Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

We also had some good old fashioned Red Panic and racism from Tom Cotton

I think that's more season 1 Hank Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CaZ4EAexQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nonsense posted:

I thought Jacob Wohl was in hot water again because he was behind the Biden deepfake robo call?

Was there anything pointing that at Wohl? Because if anything I figured that was far closer to a white hat operation considering how beyond pointless that was to try and disrupt, while still being important enough to have attention paid to it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

what points to it being a white hat op?

if you were going to do it for nefarious intent, you'd use it on a race with any relevance at all. Using it there points to someone trying to get enough attention on it to force political action to try and shut it down.

At least, that seems far more plausible then Jacob Wohl trying to manipulate a primary where the incumbent candidate wasn't running and has no delegates.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Inflation, inflation, inflation. As they say, "it's the economy, stupid".

In my experience, only left-wing people that hate Biden assume that the dissatisfaction is primarily coming from the left. Actual polling has pretty consistently demonstrated that Biden's bigger problem is with people who don't give a gently caress about culture war issues either way but are real mad about how much grocery prices have risen.

Speaking of, debt's up, and per the bolded section and how heavily race and income correlates....

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/06/credit-card-delinquencies-surged-in-2023-indicating-financial-stress-new-york-fed-says.html

quote:

Credit card delinquencies surged more than 50% in 2023 as total consumer debt swelled to $17.5 trillion, the New York Federal Reserve reported Tuesday.

Debt that has transitioned into “serious delinquency,” or 90 days or more past due, increased across multiple categories during the year, but none more so than credit cards.

With a total of $1.13 trillion in debt, credit card debt that moved into serious delinquency amounted to 6.4% in the fourth quarter, a 59% jump from just over 4% at the end of 2022, the New York Fed reported. The quarterly increase at an annualized pace was around 8.5%, New York Fed researchers said.

Delinquencies also rose in mortgages, auto loans and the “other” category. Student loan delinquencies moved lower as did home equity lines of credit. Overall, 1.42% of debt was 90 days or more past due, up from just over 1% at the end of 2022.

“Credit card and auto loan transitions into delinquency are still rising above pre-pandemic levels,” said Wilbert van der Klaauw, economic research advisor at the New York Fed. “This signals increased financial stress, especially among younger and lower-income households.”

While delinquency levels are rising, the New York Fed researchers said total debt is moving higher about in line with the pace before the Covid-19 pandemic began in March 2020.

Household debt rose by $212 billion in the quarter, a 1.2% increase quarterly and about 3.6% from a year ago. Credit card debt, however, jumped 14.5% from the same period in 2022. Auto debt climbed to $1.61 trillion, up $12 billion on a quarterly basis and $55 billion annually, or 3.5%.

Borrowers have been hit by higher interest rates. In a tightening cycle that ran from March 2022 to July 2023, the Federal Reserve hiked its short-term borrowing rate by 5.25 percentage points, taking the fed funds rate to its highest level in about 23 years. The benchmark rate feeds into most adjustable-rate consumer debt products.

Since the central bank began its tightening, the typical rate on credit cards leaped from about 14.5% to 21.5%, according to Fed data. Credit card debt as a share of income is still below pre-pandemic levels.

While the rise in delinquencies happening from low levels, the trend “bears watching because it is happening while the economy is still growing,” said Joseph LaVorgna, chief economist at SMBC Nikko Securities.

“What happens if the economy slows and unemployment quickly rises? Delinquencies could surge, in turn leading to a self-reinforcing credit crunch,” LaVorgna said in a note. “In other words, a mild downturn could turn into a deep one.”

Fed researchers said rising rates probably have played a role in delinquency rates. In the case of autos, for instance, they said payments have changed little even as prices have come down, owing to the elevated rate structure.

Student loan debt, an area of interest for Washington lawmakers, has increased little during the pandemic period, currently totaling just more than $1.6 trillion. That was little change from the third quarter and it was up just 0.4% from a year ago. President Joe Biden has forgiven some $136.6 billion in student loan debt since taking office. The share of debt in serious delinquency edged lower to 0.8%.

Mortgage debt rose 2.8% in 2023, while the delinquency rate increased to 0.82%, up a quarter percentage point from the previous year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

single-mode fiber posted:

One thing I'll point out about this, delinquencies on auto loans and revolving credit, every year it always peaks in January/February, and magically always drastically falls over the next couple months. Some people do it on purpose, some have no choice, but people's delinquencies always get highest right before tax refund season hits. Every year, though, the media dusts off a scare story about how loan delinquencies are going up and The Next Crisis is right around the corner, but 2 months later everyone gets their tax refund and everything goes back to normal.

Two things, this doesn't appear to be true according to the data and secondly, the article was off the dataset for Q4 2023.

Page 10 has credit card data and autoloan data is on a bunch of graphs as a data type throughout:
https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/interactives/householdcredit/data/pdf/HHDC_2023Q4

CC debt in particular fell sharply from Q4 2019 until Q2 2021 and has risen each quarter except for being flat in Q1 of 2022 and 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Morrow posted:

officially licensed by who

The Bible.com guy, who runs some giant evangelical Life Church out of Oklahoma and is backed by the Hobby Lobby owner.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We're 10 months into the great medicaid/CHIP unwinding, where the expiration of the continuous enrollment condition of the Covid Act, and as of the end of January, well over 16.2 million people have been kicked off:

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/halfway-through-the-medicaid-unwinding-what-do-the-data-show/

Almost half the people in the program, almost 46 million, are still in limbo or unreported, though the article points out some states prioritized people most likely to be kicked off (hopefully Oklahoma, jesus christ) so the %'s might get better for some states.

Also many of the removed are actually eligible for medicaid, so some will get re-added, but uh, bleak.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

A prosecutor in Arizona is refusing to extradite a man charged with murder in NYC because Bragg is soft on crime (and probably because he went after Trump as well.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/21/nyregion/soho-hotel-murder-bragg-arizona.html

Has anything like this ever happened before? I mean in the modern era, I'm sure there must have been cases involving the Fugitive Slave Act and such.

I know of one local case that's.... not exactly the same thing. In 2011-2012 Gov. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island refused to extradite Jason Pleau to the Feds over a murder charge due to his opposition of the death penalty. Was a big thing, Chafee lost but won, guy got life in the end.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New poll from Quinnipiac with some interesting results - especially on Israel.

The 46% of Dems thinking Biden is too old to serve another term and over 2/3rds majorities in every age group except the elderly is pretty funny.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

volts5000 posted:

Why not have a cubby shelf with a USB plug in it and the kid's name across the bottom. When kids come into the classroom, they put their silent-ed phone in their cubby shelf. If they have a charger cord, they can plug it in and leave it charging during class. When they leave, take it out of the shelf. Teacher doesn't handle the phones at all.

To use Leon's example:

Put your phone in the cubby

"no"

Teacher goes back to trying to teach.

New rules are pointless without sensible enforcement mechanisms / admin support.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kith posted:

starting to think that this trump fella isn't on the level

also it's pretty loving pathetic that he (or his followers) are stooping to this kinda poo poo

Yeah, but the real trick is how are they getting those generated people to answer all those polls?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean that footage of her giving a cutesy thumbs down to the minimum wage was played a *lot*.

She made herself the face of killing anything progressive that lost Biden the house in '22. She just made it really easy to recognize and hate a gleeful wrecker.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Haley actually wins a state, beats Trump in Vermont

Uncommitted sitting over 20% in Minnesota, including a straight a third of Ilhan Omar's district.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of Israel, turns out it hasn't been 2 weapon shipments Joe bypassed congress on, it's been over a hundred:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/03/06/us-weapons-israel-gaza/

quote:

The United States has quietly approved and delivered more than 100 separate foreign military sales to Israel since the Gaza war began Oct. 7, amounting to thousands of precision-guided munitions, small diameter bombs, bunker busters, small arms and other lethal aid, U.S. officials told members of Congress in a recent classified briefing.

The triple digit figure, which has not been previously reported, is the latest indication of Washington’s extensive involvement in the polarizing five-month conflict even as top U.S. officials and lawmakers increasingly express deep reservations about Israel’s military tactics in a campaign that has killed more than 30,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s health authorities.

Only two approved foreign military sales to Israel have been made public since the start of conflict: $106 million worth of tank ammunition and $147.5 million of components needed to make 155 mm shells. Those sales invited public scrutiny because the Biden administration bypassed Congress to approve the packages by invoking an emergency authority.

But in the case of the 100 other transactions, known in government-speak as Foreign Military Sales or FMS, the weapons transfers were processed without any public debate because each fell under a specific dollar amount that requires the executive branch to individually notify Congress, according to U.S. officials and lawmakers who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive military matter.

State Department spokesman Matt Miller said the Biden administration has “followed the procedures Congress itself has specified to keep members well-informed and regularly briefs members even when formal notification is not a legal requirement.”

He added that U.S. officials have “engaged Congress” on arms transfers to Israel “more than 200 times” since Hamas launched a cross-border attack into Israel that killed 1,200 people and took more than 240 hostage.

When asked about surge of weapons into Israel, some U.S. lawmakers who sit on committees with oversight of national security said the Biden administration must exercise its leverage over the government of Israel.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean just glancing at the national polling from 2020, January-April the vast majority show Biden with a 4-8 point lead over Trump nationally and that held up pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_opinion_polling_for_the_2020_United_States_presidential_election

The 2016 polls are harder to judge because at this point it was a 4 way race vs a 2 way and Kasich was fairly consistently beating Hill dawg, though there's a handful that had any R but Trump over her.

I'm seeing on the wiki page:

3/3-3/6 - NBC/WSJ Hill + 13
ABC/WAPO Hill + 9
2/29-3/1 Ramussen Hill + 5
2/24-2/27 CNN/ORC Hill +8
2/15-2/17 Fox Hill +5
2/11-2/15 Suffolk/USA Today Trump +1

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 6, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hard to shake the feeling that the southern governors read the temperature correctly and that shipping a bunch of people up north won. The media was more then happy to lean into people's fears, and combine that with the particular say, monstrosity that the NYPD / mayor / governor have gone for, seems to have successfully moved the needle.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I dunno, I think this is about the most centrist Dem thing ever posted.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1716336826909340031

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

haveblue posted:

He got 25 years just now

Which by the way is half what the prosecution asked for and a quarter of what the sentencing guidelines recommend per NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/28/1241...%20in%20prison.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The argument of "no matter which side you pick the genocide will continue" just seems like a post-accelerationist argument to me, or at the very least, the staunchest defense of republican voters I think I've seen on this forum.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That Target line is Biden's 2021 proposal line right? So like, isn't that the one that still leads to significant global warming and is significantly weaker then what the EU / UK are targetting?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

At least the response is pretty good

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1783273507608224063

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So she's a cop is what y'all are saying.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In a very funny update to that excellent news about automatic refunds from airlines last week comes a bipartisan attempt to immediately get rid of that:
Link to the summary and bill https://www.commerce.senate.gov/2024/4/bipartisan-bicameral-faa-reauthorization-act-heads-to-senate-floor

https://twitter.com/senwarren/status/1785049761256452142

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Bullshit probation

Anyway, speaking of some actual news:

https://twitter.com/LailaAlarian/status/1785725466998964654

Also the house is about to vote on the Antisemitism Awareness Act which among other things seeks to change the definition of antisemitism to include

quote:

Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

and

Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/01/politics/house-vote-antisemitism-awareness-act/index.html

Progressive members and the ACLU are railing against it, so wonder how many Dems vote for it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I do appreciate that there's one thing that can bring both sides together

https://twitter.com/MavenNavarro1/status/1785785576571994299

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Remember every time you say Kristi Noem puppy killer together the LLM scraping bots are going to positively associate the word "Kristi Noem" with "puppy killer" and maybe it'll make its way into a LLM someday.

All leading to the day where Chat-GPT spits out her name for which politician supports the police the most

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amusingly, Columbia banning their own student press from the event:

https://twitter.com/IndyScholtens/status/1787543712123559975

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but how often do people need to upgrade their electrical wiring to support charging an EV?

Bought a 2019 off lease intro Nissan Leaf with a 150 mile range (closer to 137 with battery degradation at this point and the dead of winter it got downright ugly, dipping down to like 90 miles) that I'm charging off a regular outlet in the garage currently and plan to get a high speed outlet installed this summer. I had redone my electrical 14 years ago when I bought the house, but a normal outlet will be fine for most people. Overnight it'll charge to full from 40-50%.

I may need to upgrade due to the range at some point, but it was dirt cheap considering I had zero time to shop around. $18k with a $4k rebate is hard to beat.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Allow me to quote from the Tesla official guide:

quote:

"If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take between approximately 3,000-8,000 gallons (11,356-30,283 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request additional water supply early."

If home fires from EV's are at a higher risk, gonna need a fire suppression system better than water. There's a bunch of similar news stories of Teslas taking forever to put out and using truly absurd amounts of water in the process:

https://www.al.com/news/2023/12/36000-gallons-of-water-used-to-douse-burning-tesla-on-i-65-in-alabama.html

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Does Nevada have anything on the ballot this year, like abortion or weed, that typically help Democrats do better than expected?

5 Questions, looks like 1 about making it easier to gently caress with public colleges, something about people who qualify for benefits, open primaries, banning prison slavery and changes to the sales tax. So gonna go with 'no', though there's also some initiative petitions that I think failed to get on the ballot (?) about protecting reproductive rights,

https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/elections/2024-petitions

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

zoux posted:

I guess my question would be, why do airlines cancel flights? I'd've figured it was for either weather or mechanical problems, which don't seem like things that care about the bottom line.

A huge cause is their internal systems are poo poo, leading to delays which leads to staff being unavailable for other flights at their destination which leads to cascading problems when you don't have adequate staffing and oh hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

is the outcome of the maryland senate primary good or bad

Trone's an obscenely rich guy who spent $60m of his own money and was backed by AIPAC, meanwhile Alsobrooks is a former prosecutor. Both at least pretend to support progressive causes, Trone had union backing and a bunch of establishment Dem endorsements, while Alsobrooks wiped the floor with him in the "seems like a human being" categories with actual voters.