Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

wait, you can just...make threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

koolkal posted:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-poll-biden-war-gaza-4159b28d313c6c37abdb7f14162bcdd1

Joe Biden, Warmonger, is now more extreme than most independents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts running to the left of Biden on this issue since even Republicans are starting to find Israel going too far in notable amounts

... the guy who cut palestine aid and moved the embassary to jerusalem? that guy?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The reason Mexico/Egypt is classic gaffe machine Biden is cuz it's stuttering in action. He has a stutter and loving up words like that is just life. He didn't confuse Egypt and Mexico, he was talking about Egypt and the wrong word came out. A memory fuckup would be talking about the wrong topic entirely, or bringing up the wrong president, and so on.

Source: I have a stutter and people confusing this is intensely frustrating.

This is not dispositive of Biden having cognitive issues. Just that as evidence this sucks rear end.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bucky Fullminster posted:

https://x.com/AccountableGOP/status/1760761957437599856?s=20

edit - Jack's role in the deliberate fracturing of reality, leading to the spread of conspiracy narratives and the general insane-ification of the world, is critically underreported

i like how it starts with a jocular tone and 'just satirizing the libs lol', then quickly seems to lose irony towards the end there followed by the other guy giving an Amen.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Why Four Million Student Borrowers Got Debt Relief

Fairly well summarized. Since before inauguration with with Day 1 Agenda, Dayen's had the prospect all over this kind of poo poo and it's been tremendously enlightening (and moderately infuriating). "What, specifically, I can implement immediately even with a divided Congress" needs to be a baseline requirement for future Dem primaries.

The NYT, as always, here to make sure everyone is informed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has anyone seen Melania lately? Are we sure she's still around somewhere?

She was traded in for a Mercedes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

cr0y posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/business/wendys-dynamic-pricing-surge-explained/index.html

I am happy to see Wendys getting nailed to the wall over this and am hoping we can kill this idea in the crib.

In my opinion AI modeling is going to make this poo poo so much worse by finding the the perfect price/pain point that people are willing to swallow.

i would say that algorithmic pricing is not a new concept and "AI" tech is completely unnecessary for it. The AI label is a kinda bullshit cover

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

hooman posted:

I had a look at that one, but didn't end up using it because that was "Employed full time" which around 30% of US workers aren't.

For example it massively shoots up when a heap of poor people lost their jobs over COVID which isn't really representative of the economic situation for a lot of people.

That's still the responsibility of Biden and his team, not of a random forum goon.

It's ultimately up to individuals to navigate propaganda. I'm not sure what some political consultant is going to do to stop people from watching fox news or reading dumb poo poo on twitter.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 3, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

dadrips posted:

What's stopping Biden either increasing monopoly enforcement or overruling the parliamentarian, and making it executive decree that it applies whether insured or not? Would you oppose him doing either action, given that as others have stated, the alternative is literal fascism?

Really weird way to put it. What's stopping him is the rule of law, and 'we must destroy the rule of law to save it' is literally fascism 101...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

dadrips posted:

No, you're right, a decree that says "people shouldn't die of being unable to afford insulin" is the same as one that says "people from Muslim majority countries aren't allowed to enter the country"

God forbid someone in the executive branch use their unchecked powers for good for once. The genie's out the bottle, you might as well do something positive with it instead of just handwringing about decorum.

Executive powers are in fact checked as hell, so long as the rule of law holds. Why do you think the Trumpists are so mad about the Deep State, just for fun?"

Biden's done a lot on Insulin. Do you credit that literally at all?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Weren’t those comments pretty clearly specific to the Covid vaccine?

Still extremely stupid, don’t get me wrong.

The official Trump would put into office to do this thing is absolutely gonna be an anti-vaxxer and they aren't gonna limited to covid.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Clinton was also leading until the day of the election. Everyone thought she was going to win easily.

One thing that is completely this time though is that both candidates are a well-known to the public and both served a term. Why would the perception change significantly between now and the election? Are many people going to wake up from a coma not knowing who either of them are? (Obviously a lot of things could happen, but we can't just assume they will move the needle one way).

So yeah you can never know with 100% certainty that polls are going to correctly predict an election, not in March, not the day before. But that a convicted fraudster and rapist with 90 other indictmetns hanging over his head is within the margin of error of a relatively scandal-free incumbent is pretty disconcerting.
you vastly overestimate how much people are paying attention. lots of people assuming Trump won't be the nominee, for example.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, what the hell is going on at the New York Times lately? It's getting ridiculous.

It's a family company. The current guy Arthur Gregg Sulzberger took the baton in 2018 and seems to kinda suck. The current direction of coverage is deliberate;

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 6, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

FistEnergy posted:

Biden's mental abilities have deteriorated significantly, especially lately. And he looks physically much more frail than Trump, and at times seems like he can't even move around well. And I've never seen Trump get lost on stage or look like he doesn't know where he is or what he's supposed to be doing.

There's a clear difference between Biden and Trump from what I've seen, and Biden is worse. It's an eye test thing - I'm not a doctor - but a clear majority of Americans agree with me, not with the thread consensus in here. They both say and do stupid things, but Biden is on a much different and much sadder level.

Trump's the one out there forgetting his own wife's name. That poo poo barely rates notice, and meanwhile the press breathlessly reports that Biden might have had some notecards he read off at a private event.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

koolkal posted:

Not sure if I would use her wording but that race was insane. Schiff got so much money poured into him that he spent more on promoting Garvey than Garvey spent on himself.

For a party that claims that democracy is at stake, it's bizarre that one of the most prominent Dems is receiving funding from Democrats to spend on promoting a Republican.

There was a reasonable opportunity to make this race into a 2-Dem race and guarantee the seat in November but Schiff, Pelosi and crew apparently think the small chance of a Republican winning the race is much better than having Porter on the ballot.

Who cares? If republicans win a senate seat in *California* then we're all boned anyway.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

koolkal posted:

You know there's a small but nonzero chance that Schiff just has a heart attack or gets hit by a car in October right

There's laws allowing for replacement of candidates. If there was a problem, the CA dems would call an emergency session of the legislature and pass a new law real quick.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Are economic aid and arms shipments exclusively controlled by the executive branch, or is that part of legal budgets passed by Congress (the law of the land)?

If something is an 'arms sale' its almost totally controlled by the executive branch within loose limits set by Congress, since its technically a private sale regulated by the government. However that does require an outside source of money, even if its something as circular as the US sending money to Israel so that Israel can buy US weapons (in effect a US subsidy to the US arms industry).

Arms shipments directly from US military stockpiles are much more controlled and limited in scale, which is why significant military aide to Ukraine has required legislation and has essentially ground to a halt with congressional republicans turning against Ukraine.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Majorian posted:

I'm actually asking you to back up your accusation that people are bringing up Biden's age and health because they've either been duped by the right or are trolling the thread, and not because they are actually concerned about Biden's age and health.
The right is flooding the zone with propaganda about Biden's age without concern for facts. They have an obvious partisan motivation to do so and a well funded network of propaganda outlets. The left has neither, so :shrug:. Concerns about age are one thing, but like 5 straight years of 'Puddin Biden' is a little more curious. And concerning in that its a known fact that there was a spigot of russian money targeting influential leftists.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah the issue isn't that Biden is old, and perhaps not as spry as he used to be, its that there's an inordinate amount of attention and focus on his age, which the media is definitely responsible for because they want a horse race, while Trump having many of the same issues is given a pass because ultimately Republicans are allowed and are given a pass to be unhinged. The consequence of that is what's at issue.

The Liberal New York Times treatment of this has been enraging. There's nothing Biden does that isn't looked at through the lens of BIDEN OLD. 'Biden rises above age problems to deliver rousing speech' is basically how they are rolling.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

hooman posted:

I think you need to be specific and not say "the west" here, because you are talking about "America" and you should not conflate the two. The interests of America do not line up with the interests of every other western country.

I don't think that America should have control over content seen in other countries but I'm also not going to advocate for laws in other countries to force divestment in google or meta from American control.
That's not what the post says. It says that anyone, including non-americans, can agree with all your critiques and still think everyone's better off with Chinese divestment of TikTok.

Mendrian posted:

I mean if somebody wanted to invent an app that was half as useable as TikTok they already could. Instagram Stories and Facebook Reels failed for a reason, and it's not because people don't want to watch short videos, it's because gently caress Facebook. I don't think TikTok would survive divestment, at least not in a recognizable form, and I think that's generally the point of this bill.

That and old white men who are tired of being made fun of.

Why wouldn't it? Noone's forcing them to change their algorithm.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The realtors aren't selling houses, they're selling the service of selling houses. The relevant point for how much realtor fees will stay up is not how much competition there is in the housing market, but rather how much competition there is in the selling houses market. Presuming that realtor fees are high because of a price fixing cartel, what should happen is that realtors will begin undercutting one another until the industry sheds enough jobs that competition stabilizes. The point at and speed with that occurs may vary greatly depending on local conditions.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

haveblue posted:

This has already been the case for some time. The freedom caucus is larger than the GOP margin, which is why they have leadership by the balls and why the first speaker election of this congress was also a circus

The real problem here is that if another seat is knocked out, possibly by random chance (scandal, heart attack, someone decides to REALLY gently caress leadership over) the House is tied and all party-line votes fail. And if two seats are knocked out, the door is open for the Dems to trigger and win the next speaker election and the house changes hands mid-term

the conspiratorial bullshit will truly kick into hilarious overdrive if some 80 year old has a heart attack. Hillary's Revenge

though IIRC there are more old House Dems than House Reps.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

discussion 'banned' by being in its own topic thread. ok. did that get locked or something?

e: guess it did, ???

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, I agree, and so does the Biden administration, which is why they now have sick days.

Yeah this is the weird part to me. Biden admin intervened, but they forced a compromise that is widely regarded as a significant win for unions, both directly and in terms of undercutting the rail corps politically. Why is this spun as 'Biden crushes labor?'.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The kind of firefighting that prisoners and public works programs do is mostly unskilled labor. In any case yes we do need firefighters. It's terrible ground to fight this argument on. If you put principle vs a city burned to ashes, principle loses every time.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What makes you think there's no firefighters unions in the US? There definitely are.

There was a big firefighter strike in the UK in the 70s. The army immediately covered the firefighting gap, and 'striking' firefighters repeatedly answered emergency calls - which in most jobs would be called strike breaking and scabbing and breaking the picket line. A modern society cannot tolerate an interruption in firefighting services, beyond very limited contexts.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Levitate posted:

I believe the conservative "counterpoint" to this is "crimes just aren't being reported anymore that's why the data says crime is down, but it's actually up higher than ever"

its certainly what the Freepers are saying. the notion that homicides were down in NYC was adjudged as conspiracy to conceal the truth by the federal government

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

oh cmon this is silly

'how dare this politician not mislead me more, this is an outrage'

Hillary's not running for anything, and 'we're not even making our targets' is probably a point she *wants* to make.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kind of weird seeing so many posts referring to it as a 'tiktok ban' rhetorically and running with it, when that is an extremely unlikely outcome.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DynamicSloth posted:

The Democrats who decided to support the bill this year, obviously, why do you think they came around?

If Bytedance is breaking privacy laws why isn't it being prosecuted for that? If the privacy laws aren't sufficient why aren't they being changed? What 'law' did bytedance break and does that 'law' apply to other social media companies?

it's literally not possible for a US court to enforce data privacy on TikTok. The company is so closely tied with the government its effectively sharing data with itself. like the entire idea is laughable. what're we supposed to do, fly over to China and arrest TikTok's CCP cadre?

Biden issued an EO earlier this year on this topic, but that takes time promulgate and in a lot of ways TikTok is too big and too remote to regulate. some low level bureaucrat isn't going to order apple to ban tiktok.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This probably has the clearest drawing of how it all is supposed to work I’ve seen in the news.

https://www.barrons.com/news/jlots-the-us-army-s-temporary-port-system-59ef2619
Pretty cool pic actually. Didn't realize it was multi-staged.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 24, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i'd note our very own forums already went through a divestment after its owner was deemed odious, and we're all still here posting

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah I don't think this will be the issue that cost Biden the election, but it is emblematic of how feckless and easy to manipulate the Democrats have become. Just fully delivering another of Trump's policy ideas and handing the keys to a key propaganda channel to whichever right wing billionaire finds the change in his couch cushions, and all it cost them was the principle of free speech.

isn't it kind of conceding the point to describe tiktok as a propaganda channel

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

theCalamity posted:

That’s great but this is about the US, not the EU. I don’t doubt that TikTok isnt protecting data. I feel the same way about all of the social media. But if the government was concerned about our data, they need to not just focus on one app

Congress doesn't care about TikTok selling ad targeting. But they do care about foreign governments mobilizing influence, both overtly (like with the phone campaign) and covertly (who can even say whats possible just by putting your finger on the scale behind the scenes.)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

theCalamity posted:

Did the phone mobilization come straight from the CCP?

It's impossible to tell the difference, because companies like TikTok have official CCP cadres inside them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Majorian posted:

Let’s put our cards on the table on this issue: do you think that the WH intended to associate the protests with terrorist groups by deploying the term “terrorist” or not?

being as AOC was at the same event and is widely reported as praising the 'peaceful student-led protests', they're doing an incredible bad job of it.

maybe we should just use occam's razor and figure that calling antisemitic rhetoric bad was intended to call antisemitic rhetoric bad.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

selec posted:

It’s still attempting to paint protest after 10/7 as being a foreign incursion, it’s still a request that applies exactly as I’ve described it, unless you think the ADL has pivoted since the campus protests began and agree these are just kids carrying out their first amendment protected activities?

This is absolutely how they still feel and what they think should happen.

the ADL has definitely shown its own rear end recently with declaring pro-palestine jews as race traitors... but you can just post them doing that. the letter is real weak.

the letter mentions 'indications of foreign involvement in domestic antisemitic incidents', which is the only thing that even vaguely supports the tweet. but the letter also applauds a '93% reduction in fisa inquiries against US persons under Biden', which is fairly contradictory to the notion that it supports a dramatic increase in domestic surveillance.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Seems to me that medicare's basically done an end run around the weight loss restriction. We can't treat obesity, but we *can* treat the risks caused by obesity...lmao

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Only a partial end run for a specific group of people. You have to get heart disease first.

Good if you want weight loss drugs and have heart disease. Getting heart disease is probably not worth it just to get free weight loss drugs, though.

The rule does open the door for more broad coverage in the future If they can clinically prove other medical benefits or new drugs are invented that do.

It's something like 50% of Americans with some form of condition that can be labeled cardiovascular disease, since it includes high blood pressure.

Though i'm not sure if thats the standard Medicare uses.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

when u read to kill a mockingbird and drew entirely the wrong lessons from the text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

Is there any evidence of Donald Trump hating pets significantly more than other presidents? He has been pictured embracing dogs very many times, and furthermore, his record demonstrates opposition to animal cruelty.

President Trump Signs Federal Animal Cruelty Bill Into Law

Here is a list of several other positive actions taken for animals (click through the link for some negative ones):
State of the animals under the Trump administration: a year of highs and lows

Under the Trump regime, there were no accounts of dogs biting White House visitors as there were under the Obama or Biden regimes. Nobody got sent upstate to live on a farm. Sure, people may make fun of the way he speaks about dogs, but actions are louder than words.

i mean that seems like a pretty mixed list at best. even one of the positive things is reversing a rule chance that they themselves made.