Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I gave this the 1€ gamepass try and underneath the UE5 default/asset flip/pokemon ripoff aesthetic and general jank is a surprisingly fun game. A couple of hours in, the exploration is pretty interesting, you want to look for new pals to round out your team and camp, find fast travel points and dungeons and bump into new resources. Keep catching new pals and copies of old pals to level up and unlock tech to build new stuff that completes your missions and levels up your camp so you can fit in more pals to work the buildings you unlocked and so on. The manual resource gathering and storage is a bit tedious but as far as I can tell the crafting lets you pull from storage, not just inventory, and getting better tools and automating resource generation feels good. The quickly increasing complexity of more and more resources and buildings is a little exhausting and I'm starting to regret building my base up on the cramped hill near the beginning. Overall I'm positively surprised since I went in expecting shovelware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

explosivo posted:

Can I play this co-op without a dedicated server? I haven't been able to try it yet to see if there's a direct join option like through Xbox/Steam or if you need to join a server to play with others.

I'm pretty sure you can do up to 4 players with just an invite code

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Scoss posted:

I'm struggling a bit with job priorities, like it seems I need to deploy at least one pal who can only do crafting otherwise none of them will ever come make my stack of 100 arrows, even though half of them are able to craft. If I make a construction task though they all come hauling rear end immediately.

I had hoped that the labor pedestal or whatever would let you assign job priorities but it's just a toggle for forcing everyone to do overtime labor.

If you pick up a pal working in your base (face it and press f), you can carry it around and throw it at whatever task needs doing, it should stay assigned to the task.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

SettingSun posted:

They probably did hand out a ton of copies to streamers. That sort of engagement is of unparalleled value in this age. But that's supported by a game that's good and cool? The internet discussion feedback loop is destructive and annoying though, it's true.

Handing out copies of your bad game means the streamers dunk on it and people know to steer clear, handing out copies of your good game makes people go "wow :eyepop: i want this game!"

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I spent ages dodging attacks and whittling down one of the high-level grass mammoths from on top of my bird and managed to catch him after a long battle, it's pretty neat that your player level isn't that much of a limiting factor and it just lets you catch that level 35 mon at level 17 if you can get it low and get lucky with the balls. You can take on single powerful monsters surprisingly well if you're good at dodging, but your damage will be rear end.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The NPC AI and pathfinding can get kind of fucky occasionally, in combat too and mobs sometimes clip into the geometry or charge inside walls etc. Movement animations have some visual jank when climbing and many of the sound effects have unbalanced volume levels or just sound like *placeholder sound, replace later*. I had some problems retrieving ingots from my smelter earlier too, but on the whole the gameplay and progression feels pretty light on annoying jank that'd mess with the exploration and monster collecting gameplay and progression.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm glad I turned off dropping your inventory when you die, I love poking my nose into higher level areas and getting my poo poo kicked in when a pal or an npc looks at me funny. I guess you never lose your pal gear so you can just stock up on flyers to do naked corpse runs through the air once you hit that point, if you're playing on a server with preset difficulty sliders or just enjoy the added tension in singleplayer.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
One QoL thing I wish for is toggling instead of holding F for manual crafting and building. Let me press F once and go for a piss while my dude makes a hundred arrows, there's no reason for me to be holding down F for three minutes.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
For people with base regret, you can fast travel while overencumbered. You can put some chests next to your palbox, disassemble everything and stuff them into the chests, then fill your inventory and teleport to another base with all the junk from the old base. I moved my forward outpost from a lavender field to a ore mine with very little hassle.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
If you capture a wandering merchant, you can keep it in your base and use it to buy/sell items :eyepop:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Kith posted:

Yeah, it's kinda mind-blowing how tightly everything is designed? Apparently this game was a clumsy disaster during development, but this is genuinely incredible work. It has the usual Open World Survival issues here and there, but the core experience is rock solid. All it really needs are bugfixes and a handful of infrastructure improvements, which is not something that can be said of many games.

Yeah I'm kind of baffled by how well the different systems feed into each other, and it's hard to tell how much of it is intentional and how much is coincidence. Everything gives xp towards unlocking more of the skill tree, but catching pals gives the most, encouraging you to go explore and catch at least ten of every kind. This eats up a lot of resources, crafting spheres and ammo, but catching more pals gives you more hopefully more optimal workers and unlocks more facilities, and building those also increases your cap of pals in base, generating you more resources. Then you spend the resources again on gear, letting you explore and level further, which again feeds back to your base. Not to mention the pal gears that let you use the cool new pals you captured for mobility and combat, or how snagging powerful pals to use in combat helps you take on even harder encounters. It has no business flowing together as well as it does.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I think one of the big points pal game nails that Pokémon is missing is the use of pals beyond battling and breeding. You put them to work, you want to catch certain pals because they're good at mining or crafting, you care about their stats beyond their use in combat. You're not restricted to one bicycle monster for all movement or to one monster per travel method, most pals that make sense as mounts get their pal gear, and there are noticeable enough differences between species. Higher-end pals move or fly faster, get stuff like double jumps etc, and assuming direct control of your huge pal by riding it like a war machine and using its spirit bomb to obliterate poacher camps feels great. Having your pals be basically instantly deployable vehicles you can customize is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Makeshift handgun has better damage and I think the ammo is cheaper? I upgraded to handgun then went back down. Regular handgun better for plinking health at lower levels.

Yeah I've gone with makeshift handgun for a while since it uses the same coarse ammo as the musket and npcs seem to drop it often enough. Haven't had to craft any ammo in a while, just ride your pal to raze down enemy camps as you come across them to stay topped up.

Speaking of, which attacks are people using on their rideable pals? I feel like slotting in skills with quick windups, short cooldowns and fast travel time pays off, maybe putting in one bigger aoe attack that can wipe out weaker enemies. Also from casual observation it seems that pals don't really care about attack cooldowns when fighting independently, they just cycle through their move list, so I'd consider slapping some haymakers on non-mountable pals.