Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

She also failed to realize that this isn’t the 1990s/early 2000s anymore and that most moderates are looked at with disdain by your average informed voter

More importantly she fell hard for McCain hype, which was mostly bullshit, and didn't understand that the brand was "slightly less evil Republican" not "ex democrat who does whatever has a dollar sign in front of it."

But she was dumb enough to fall for the smell of her own farts and there were a lot of lobbyists waiving a lot of bills at her while telling her she smelled like roses and new cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, main character syndrome is as good a way to explain it as anything, but so is just "she was really loving stupid." Plenty of people tried to get her to change course she just didn't want to listen ro them because listening would have meant admitting she wasn't a special flower genius and doing actual work and not going on wine cave vacations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

Is the idea here that she’s gonna be super unhappy in her new do-nothing jobs or what? I mean, if I could sell out and get paid and get yelled at by many fewer people while solely associating myself with folks who think having been a senator means you’re awesome, I’d take that bag too.

Why is she stupid? I mean, she’s gonna die rich, how does that make her stupid? Isn’t that the point in this country? She won the game. She made a bag and then got out.

The repeated insistence that this woman is dumb is just standard goon unexamined misogyny imho.

She's dumb because she clearly believed her actions would make her a presidential candidate and political celebrity rather than torching her own career which is what she did instead. She was already on the gravy train for life once she won her first senatorial race, yet she somehow managed to gently caress that up, which takes a kind of genius. She can't even raise money for a reelection campaign any more.

She didn't sell out smart, she sold out dumb. If you want an example of a politician who sold out smart, look at Nikki Haley, who managed to parlay her governorship into significant post office payouts (she was on the board of Boeing for a while) and is also setting herself up quite nicely both for current and future presidential runs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

I don’t think this aligns with what I know about America, where there’s no dumb, bad or wrong way to end up rich so long as you can keep it.

She didn't keep it though. That's the thing. She is actively failing to raise money for a senate race in a potential swing state. She managed to dumbfuck herself out of a revenue stream worth hundreds of millions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

Because intelligence is not the main determinator for this type of poo poo? Our society massively rewards dumb people all the time, I dont know why the idea is shocking to you.

Look, everyone calling Elon Musk a moron just doesn't understand his genius

Also the same is true of Sinema except also calling her stupid is sexist for some reason

selec posted:

drat she’s just gonna have to settle for more money than 99.9% of all Americans and cushy no show board postings. If she’s living in a studio apartment running Spin classes in a couple years I guess I got it wrong, but that doesn’t comport with what I’ve observed about American politics and the ruling class.

If she’s so dumb, why isn’t everyone running this grift? It’s easy enough a stupid person can do it.

She was previously either competent in prior races or managed to convincingly fake competence, which is close to the same thing. She also caught a series of lucky breaks in terms of races coming open and being a telegenic candidate in the right times and places.

Then she blew it all to hell by being national-scale stupid and torching her career in a series of self-inflicted wounds. Nobody other than Sinema is the reason that Sinema will never serve another term as Senator. That's real fuckin' dumb. I don't know if she was always that dumb or became dumb once her own success went to her head, but she sure as hell hosed up and has nobody to blame for it but herself.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 31, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

There was sexism around the criticisms of Sinema. Both things can be true.

You can be fatphobic criticizing trump. While trump is certainly a piece of poo poo.

Selec's specific accusation of misogyny quoted my post regarding her intelligence specifically, not generalized misogyny out in the ether.

There were hundreds of articles over the past few years trying to figure out what the gently caress was up with Sinema because her decisions made no sense. I read a lot of them because I also found her behavior inexplicable. What finally convinced me she was just a moron was a series of interviews with former close friends of hers and trusted advisers who all talked about trying to intervene and get her to wake up to what she was doing to her own career and she blew them all off because she thought she was going to be the next MAVERICKtm, when she clearly wasn't because she clearly did not understand how McCain had managed to walk that line or why, or why her electorate was changing under her, or why Americans increasingly don't want "moderate" candidates, or anything else about modern politics, and was just torching her own career out of misguided belief in her own genius (a belief that lobbyists proved happy to conveniently reinforce via wine cave vacations and the like).

She's just a moron. I don't think that because of misogyny; I think that because I've sat down and researched what makes her tick and my educated opinion based on reported interviews with her friends and associates is that she lacks basic self-critique skills and is, in short, by the standards of competency necessary and expected for a successful politician at the national level, a goddam moron.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 31, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Edit: You edited a lot more in

Yeah, I was on my phone and had to sit down to write the rest of that out

Point is, sometimes people are just morons regardless, and Sinema is just a moron regardless.

I dunno. Maybe she's a fuckin' genius at Sudoku. Wikipedia says she was valedictorian of her high school. She must have had a brain at some point. She sure as hell hasn't used it in the past few years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Staluigi posted:

My own magical sinema journey was pretty much the same process.

the more firsthand accounts we got, especially detailing how she responded to pushback and doubled down on asinine bullshit no matter what internal counsel was against it, the more it eliminated the plausibility of any answer that wasn't "she is a giant moron"

Yeah, all the articles I'm referring to were posted right here in prior versions of this thread. None of this is or should be news to anybody here and I was kinda suprised I needed to explain it.

quote:

the one question I don't think has been answered to a satisfactory degree is what the process was that eroded her down to "just a moron" like was it some m night shyamalan thing where you had an ego feedback loop combined with growing too prominent and powerful to have to debase yourself to expert counsel and advice by your campaign staff and you start doing it "ur own way" with "ur uncorrupted vision" and it turns out to be ugly bad and erases your whole viable legacy

My guess is that she thought in taking over McCain's seat she'd naturally benefit from taking over his "maverick" mantle, and that synced up nicely with a native inclination to turn more conservative anyway as she got richer and more well-rewarded and privileged and successful.

Then, guessing further, I imagine she got heavily love-bombed by republican lobbyists willing to tell her she was a special genius, here have a wine cave vacation, all your old friends and supporters don't understand you, you're totally right blocking the Democratic agenda is the best way to advance your career and get real true Maverick bona fides, the Democrats don't believe in you like we do, etc etc etc. And she fell for it hook line and sinker because she wanted to believe it.

Same way scientology recruits celebrities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Everyone knows she started out super left, but what doesn't get so much attention is that every time she encountered a political obstacle or wanted to move up a rung on the political ladder, "moving to the right" was the strategy that consistently helped her overcome those challenges. Moderate compromise worked pretty well to bring her success in Arizona state politics, but she failed to understand its limitations and she failed to understand how national politics were changing under Trump.

That seems like a pretty good point. So the missing piece of the puzzle with Sinema is that she found One Weird Trick to win her local races -- move to the right in left wing races -- but didn't really understand why or how that was working for her, so she just kept pressing the button harder expecting the same candy to drop out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

3. They're terrified of bad precedent. FDA lost a set of court cases to libertarian groups t

This is generally true of just about any regulatory law of any kind right now. A few years ago I heard Sam Bagenstos, former deputy head of the DOJ Office of Civil Rights under Obama and current General counsel for the US Department of Health and Human Services, give a talk to a national civil rights attorney convention, and the thesis of the talk was, quote, "please don't file any more civil rights cases, every time this court takes a tax case I'm happy because it's one less civil rights precedent they will destroy".

And that was before Barrett got appointed.

Any kind of civic minded litigation is extraordinarily high risk until the high court is reformed. We have a lot of strong regulatory and civil rights precedents out there but they are often far more powerful in terrorem than they are if litigated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Our society was incapable of forcing employers to give workers time off when the alternative was forcing them to work under the risk of imment choking death. So many workers died it created an employee shortage that is still causing wage increases years later.

Might as well ask we mandate universal health care.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Google Jeb Bush posted:

oh yeah im not saying the social implications weren't seismic, I'm just saying covid deaths aren't the driving force behind labor shortages and never particularly were

Deaths weren't uniformly distributed. Certain industries, like restaurant kitchens especially, were hit very disproportionately by high death and illness rates. Deaths also don't have to have been the only factor to have nevertheless had significant impact in specific industries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Star Man posted:

I think their point is a lot of people with service jobs finally reached their breaking points and bailed.

That's a better argument than I was actually making! I'll take it!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bird food bathtub posted:

Alternatively; Republican voters know and/or don't care if it makes them worse off, they're voting to "stick it to them" and prioritize hurting others over helping themselves.

Republican voters don't even perceive of politics in terms of policy at all. It's team allegiances, emotional loyalty, and totemic causes; the (economic) weather turned bad because the gods hate democrats and /or we haven't done enough yet to purge democrats.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah, fair point. With the descent into internally contradictory fascist rhetoric a lot of them probably do hold these views.

Right. This new "policy" is just a complicated version of "purge the brown" where "brown" here means "immigrant." It should not be understood as an actual attempt to achieve economic goals; such would be accepting republican pretense rather than rejecting it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Very large tax cuts for wealthy individuals and businesses paired with sharp reductions in social spending is basically the oldest and purest form of Republican economic goals.

Goals sure but not economic goals in the sense of shaping the economy.They want those things regardless of their impact on the economy, positive or negative.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's not that they think this, it's that they are liars who don't give a poo poo about what's true. Polling Americans on issues like this is pointless because at least half the country are 0% trustworthy pieces of poo poo.

They aren't even liars. They're living an emotional truth that has no necessary congruence with actual fact. Republicans are good for the economy like immigration is bad for the economy: two precepts that have been repeatedly disproved again and again for decades but that nevertheless feel true to republican voters.

They believe this stuff they way they believe Jesus loves capitalism. It has nothing to do with truth or falsehood. Completely orthogonal. Non intersecting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the chuds won't obviously, but moderates who arnt fox types will probably get annoyed about it, to them its less "oh they have no dignity sir" and more "i thought this was a crisis and you were gonna pass something, why do you assholes do you jobs" type anger/annoyance.

No one who doesn't have Fox News on an IV dip will even notice, and those who do won't care.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

?

If they can effectively communicate that Trump and the GOP are intentionally allowing the border to stay “broken” or whether people think it is when they vote GOP due to the border, they could deflate GOP support on that quite a bit.

This analysis confuses cause and effect. People don't support the Republicans because they think the Republicans will be better on "the border" ; they support Republicans because they are racist, "the border" is a dogwhistle for a way to oppress brown people, and they believe at a fundamental level that Republicans are better on the issue of "the border" because they know the Republican Party is a racist hate engine and they don't believe the Democratic Party is.

Biden is functionally trying to convince the people who threw tomatoes at Ruby Bridges that the Democrats are their party on a race related issue. It will never work, it's futile.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

This was a terrible bill on its merits and is a horrific bellwether for the desire of the Dem establishment to stand on any kind of principle no matter what. I used to joke that the Dem counteroffer to automated turrets on the border when climate refugees increase to enormous levels will be that the turrets won’t be automated, and we’ll put AmeriCorps workers in charge of manning them.

Doesn’t feel like a joke as much anymore!

As a wise man once said,

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/796229362643152896?t=-qTDm7TdLQTAGhT5KX9G0A&s=19

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nosre posted:

I had an acquaintance bring up "crazy down there, there's 10 thousand people arriving every day!" in passing. I didn't engage, because when people say stuff like that I assume it's like how Caravans!!! suddenly spike in news reports like clockwork before every election.

What are the real figures involved?

These CBP figures DO show a huge spike, and if that 2024 "BP Total Encounters" rate continues it does appear it would blow all past figures out of the water. Is this what people are looking at? https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

I haven't looked lately but historically immigration basically just tracks how many jobs are available. Purely demand driven. When recessions hit immigration evaporates.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that the relative increase in salaries and dearth of low end wage employees would be driving a spike in immigration. That's not exactly a problem though if you like being able to buy produce.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 7, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

They just randomly ruined this guy's life for no understandable reason.

Ruining peoples lives gets clicks and, reading between the lines, they thought he was in an interracial marriage, which is plenty reason for the right wing to target someone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Byzantine posted:

Tbf, it was 2004. Youtube didn't exist yet and people generally didn't walk around with cameras in their pockets.

Presumably the movies are taking place before their release. I seem the Raimi movies as having big late 90s vibes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Batman doesn't want to cure crime. He wants revenge on criminals for his parent's death. He's a bad person doing insane things. Also it is his fault that criminals keep getting released because he keeps loving up evidence with his vigilante bullshit

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 8, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

glitchwraith posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Gotham's corruption has been rooted out. Effective social programs have made poverty and major crimes rare to non-existent, and all super villains have been cured, reformed, or at least humanely separated from society. Gotham is in all senses of the word "fixed". What story do you tell now?

Batman's therapy journey

Alternatively, Batman vs the real criminal: capitalism

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

glitchwraith posted:

The stand alone comic that definitively ends? fixes his mind and institutes gay space communism. Awesome. What comes next, and is it still recognizably a Batman comic?

Does the world, separate from the demands of market capitalism, need or benefit from infinite additional illustrated batman stories?

Like, the reason things keep.getting reset is people want the original stories more. They want to hear about Peter Parker getting bit by a spider but there's a limit to how much spider man past that they want to hear.

I think this is part of why superhero movies are.flopping lately. They're played out. Everything people want to see they can see now. There are enough (moving) pictures of spider man to satisfy all desire for such; there's simply no marginal gain to be had from further films.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Name Change posted:

Spiderman gets reset because Sony needs to keep making Spiderman movies in order to avoid fully losing the IP rights to Disney. Nobody really wants to spend their entire career playing Batman, either. These parts are starmaking, but physically difficult, frustrating, and often shallow.

Right, but that's my point. We can all just accept that most of this stuff is absolute dreck generated for purely capitalistic reasons and if any of it has artistic merit that's little more than a happy accident. None of it necessarily deserves any more attention than the latest iteration of happy meal toys.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zachack posted:

Honestly this response comes across as a really shallow "one weird trick" thinking applied to art. People make things for all sorts of reasons; even if Sony is financially compelled to keep making Spider-Man movies that doesn't mean that a huge amount of the creative impulse in creation of those movies isn't coming from people who genuinely want to make movies about comic book characters they grew up with, and in a space where they get to often tell actually "complete" stories instead of serials.

Like, you're the moderator of the SA book forum, do not pretend to be confused by the idea that people simply can't get enough of the same story told slightly differently a million times.

Oh sure a spider man movie *can* be amazing and great; but I no longer think we should *expect* it to be. We should expect the products of capitalistic art to be regurgitated dreck. Anything past that is a happy bonus. A good spider man movie is not a norm, it's a miracle.

Also I am not the mod of anything I am a free elf

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Welp, nice country we had here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zachack posted:

Except Sony's batting average on good Spider-Man movies is well over 50%? I would hazard that the general consensus is that Spider-Man 1, 2, maybe ASM 1, and MCU 1, 2, and 3 are all "good to great" movies, and that's not including Across the Spider-verse (haven't seen 2 but 1 was excellent). Good Spider-Man movies are the norm. As was posted, this feels a lot like the arguments made when someone doesn't personally like a popular thing and starts contorting definitions so that "No, it's the children who are wrong".

Marvel got uncharacteristically lucky for a long while. It's not realistic to expect them to keep that up forever.

My thinking on this was shifted recently by this thread from Matt Colville:

https://x.com/mattcolville/status/1752430176393392555?s=20

https://x.com/mattcolville/status/1752431019805045206?s=20

https://x.com/mattcolville/status/1752431599533384030?s=20

Marvel got really lucky in that they managed to put very creative talented people (Jon Favreau et al) in charge of remaking a very large body of work of other talented people (Stan Lee et al) but the well has largely run dry at this point. And that's fine. There will be other good new things in future.

I like a lot of Marvel movies plenty. I'm just not gonna let myself get upset that their quality is going downhill. It's to be expected. They're corporate media. Capitalism destroys artistic production over the short term even when it facilitates the short term. There will always be a next new thing, though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shammypants posted:

One a scale of normal person to No Joe Tag Holder, how much did what joe biden do tonight matter and why is it that it didn't matter at all?

Everyone here seems to be freaking out but all I see on the Twitters is reposts of Biden laying a burn on Steve doocy apparently so I doubt anything matters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There has never been a time when Biden was a political candidate that he wasn't also saying stupid poo poo on the regular. He's been known as a gaffe and flub machine for decades.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

There’s never been a mention of him having a stutter. There’s no Google results for this from before 2020. It’s about and well sourced and the random black guy who’s legs he feeled up when he was working and a life guard. And fwiw Biden himself said the “stutter” isn’t a problem with his speech.

This is trivially false and easily checked. Whoever told you that is filling your brain with garbage, stop listening to them.

quote:

President Biden spoke about how difficult it was to overcome his stutter in a 2010 appearance on ABC's The View. In 2011, he wrote an essay for People Magazine on his experience:

“I never had professional therapy, but a couple of nuns taught me to put a cadence to my speaking, and that's why I spent so much time reading poetry – Emerson and Yeats,” Biden wrote. “But even in my small, boys' prep school, I got nailed in Latin class with the nickname Joe Impedimenta. You get so desperate, you're so embarrassed.”

https://www.stutteringhelp.org/content/president-joe-biden

https://www.google.com/search?q=bid...F31%2F2019&tbm=

FizFashizzle posted:

Well gently caress me id never seen that.

Maybe stop listening to whoever filled your brain with garbage bullshit about Biden's stutter somehow just being recent. It's been extremely well known for decades. Anybody telling you that is either a gigantic moron or deliberately filling your head with lies. Wherever you have been looking for news is pretty obviously a corrupted source.

edit: you've been on this forum since 2005. How did you forget the many news articles about his stutter over the years?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 10, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not 100% convinced its just a stutter at this point but I also don't think its hugely important; and probably shouldn't get as much focus as it does when Biden is still clearly pretty sharp generally.

I mean, it's absolutely a problem and if we had any legitimate alternative candidates under 65 it would matter.

As it is though you could give Biden an emergency lobotomy with a sledgehammer and he'd still have ten times the brain function of his competitor, so, here we are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mawarannahr posted:

He was criticizing the electromagnetic aircraft launch system on board an aircraft carrier, as he has done so for years. The system is indeed unreliable, and maybe it really would short out and stop working if it got wet.

Ok that takes care of that five minutes where he said something so loving stupid it gave everyone around him a lobotomy, now explain literally every other time he has opened his mouth, ever

\Personally i'm a fan of the time he recommended injecting bleach to cure covid

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mawarannahr posted:

the implication (in the context of the discussion in the thread) that it is Trump who is having cognitive issues due to advancing age:

are you disputing that Trump does in fact have massive cognitive deficits? Because if you are I have some hydroxychloroquine to sell you

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think I’m getting the argument (please, correct me if not) and it’s not that Trump doesn’t have cognitive deficits, it’s that he doesn’t (necessarily) have cognitive decline because he’s been this dumb for decades.

Which, of course, if true, shows how loving pointless it is to crow about Biden's decline. Biden could be so far gone into dementia that he'd lost bowel function and he'd still be outperforming Trump at any point the orange idiot has held elective office.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Delthalaz posted:

The only thing Trump has ever been right about is exercise being bad for you because your body is like a battery that just runs out out juice

Surprisingly this only true for the exercise of posting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shammypants posted:

"Theory." It's what happened last time

Biden voters weren't "shy"; they were under-predicted because polling generally discounts the likelihood of young voters and first time voters actually voting, but they ALL did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Google Jeb Bush posted:

also Marianne Williamson who sadly isn't much outperforming Phillips

I believe both of them have officially withdrawn.