Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the fact that the longest running manga tend to be limited to a few decades at the most, with the majority much more contained, is one reason among many that they are superior to western comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I love when Americans act like super hero comics are the only kind the West makes.

if you took the average american and asked them about the american comic series saga, versus the justice league, what do you think the response rate would be like?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://apnews.com/article/clyburn-biden-super-pac-south-carolina-9231cb5f0a381d89c9b31e882f294aa6

quote:

In an ad from Unite the Country, shared ahead of its release with The Associated Press, Clyburn ticks through what he says are major Biden accomplishments, saying the president “has eliminated $137 billion in student loan debt” and “capped insulin costs for seniors at $35 a month.”

here, about 5 seconds of googling yielded an ad about biden's accomplishments, i'm assuming this will end whatever tedious argument has lasted for more than a page

christ, i remember when i would come to this subforum to learn things, not scroll past two groups trying to score points off each other

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hey majorian, you should come post in the dadchat thread, for old times sake

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my understanding is the house gop pushed the impeachment vote to avoid dealing with the seat flipping, but the foreseeable result is losing a bunch of media focus on the impeachment to prognosticate on the horse race. a gop house so bad they can't even match the hay the tea party folks made out of benghazi

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's very troubling, but i can't get past the whole "patient wandered into cryogenic storage and began taking cylinders out of deep freeze". strong jurassic park stealing genetic material vibes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
on one hand the middle class has certainly been squeezed hard for the last few decades, but on the other hand, even when the middle class was king of poo poo mountain it was driven by massive amounts of racial animus and nationalism, so it feels like a stretch that people are being forced by desperation to vote for trump. you look back on the salad days and there are nixon and reagan staring back at you

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A federal judge has reversed the previous order allowing Alexander Smirnov to remain free while awaiting trial and is now requiring him to be detained until criminal proceedings finish after his attorneys were suspected of petitioning for his release to help him flee the country (allegedly to Russia).

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1762174865744822342

do lawyers have a professional obligation to help their clients leave a jurisdiction if that is an option?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cimber posted:

Imagine the ratings CNN will get when they are livestreaming the nuclear warhead incoming track to the US east coast! That'll make a big splash for that quarter!

we already know what their coverage will look like

https://www.theguardian.com/media/video/2015/jan/06/cnn-end-of-the-world-doomsday-video

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Biden announced that the U.S. has been secretly negotiating a ceasefire in Gaza and expects to announce a ceasefire agreement within a week.

The deal includes the release of 40 of the remaining Israeli hostages and dozens of Palestinians convicted of terrorism in Israel.

The initial ceasefire would last 6 weeks and include a negotiation for a permanent cessation of hostilities.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1762249127469998113

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/26/world/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news

i can't articulate why, but this being mentioned as an aside while grabbing ice cream with a b tier late night talk show host doesn't seem appropriate

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
time for teachers to start rolling out electronic warfare. the skills the children learn while bypassing the frequency jamming will be all the education they need

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my naive guess is that confounding variables in bottom 10% such as food insecurity, threats of violence, etc. results in less educational gains then the gap in funding would suggest

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

But we know where that money is going at least. Nobody is making a profit on public education like drug companies, insurance companies, etc are with healthcare.

as a scientist in public employ, i'm obligated to angrily wave my fist in the vague direction of the administrative apparatus

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good news everyone

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1762906260322562233?s=20

The appeal will go forward but the court can begin to enforce the judgment

and an appellate judge just ruled on this a few minutes ago, only put a stay on his ability to take out loans, but not on the amount. essentially telling him to borrow the money if that's what it takes. it'll be interesting to see what banks want to take a half billion dollar risk on the nations scammiest rear end in a top hat

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/politics/donald-trump-appeals-court-new-york/index.html

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
eratosthenes. most of his errors came from assuming the earth was perfectly spherical instead of an elliptiod

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is a one term senator who had to stand aside for being a dipshit going to even get lucrative lobbying gigs? (of course she'll earn more in a year than i will in a decade, but in the scheme of these things it how is she not worth peanuts?)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cimber posted:

It's not like she was all that influential either. I doubt she built much of a network worth lobbying with.

she did publicly go to bat for hedge funds, so i'm sure they'll give her some kind of sinecure. is there anyone on the hill who would be happy to have her bob in?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

it's understandable, their entire antisemitism coverage team is posted full time at harvard, they just don't have the bandwidth to cover mr. "jews in hollywood stealing your shekels"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
capitalizing "great republican party" is weird when its already the gop. he's a weird dude, i'm realizing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
apparently the ridiculous 1 week cr really was enough time, the house has passed the first budget bill

quote:

The House on Wednesday approved $459 billion in new government spending, a crucial step toward funding federal agencies for the next six months and preventing a partial shutdown this weekend.

The legislation passed by a 339 to 85 vote and now heads to the Senate, which must pass it by midnight Saturday to keep crucial agencies from shuttering when funding lapses. The bill, which was drafted by bipartisan leaders in both chambers, is not expected to face substantial opposition.

But another larger and trickier shutdown deadline lurks just over two weeks from now on March 22, and lawmakers remain fiercely divided over how to fund those agencies and which policies to attach to that legislation.

Still, Congress is now on a realistic path to finally conclude the 2024 fiscal year appropriations process after extending the deadline four times over disagreements within a fractious House Republican conference that led to the historic ousting of then-Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)

“Passing these bills will give us much-needed momentum to finish the next package of spending bills by the March 22 deadline,” Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on the chamber’s floor Wednesday. “But as I’ve said repeatedly, it will take bipartisan cooperation to finish the job.”

Far-right Republicans in the House had sought to use the appropriations process to significantly curtail spending by prohibiting funding for Planned Parenthood, slash resources for the Education Department, enact rigid new immigration restrictions and claw back some of the money for the White House’s climate agenda.

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) has recently been more direct in defending the pathway he’s charted to ensure the government does not shut down, as a majority of Republicans recognize they would get blamed for it — a hefty political price during an election year where the GOP is fighting to keep and expand their two-vote majority.

Over the past week, Johnson has encouraged his conference to accept that the “singles and doubles” they have scored in the first tranche of funding bills could have turned into grand slams had Republicans not allowed ideological difference on how to fund the government to limit his hands in negotiations with other congressional leaders, all whom agreed on funding levels set by McCarthy and President Biden last year.

“We want to cut spending. We want to limit the size and scope of the federal government. The reality right now is that we have divided government … so we have to be realistic about what we’re able to achieve,” Johnson said Wednesday.

Biden is set to confront the relative progress and brewing impasse during his State of the Union address Thursday while also attempting to lay out his most direct pitch yet to voters for a second term.

But some of his priorities and Congress’s spending debates have become entangled with U.S. support for Ukraine and Israel and immigration debates at the U.S.-Mexico border. Biden and Democrats are eager to send more arms and resources to Ukraine as Russian invaders attempt to push deeper into the country’s territory. The president has also sought to send funds to Israel for its fight against Hamas terrorists but has run into opposition from fellow Democrats concerned about rising civilian death tolls in the Gaza Strip.

Johnson and Republicans say they want to pass border and immigration legislation before sending aid to U.S. allies, and some of those policy pushes, lawmakers say, have clouded the government funding picture. Members of the staunchly conservative House Freedom Caucus have repeatedly argued that Congress should not fund agencies that they believe have contributed to the influx of migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border, ease access to abortions or support LGBTQ and diversity, equity and inclusion measures.

“Republicans will go around and talk about how they scored major wins, how they somehow delivered for the American people. The fact of the matter is we did no such thing,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.) said on the House floor. “If any member from the body can come down and explain to the American people in terms they can understand, explain it — what exactly the cuts look like.”

Wednesday’s bill funds roughly 30 percent of the federal government — including the departments of Justice, Transportation, Energy, Agriculture, Commerce, Interior, Veterans Affairs, Housing and Urban Development, and the Environmental Protection Agency, Food and Drug Administration and crucial government research functions — for the rest of the 2024 fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30.

It was the product of two bipartisan compromises in Washington, agreements that have faced substantial scrutiny and threats from far-right legislators.

Last spring, Biden and McCarthy agreed to suspend the nation’s debt ceiling in exchange for restraining federal spending to $1.59 trillion in 2024. House Republicans chafed at the deal, and disagreements over spending ultimately led a band of rebels to oust McCarthy from the speakership even after he directed the House Appropriations Committee to incorporate their demands to cut slash spending by an extra $1 billion.

In a move that riled up House conservatives, McCarthy had also struck an extra $1.2 billion side deal with Biden that top Democratic leaders, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and appropriation chairs from both chambers respected.

Johnson, his replacement, stuck to that deal and then in January made another agreement with Schumer on a top-line discretionary spending amount for the year: $1.7 trillion. Wednesday’s bill covers a portion of that amount. Expensive programs like Social Security and Medicare aren’t included in that total because they are not subject to annual approval by Congress.

Some Republicans were unhappy with that $1.7 trillion total and hoped to attach policy provisions to the legislation as a consolation for not cutting spending more. Those “riders” — so called because the policies “ride along” on often-unrelated legislation — included limits on which items some food stamp recipients could purchase, a crackdown on the availability of abortion medication and a ban on regulations on menthol-flavored cigarettes.

Most of those provisions did not make it into the final legislation, angering conservatives. Littering appropriations bills with culture-war poison pills — as House Republicans had done in versions of spending legislation last year — would have doomed its chances of passage. Vulnerable House Republicans would have shied away from some controversial measures and Democrats in the House and Senate would have opposed it.

The lack of cohesion among Republicans to pass measures through their two-vote majority has forced Johnson, and McCarthy before him, to suspend the rules of the House to dodge procedural holds thrown up by the Freedom Caucus and rely on Democrats to ensure bills pass with two-third support of the House.

“This is a long, methodical process. It is overdue,” Johnson said. “But we are very happy now that we’re finally to the point where we can move beyond it.”

lol, i didn't realize that the bills would only get us to the end of fy2024, it doesn't even get us to november! what an incredibly stupid government

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i don't know, seems like this proves the iron grip red china has on our youth

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
your post had a more artistic quality when it was just "attack trump"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Perhaps there is a third way where we can agree

please stop posting crazy poo poo in this thread, thanks

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

New inflation report is out.

Inflation ticked up slightly - from 3.1% to 3.2%.

Housing rose at a slower rate, but still made up the largest single source of inflation.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/12/business/cpi-inflation-fed

i keep hearing that housing costs are a trailing figure, but we're now a full year past the bulk of the rate hikes and i still have yet to hear good news

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The dentist commercial is being posted on the official Governor of South Dakota's twitter account as well as her personal account.

https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/1767392635944059202

The North Dakota grocery store ad is apparently just a print ad and not a commercial, but still pretty weird that she is doing ads for businesses outside of her state. I guess it is maybe ethically (and legally) better than being paid by businesses in her state?

It doesn't appear to be illegal, but it is very strange that she is doing it at all and blasting a commercial for a dentist in Texas on the official South Dakota government page.

using an official government twitter account for personal benefit would be a no-no here in california. i think state law only calls for a fine worth some multiple of the monetary gain, but i'm surprised there's not something similar in south dakota

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

lol, sick of this poo poo? he came in as the anti-establishment candidate spouting the tea party line, he needs to get the gently caress out of here with this loving whining

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
spiderman g getting hit on the head by a brick and winding up a amnesiac crank third party presidential candidate sounds like a plausible arc in the daily comic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A tale of two housing policies:

Arizona Governor vetoes a bipartisan housing bill over concerns that it isn't "balanced" in considering current homeownership home values and building new housing because it errs too far on the side of new construction.

it's often unspoken, but this rational is why i'm confident that the national affordability crisis will continue unless and until a seismic social event forces a change

pew research found last year that the median homeowner has 45% of their overall net worth in their primary residence. it's higher for non-white ethnicities. given the significant uncertainty most households express about their ability to retire, very few homeowners will support policies that would significantly improve affordability, it would make their own precarious retirement situation even worse

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-ethnicity/2023/12/04/the-assets-households-own-and-the-debts-they-carry/

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
will there be any explanation from the court on what grounds they granted the motion?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Shamelessly stealing this from the GBS thread. I actually live in this district so I'm over the loving moon.

I wanna temper some expectations that while it's pretty significant in the swing, but for standards, the Huntsville-Madison area that she represents is pretty middle to upper class and extremely progressive for the standards of the rest of the state. It's got the University of Alabama here, it's got the space and rocket center and NASA, the redstone arsenal and then just all residences otherwise.

Still that is quite a swing, and in that key suburb demographic that everyone is chasing this election year.

after 2016 nothing is a sure thing, and the recent dem wins have been on low turnout, but i sure as hell would rather be the party winning upset contests in an election year than the one losing them

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

well, you can dislike nate, but you can't argue with his insight

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

rscott posted:

Nate got fired from 538 like a year ago or something

well at least he still has his good looks going for him

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don’t think the World Central Kitchen thing was an accident. I think it’s an explicit threat. Within the next month that temporary pier is going to be up and running.

Whatever is going to happen is going to happen in the next 30 days (and to me they’re keeping up with the 60 day goal announced March 1). They’re either going to be feeding everyone in Gaza or Israel is going to do something unprecedented. The news at the end of the month is going to be wild.

This is all public right now fwiw y’all can watch on whatever public AIS service you prefer.

i'm not so optimistic that the us is about to force the issue. biden was pretty specific on "no boots on the ground", and i haven't heard anything about that changing. wouldn't be surprising if they roll everything out and then shrug when everyone trying to got to the temporary pier to distribute are picked off

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tarezax posted:

And guess what, Prop 13 applies to *all* real estate, including commercial real estate.

this gives rise to a loving slimy tax dodge, in which much of california's really valuable commercial real estate have been held in shell trusts or corporations for decades now. the trust can be bought and sold, but the property technically remains under consistent ownership and thus doesn't trigger a reevaluation of the baseline assessment. so you have property worth tens or hundreds of million dollars that are taxed on what they would have been worth in 1990 plus flat 1-2% annual increases that for decades at a time is outstripped by inflation, let alone increase in property value

just such a horseshit law, it's so frustrating that we can't get rid of it

edit: of course the correct course of action would have been the construction of sufficient housing to avoid skyrocketing residential property values and thus avoid the problem of onerous taxes on illiquid assets, but funnily enough that doesn't appeal to existing homeowners

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 12, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Thomas most likely didn't skip the opening arguments because he is unexpectedly dying, so it is all kind of moot.

don't poo poo on my dreams

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
peh, who needs new users? something awful hasn't had new users in years, and look how vibrant and thriving we are!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haveblue posted:

Now just eliminate overbooking and let us keep our shoes on and we might have good air travel again

i recently flew on a flight that was overbooked by 14 seats. i think it was equivalent to about 10% of the plane's capacity. absolutely mind boggling that kind of thing can happen

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
colleges have been nexuses of protests and political action since the greeks first started holding symposiums in fixed public locations

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Koos Group posted:

I'm not sure symposia could be considered a true analog for colleges. From what I know they were occasions where people drank, socialized, viewed entertainment, and occasionally had philosophical discussions, so they would be more similar to a college party than a university as an entire institution. Ancient Greeks already had a much closer analog, which would be the academy, from whence we get the term "academic."

whichever led to the forced hemlock drinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

theCalamity posted:

To think all of this could have been avoided if the colleges either did nothing at all and let the protests run out of steam or divest from Israel.

this has really struck me, seems like a much quicker escalation than i would expect given how often (relatively) these kind of large protests and sit-ins tend to happen on college campuses. either donor pressure, congressional public scrutiny, or personal ideology has to be driving the response

forcibly breaking up and expelling students for a sit-in that's lasted for less than 24 hours is something i don't recall ever hearing about