Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love gobbling up all the slots with 1 cost, 1 power crap and leaving the opponent stuck with like 4 creatures. Big hearkening back to Gwent spy strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I have a nice 1440 monitor that ps5 recognizes as 1440, and performance mode still looks terrible.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah that poo poo was cool. This game has had like 10 surprising, delightful sequences out of nowhere that are original and not lifted from the original game, and I'm only at under-Junon.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, the mini games in this are both faster and better than pretty much 99% of other games' mini games. There does seem to be possibly way way too many chocobo racing levels though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You can go back anywhere, but you might have to solve the pressing issue of the chapter you're in before you are able to. Though I haven't found a way to get back to Upper Junon. Does that place close off after you leave?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cait Sith slides down ziplines lying down and cape flapping like he's (it's?) superman. :3: I hate how his constant lies are to my face and vocalized all the time in this version.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Thundarr posted:

Ok so weapon upgrades and SP actually are the same thing, and the game was just confusing me by treating them as distinct ideas.

I could swear I've never seen somebody with an empty materia slot yet and said "oh that must be from a weapon upgrade". But as usual I have a mind like a steel sieve so maybe I just slammed something into the slot without thinking about it.

Don't forget about folios and manuscripts, also the same thing!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The Mangahanata or whatever book stores are stunningly pointless, except for providing more of that FF7 flavor in the one with the creepy owner employing 3 of the same type of speccy assistant girls

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Frankston posted:

Where the gently caress are the materials for the 'saga of the seaside quest'? I feel like I've scoured this entire area head to toe and I've only found 2 bundles but apparently there are 8??

They're at the top of each zip line. You will need to get to them before they're marked on your map. They're all in that general Costa del sol area.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

There's a handful of times you can't leave a town and need to use them.

That makes sense, but I don't know if I've ever felt like I needed a specific one of those weapon skill upgrades.

Is there an automatic upgrade option for those, come to think of it? And do you eventually get enough points to just get every node?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I swear I remember a piece of dialogue that said something like "Shinra discovered mako 5 years ago" and just nodded along like it was a detail from OG FF7 they were using without really interrogating.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Tricking little kids who play this game for a decade+

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah that is an insane problem. I was walking through the gym in Costa del sol region and the walking through the shadow of individual roof slats would cause the room to alternately become pitch black or blindingly white.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Bland posted:

Characters tend to barely react to things that should be a big deal in this game in general. Most egregious to me so far was when (big chapter 9 spoilers) The whole party decides to collectively never bring up the fact that Cloud just inexplicably tried to murder Tifa

This happens a chapter later, so spoilers, but there is a point where Barrett says something like, "Nibelheim isn't going to make Cloud freak out again, right?" and Red nudges him and quickly silences him. So maybe the party actually kind of sees what's going on, knows they still need to stick together to get anything done, so as long as the immediate danger has passed they think they can deal with it by keeping a close eye on him from now on. I'm still in Nibelheim so I don't know if that's where it goes. I guess he does still have an Aerith beating coming up, if the original story is followed. In general this game does try to have it both ways, with the fun open world RPG frolicking but also a mature reappraisal of the original story path and its implications, but I think it pretty much works. Seeing Cloud get deeper and deeper into his delusions as the party keeps growing closer together is a crazy feeling. Poor Tifa. But this all makes sense and should yield some epic confrontations and angst.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

I’m reaching the end of Chapter 10, and I’m starting to realize that we’re not getting Vincent or Cid yet. :smith:

In fact, this might seem greedy, but I still don’t feel like there’s enough in this game. I did get spoiled on one thing, that apparently this game ends around the Temple of the Ancients or something? Which is a little disappointing, I would have liked to at least get to the Northern Crater. There’s still so much we haven’t gotten to.

Well, there is a whole third game. I feel like this one has so many hits in it that what it leaves for the 3rd game might seem lacking, if this team weren't so drat competent. What I'm worried might not be/seemingly isn't in this game is Wutai. There's no way we don't go there in either this or the next game though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's for the best since it'll probably have to be even bigger than the original one, which was unreasonably big.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I hate fighting these stupid magic/phys immune enemies as solely Cait in the mansion. Thank you so much for these

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't know if she still plans it, but I'm gonna NEED a sequence where she still steals all your materia. Remix it, reinterpret it if they have to.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Dumb question, when you do the Shinra manor dungeon, at the very end of it, is there anything down the little hallway to Sephiroth's reading room? I went the other path first and Cloud's dumb brain programming took over and led me into the cutscene and I got locked out. Did I miss any items/lore by not checking the long hallway first?

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 9, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The last QB opponent got off to a terrible start and couldn't recover and it was really anticlimactic :cripes:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm always eager to check out and get the new weapon ability, even if a new weapon's stats and slots aren't doing it for me. And it's real fast to get the skill when you work at it for a couple battles.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Vitamean posted:

lmfao the rank 9 queen's blood opponent

I did not expect that at all

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Frankston posted:

The exploration music in cosmic canyon is starting to really grate as well with that drat fiddle wailing away constantly

that music rules!!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yakuza in midgar would have been sick

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I haven't used most of the other good ones people are talking about, due to not keeping up with chadley's chores, but sonic boom is nice for being useable in air and giving you a quick attack/matk buff.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

RatHat posted:

Suggestions on how to best use Cait Sith’s skill that uses a skill of your equipped summon?

I really wanted to try to coordinate ChocoMog's self destruct with the Cait ability to self destruct his stuffed mog "when it leaves combat" but the couple times I attempted it, it didn't seem to be doing more damage than just the summon self destruct. But this idea has to be doable.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

MechaX posted:

Got to Upper Junon. I feel like the game is cool, but I am not enjoying it to a phenomenal extent as some others. Still mostly having a good time. Some of my minor gripes:

1. Fort Condor started off neat but the last two maps really sucked
2. Yeah I don’t think there are any I-frames in the dodge, so I end up getting clipped by some fatass attack hitboxes. Trying to train myself to guard more
3. This game has entirely too much Chadley, kid I’m going to need you, and your friend, to dial it back a little, I feel like he has had quadruple more voiced lines than any one of my party members at this point

There are I frames, but guarding is more consistent. I haven't seen a dodge buff materia, but guard gets one and it's never left my Cloud. And yeah, Chadley is kind of an insanely omnipotent cruise director. I just take him as a gameplay consideration and don't let it affect my opinion of the story, but his ever presence could make the journey seem a lot smaller and less mysterious. They do some fun stuff with him that isn't just the Intel dialogue too.

But yeah, Upper Junon was a sequence of pure ecstasy for me. Try to do your troops proud.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I lost it when I got to that one and they said they're going to be on the same TV show as the dog

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

JBP posted:

The game's open world areas would be 500x better if Chadley and MAI were a vending machine with no dialogue and doing the open world objectives triggered two or three lines of party conversation or one of your team commenting on the nature of the region/info.

yeah Chadley can be cute, like many of the weirdos you meet and then move on from, but the way he is at the beginning and resolution of all those open world activities is really too much. Like you said, give me a party member commenting instead (as we're walking/riding away; don't lock me in the Chadphone animation 500 times throughout the game please)

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 12, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Seph posted:

Yuffi busting Cloud’s (and the audience’s) balls about Tifa clones was an all time FF moment for me.

I also loved whenever Yuffie was involved with a quest and she would bound ahead of everyone in the party like the huge kid she was. I've never seen that kind of thing in other games. Great character stuff.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Also if you're frustrated, try using Cait's random damage moves and see if you hit the jackpot. Those saved me a lot of time in that segment.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Arist posted:

I think you've misread the joke. It's not supposed to be funny because MAI is annoying, I don't really think she is either. It's funny because the core premise that Chadley invented an(other) artificial intelligence and they inexplicably loathe each other is just solid comedy.

this

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You don't have to play them

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I didn't get to do the full Kyrie mission in the grasslands because I think I had already gone to Junon, or possibly beyond, and Kyrie had canonically moved on. So I met a stuffed moogle and listened to a tape recording, and I did the collecting poo poo part of the mission, but I didn't hear her banger theme song until later.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Reraise doesn't work after phoenix expires right? At least it hasn't for me. The summons leave so quickly that it seems like that's a tight needle to thread, having someone die after you summon Phoenix, get two atb, then cast it, but before it leaves.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

MintFresh posted:

I’m still on chapter 9. When I played Remake, with the lockdown, I felt like I burned through that whole game in a week including playing Animal Crossing. It’s hard to compare the two game experiences (rebirth and remake) because I just don’t have time like I did during a lockdown. I feel like it’s affecting the Rebirth experience when you really can only play on weekends and have huge breaks between them

I know, it's loving bullshit

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:agreed: It was way too long. Would have been nice if they split some of the length by making (endgame location spoiler) Forgotten Capital into a dungeon

Haven't gotten to either place yet, but that place you mentioned was more moody and evocative of a place to spend time in than Ancient City, which was just an escher maze with tonberries in the original game and then a dramatic conclusion.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ytlaya posted:

I will just mutter to myself "not canon, not canon, not canon" during my inevitable Aerith date scene

Don't miss out on the Tifa date if that's what you want!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Rabid Snake posted:

Gongaga has to be one of the worst designed maps in an open game ever. A main reason why I dislike open map games is the time it takes to go from point A to point B without anything interesting happening. Now imagine if you are given the coordinates and the pathways going from point A to point B are hidden with height differences. The map is never clear on where to go unless you fast travel back to and try different points. I normally get every tower for each region along with each fight detail / proto relic bare minimum but gently caress this map design.

Yeah, the mushroom paths were begging for some blatant UI signalling, like those lifestream wisps you see occasionally. Or at least markings on the map after you use each one. That made the Cosmo Canyon paths to specific hard to reach areas a lot easier to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You'd think he'd want the shades on for more of the time when he LEAVES Midgar, too