Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I played rugby and simply got destroyed by gigantic Samoan dudes enough times to give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

D2 walk on as DL crossed my mind until I blew out my knee in HS.

Now I just do oly lifting.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tennis checking in.

There was no football at my a school when I attended. There was programs along with ice hockey back in the 50's but budget cuts got rid of them.

Apparently ice hockey is making a comeback for the schools so that's something.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I played drums in marching band at a lot of HS football games

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

guy who quit practice the first day to instead join cross country checking in

high school freshman year I did practices all summer including the dreaded two-a-days then right before the first game decided I'd had enough of this bullshit and quit lol

I was on the roster as a guard but I could see the writing on the wall that I was never gonna see the field. Did get in probably the best shape of my life though so it wasn't a total waste

Also my school didn't even have a team or field, we had to merge with a neighboring town to have enough kids

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Docjowles posted:

high school freshman year I did practices all summer including the dreaded two-a-days then right before the first game decided I'd had enough of this bullshit and quit lol

I was on the roster as a guard but I could see the writing on the wall that I was never gonna see the field. Did get in probably the best shape of my life though so it wasn't a total waste

Also my school didn't even have a team or field, we had to merge with a neighboring town to have enough kids

lol :hf:

i tried both practices. at the football one there was yelling and lots of intensity and feeling like poo poo. i go to cross country in the evening and it's just chill vibes and girls butts everywhere. easy decision.

this was before i actually cared about football. i might've had a different perspective if i had watched anything beyond the Super Bowl back then.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I was a long snapper in pee wee and was reasonably accurate at it. That was the high point of my competitive athletics.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

3 DONG HORSE posted:

i go to cross country in the evening and it's just chill vibes and girls butts everywhere.

This is the exact description of me going to wrestling practice the first day in a dank subterranean padded room full of dudes that had beaded sweat on the walls and then walking upstairs and checking out the first track practice which i ended up doing for four years instead.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Colonel Whitey posted:

If you really want to hurt someone you gotta go full Three Stooges and pull out the foot stomp into eye poke true combo

Didn't Talib poke a guy in the eye?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm from the UK so had to deliberately seek American football out. It suited me because I just got to hit people and not touch the ball. Cricket and football are hard if you have no skills and you had to run too much in rugby

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I played 7th and 8th grade football. I was a tight end and I remember in 7th grade practice after practice getting knocked on my rear end over and over again by this 8th grade kid I had to block who had probably 50 pounds and six inches on me. He was cool though. He told me to keep trying. I think I caught 2 passes in two years lol

In 9th grade I was a manager for the team and that was actually fun. Focused on track and tennis

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm from the UK so had to deliberately seek American football out. It suited me because I just got to hit people and not touch the ball. Cricket and football are hard if you have no skills and you had to run too much in rugby

My dad played rugby to a relatively high level. Not even remotely close to even top level club but county level and he loved American football, but I'm not sure if it's because he saw the extremely vague similiarities or because when it was on Channel 4 he couldn't watch it on our main TV so was able to not have to spend time with my mum for three hours a week (they did love each other, honest). And as the only other room in the house with a TV was in the room I shared with my brother, I started watching it with him.

I also played rugby for a few years, and my style of "running towards the biggest player on the opposition and trying to tackle him" despite being a tall and very slight kid probably led to me giving it up

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I played football until my sophomore year of highschool, then I got an injury and missed the rest of the season.

Started playing Rugby in the spring and loved it. Stuck with that instead afterwards since it wasn't like I was gonna play in college as a 5'9" defensive end.

In retrospect I kinda wish I'd not played contact sports. Got 1 concussion in football and 3 in Rugby, maybe more. Always worried my brain will be swiss cheese as some point from that.

Rugby is supposedly less bad about concussions, but even if that was true globally it didn't seem like it was true in the US. Too many dudes try to tackle like it's football.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MikeCrotch posted:

Honestly getting to hit people does seem like it would be a lot less stressful. I didn't like getting the ball on 75% of the plays in I-formation

Edit: off-tackle, too. Just me and a linebacker and a defensive back chillin outside the hashmark

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I played drums in marching band at a lot of HS football games

Trombone in high school and college marching bands. And theater tech crew. Lights and sound baby!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
My plant's HR manager just sent out the following notice:

quote:

In celebration of the San Francisco 49er’s and Taylor Swift’s boyfriend’s team going to the Superbowl, we are going to have a little potluck! Brink your favorite Superbowl snacks to share with your peers! We will set up the potluck area at 10:30am on Friday, 2/9 near the main production lunch room!

I had a hearty chuckle.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Tennis checking in.

same, i didnt wanna play a sport where the other person could touch me. also the girl i had a crush on was gonna join the team and the coach didnt believe in cutting anyone so i was able to learn the game until i got good enough to actually play against other schools.

the other thing that was cool was that we played against the other DODEA schools in europe so we'd get on these 14 hour busrides from england across the chunnel to belgium and germany. the prospect of going on a 14 hour busride was a lot more fun when you're a teenager.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

it felt like a crime that skysports never broadcasted any college football, since its on saturday and i would actually get a chance to stay up late and watch the games. as opposed to the nfl where i could really only catch the 1pm games

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Our high school football team sucked, badly, and I didn't know much about football at all at the time but I was tall and athletic (track & field) and they were pretty desperate so when I joined in my senior year they put me in as a defensive end. I remember our huge but softhearted linemen crying a lot during practices, also a lot of potentially good players quit during the first day of tryouts. Our head coach was a huge dick who also taught chemistry class. One time I threw up while doing laps w/ pads and decided I was loving done for that day--a coach tried to get me going again by asking me HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT THIS? CAN YOU DO THIS? And I was like... Honestly I don't particularly care, this isn't even my main sport.

Anyway tackling people is pretty cool and fun, seeing people get concussed/knocked out is terrifying, and getting your rear end kicked in a physically brutal sport sucks tremendously.

Highlights: I got one (1) career sack and also we won our homecoming game. I think we had two wins total and the actual good schools just put in their JV teams against us. The team folded permanently a year or two after I graduated and I think the coach ended up disgraced for some sort of crime.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Actually I looked up the stats and the team folded a full decade after I graduated, and they didn't win a single league game in that span. drat that's depressing.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

kiimo posted:

lol I'm not saying the Ravens were even incorrect to do so but I guess Mahomes and Kelce should just take it? And if they push back they're cunts? Just trying to follow AFCN logic here.

Righteous victory lmao yeah because that's what I said.

Ofc you don't just take it, you forfeit your cred when you whine about it

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
You do mean poo poo like point at the scoreboard and knock one of their players out. That's the proper etiquette, noob

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Trombone in high school and college marching bands. And theater tech crew. Lights and sound baby!

I also did drum corps and played on a few pro football fields. Seattle, Indy, and Denver are the ones I can remember. That’s my connection to football

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design

Vox Nihili posted:

Actually I looked up the stats and the team folded a full decade after I graduated, and they didn't win a single league game in that span. drat that's depressing.

My HS basically lost every game as well until one kid ended up being extremely good. The entire playbook was hand it to this guy and let him run. He was so good it's basically all they ever did and we creamed the other (admittedly lovely) high schools. He ended up like getting one year as a Bills practice squad member.

Interestingly he was not even remotely a dick head or egotistical, super nice guy, good grades, just all around decent dude.

I looked him up after this, turns out he was practice squad for both the Bills and the Chiefs (couple weeks for the chiefs).

durabrand107 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 2, 2024

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My high school had a terrible football team when I went there. I was also a girl so I wasn't allowed to play football. I managed to avoid taking gym until my senior year when I had do a full year of it to graduate. The gym teacher was also a football coach and thought I played flag football too rough so I could only go after male classmates.

I also never took Washington state history so I had to do an after school study group to graduate. That's because I went to 3 different middle schools between 2 different districts so it got dropped and no one noticed until the last quarter of my senior year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I played rugby and had my sternum cracked by a late hit that put me out half the season when I was 16, played a full year at flanker when I was 17.

Then I did mma because I was 155 pounds by the time I was 20 and weight classes made more sense than hitting dudes who were pushing 300 or being blindsided by them.

Now I just lift stuff and do cardio and occasionally give a heavy bag a floggin.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
My football highlight was probably scoring four touchdowns in a single game against Andrew Johnson High in the City Championship game. I still remember the play call where I scored on a 75 yard run, “42 blast”. Good stuff.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

My high school football team was lousy until Tavita Pritchard was our quarterback, then we finally won against our rival Lakes High School (where Jermaine Kearse, but not at the same time). Tavita went to Stanford and ended up as the offensive coordinator under David Shaw for several years, not sure what he's up to now.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I played with Shaun King’s little brother Cedric and Michael Lynch who finished like Top 5? On American Idol.

I played D-End and Guard for a really bad high school but we went 7-3 and should have won a playoff game (got hosed by the refs) by senior year. Right back into the gutter after that.

I was probably a replacement level high school player, though miscast at my positions, but even that was good enough to start for 3 1/2 years at my HS.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fartknocker posted:

Fake Shemp is one of the characters you unlock after beating the game on the hardest difficulty (Chowderhead) along with Joe and Curly Joe. Everyone still just uses Moe or Curly.

Christine McIntyre DLC.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I thought SA had a bunch of guys who played at the college level in football?

I'm probably not going to let my kid play contact sports beyond basketball. Too many concussions, too many bad injuries that lingered for decades, and cutting for weight is awful. I probably need to get him into judo or something though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gymnastics is a fantastic start and then they can try what interests them with your approval.

Soccer is an excellent choice and is massively popular with the younger gens proportionately to genX and older in the U.S.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Gymnastics is a fantastic start and then they can try what interests them with your approval.

Soccer is an excellent choice and is massively popular with the younger gens proportionately to genX and older in the U.S.

There's some issues with the heading of the ball and concussions apparently but I haven't checked the latest research. Get your kids into BJJ, it'll be an olympic sport in a few years and your kids will be gods if anyone fucks with them by the time they're in their teens, its good for fitness and it humbles you constantly so you don't end up a bully.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I never played a sport in my life so I am the most qualified poster in TFF to provide insight.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Asproigerosis posted:

I never played a sport in my life so I am the most qualified poster in TFF to provide insight.

Have you ever breathed anything but stale conditioned air? If so, you've been out into the wider world, leaving you less distant from sports than I, the true grognard who knows only the pale glow of a monitor. Only those who have never experienced can truly know sports.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Edna Mode posted:

My high school football team was lousy until Tavita Pritchard was our quarterback, then we finally won against our rival Lakes High School (where Jermaine Kearse, but not at the same time). Tavita went to Stanford and ended up as the offensive coordinator under David Shaw for several years, not sure what he's up to now.

Apparently he’s the commies fresh new QB coach! (had to check you weren’t talking about the Lakes High School I grew up nearby, whose only notableish NFLer is TJ Edwards)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I played flag football in grade school. I kinda stunk at it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My parents thought I was too small to do football so eventually I just ended up in wrestling and track. Then it turned into kickboxing and grappling after high school.

I always wondered what I might have been good at in football since my build filled out like a running back later.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Christine McIntyre DLC.

Only if the DLC also includes Vernon Dent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I deployed a variety of pass rush techniques (rips, swims etc) to get past people trying to guard me in mixed netball.