Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

wait, you can just...make threads?

Yes, Something Awful forum members can generally make new threads. Unless you're talking about Kith specifically, in which case I agree, it's a major oversight to allow them to make new threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FizFashizzle posted:

Kratom is a potentially incredibly addictive partial mu agonist that in some cases is harder to get people off of than fentanyl. Some people it just melts. I used suboxone tapers to get people off. And people ruin themselves financially on that stuff. It’s very fast up but also fast down and patients develop a tolerance very quickly. I had patients who were spending several hundred a day on it and losing their family’s and homes. One power contractor installed gps on their fleet vehicles because they were worried about technicians getting high off of it during work, or having all their trucks in front of a head shop.

It also causes seizures.

Dont use Kratom. Do not buy drugs from the gas station.

But what if the gas station is really convenient, it's on my way home!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Kratom is not banned under the CSA but it's also not lawful as an ingredient in food, dietary supplements or drugs. It's not sold legally; there's just not sufficient enforcement. FDA seized the product at one of the largest manufacturers last year, though I don't think they actually shut them down; my impression is they're fearful because it's a multibillion dollar industry headed by people who make big tobacco look innocent. If you see a state bill trying to "regulate" kratom, that's the AKA trying for state legalization to interfere with federal regulation by tying their product to the state's revenue scheme.

There's ongoing drug research on the active ingredient, but it's sufficiently obviously an addictive substance and a drug of abuse that if it gets approved it'll presumably be scheduled.

Can you dive into this a bit? I'm reading that you think the FDA is fearful of the folks heading the kratom industry because they're worse than the big tobacco folks? What are they afraid of - gangland executions? Public smear campaigns? It's the federal government, kinda weird to hear about them being fearful of anyone other than other state entities.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Trump actually paying bills seems very un-Trump

I believe most of the smart lawyers started doing what Chris Kise did - demand money up front before beginning representation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Glumslinger posted:

Replace it with a copy of the thirst trap Abe Lincoln statue from the LA Court House

You could have told me this was intended as a statue of Gavin Newsom and I'd have believed it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

STAC Goat posted:

Trump very deliberately is refusing to say anything he’d do in any conflict. He simply defaults to “it never would have happened if I was president”. It’s just magic thinking as foreign policy. It’s insane.

But of course anyone who paid attention the last 8 years and was being honest can plainly see Trump would not be and has not been less aggressive in the Middle East, less supportive of Israel, or more protective of Palestinians.

The Middle East was Jared's problem to solve. If Trump were President, Jared would have solved it by now. Duh.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

haveblue posted:

Trump could probably keep his movement together by anointing a successor, but he's not going to do that, because he's Trump

He would probably do it for Ivanka if she wanted it, but everything I've seen indicates she wants to stay the hell away from politics and just enjoy being a socialite.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Killer robot posted:

Trump saying he would drop more bombs and kill more civilians than Obama was one of the most visible kept promises of his 2016 campaign. That's even with him trying to cover it up by instructing the US government to stop tracking and publishing civilian casualties.

Seriously here. In 2016 the "Trump is an unknown that could do anything, who are we to say if his victory would be good or bad" was marginally defensible. It was absolutely idiotic even in the moment, let alone hindsight, and without exception it came either from credulous fuckwits with the worst political instincts (in both the moment and in hindsight), or people who fully knew what a Trump victory would entail but wanted it anyway whether for its own sake or merely to own the libs. But it had the thinnest veneer of plausibility and people were expected to entertain it.

In 2024 that veneer is long since stripped away and there is no cover for polishing the rotted particle board and insisting that it could be fine hardwood under there.

This. I know a couple folks who voted for Trump in 2016, largely because they don't pay attention to politics and only looked at the surface layer of each candidate. Neither of those people are planning on voting for Trump in 2024.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BonoMan posted:

It's probably one of 3 things:

1.) Russia getting stupidly close to irrational nuke use.
2.) Russia is getting awesome at AI and will disrupt the election even further this time
3.) Russia has successfully infiltrated most of our infrastructure

I'm betting on #3, out of these possibilities. Russia has been working on that for decades.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I hope not because someone would seize on this and say "see, we don't need to send Ukraine any foreign aid, since Russia will just collapse anyway" And then you have to deal with who takes control of the bombs.

My WAG is evidence of infiltration into infrastructure since it's stupid easy to do. But it's not a one way road... you can bet we've already done the same and have our finger on the button just waiting for an excuse to shut down a power grid or cause industrial equipment to destroy itself.

Luckily, there is some precedent for providing funding to decommission nuclear weapons in foreign countries.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is about the dumbest way to announce a threat, significant or not.

"This is serious enough that all members of Congress and our allies need to be aware of this and able to discuss it openly. It's not an immediate threat though, and we're not going to say what it is publicly because we don't want to ruin your day. Oh yeah, it isn't aliens, we promise."

Are they deliberately trying to feed rumor mills? Did the heads of CNN, Fox News, etc. call up Mike Turner and say "Look, the Biden administration is too goddamn boring and Trump is mired in lawsuits. Can you give us something interesting to report on and speculate about for a bit? Pretty please?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If Russia starts messing with GPS satellites, then I am never going to be able to find my way to any location that is more than 20 minutes away from my house again.

If Russia were to start targeting/destroying satellites, wouldn't that be an overt act of war? GPS is owned and managed by the US government. Jamming/blocking/scrambling on the ground is one thing, but going after gov't owned infrastructure seems...ill-advised.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Everyone already yelled at them and warned them not to test those anti-satellite missiles a few years ago, but they did it anyway and they had to evacuate the ISS because there were now hundreds of thousands of tiny pieces of untraceable metal debris hurtling through space in orbit around earth. They already said they don't think messing with space or satellites counts as hostile activity.

It's one thing to blow up your own satellite, even if it puts large numbers of other satellites at risk. It's entirely another to target and destroy a foreign nation's strategic asset(s) in space.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ms Adequate posted:

With the usual modern caveat that we're on the border of the Cool Zone and conventional wisdom feels a lot less reliable than it used to: Cataclysmic. The GOP is already hugely behind on fundraising - your vague recollection is correct - and I think at least some part of their post-2016 election struggles have to be laid at the door of their financial woes. Combined with the white-hot hatred so many have for Trump and the continuing anger over them killing Roe which all keeps Dems seriously fired up, and the apparent disdain for Trump that much of the billionaire class has developed, losing any of their limited financial resources this year is going to be desperately painful for the GOP.

Don't worry, the FEC will bail them out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He cares because he thinks pence betrayed him and he plans to run for a third term after this one (he is delusional). He will pick someone with absolute loyalty. My bet, seriously, is Ivanka.

Eh, Ivanka and/or Jared Kushner have said they want nothing to do with politics any more (I think both have said it). Ivanka mostly wants to go back to being an under-the-radar socialite, Kushner wants to play financier with the Saudis. Reading between the lines, I think a certain amount of that is also just wanting to distance themselves from Trump's public image.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Comstar posted:

I don't think no matter how well paid, any CEO is going to want to face the dozens of manslaughter chargers next time there's a power failure and the backup generator/fridge/temperature monitor fails.

IVF will be gone from that state shortly.

This. And I can't wait for lawmakers to blame IVF clinics for leaving Alabama because it's impossible for them to have 100% infallible procedures and infrastructure.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Article says it was from the Burmese junta. although now that I think of it I'm not sure how they'd have plutonium, just uranium

e: they're working towards nuclear power generation with Russian assistance but there's no public ability to enrich uranium or make plutonium

According to DHS, we should be able to identify the source of a given sample of plutonium. There is no definitive list of who currently has plutonium in their inventory, nor a confirmed/complete list of countries who have manufactured it. Based on proximity, my guess would be either India or China as the source if it was found in Burma. It could also be stock that disappeared from the USSR following perestroika, if it found its way out prior to the Nunn-Lugar act.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

““Remember, every communist regime throughout history has tried to stamp out the churches, just like every fascist regime has tried to co-opt them and control them,” Trump told hundreds of cheering attendees at the National Religious Broadcasters International Christian Media Convention in Nashville.”

I could choke on the irony.

Somehow I don't think we're anywhere near the Christian right getting to a "Are we the baddies?" point.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1760751583183450514

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PhazonLink posted:

native Texan goons say its always the out of state-ers that do that virtual signalling peacocking crap . they tryhard super hard with their hats, boots, and stringy tie thing (sorry brain fart made me forget), is it the same with OK state?

Houstonian here. The only time I ever see anyone wearing cowboy hats/boots is at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, where probably 75% of the crowd does. For most of those folks, it's the only occasion throughout the year where they do it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zwabu posted:

https://www.al.com/news/2024/02/alabama-republican-urges-fertility-clinics-to-reopen-uab-says-its-not-so-simple.html

Alabama's Attorney General pinky swore that he wouldn't prosecute any IVF practices so Bama GOP pols want the IVF practices to go back to business as usual.

The gall of these fuckers putting the blame on these clinics.

I have yet to hear a single mention of a family putting the blame on these clinics, has that been reported anywhere?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

smackfu posted:

“The New York Times/Siena College poll of 980 registered voters nationwide was conducted on cellular and landline telephones, using live interviewers, from Feb. 25 to 28, 2024.“

Kinda surprised the sample size was so small for a national survey. Feels like the cross tabs start to have really high error bars at that point.

How large is the average nationwide political survey? For some reason I thought they were almost all 1,000-1,500 people, which puts this just below the low end of that range.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

small butter posted:

Yes - Democrats more or less won in November 2022 which was a month after the peak (and a month after the stock market trough). It feels like the highest inflation for many people still considering that prices and interest rates have only gone up since then, and Democrats won nationwide in November of last year.

A lot of the current price rises are due to companies realizing that there is an effective corporate oligarchy in the US, and many consumers are tolerating (not enjoying!) higher prices because they have few options. Biden is expected to address this during his SOTU next week. And this isn't some hidden action by the companies, there are plenty of reports out there of CEOs defending pushing prices as high as possible, saying that Americans are OK eating cornflakes for dinner, etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

small butter posted:

I agree with all of that. I'm just saying that given everything that's happened, the party in power doing as well as they have is incredible.

My point is that, as usual, the current administration is doing a poor job of communicating both their past/current actions and their near-term goals. Hopefully Biden has some concrete plans to announce to give folks a bit more optimism.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i would say that algorithmic pricing is not a new concept and "AI" tech is completely unnecessary for it. The AI label is a kinda bullshit cover

This. Software driven price optimization has been around for literal decades - PROS is the one I'm familiar with, and they've been around since the mid-80s. The AI label has been applied by the vendors as a sales pitch to new clients. One thing that has changed is companies' ability to change their pricing in real time or near real time, as their customers see it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Main Paineframe posted:

Because they love the tremendous amount of stuff he did for unions during his administration, and want him to keep doing that stuff. So they don't want him to think that they're withholding their endorsement because he's doing the wrong things for them. They'd like him to keep doing stuff that directly benefits them, even though they refused to endorse him.

This is only the Washington chapter, though. The national leadership endorsed him over six months ago, which makes me wonder if this might be a manifestation of internal conflicts in the union's power structure.

This makes me curious - how much coordination/communication is there between local and national unions? Obviously some, for any kind of collective action, but I guess not at the level of local endorsements? I'm sure it varies quite a bit from one union to the next, but it's something I'd never thought of before.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Staluigi posted:

I vote for this guy

I don't think Jeb Bush is running for anything this year.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Off topic, but are there any repercussions when a political campaign uses music, and the musician or rights holder disapproves? If Trump were to use a Dead Kennedys song (as an extreme example) during a rally, would DK have any recourse beyond a C&D and a public statement calling him an rear end in a top hat?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

After The War posted:

The current Dead Kennedys, who called Jello Biafra a terrorist for not supporting the Iraq war?

Probably need a better example.

Goddamn, this is news to me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ivanka/Kushner have openly stated that they're done with politics and want to return to their private lives. My bet is on Kristi Noem, personally.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mawarannahr posted:

The White House dropped a fairly sizable tranche of fact sheets this morning. I think this is a good sign the administration is energetically publicizing Biden's accomplishments, which is clearly needed in the face of concerns expressed by several publications that his accomplishments are being underrated by the electorate. This style of fact sheet seems a promising tool to set the record straight.

I've been saying for awhile that this administration has been far too weak at publicizing their successes, and that failure is only magnified by how often they've tried to work behind the scenes rather than overtly. As has been pointed out many times, one of the smartest things Trump did was put his name on the COVID relief checks. People remember that poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

State Farm paid me to install a dongle in my car and during Covid my insurance halved because I had less than 7k miles driven per year. So, sometimes!

If you WFH (or walk/bike to work), it's absolutely worth keeping track of your annual mileage to see if you can get a low mileage plan (usually between 5500 and 7k miles). The only caveat is that occasionally your insurance company might call you for an odometer check, but even that hasn't happened to me since 2019 (or so).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PhazonLink posted:

surely their algo now has a WFH factor in it by now?

(oh and then they get data from biking, walking, or other phone apps and spike you because a human body isnt in a machine is more vulnerable?)

I don't have a dongle in my car, but different insurance companies do it in a couple different ways. They generally fall under 2 categories - an ODBII dongle you plug directly into your vehicle, or a bluetooth device you install somewhere in your car, that you pair to your phone. It's supposed to only use data from when you are driving and the device is active when calculating any premium changes (meaning if someone else is driving your car, you should be able to disable it for that ride).

As for the algorithmic changes, none that I'm aware of. Your car insurance rates are generally calculated based on a combination of factors, including:

- Type of coverage and limits
- Year/Model of vehicle
- Insured person's demographic data (age, gender, etc.)
- Insured person's physical address and, if applicable, storage conditions for the vehicle
- Insured person's driving history

Whether or not someone works from home is immaterial when it comes to evaluating risk for your driving, however, total annual miles does impact your risk profile. Just because the former impacts the other doesn't make it relevant.

As for what other data they collect, I'm sure people have gone through the Ts & Cs for each app to figure out what's being recorded. That said, the app should only be recording and sending data based on when it's active, i.e. when you're driving, and I'm sure folks would have raised some privacy concerns if they found it operating continuously.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

haveblue posted:

Article says he’s not just retiring, he’s moving up his previously announced retirement plans- he was originally going to finish his term and just not run for re-election. Wonder what convinced him Congress was even worse than he first thought. Or maybe he’s got some kind of private crisis

My guess is he either got some bad news on his health or at least had a nasty scare, and decided he doesn't want to deal with the stress of it for even the few extra months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Judicial Conference of the United States Promote Random Case Assignment

US Courts posted:

The Judicial Conference of the United States has strengthened the policy governing random case assignment, limiting the ability of litigants to effectively choose judges in certain cases by where they file a lawsuit.

The policy addresses all civil actions that seek to bar or mandate state or federal actions, “whether by declaratory judgment and/or any form of injunctive relief.” In such cases, judges would be assigned through a district-wide random selection process.

“Since 1995, the Judicial Conference has strongly supported the random assignment of cases and the notion that all district judges remain generalists,” said Judge Robert J. Conrad, Jr., secretary of the Conference. “The random case-assignment policy deters judge-shopping and the assignment of cases based on the perceived merits or abilities of a particular judge. It promotes the impartiality of proceedings and bolsters public confidence in the federal Judiciary.”

More in the link, but the effect of this policy is to make it more difficult or impossible for anyone bringing certain types of suits in federal court (primarily those affecting state or federal policy) to judge shop. This means that judges like Matthew Kacsmaryk will no longer get every assigned case within their district, making it more difficult for obvious partisan litigation to find a friendly judge.

In short, this should promote more fairness within the federal judiciary. Attorneys of any flavor can't find a specific place to file a suit, knowing they'll find a judge who's deeply partisan in one direction or another. It doesn't mean that cases won't find partisan judges, but it does make it more difficult to guarantee a victory if you're trying to affect policy. This also doesn't mean that existing cases will be moved from one docket to another - if anything, that's highly unlikely, it takes time and effort to relitigate an existing case, and the judiciary is already stretched thin.

I'm sure there's a lawgoon here that can explain it better than I can, but this is probably good news given how the judiciary has been targeted by partisanship for the past several years.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

James Garfield posted:

It's in the senate, Ted Cruz has to be at least a dozen on his own.

On the bright side, Ted Cruz's home in Houston has become a hotspot for pro-Palestine protests. Apparently it's been happening since January. Can't think of a nicer guy to receive protests at his home.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mendrian posted:

Listen. Guys.

If your position is that TikTok is stupid because of the dancing and the dumb memes and you hate that people are on it all the time, you're being ignorant and old.

If your position is that all social media is bad, I can't argue with that. Not really. Because you're correct, it's all exploitative and they sell data and certainly nobody involved in it is running a charity. I essentially agree with that. But it is no worse than facebook and in many ways it is much better.

People who do not use TikTok tend to see a few things first; dance videos, thirst traps, stupid jokes and young people being painfully earnest. It rapidly funnels you into a particular part of TikTok based on your viewership and this is kind of where the crux is. TikTok is a haven for LGBTQ+ communities, for feminists, for fat and disabled people. It's got a lot of eye-roll content about mental health, yes, but it also lets people with serious trauma or conditions feel substantially less alone. Is this because TikTok is unique and no other platform can replace it? Well, we don't actually know that. Because the issue is not, 'Will another media platform be as popular?' because the answer is obviously yes. The issue is, how will these communities be treated on the new platform?

The software is not unique; the community is. There has never been a place with so many minority voices in one place before. Is it all good content? God no. Is it thanks to TikTok's incredible leftist policies? Again, obviously not. It is essentially a coincidence, an example of people using a platform for their own ends. And given time, TikTok would gently caress it up themselves, or the app would lose popularity as people moved on to other communities. However, the US government banning a platform like this is not the same as Myspace losing popularity and if that's how you see it you have completely got up your own rear end.

I am begging you all: if you are shaking your fist at TikTok and saying good riddance you are not properly in touch with what is happening and please try to get your head around it. If your position is that all social media sucks, then no problem, I agree, but it should probably start with the platform that all the boomers use to share misinformation.

The Fox News comments section? :v:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Whatever happened to the Tik Tok/Oracle deal from a few years ago? Last time I remember this being a major issue, Oracle floated an offer to buy the US part of the company (or a significant chunk of it). I'm forgetting the details, it was awhile ago now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rigel posted:

Actually, I think it would be difficult to find a Marvel superhero who loses fights more often than Spiderman

Deadpool?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I had to look up the 5 types of chemical reactions, gently caress that was a long time ago that I learned that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

This is worth raising with the education goons in SAL.

No it isn't, I don't need to feel dumber than I already do :smith: