who run off solo in my game, if you want to play by yourself then play solo.

Quick answer: It's wrong.

Longer answer: This game has enough cancer from players TKing you or kicking you for extremely spurious reasons, don't be that guy. The game has a lot of ways to teach players to stick with the group if they can't grok it solo (especially if the map has a Stalker Lair), and the players who can grok it solo are goldmines of requisition/super credits/medals/XP because they're helping to get you through the mission much more quickly and gathering resources the group might not have had time otherwise to get.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 14, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

oh man i know terminator vietnam is dope but let me also introduce you to bug vietnam on meridia. absolutely terrifying to be walking through a jungle and 3 of your squad get insta killed by stalkers

I had someone drop out of a Challenging mission and it turned out the game spawned two stalker nests on that mission.

It's the one time I never made it to extraction. Fuckers deal a ton of melee damage, do their damndest to attack you from behind, and can take quite the beating - with two nests, they respawned faster than I could kill them. Always prioritize blasting their nests ASAP (note: Stalker Nests do not show up on your map until you visually identify them via direct line of sight, unlike most other nests/hives which have giant red areas to alert you that you're near them).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Man, bots really do not like the Marksman Rifle. It takes down most of the chaff with one shot easily, and even some of the more dangerous dudes with the rocket launchers only take 2 bullets at most. Obviously it doesn't fare well against the big armored boys, but that's why you bring an Autocannon.

Also tried messing around with a TONK build using the heavy armor with bonus padding, the ballistic shield, and the Defender. Actually not all that bad against the bots - you will barely take a scratch from most common patrols at Diff 4, only needing to prioritize rocket boys because they will do very funny things to you (if they don't kill you outright, they will physic you pretty hard in a hilarious way). The Defender is super-accurate for an SMG too, and you can use it to plink bots from a surprisingly long distance.

My only problem that game was that my teammates murdered more of us with mine strategems than anything else. Oh, and no one brought Anti-Armor so the big guns from halfway across the map had fun sniping us.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

They kind of need to do something about hosts having authority to kick people for no reason. I can't complete a Hard operation to get the next difficulty level unlocked even when:
  • I kill more enemies than the rest of the team combined
  • I do not kill anyone by accident
  • I do not even hit anyone by accident
  • I break all the legs on Chargers to help everyone kill them faster
  • I bring all of the samples to the extraction point that they carelessly left behind when they died
  • Etc.
I come back to the ship, ready to start the third mission and... see that I've been kicked from the game.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

there was a suggestion on the steam forums that kicking people should just be disabled when main objectives are complete or after extract is called

Doesn't really help, they do it when we get back to the ship. The public community in this game is really wearing me down...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

JBP posted:

I just did a hard defence mission and for those saying 380s don't kill anything lmao

Oh they kill things alright.

Your teammates.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fist of Family Values

If you want to go the alliterative route, my ship is the Founding Father of Family Values.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

johnny park posted:

Well the Pelican CAN kill you if it lands on you or if you're under the thrusters, so there's that at least

But they made extra-sure that the door settles down gently to avoid potential Helldiver casualties! I've been smooshed by the door opening before and it was nice enough to mostly kill me instead of outright kill me.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

idiotsavant posted:

Nah AMR is fine vs bots at least until you get the Autocannon, and even then it's ok if you want to run a backpack too.

Iirc it kills scout walkers with 2 shots to the legs or 3? shots to the body, maybe 4. Apparently also takes out hulks if you shoot the cockpit or rear vents, tanks if you shoot the vents some and maybe the turret sides like, a lot? Seems decent as a stopgap until you either start using the autocannon or railgun

Yeah, I think AMR is a bit of an unsung hero. Is it as good as the Autocannon/Railgun in terms of damage? Absolutely not. But it has the same penetration characteristics of the Autocannon (albeit less damage) without taking up a backpack slot. Compared to the Railgun, it also allows you to use a backpack but has a ton more ammo, which can make it handy to have around when Resupply drops have much greater intervals between them and there isn't as much ammo scattered around the maps. It still does work against Automatons because you can use it to shoot off the arms of Hulks.

It should not be your fireteam's only answer to big threats (you really need someone with a recoilless, railgun, or EAT to break armor on parts to enable the AMR to do work on the larger targets just like you would with the Autocannon) but it's still a fine Support weapon.

Now what I want to speak up in favor of is the Guard Dog that uses the AR and not the laser rifle. Comparatively speaking, that thing does not inflict anywhere near as much friendly fire as the laser variant, although it is hungry for Resupply Drops as that's the only way to replenish its ammo short of dropping another backpack. Still very effective at cleaning up chaff though, and again the fact that it is really hard to get it to friendly fire since it's not sweeping a beam across the battlefield is admirable.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CainFortea posted:

While that [Breaker nerfs] would be the easiest way to bring them all in line, I would argue they should bring up the rest of the guns instead.

This is the kind of game where it would be 100% appropriate to just... make everything else better instead of nerfing a single thing. The idea is that we're somewhat fragile spacefolks with access to hilariously powerful weapons and the ability to call down absurdly devastating hellfire from an orbiting spaceship. Making all of the guns more powerful makes them more dangerous to us as well as the bugs/bots!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Between the Autocannon and Dominator I finally feel confident against bots.

Man these scientist extraction missions are so easy with competent players and nearly impossible with newbies. If you’re under level 6ish it seems wise to stick with bug planets since you likely haven’t unlocked the bot centric shooty guns.

They're easier now and are fairly manageable if you are able to clear missions at that difficulty (and understand that Mortar Sentries are OP in that scenario).

The issue was that previously even at Challenging they were dropping hilarious numbers of Hulks of both varieties alongside hordes of Devastators (especially the rocket ones). 1-2 Hulks takes some coordination to manage as a team, now multiply that by 4-5x coming from all different directions with lots of Rocket Devastators that can easily one-shot you and your Sentry emplacements on top of a withering hail of firepower that the regular grunts are churning your way that are really good at throwing off your aim if they so much as graze you. And even when you took out those Hulks, the game did not let up. The rate at which they were dropping new units was completely unmanageable, and you could not find a safe spot to settle down for more than a few seconds because there would always be another group directly behind you.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 19, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Coolness Averted posted:

Hae you ever actually had samples destroyed by strategems or explosions? Usually stuff you can collect survives everything. I've walked into plenty of craters and still found stims, ammo, and samples.

I don't think anything you can collect ever gets destroyed, just rendered uncollectable by accidentally dropping into a death pit or perhaps being carried into the water by a Helldiver that thought they could swim across that small body of water. Even then, I don't think strategems or explosions can physically move any collectable objects.

If you die from overcharging the Railgun in Unsafe Mode it does get destroyed, though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Amuys posted:

Made a silly doodle

Eagle Cluster Bomb is the most supreme technique of any helldiver. Within the blast radius, the user's teamkilling abillities are improved and any bomblet dropped is guaranteed to hit.

1000x this. I can't tell you how many times I've been TK'd by the Eagle Cluster Bomb. I swear to Liberty that in one mission, at least 10 of our total 20 reinforcements were a result of one guy clusterbombing the team and the moron did not seem to make the connection that every time they used it at least one or more teammates wound up dead - I guess they thought killing three bugs was worth it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this poo poo cracks me up, like neither this developer suddenly awash in money nor Sony who's been actively angling to get a successful live service game wouldn't immediately throw cash at server capacity right now. also just assumes all code and infrastructure scales endlessly with server capacity.

anyway I'm sure they'll get it sorted, I doubt they'll get too much higher on player count than what they hit last weekend. maybe like another 10-15%? hopefully they can smooth it out this week and next

The Xbro spouting troll server physics is a classic poo poo cherry on top of the least helpful sundae of all time.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Getting heavy armor functional is probably going to help a lot in terms of making fighting automatons more bearable and make running around in light armor much riskier in general.

I also hope that armor rating also has a positive impact on flinch suffered when you take a shot (especially from automatons) such that the heavier the armor, the less your aim is thrown off the reticle.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Automaton spotted, right right down left right down

They should just auto-destroy the ships of the people with the Top 3 scores in Strategem Hero, it's clear that they are automaton commies with their perfect scores.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Volte posted:

I was excited for this game and bought it and spent most of my 2 hour refund window without even getting into the game a single time so I refunded and will possibly rebuy in the future. It's a shame because I hear such good things about it, but it's really a disaster of a launch. Probably the worst I've ever seen. At least in the previous worst launch I've ever experienced, Diablo 3's launch, I could get in some of the time.

Fun part is - the launch wasn't bad. I actually got a fair amount of play time in the game during its debut week and only started seeing login issues crop up in the past week as it started hitting bonafide viral success metrics.

But it's totally fair if you weren't able to play at all in that 2-hour refund window to get a refund - no harm, no foul. That makes a lot of sense to me, and more power to you for doing right by you.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Diephoon posted:

For bugs: The smallest bugs usually summon, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Defenders do it too. Defenders are the frontal armored ones that will turtle up when you start shooting them. Brood Commanders (the huge non-charger bugs) can summon as well. Not sure about the rest of the bugs.

I've seen every bug except Chargers, Titans, Spewers, and Stalkers summon. In a group of bugs of sufficient size and variety, it can be really hard to stop them from summoning a breach because any one of them could decide to do it, and it might just be the one that's hardest to kill quickly.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Potato Salad posted:

Anyway, the Eagle cluster strike seems way more useful than the gas strike. More uses, larger area, ultimately higher damage.

It depends on what you're going for. Eagle Cluster is quite effective at killing many small things, but it is way less safe when it comes to accidental team kills. Bots/Bugs on higher difficulties do not need any help from you when it comes to chewing through 20 reinforcement tokens and the sheer teamkilling power of the Eagle Cluster increases the odds that you'll wipe. Comparatively, the Gas Strike is a lot safer - while it won't kill all of the enemies instantly (and it will not instantly TK your teammates, as they will have time to stim up to counteract the DoT and heal up), it will kill them (or inflict a fair amount of damage them regardless of how much armor they're toting).

Potato Salad posted:

I think the devs were way too scared of DoT damage. The traditional--and sensible--tradeoff between DoTs like Fire and Poison is that you do work now for higher damage later. That's not happening, though. Fire weapons seem only to barely break even to peer direct damage weapons, if they break even at all. Poison strikes don't have the mojo of even some of the weaker area of effect direct damage strikes.

Fun thing I've noticed - DoT damage ignores Armor. That's why they're a little hesitant to make it super-powerful - otherwise it will become the one-size-fits-all solution to dealing with everything. You can try it yourself with the Flamethrower against a Charger. If you know how to bullfight a Charger, you can kill it with a single tank of flamethrower fuel without needing to break a single piece of Armor on it because both the flame damage and the DoT do not give two shits about its Armor - that damage goes straight to its health. Meanwhile, you still have a flamethrower for dealing with chaff and the burning patches on the ground are really good at area denial, especially when you need to hold a point and the enemy has to go through a chokepoint in order to reach you.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Exodee posted:

It should definitely be one-shotting infantry with a body shot, so you're probably not quite landing your shots. Hell it can even two-shot hulks from the front if you hit the head twice.

But I used the AMR against bugs for my daily instead and it did surprisingly well there as basically a weaker but more mobile autocannon. And with the faster firerate you can even magdump into a charger's behind to kill it without needing to peel off any armor. Still wouldn't take it over an actual AC but at least it's better than I thought it would be.

It has its place. The one advantage it has over taking an AC is that it doesn't take up a backpack slot, so if you want a Guard Dog, a Shield Gen, Supply Pack, or - Liberty forbid - even help a friend by being a team loader, you can do that with the AMR while still having something that can punch through medium armor, reload on the move, and doesn't need to have its ammo supply carefully rationed. It's a very solid workhorse and honestly one of the better early strategems in the game because it remains relevant/flexible across the entire difficulty spectrum.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

johnny park posted:

I think the 380 barrage has a niche in dealing with heavy outposts, or the "destroy airbases" bot missions. They're usually big enough that if you put the ball in the middle, every shot will hit something. But I wouldn't ever bring it just for general purpose and the 120 barrage absolutely sucks

I do love the barrages from a vibe perspective. The 380mm Barrage is just a ton of fun to throw into the middle of a bot base and watch it wreak havoc - it usually takes out a medium/large outpost, but for some reason has issues doing the same thing to a medium/large bug hive. That being said, it feels like they threw a fair amount of troll code into orbital mortar barrages in that if you/teammates are in the possible firing area, it will inexorably drop a round straight on your position which also contributes to them feeling kinda bad.

I did take the L2 upgrade for the cannons, and I feel like having the extra salvo helps the 380mm clear medium/heavy bot outposts much more consistently. If they made the barrages a bit tighter and more consistent, it would help them enormously since like everyone else has pointed out the Eagle is so much more consistent/regular/predictable/reliable in terms of going where you want it to go, and the rearm time on the Eagle is still pretty drat quick by comparison to the orbital barrage cooldowns.

Edit: Like, I don't even know how the devs thought it was remotely balanced that the Eagle gets a 20% reduction to its rearm timer (on top of the timer being shorter than most other cooldowns) when the best every other stratagem gets is a 10% reduction to cooldown. Eagle is just too good, consistent, and has great uptime compared to literally everything else. Orbitals should get reduced cooldown timers across the board (the gatling gets a slightly smaller reduction), imo.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 21, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

People are talking about how every weapon needs to be brought up to the Breaker, but honestly a lot of weapons needs to be brought up to the Liberator because a good chunk of them don't even make it that far. Would be nice if we had some actual variety instead of "best choice", "ok if you want to use it I guess" and "don't bother, immediately feels awful to use".

It's insanely boring that every mission over lvl 5 is Breaker -> Shield -> Railgun -> Orbital Laser. That sort of monotonous meta is poison to me personally.

I feel what you're saying. I actually tend to prefer the Defender over the Breaker if I'm going up against bots: it's really goddamn accurate and controllable on top of the rounds hitting hard, so it's very good at sweeping through a bot formation at roughly weakpoint level and mowing through them with exceptional uptime and ammo economy. It is honestly my favorite weapon in the game.

Very hard to recommend anything other than the Breaker against bugs, though. It just does so much work that it's hard to pass over it in favor of literally anything else. I might take the Knight if there's a need to have someone carry an SSSD and there are Stalkers on the map - nothing else has the sheer "oh poo poo" damage output against a Stalker than the Knight but goddamn that recoil.

As for stratagems... yeah. I mean, that is basically solo_diver_loadout.txt right there, and for good reason. Survivable, can handle threats both large and small, and has a Get Out Of Jail Free Card in the Orbital Laser. Unless you have a group on comms, it is just much safer to take a self-sufficient loadout like that given the non-zero chance that your teammates are going to gently caress off over on the other side of the map, or none of them bring any kind of anti-large tools to handle things like Breakers/Titans/Hulks/Tanks and fail to stick with you and your somehow more-specialized anti-large loadout.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Will honestly admit to being blown away when we activated a SAM site as the secondary objective that it actually functioned and obliterated every attempted bot drop that occurred near it. Nice contrast from today where I loaded and activated an artillery battery and... did not get an artillery strike stratagem (even though you normally do get one).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

There are still lots of strategies for dealing with chargers, the playerbase has just gravitated towards Railguns because you don't need any support to handle most large targets with it, and in a game where you might be playing with somewhat-unreliable pubbies and even-more-unreliable matchmaking it feels bad to rely on them and have them fall through (or not be able to join, or drop mid-game, etc.).

Flamethrowers can kill chargers pretty handily without needing to rely on any sort of armor break to do so, you just need to be good at bullfighting them. The advantage to the flamethrower is that unlike the Railgun, it is just as happy mulching through chaff as it is melting a charger and is great at area-denial, but the lack of range makes it a deathtrap against spewers and bile titans.

The basic bitch minefield absolutely fucks up chargers hilariously quickly, and honestly might be the best stratagem for handling multiple chargers at once. The problem is, mines are just as dangerous to you and your teammates and most pubbie players are horrendous at placing minefields effectively (yes, please throw a minefield down in the middle of that hive/outpost, I'm sure it won't cause any issues for us trying to retrieve samples).

EATs are a terrific option as well. You can kill a charger with an EAT arguably faster than you can with a railgun (one EAT shot will blow off the leg armor as opposed to two railgun shots), but it doesn't scale as well when multiple chargers are in play thanks to only having two shots per drop (although the cooldown timer on that drop is very short, it doesn't play well with prolonged engagements). EATs (and by extension the recoilless) are much more team-friendly weapons by comparison to the railgun. On a hit, both weapons will - in a single shot - blow off way more armor on a large target that exposes big weakpoints for your teammates to shoot than the railgun does.

Someone also mentioned earlier that even the humble AMR does work against chargers, too. While it can't break leg armor on its own, if you can bullfight a charger it's still quite effective when you magdump the AMR into its rear end and unlike the autocannon you do not need to sit still when reloading the AMR (which is a godsend against a charger).

Needless to say - even compared to the Autocannon and the Railgun - not all of the weapons are garbage. What is garbage is a meta mindset that closes off your brain to other, viable strategies because you've willingly blinded yourself to them. You and I both know you're better than that.

Even the Autocannon and the Railgun have some pretty substantial drawbacks - the Autocannon takes up a backpack slot, requires you to reload standing in place, and doesn't actually help the team break heavy armor to expose weaknesses. The Railgun has limited ammo, so it's not something you want to use to help clear out chaff. Additionally, it's not a one-shot solution for armor breaks - it needs to hit the same spot multiple times before getting a break, which its limited ammo supply works against. Also, if you're trying to get as much damage as you can out of it you run the risk of blowing up both yourself and the weapon. Finally, it has a fairly substantial cooldown timer - so if you overcharge it and blow it up you are poo poo out of luck if it's not ready for redeployment, whereas no other weapon gets destroyed even if you should blow yourself up with it (so you can always recollect it upon redeployment).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Alright, I do have a stratagem/weapon that sucks:

The ballistic shield.

At face value, it does what it says on the tin - you hold it and it reduces the damage you take from ranged fire (and maybe melee damage? I haven't tried it against bugs because it's better to just murder them en masse at range instead of letting them get close enough to hit you).

However - because it is a held object, the code for holding the shield is the same as the code for holding the SSSD or other objects - in other words, when you get physics'd/ragdolled, you will drop the shield.

Also because it is a held object, that means if you want to use a primary while holding it up you must take an SMG. No Breakers or Liberators for you, unless you want to be forced into using your pistol.

At first, it seems like a really great thing to take against the bots given the amount of firepower they put downrange. But it scales very poorly with ascending difficulty against the bots, because at higher difficulties, there are greater numbers of bots that shoot rockets. If you've ever had the pleasure of fighting bots with rockets, then you know that any rocket hit will ragdoll you - which on top of sending you flying, also forces you to drop the shield (if you have it in hand).

Finally.- it takes up a backpack slot. There are a lot of competitive options for backpack slot, including the alarmingly more effective shield generator (which doesn't take up any of your hands to use, is always on when it can be, and doesn't get dropped whenever you get sent flying).

That's a pretty safe thing to call garbage, imo.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 21, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fangz posted:

I do wonder who the heck is setting up those illegal broadcasts on bug worlds.

Howlin' Mad Murphy's gotta get his broadcast out there somehow.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 21, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good guide as to which strategems/weapons/armor/etc I should be unlocking? I'm not very good at following metas in great depth and I usually just sort of do as the goons broadly suggest.

Weapons:
  • Defender - SMG: Don't let the fact that it's an SMG fool you - high damage per shot, low recoil, and a middle-of-the-road firing rate results in an automatic weapon that is surprisingly effective at midrange due to it being very easy to control even in full-auto. Plus, you'll never be inconvenienced if you wind up being the one that has to pick up the object for certain objectives, as you can use an SMG while carrying said object. Also, SMGs are really good at backpedaling and firing at hordes since your Helldiver can walk/run one way and point the SMG behind them when firing from the hip.

Stratagems:
  • Anti-Material Rifle: This is just a solid workhorse of a Support weapon that can pull its weight no matter the foe at most difficulties thanks to being able to penetrate medium armor, having good damage per shot (albeit not as high as the Autocannon or Railgun), and being able to reload while on the move. Plus, it doesn't require a teammate or you to wear a backpack for reloads so it allows you to be pretty self-sufficient/more flexible in your loadout.
  • Mortar Sentry: Easily the least fussy sentry when it comes to placement since it fires at enemies indirectly, meaning you can place it pretty much anywhere (ideally in a very safe/high spot out of view of most enemies) and it will do work. Very good on any sort of defense mission, or even used as part of an assault against Bots. A little less useful against bugs, since their desire to munch on you means that there is a non-zero chance your mortar sends an explosive care package at the bug trying to eat you and frags you as well.
  • Rocket Sentry: What if the Autocannon Sentry didn't have an rear end turn rate and tried to prioritize armored targets as opposed to the first thing it sees? That's what the Rocket Sentry does in a nutshell. Explosive rockets mean that its projectiles will never bounce off heavy armor and it might even chunk off some of that armor to expose weak spots. Just don't stand behind it when it's firing unless you like getting knocked over by backblast.

Armor:
Armor is bugged right now - the armor rating has no impact on your ability to take hits or lack thereof (all of the armors functionally have the same armor rating, meaning 100 - although I think extra padding does work as intended and makes you a bit sturdier), but running speed/stamina regen stats work as intended on armor. Therefore, the best armor is whatever light armor has the secondary bonuses you like the most (ranging from +stims and longer duration stims, +grenades, recoil reduction, coin flip to survive a mortal injury, lower visibility to enemies, recon pings, etc.).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 21, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Owl Inspector posted:

what’s the point of the machine gun sentry compared to gatling?

Your teammates stand a better chance of not getting hit by the MG sentry when it sweeps across them to kill the little bug right next to them.

(It is also a fair bit more ammo efficient in exchange for having less DPS).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Potato Salad posted:

Weird tangent, but I've played Paranoia but slightly twisted, where you're a team of low-level Inquisition agents in Warhammer 40K, and each agent of course has various objectives from persons inside the Inquisition as well as totally-well-meaning-not-cults-trust-us-bro. It's stunning how well Paranoia works for really dark humor 40k poo poo.

Yes, the inspiration for mixing the two was Darktide. I need to bug the DM about doing it again.

You're literally describing first edition Dark Heresy. You play a party of ultimately-expendable low-tier Acolytes for an Inquisitor (who may or may not care to ever interact with you personally) and have to navigate the crapsack bureaucracy of the Imperium in order to sniff out the enemy within. Damage is high, health is low, and characters (start) kind of weak. Oh, if one of you is a Psyker there is a non-zero chance when you use your powers that you end up summoning a daemon (which usually results in the classic Total Party Kill).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Icedude posted:

Is the Tesla Tower any good? It seems like it'd be great for closing off a direction from bugs, but I only ever see people taking gatling/mg turrets instead.

Tesla Tower does indeed gently caress up bugs. I have to play around with it some more, but you can do some weird/interesting placements for it compared to other turrets. Bugs' natural tendency to want to smash it up does work against them, but you don't exactly want it out in the open in case a spewer comes through (since spewers can wreck it from outside of its attack range). You might be able to hide it behind taller cover (something that would obstruct most other turrets save the Mortar turret) and as long as the lighting rod is sticking out above the cover, it has an attack angle.

It also fucks up teammates, too. The attack radius is a little unclear and it can just kind of vaporize you out of nowhere... So you want to place it somewhere where you won't be running through constantly (so, not near your last line of defense which contains you/teammates), but also not in the area that you will likely be calling down a shitload of Eagles/Orbitals because they will destroy the tower before it can do some work. But once it is placed well and gets going, it will just keep zapping bugs.

Edit: Had a great Space Station 13 moment when I joined a Challenging game with lower level players (Level 5 and under, I was Level 24). They were 10 minutes into the mission and had like, 2 reinforcements left. They were running around and dying as I dropped into what would appear to be a raging firefight, but I managed to quarterback them out of the hole they dug themselves into with my railgun (they had nothing that could easily handle a combination of Hulks/Devastators/Striders). Another mid-level player joined after I did, and they and I went around doing all the sub-objectives and outposts while the lowbies did the main objectives. It actually worked out pretty well! It felt nice to feel competent enough to drag some lowbies out of the fire and help them get lots of XP/Req/samples.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 23, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Durzel posted:

Bought the Slugger, disappointed. Admittedly I am comparing it to the Breaker, but I had assumed it would be better at dealing with medium armoured enemies, but it just isn't, or it doesn't feel like it anyway. So much for it having a hidden "Medium Armor Penetration" trait.

Yes, but have you considered the fact that if you're rolling with the Slugger that you can call yourself a Slugga Boy? And if you have a buddy with one as well, you can call yourself Slugga Boyz?

But yeah, I imagine it would be better for bots given that Devastators have Medium armor and sit at range, and Hulks also have Medium armor in spots like their arms so you can shoot those off pretty handily with it.

Internet Explorer posted:

I didn't realize the Tesla tower was so quick to TK when I first ran into one. I thought it was only bounces off bugs. I spent a couple of reinforcements trying to get my gear. Oops.

Going prone/crawling is the key. Like in real life, lightning is far less likely to target you if you're not the tallest thing in range.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny how half of this thread is people complaining about pubbies. Why don't all of you guys like, link up and play together? I've only played one round with pubbies and you'd have to pay me to do it again.

There is something magical about jumping into a game full of random pubbies and seeing order arise out of chaos, doubly so if no one is using voice comms. It arguably captures the spirit of the game better than a group of friends, although groups of friends are definitely much more able to tackle higher difficulty missions (and are less likely to be stupid salty about it when things inevitably go FUBAR).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Harlock posted:

Most of my random experience has been pleasant. One time of someone trying to team kill during extraction but that's one poo poo person in the sea of good players.

That happened to me when I denied a pubbie who I shall sarcastically refer to as "His Majesty" the opportunity to run around and collect 1-2 more basic samples at the end of a defense mission by jumping into the Pelican.

Nevermind the fact that I already had 2+ samples, so His Majesty actually denied Himself more samples by being a lovely person and killing me when I was sitting in the Pelican (as my samples dropped on the ground below the Pelican and were not able to be retrieved).

Edit: I mean, you aren't running Defense missions for the opportunity to grab a ton of samples. You're running them because they have a good time-to-XP/Req ratio, are quite easy, and are a great way to quickly round off a set of operations for Warbonds.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 23, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Had a great moment with a pubbie yesterday. I'm taking an outpost, but I do take a death and the pubbie is helpful enough to be nearby and they drop a redeploy beacon so I'm close to my stuff - nice!

Except when I go for my stuff, I notice that my railgun is missing. Looking around, I see that the pubbie has taken my *used* railgun and is using it to plink chaff robots.

I feel bad - I don't want them to have to put up with a *used* railgun, especially one that's probably caked with the blood of my previous Helldiver. I look at my cooldowns, and see that I can summon down another Railgun from on high. Great! I'll get them a fresh, new Railgun and take back my old, used one.

So I drop the beacon. Right on their feet. If they're in 3rd person view, they will definitely be able to see the giant blue beam peering up towards the sky, right at their feet.

Except I guess they're not in 3rd person view. They keep trying to plink garbage bots with the Railgun, merrily oblivious to the gift from Liberty Claus that's coming right for them.

Timer ends. Hellpod drops. Pubbie is crushed underneath the weight of its Liberty and Generosity.

I take the new railgun. The used one has a fair amount of spent ammo and it has the blood of multiple Helldivers caking it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sushibandit posted:

To be fair, the extracts (kill 150/whatever) take all of 2-3 minutes even at the highest difficulty, and are by far the fastest and easiest way to farm Medals and Req and XP. So it makes perfect sense for people to smash their faces against that for a handful of hours to hit level 20 so every stratagem and a decent chunk of their warbonds can be unlocked to achieve loadout flexibility.

At least you'll only ever get common samples on those missions no matter the difficulty, so eventually even the farmers will have to branch out and start playing "normal" missions to finish upgrading their SD.

Now the ones who keep farming nothing but extracts after level 20 without understanding why it was a good idea for a little while but not forever, are also the type who makes noise on social media about no content and dead game and will jump to their next FOTM soon enough. I blame content creators for this mindset, mostly. It's their job so of course they're gonna minmax and chase efficiency, which skews the impression of the game for those watching.

You can always tell who these people are because when you come back to their ship, none of the modules have been upgraded whatsoever despite them being a fairly high level. I feel very sad that they haven't spent any time trying to make their Super Destroyer even more Super.