Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
To be honest Arrowhead have been making top down coop games with all the inherent limitations since Magicka. There's no telling how smooth the switch to third person combat will feel, but here's hoping they knock it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Going through the tutorial my reaction to the character movement was that it definitely feels lethargic, so hopefully they get the vehicles and mechs in soon. After fixing matchmaking and crashes of course.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Getting kicked after completing a mission but before the full 3 are done seems completely fine to me. If they want to make room to play with a friend, why should they be obligated to do the entire 3 missions with you? That's like an hour of game time.

Kicking you for spurious reasons during a mission is obviously unacceptable and should require a vote or limitations based on time spent in mission.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Speaking of poor camaraderie, I got my first 3 super samples from a mission and told the team about it. 10m later and we're boarding evac while under duress like normal, except one of the guys calls in a cluster bomb on the VTOL as we're boarding. I managed to get on it because I was first, but everybody else got annihilated and wiped out 40 other samples.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Endgame in HD1 was just sprinting everywhere, mechs were a liability. In this game I bet they would still be a liability unless they give every mech the nuclear eject from TF2.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I really like about this game is there is no massive grind to get usable gear, it doesn't hand you a lovely feeling gun that's 20% as powerful as it's final form, no randomized stats to grind out, no "kill 75 enemies with headshots with this weapon" to unlock a scope that makes getting headshots feel less lovely and if you want to try something new out you can just grab your friends weapons when they "accidently" die.

This is actually how samples worked in HD1. They upgraded your weapons and strategems. It was a real grind not only unlocking everything but making the weapons better too.

For those of you who love the jetpack, it used to have no cooldown too, just limited fuel. But that was balanced better for isometric play.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
It's funny that in training Brasch's lines are canned recordings, if you stop to read the fine print monoliths a technician pipes up over the intercom and awkwardly tells you to please hurry up.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I like the Dominator (JAR-5) and the Stalwart together. The Dominator is a one size fits all weapon, you can click the little guys once or the big guys a bunch of times and both die. It's got great range too, I take out the spore obj with it all the time. It just has low ROF and mag size so you need more when you get overwhelmed.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I do miss the Cyborg theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEtwaDPxqB0

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Mulva posted:

I've been playing around, and it's not like the Walker is bad at killing robots. It just can't really take many hits back. If you drop their asses quick and just blow your rockets you generally make them pay real real bad for taking you out....and sometimes that's all you need.

Yeah I agree it's fine on Automatons in terms of damage. The real issue is that Rocket Devastators have extraordinary range and a single salvo from them will kill you. It's really just too dangerous to try sniping them because you only have a few seconds before they'll return fire.

Vehicles might be a bit safer on bot missions since they'll be lower to the ground, but I have a feeling they may still end up as death traps for Devastator salvos.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
The RR and EAT being the same damage wise in HD2 is kinda weird, because in HD1 you could easily tell the penetration difference on cyborgs when the rifle would blow up a tank from any angle and the EAT wouldn't.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Had a crash today the moment I fired an EAT at a Bile Titan. If the games are consistently crashing after awhile it might be a memory leak with particle effects or just entities in general.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
The mech is the best answer to shrieker nests. You can clear your way to the tower safely including any breaches then just put 2-3 rockets into it.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

novaSphere posted:

Exosuits still kill themselves with rockets sometimes :(

I think you're right. Their fix was a bit too stupidly simplistic. Somethings still more wrong with it than just putting rockets into the ground.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

The Kingfish posted:

They need to allow teammates to help reload a RR/AC even if they aren’t wearing the backpack. It makes no sense narratively or mechanically.

It made more sense when all the players were on one screen and a charger running onto screen required an immediate response.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I played with some French guys who spent the entire time laughing and having fun so now I think every Frenchman is chill. Shame about those Germans.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Is there a word for the voice affectation the Democracy Officer is doing? It's like he bites off the end of every word. Maybe just "the Lance Reddick"?

"A true servant of freedom needs no companion, save for Damsel Democracy herself."

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Now what? Uninstall?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I've heard of people wearing unreleased armor sets they've hacked in.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
You can take the Stalwart if you take EATs too. EATs are perfect for the highest difficulties because even when you reinforce and can't do a corpse run you're still at 100% effectiveness.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
That's where your teammates come in. No one helldiver should be expected to carry the entire AT burden.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I think the one before last took like 10 days for me to get the medals.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
lmao apparently the new eagle upgrade causes cluster bomb to drop an extra regular airstrike bomb, so now clusters can destroy fabricators

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I don't doubt you what with one of the best of the new upgrades straight up not working but the cluster could always destroy fabs if you got lucky and one went straight in the vent so are you sure it isn't that?

I was just repeating what I heard, but after confirming it ingame it definitely drops a regular bomb right on the beacon. Since it's just one bomb you really gotta land it on top of what you want to blow up though.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
It's kinda humorous to think about if the super destroyers actually worked as depicted.

You have barely deiced 18 year olds saunter out of their pods and get "command" of the destroyer telling it where to go, but really they just get to pick from a few preselected options. They choose GO TO BUG PLANET on the map and then the super destroyer heads there. In reality the shipmaster retains command of the super destroyer crew and the democracy officer retains command of the war effort.

The shipmaster and democracy officer practice their most obsequious lines on the helldivers, but once they're in the pods and gone, the two go take a smoke break or go to the head. Whenever the divers complete an objective the democracy officer leans over to the mic and intones "Outstanding work helldivers. Super Earth will remember you forever." and then takes a bite out of his Liberty Burger while watching Super Earth Confidential.

The crew is relatively safe as long as they don't get hit by alien planetary defenses, and once their tour is over they can go back to living in the "idyllic" suburbs on Super Earth. Or into the biorepurposer vats I guess.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

turn off the TV posted:

iirc effectively nobody in the seaf or helldivers has ever actually set foot on super earth. they're all drawn from the colonial holdings

That seems crazy that they don't offer a carrot like that, but it would make sense when you think about the scale of a galactic empire.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
So the crossbow is completely worthless to buy? There was a single post a few pages ago that mentioned it doesn't even blow up bug holes.

I bought the barrage spread reduction upgrade and I actually kinda like the barrages now. The 120mm is nearly so accurate you can actually use it reactively rather than just preemptively.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Nybble posted:

I know it’s a very loud game, but it’s a complete shock when you turn around and there’s a tank or hulk tapping your shoulder and saying hello

It's honestly one of the funnier things in the game and should never go away

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Why would gas work on bots? Unless...

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Even as someone who tries to keep track of mortars when they're deployed, the idea that I would be kicked if I died to them is extremely petty, lol.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
All the spear is doing is checking for occlusion to specified hitboxes, this is why you can only lock onto fabs if the front door hitbox is in "view", typically meaning above the ground from your angle. Trees will also block LOS. This is also why a hulk waddling around perpendicular to you will have a long back and forth lock time. Other hitboxes are blocking your line to the hitbox the spear needs for the full 1.5s or whatever it is.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
An AC user can take on any amount of gunship towers with gusto and aplomb.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I used the Adjudicator for a week and got used to it, but I went back to the Dominator today and boy does it feel good to be back to a weapon that's so effective. Its only problem is it won't stagger a stalker in your face.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I took a screenshot of a flying glowing blue thing that kept turning invisible, thinking it was an Illuminate Scout, but upon closer inspection of the screenshot it's just a flying insect of some kind. :argh:

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Sagebrush posted:

I don't feel any urge to buy the next warbond. Nothing in it seems like a real gotta-have. Maybe the baby quasar cannon would be fun? idk

I feel the same way. I only really like running weapons with AP 3 or higher, and I'd pick the Scorcher over the new plasma one unless there's something I'm missing.

At least they're not sticking All Terrain Boots in this warbond to go with the snow theme since it's already free.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah that post isn't very reassuring. I already didn't use the eruptor because I hated the handling on the thing. Now without its biggest selling point it's trash. At the very least it needs to pop bile spewers and devastators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah I wear heavy armor all the time just for the aesthetics. Go ahead and call extraction, I'll be there in a minute.