Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
no vehicles, especially the mech suit, on release makes me sad. they added a lot of variety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone done cross party between PC and PS5? Some friends have this on PC but I prefer to use my PS5 if possible

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
well at least the shitfest over the login caps give me time to mull over to get this on PC or PS5

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone on controller got a suggested acceleration settings? I can't quite get mine to feel right, I would think someone on reddit or something would post what the equivalent setting is to match the standard COD aim curve but I can't find poo poo

I might just give up and set it to 0 acceleration speed and go straight linear

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has anyone successfully resolved the issue where a player's steam name is longer than 16 characters (PSN max apparently) and thus it is impossible to be seen by PSN players, or see PSN players on the social tab?

Its an incredibly bizarre bug that really puts a cramp in our crossplay friend group. Changing a users steam name to a shorter name doesn't propagate into HellDivers2, it retains the original steam name and is thus too long.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Phenotype posted:

I burned another $40 to play this from the comfort of my couch, and what in the absolute gently caress? It doesn't bring my progression across to PS5? The Steam version wouldn't let me play until I went through Captcha Hell to link it to my Playstation account! It never even occurred to me to check, because why would I need to do all that if I wasn't creating The Helldivers Account Linked To My Playstation Profile?

I don't think they do refunds so I played a couple hours anyway, and man, I feel a lot more vulnerable on a controller. I don't know how you play without being able to whip the mouse around to target all the little bugs that rush you. I also wish there was a better solution to push-to-talk than using the PS5 mic button, cause it brings up a little Playstation mute notice every time you press it.

In the notification settings of your PS5 you can turn off the stupid mute notification banner. But honestly the natural noise canceling on the PS5 mic is pretty good, unless you have another person talking in the room or a screaming child, you can trust the voice activation.

The lack of cross progression does suck, the devs have said they want to implement cross progression and it is scheduled to 'come soon'. =\

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
yea the flamethrower sucks visually and effectively :( in game about killing bugs an awesome flamethrower is a must have! plus it has great friendly fire scares potential.

Aliens Fireteam had a great feeling flamethrower, we need one in HD2.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like the assisted reload mechanic is something that didn't really carry over well from the first game. It SOUNDS COOL, and well it is cool but I've never seen it be used in practice.

In the first game, the top down perspective forced everyone to be relatively close to one another, so it was never a big effort to assisted reload, since you are just a screen away. But now poo poo gets so chaotic, so fast and you have to constantly be moving to avoid AOE bugs or 3 chargers ect its a quick death sentence to slow down and link up that close with someone

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This explains some of the seeming inconsistencies we're seeing. Would be nice if the weapon stats said how weapons actually perform.

This isn't a bad system but the weapon stats need to expose this, AND OR they need a in game enemy faction glossary to tell you what enemy has what armor, I think the first game had this. Or just make it HEAVY/MEDIUM/LIGHT penetration/armor

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 2, 2024

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they could have just ripped the sound from HD 1 and instead somehow did even worse

I wouldn't be surprised if they left a reference to a placeholder sound effect in the code or something and that it gets fixed in a patch soon because lol

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you don't fight bots often DO NOT GO RIGHT ON OVER AT THE SAME DIFFICULTY YOU STOMP BUGS AT!!!!!!!

Yea ok so what your hot poo poo at killing rank 7-9 bugs, bots are very different. its like a whole new set of habits as a player to do well. Start at low difficulty and work your way up.

I used to hate bots too but after starting back at rank 5 for a while and slowly going back up its now a ton of fun. use personal shields, use the deploy-able shield bubble

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
maybe if it literally deflect bot missiles back at them like a jedi lightsaber and had a wild rear end 240 degree arc or something

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tom Tucker posted:

People who don’t clear the map confuse me. I’m here to kill bugs not hide from them. The game is at its most fun when poo poo hits the fan and you have to stand your ground and annihilate wave after wave of enemies which you get when you seek out trouble and shoot patrols you could sneak past.

Yes it’s more optimal to do the objectives of you’re trying to get exp or rec slips or something but otherwise just play the game I say.

Sometimes you only have x many minutes to play a quick round? The difference in clearing the map vs just main objectives can be like 20 minutes difference on some maps/mission types

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

sorry, can't do it

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Spookydonut posted:

the stagger on the arc thrower and consistent charge time now means you can stun lock a hulk

dang thats nice, the range nerf is a little sad tho

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

incogneato posted:

Is there a good use for orbital gas strike? Every once in a while I get a huge batch of kills from it, then the next few uses I can't even tell if it's doing damage. I'm not playing on especially high difficulties, if that matters.

It sure evaporates me and my teammates quick enough if we step in the area too soon, though.

Not since they made it cause friendly damage :\

honestly if it just didn't cause friendly damage it could have a niche

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Hate bile spewers?

bring impact grenades. kills those shits one hit, both types of bile spewer too

disregard impact grenade downsides like this terrible bug propaganda

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zwabu posted:

The extra PSN account thing is lovely IMO, but how is it different in any way from having to make Ubisoft and Rockstar accounts to play games from those companies purchased through Steam? Assuming no one gets shut out of a game they bought, the main difference is the awkward handling of letting people play without doing it then enforcing it.

the difference is this is a game people actually want to play

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Retro42 posted:

At a glance, Apex Legends is sitting ~250k players on steam right now(or basically whenever). It's always required an EA games account to play. COD is also up there around 100k, and that's Activision.

Yeah, Sony fumbled the ball on HOW to handle account linking but in reality they are basically a small-fry in the "Account required to play online" ecosystem.

your right and I was just kind of making a joking comparison to Ubisoft but the real answer is pc gamers are big babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sagebrush posted:

I played one Destroy Eggs mission where all four of us brought the mech and called it down at the beginning and that was pretty fuckin cool until we all ran out of ammo five minutes later and the game went back to normal.

I honestly am kinda struggling to understand what the upcoming vehicles -- I think the only confirmed one is the APC that we see destroyed around the maps sometimes -- are supposed to bring to the game. The maps aren't really big enough to require them; a dedicated team can already clear the entire mission of POIs and side objectives with plenty of time remaining. The terrain in this game is generally very hilly and bumpy and often has narrow passageways and stuff, which I can't see a wheeled vehicle navigating very well. Vehicles give you speed at the expense of maneuverability, but there aren't really any places in the maps where you could get up a good speed, and in this game losing maneuverability is a death sentence. If everyone is inside the same vehicle, that means the whole team can get killed by a single tank shot or bile titan spew. And unless we can stand on the roof or shoot out the windows, being inside a truck removes firepower from the team.

Like obviously this is all out my rear end because we haven't seen the implementation, but in my best estimation I just don't see the point. Maybe if they are introduced simultaneously with much larger, flatter maps to use them in? An entirely different mission type where you have to transport stuff point A to point B and it's much further than the team could walk? Idk.

it adds cool new poo poo